The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

Here’s to more releases in 2021!

aseriesofsneaks and Alan57 like this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I was hoping for Urge For Going from Let's Sing Out, one of my very favorite things on youtube.... But the song is well represented, and we do already have that clip to enjoy.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Work is under way. Nothing else to report.

Jimbino, Alan57, GregorSamsa and 3 others like this.
  4. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Finally got my copy due to a nice $20 price drop....really digging it. I really hope we get a volume 2

polk likes this.
  5. jlf

It will happen.

6. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

After listening to all five discs, I am left wondering why no studio demos were made for any of these early songs. If there actually are any early (or later) studio recorded demos hopefully they will be released on forthcoming volumes.

7. jlf

Not many studio sessions were done in this period. I’m sure there’s a good reason studio sessions weren’t included on volume 1. I have a good feeling we’ll see Mitchell blossom into a studio artist in volume 2, though. Stay patient, it’s on the way.

8. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Thanks! I was hoping you'd say that!

9. jlf

So how is everyone enjoying Volume 1? It’s as if threads on SHF dry up right after announcement day! :laugh:

adamos and SteveM like this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m really glad I got it. It’s been a little while since my last listen but I look forward to circling back soon.

GregorSamsa and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Thanks of the tease! Hoping for Vol. 2 this year, i know production has many challenges right now with Covid.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Chromatica

So excited! I just heard Joni’s rendition of Dink’s Song again today, and it’s just so beautiful.

jlf likes this.
  13. Wonderful box.Up to expectations which were high.For non hard core fans the period from Ladies Of The Canyon through to Hejira will be the mother lode.
    To see the growth in her songwriting in real time is a revelation.
    Outside of the Richard and Linda Thompson box it was my favourite “career spanning” box of 2020.(Disclaimer.My Neil Young Archives box still hasn’t arrived as it is being held hostage at a Canada Post delivery centre apparently).

GregorSamsa, WaterLemon and jlf like this.
  14. Chromatica

Hejira is going to be amazing. I wonder how they’re going to space them, content-wise? Every five years?

15. I’m guessing that taking Volume 2 up to and including For The Roses and then having Volume 3 going from Court And Spark through to Mingus would be a good fit musically and commercially.
    They are well progressed with work on Volume 2 and I’m optimistically hoping for release late this year so we should find out.Just hoping Rhino don’t decide to change these to their new normal of combining vinyl and CD in 1 package.

16. jlf

I have a feeling there might be more than three volumes.

aseriesofsneaks and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. Great.In my hypothetical plan Volume 4 would start with the Geffen years.
    Before the first volume came out I was unsure if I’d go past the end of the seventies.Having lived with that for 3 months I am now sure I am in for the whole trip.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I would definitely buy that box. Those are the only years I'm interested in (1970-1976). I wonder how this series will proceed?

19. I think those years will be split over 2 boxes.

20. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Waiting five years would be torturous (especially for Hejira material). I'd rather Joni enjoy my money ASAP.

If they spent 5CDs on 1963 - 1967, it would be a great disservice to compress to compress her golden era to just two sets, unless they're double the size of the first volume. A few years ago, there were 2CD sets planned for her big albums during that period, then later a boxset with a DVD (which became Love Has Many Faces).

21. I think the 5 years referred to the timespan covered in each box rather than the time between releases.With the way sales of physical music are trending it makes no sense to delay release of archival product.I am hoping for an annual release.
    With regard to your second point the first volume had a large number of unreleased songs.I doubt there is as many of these for the later periods.Also each of the timespans I am guessing at covers 5 albums.A 5 disc set gives you about 80 minutes of live recordings and alternates for each which is probably about right.They might go to 6 discs but beyond that they would be wary about putting out 20 versions of Both Sides Now or equivalent repeats I would think.
    Also keeping the price at around where Volume 1 was would encourage sales.Once you move into high price 10 disc sets a lot more people will pass on them.

22. jlf

Here’s how I’d break it down if it’s spanning Mitchell’s entire career, though it starts getting difficult after the Asylum years.
    Vol. 1: 1963-1967
    Vol. 2: 1968-1971
    Vol. 3: 1972-1975
    Vol. 4: 1976-1981
    Vol. 5: 1982-1991
    Vol. 6: 1992-1997
    Vol. 7: 1998-2021

23. That’s more than I was thinking they would do but I would love it if this was the plan.Based on Volume 1 the more the better.

24. jlf

Yeah that’s just what I’d like to see. Not too sure how many they’re planning.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Is one box per year too much to ask? I'm sure Joni would like to be around for the entire run.

GregorSamsa and sacdfan like this.