The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

My free artwork from the Joni Store arrived in the mail yesterday (music shipping separately later).

JDeanB, qtrules and jlf like this.
  2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Was wondering if Archives 3 will include any live recordings from her US tour of early 76 ? Never heard any songs from these shows. No Tom Scott, but still accompanied by the LA Express.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    JDeanB and kmk pdx like this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The scope of Archives 3 will be 1972-1975, so it’s unlikely to include the 1976 tour material.

4. chrisblower

Thanks

5. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Really looking forward to the next Archives set after reading some of what will be on it upthread. Not that I want to rush through the holidays, but can't wait for next Spring. It's like being young and reading in print (long before the internet was even an idea) that so and so was in the studio, and I knew then a new album was in the works and I waited week after week for the release. Here's to 2023!

GregorSamsa likes this.
  6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Well-Known Member

I can confirm that Joni was personally involved with the Quad mixes. I got it from Joel Bernstein, Joni friend and photographer. He would sometimes bring work into the professional photo lab I worked for in San Francisco. Super nice guy. I asked if the Quad mixes of Court and Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns would ever be released and he said the tapes were ready, but didn't know when or if they would be released on CD. This was over 15 years ago. My personal favorite track of those is "Raised on Robbery", where you can hear Robbie Robertson's great rhythm guitar work more clearly. Joel once brought in the film from the cover shoot for Hejira, which is a favorite, and I was able to print some of those shots for him. He also brought in personal items of Neil Young for us to scan, as we were the first to be doing high-res scans in the city way back when. I remember the hand-written lyrics of "Cinnamon Girl" on a napkin, especially. Good times.

7. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

That is a great story. Thanks for the confirmation about the quads. What a career you have had!

bleachershane likes this.
  8. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I have a digital copy of the quad version of Court And Spark and at least on my transfer, lot of Joni's harmonies are missing on Raised On Robbery. I don't remember whether other songs also have differences.

9. jlf

One difference - People’s Parties has a cold ending so it doesn’t crossfade into Same Situation

Hep Alien, daleyguy and qtrules like this.
  10. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

Unfortunate, as Joni's short-lived spring '76 tour served basically to promote the Hissing of Summer Lawns LP, which is included in the next batch of remasters - though perhaps leaving this out will enable them to include more 72-75 material on those 5 discs.

The '76 tour was good, maybe not great, but I was glad to catch one of the few shows (Syracuse). Highlight for me was the newly-unveiled Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, which she flowed into directly from Coyote (same tuning). (She'd earlier performed Coyote during some of her Rolling Thunder Review spots in late '75.) Love or Money, Harry's House, Free Man in Paris and In France were other highlights. Some of the new material (Talk to Me) wasn't as impressive, and Jungle Line was hardly a good encore song, though her take on Twisted surely is. There are one or 2 recordings from the tour floating around out there, well worth hearing.

Another interesting question is whether the next Archives set will include any of her Rolling Thunder Review performances from late Nov.-early Dec. 1975. You can actually find a few of these online at Bill Graham's Concert Vault site, the best of which imho is the newly-written Don't Interrupt the Sorrow.

Hep Alien, GregorSamsa and WaterLemon like this.
  11. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I was lucky enough to have seen a show on this tour. I would love a recording from it.

12. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Got my artwork as well via UPS. Seems strange to send it separately from the music. They did the same things with the Reprise Years boxset art.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  13. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Just listened. This live "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow" is chill-inducing.

14. chrisblower

Lucky you. She never made Europe that year. Hopefully there will be something in Archive 4.

Amoepe and JDeanB like this.
  15. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Wish I could see it again now. My appreciation would be much greater than it was when I was 18.

16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

listening to the live version of woodstock from the new box, and wow what a groove! really looking forward to listening to all of this.

GregorSamsa, aseriesofsneaks and jlf like this.
  17. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Another 'preview' dropped today of the Asylum Albums (1972-1975) box set:

18. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

We're getting close!

19. Pineapple

Pineapple Well-Known Member

Evening all, I’ve got a question, and I’ve had a trawl through this site (it’s a goldmine!)

With the album Travelogue do we know about which other songs were tried/recorded but didn’t make the final cut? I’ve seen references to Coyote being recorded but nothing else.

Just curious….

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's probably not that strange, the art is likely shipping from a different place than the distributor doing the record boxes.
    Sending the artwork to the customer means they don't have to have a plan to match up all the boxes of inventory of records
    with orders from Joni's site.

21. jlf

2022 remaster of “In France They Kiss On Main Street”

22. jlf

Coyote is definite. She sang along to its orchestral backing track at one appearance in 2002 before the album was complete. There is also footage of the recording sessions that was going to be turned into a documentary before plans changed.

23. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Ah, OK. That makes sense. Thanks!

DeRosa likes this.
  24. Pineapple

Pineapple Well-Known Member

Thats cool, thank you. Maybe in 2027 we shall hear it!

jlf and The Sprawl like this.
  25. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

think i might be at the point of waiting for the whole albums before i listen to these previews for the first time. can't wait.