The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

On my first record, the credit reads “produced by David Crosby”. But he didn’t produce it. The record company didn’t trust me at all – but they trusted him because of the Byrds. So we told them that he was going to produce it, and he just made sure that everyone stayed out of my way.

2. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing, its nice to hear her in good spirits:

3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

My God, it's full of stars...

[​IMG]

peskypesky, bluemooze and imarcq like this.
  4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My order came in from Oldies.com. It was crushed with two of the edges completely split. Back it goes with me having to eat shipping both ways. What a complete waste of time and money.

I ordered it from Joni’s site as well, but they didn’t give me a tracking number so I hope it arrives one day...and in better shape than this.

5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

CD box, vinyl, what?

6. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Sorry to hear that. My Oldies order showed up Monday without issue.

Kristofa likes this.
  7. Kristofa

It was the CD box. And I looked at the original shipping email and there was a tracking number. It is in town, so I am eager for a box I can open! :goodie:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I really like this set, but the number of duplicate songs, even with the different performances -- not complaining, totally to be expected given the nature of the release -- keeps me from listening to more than one or two discs per sitting.

daleyguy likes this.
  9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Imagine if they put everything on this set. ;) They left a lot out (wisely) to avoid Circle Game fatigue.

Work is getting going on volume 2 and I expect less duplication this time around.

daleyguy, PedzVW and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  10. Kristofa

I got my box from the Joni site today. It is perfect. Not a blemish, and it is nicer than I was expecting. Very happy! Bye bye, Oldies.com Never again!

jlf and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Who can sit in one place for that long anyway?

12. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Well, I don't mean a literal sitting. I can frequently listen to 4-5 CDs or LPs in a row.

13. jlf

Do you switch seats when the music stops? ;)

Musical Chairs likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe you are too young to have played musical chairs.
    When the music stops, you quick sit down.
    If you take the time to change seats, you will be called out.
    No cake for you.

[​IMG]

15. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I received an invoice yesterday from FedEx regarding the shipment from Oldies.
    In addition to the Joni, I ordered three other albums - and now have to pay $49.90 to FedEx for an "advancement fee", a "clearance entry fee", and Canadian taxes. :mad:

Thanks for letting me know about that when I ordered, Oldies. :tsk:
    And so ends the saga of my first - and last - order with Oldies. I will be calling them to let them know. :thumbsdow

16. Rioub

Rioub Forum Resident

Just got the set. The "Pastures Of Plenty" glitch is disappointing. Definitely sounds like a CD ripping error, but it's also present on the iTunes version, so I presume it's on every version.

Surely there has to be a replacement program for CD1.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

adamos and jlf like this.
  18. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Thanks for the link and efforts, Chromitica.

Quick query. ON the Early Joni single Lp vinyl blurb, (you?) wrote that it was a companion piece to the box set from which it is derived.

But on the blurb for the Canterbury 3 Lp set you? write it was exclusive to vinyl, but isn't it the same show as the box set show which takes up half of disc 4 and all of disc 5?

Or am I being confused or too pedantic?

Just curious, thanks again.

19. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

Important distinction! Thank your for pointing that out. I reworded it so it now says “This separate live album was pressed exclusively on vinyl, though it serves as a companion to ''Joni Mitchell Archives – Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963–1967)'', from which its material is derived.” Does that seem clearer to you, or do you have a suggestion?

WHMusical likes this.
  20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I have one. Replace "from which its material is derived" to "which contains many more recordings from the same time period in her career".

WHMusical likes this.
  21. yawitz

yawitz Forum Resident

As I read this, the confusion stems from whether the material on the separate vinyl is included on the full CD box set; calling it a "companion" to the box suggests it is otherwise not found on that box. Perhaps explain that the vinyl contains recordings also found on the full box set.

WHMusical likes this.
  22. jlf

Yeah, just call it a break-out from the box set or a standalone vinyl edition of a performance from the box set. Description applies to Canterbury and Early Joni 63, of course.

WHMusical likes this.
  23. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

All good suggestions, and glad to know your on the case and got it sorted and that I was understanding your meaning and intent. Great link/wonderful Archival set from Joni!

24. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

Any more comments on the black vinyl pressing quality?

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just got the black vinyl of Early Joni 1963 and it is flat and well pressed.