The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by More Than A Feeling, May 13, 2021.

1. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

One of the greatest singers of all time. Continuously inventive from her debut to the present day. Hits like Wuthering Heights, Babooshka and Running Up That Hill to a treasure trove of deep cuts. There is not a bad song in her whole discography. Kate Bush has influenced hundreds of artists over the years. Kate Bush has been seen as one of the definitive acts of her generation and she's deserving of every little bit of it and more. Here we will discuss her legendary music.

clip, Kundalini, Jarleboy and 28 others like this.
  2. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

We've had many Kate threads on here over the years but a new one is always welcome.

I admit I hate seeing her described as "the greatest singer", because while it's obviously high praise and she is a great one, she is so much more than. The voice is just one of the potent arrows in the quiver but hardly the whole of it in my opinion. Great singer, but also great lyricist, arranger, musician, producer...

A great creative... bona fide auteur.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And Dancer, Choreographer, or as I just refer to her, The Best Female Music Artist in my Lifetime-IMO.
    As far as Singer, I do not care for her Early Years Voice, despite loving her Music on those Albums, but do like her more Mature, Adult Voice. Chaka Khan takes the Singing Crown in my Music World.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

Hundreds? Did someone Clone Tori Amos?:whistle:

DigitalDave74 likes this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Too many GREAT albums in one (small) discography. Such a complete and original artist. Gotta love her!
    This is a welcome thread and I'm glad to be here since page 1.

6. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

No argument here!
    And totally agree re "later Kate" voice: my preference as well. I love the early stuff but her work from Never For Ever forward is what makes her one of the most important and influential recording artists ever.

And yes, seeing her in 2014 is one of the greatest experiences of my concertgoing life. Just wish the exchange rate was better then so I could've seen the show twice as I'd have liked to!

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Thorpy, FJFP, sleepjar and 5 others like this.
  7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Kate Bush was the first woman to top the UK chart with a self-written song (i.e. Wuthering Heights in 1978). Just imagine, before 1978 no woman ever topped the charts in the UK with a self-written song. This alone must have inspired lots of women.

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Not forgetting that her influence transcends gender and anything else.

Kundalini, Jarleboy, FJFP and 7 others like this.
  9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I am surprised this thread didn't exist before now!

The Dreaming is my favorite album. So creative.

Was it really seven years ago that she had the live concerts? Great memories.

Kundalini, supernaut, mcd4959 and 8 others like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

Lucky You getting to see one of the Before the Dawn Performances. I keep holding out hope for it to be released on BluRay(with 5.1 and Atmos options), as apparently at least one of the Shows was captured with High Quality Video Equipment, but KB apparently thinks those of us, who could not see one of her Live Performances, should just have access to the Audio and imagine the Video Presentation:sigh:.

Br3tto and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

rikki nadir, lobo, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Bjork as well is another obvious Kate fan

Not just female singers Midge Ure is a big fan and they collaborated on one of his solo tracks

Probably Peter Gabriel too

Kundalini and tin ears like this.
  13. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

I was also lucky enough to see Before The Dawn live. Kate has said that the filming didn't meet expectations, so it seems unlikely that we'll get the video any time soon, which is a shame. It was of course brilliant and highly theatrical. That doesn't always translate to film, and I certainly wouldn't doubt her vision. It's a shame more people can't see it as recorded, as it's likely better than the audience videos out there.

The Kate Bush Picture Collection on Facebook Watch

14. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

I discovered the wonders of Kate in college, when I picked up used copies of The Dreaming and Hounds Of Love out of curiosity. and they both blew my mind. I used to have the VHS tape of The Whole Story, along with The Cure's Staring At The Sea and The Best Of Elvis Costello, and we would smoke our brains out and watch them over and over in my dorm room. I still love Kate today, too bad she never had much of a following here in the States.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Kate Who? :hide:

DigitalDave74, Michael and scobb like this.
  16. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

I don't think I can overstate my love for Kate Bush's music. Kate is a true genius. My favorite album is either The Dreaming or Hounds Of Love depending on my mood. But I adore all of her albums with the possible exception of The Director's Cut (loved most of those songs better in their original form). My favorite Kate Bush song is "Moments Of Pleasure" off of The Red Shoes. The song is a masterpiece. Love all things Kate Bush related. Heck, I watched Wuthering Heights (1939) earlier tonight in her honor! So hope she gives us at least one more album. That would be incredible.

Thorpy, Kundalini, Gavman and 8 others like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of those unique talents that happen every once in a while.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I madly love The Kick Inside!

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

One of my top 4 favorite musical artists, and quite possibly my very favorite if I had to choose just one! I wish she were more prolific, but what she has released has brought an amazing amount of joy and inspiration to my life.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Kundalini, garrincha, MitchLT and 8 others like this.
  22. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident

Kate Bush is an entirely unique artist , I adore her music.

23. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I confess that there was a time when Kate Bush was, for me, just a footnote in the career of David Gilmour (me being a Pink Floyd fanatic) .... It's possible that I have a cd of The Dreaming (for "Pull Out The Pin") but I can't find it at the moment .... There's a video of Gilmour doing "Running Up That Hill" with her that I watched many times back when I first tivo'd it ....
    And there's a couple tracks with Prince and Jeff Beck that I ripped along the way for my collection.

But over the years I have read much of what is said about her, absorbed her reputation and appreciated the passion of her fans ..... and the curiosity has been slowly building .....

..... to the point that I just took the plunge and ordered a cd of The Kick Inside .
    I am now taking steps out onto the slippery slope ! :wave:

There are a lot of Kate fans on this forum. I'm a bit surprised that this thread didn't take off more.
    so I will tag all these thread-starting members.
    @Chris DeVoe @lettheflamesbegin @Dog Ear @Sear @Retro Music Man @Eleventh Earl of Mar @Markarrow @Fawltykog @Tim Crowley @Aar Gal @Valen2260 @Steve Mc @SPARTACUS @Jaco944 @Harry Hotspur @Phil Tate

Also ...... photos !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :cheers:

Kate Bush: Hounds of Love or The Dreaming?
    Steven Wilson talking about Kate Bush
    Kate Bush "The kick inside"
    Kate Bush becomes a Fellow of The Ivors Academy
    Darkest/saddest lyric that Kate Bush released
    Kate Bush: Director's Cut (1958-2020); New Mojo The Collectors’ Series
    Happy 35th Birthday Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love.
    Kate Bush, prog or not.
    Fullhouse - Underappreciated Kate Bush Track?

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  24. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Discovered her in early 2019, and “Running Up That Hill” is already just twelve spins away from being my most played track.

warewolf95 and tug_of_war like this.
  25. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

I sure hope she makes another album.

Haggischomper, Galeans, Moshe and 3 others like this.