The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Any speculation on what might be on the next Archives set? The only things I know of for certain are the Hissing of Summer Lawns-era demos, which are phenomenal by the way, and I'm hoping Joni has access to higher generation copies of these at her disposal.

Anything else known to exist from the era the next Archives set will probably cover?

2. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

A lengthy piano suite of Court and Spark songs was mentioned in a recent Uncut article.

4. Live tracks from shows for For The Roses and Court And Spark.Jif mentioned a BBC show before the release of For The Roses and featuring songs from that album.
    Court And Spark and Hissing Of Summer Lawns were the first Joni albums where a band was really integrated into the recording process.That should make the alternates/outtakes from both fascinating.

Hep Alien, JDeanB, qtrules and 4 others like this.
  5. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Hopefully a complete Miles of Aisles show including all the Court and Spark songs. The Raised on Robbery encore reduced me to tears that night.

Hep Alien, Amoepe, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  6. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

My Asylum CD set shipped from Target today! So excited.

7. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Picked up my set. Cranking COURT right now as my second disc. The pressing is dead quiet (quieter than some of the UHQR/One Steps I own), enveloping sound, absolutely glorious. Mild "crunch" on the end of title track's last bass blast, don't know if it's my setup or the pressing, will check with another copy.

Save for the minor blip this thing right out of the Degritter pre-clean is absolutely stunning. Later comes comparisons with the DCC, the 1st Candian, etc. For now, I'll revel in the beauty of Joni's magic and this beautifully mastered edition.

Pnin, EddieMann and qtrules like this.
  8. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I've had a bit of a listen to the remasters - I don't think they're going to knock the HDTracks versions off my archive, but they do sound very nice!

I look forward to listening end-to-end. I just hope there aren't sound issues like with the last set. And more so the new ATMOS mixes.

Pnin and qtrules like this.
  9. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...wait, there's a surround mix of these?

10. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Can't seem to edit...anyhoo, tried second copy, same issue at same place. Amusingly sounds like the crunch I get on my KOB UHQR in Blue/Green.

Another minor issue on side two. The vinyl is so quiet otherwise these very small issues stand out all the more.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

CDs arriving tomorrow. I’m not expecting to chuck my DCC Court And Spark, but I’m very curious about what they’ve done.

bleachershane likes this.
  12. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...for those curious I messed with anti skate just for giggles to see if it affected anything - nopers.

For what it's worth going over and over seems to be mildly reducing (or in getting used to it) so who knows.

Now onto the third record, only to find mild distortion on first track, clean the rest of the way.

Oh, vinyl...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

No distortion on digital files ;)

14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Did some here get it early? If you have & listen to it do tell.

maui jim likes this.
  15. Chromatica

16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Any news of Joni's return to Spotify?

17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the day is finally here!!! this will be my soundtrack for the next little while.

18. Chromatica

I hope soon!

19. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

She followed Neil's lead on leaving Spotify, and he's long had problems with Spotify even preceding the Joe Rogan thing. So I have to imagine that it's not happening any time soon.

20. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Think the latest CDs look and sound lovely. Spent the afternoon listening to both Hissing and Miles. Delightful and recommended.

21. The remasters from Qobuz in 24/192 are great sounding. Will also be listening a lot.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  22. Ryuta

Ryuta New Member

23. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

Several people, including me, have spotted an error on the COURT AND SPARK CD from the new box set.
    "Peoples Parties" and "Same Situation" are combined as one track (#4) and then "Same Situation" is also track 5, so it appears twice.

CBackley and frightwigwam like this.
  24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Yep, this was disappointing when I first heard about it (I bought the set anyway). Hopefully, Rhino will be make it known to all purchasers of this set that they're aware of the error and they'll be correcting it in due course.

frightwigwam likes this.
  25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Perhaps this is why my preorder from Joni’s site hasn’t shipped yet.