The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by More Than A Feeling, May 13, 2021.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

“Wuthering Heights” was No. 1 for four weeks. Hope she matches or exceeds that. She already missed a week at No. 1 because of the chart rule not being waived yet.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you're interested in Kate's career, there is one book you need to read - Graeme Thomson's Under The Ivy.

Currently it's less than $10 via Amazon's Kindle app.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Ivy-Li...&dplnkId=7832d2d9-035b-403f-b4aa-b116200fb0a4

It's thoroughly researched and respectful of Kate and her music. He interviewed everybody he could, and dug deeply through all of the fan created resources like Gaffa.org.

And of course I was overjoyed to discover that he not only saw Before The Dawn on the same night we did, he was actually in the same row as we were and wrote about our friend Richard Klecka in the introduction of the third edition.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I’m kind of reluctant to read this book.
    I’m not a huge reader but I do like the occasional biography. However this book and the ABBA book I haven’t read despite both getting rave reviews and are apparently thoroughly researched. I think it’s that I’m almost afraid of knowing too much about them and going off them a little. Both acts are fairly secretive, especially Kate and Agnetha, and both mostly disappeared for a long time.

Maybe one day…

4. Chris DeVoe

I can assure you, you don't find out anything about Kate that makes you dislike her.

Two things that stuck with me:

Virtually everybody that worked with her fell in love with her.

She sunbathed topless in Nice while making Lionheart.

This is as thorough a biography of Kate Bush as is possible without her direct cooperation, and nobody is ever going to get that. I've read all three editions, and discovered a single error remaining in the third one, which was an error of transcription:

[​IMG]
    The type of tape was actually a U-Matic, Sony's brand name for their three-quarter inch cassette video format.

I did read Bright Lights, Dark Nights and came away a little depressed by it but still glad I did so.

longdist01, KJTC, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  5. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

"She sunbathed topless in Nice while making Lionheart"

Sales of binoculars broke all sales records in Nice that month. :)

6. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

7. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

8. Chris DeVoe

That's great! I have no doubt she's made at least a million dollars from the sync rights from Stranger Things, given how many times it's used in the series.

I loved this part:

Unlike many artists, Kate Bush owns the entire recording copyright to the original recordings of her music. She owns these masters through an independent record label of her own called Noble & Brite. Only the distribution for “Running Up That Hill” is done by a third party, Warner Music Group, leading the website Music Business Worldwide to estimate she’s bringing in more than 80% of her music revenues and calling her the “world’s biggest independent artist right now.”

Bush will also make money on physical and digital sales of her music. And because she’s the only songwriter listed on the single, she’ll receive all of the radio airplay revenue, too—plus whatever money Netflix paid her for song rights in Stranger Things.
    Remember, that because Kate actually owns her masters, she gets the record company share from Spotify and other streaming services, paying them only a much more reasonable percentage as an administrative fee.

[​IMG]

Anybody who's telling you that Spotify is the one who's ripping the artists off, probably works for a label. Here's the pre-tax distribution. The labels are getting double what the platform gets, ie the people who are actually doing the work:

[​IMG]

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

RUTH was played in this morning’s yoga class.

I was talking about music with my daughter, and she asked “Who’s Kate Bush?” She’s not really a Stranger Things fan either.

sunspot42 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Slim Pickins

My ex liked Tori Amos but not Kate. She even preferred a cover of RUTH to the original. Tori is okay.

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

12. Slim Pickins

Paul sounds like he's off the Macca train.

13. Chris DeVoe

I'm always amazed that nothing similar happens with male singer/songwriters. Nobody ever says "I'm into Jackson Brown, but not into Todd Rundgren". The assumption is that you can like both. Nobody ever describes Father John Misty as a "Cat Stevens knock-off."

14. Slim Pickins

NPI

15. Slim Pickins

Eight years my junior. I get it. Kate who?

16. Chris DeVoe

17. Slim Pickins

I should have been there but I'm afraid to fly.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

19. Chris DeVoe

We were so lucky that we were able to get tickets. When they went on pre-sale was one of the most stressful experiences I've ever had. Part of it was due to the fact that actual access was dependent upon using a link in the email, which we didn't find out until 30 minutes into the sale.

We were lucky enough to get very good seats dead center on the floor about 20 rows back. My wife Vickie spent the entire summer trying to hook people who had extra tickets up with people who needed tickets, concentrating on couples, for free.

Ultimately, a friend of ours had three extra tickets in the sixth row. A friend of ours came from Bali for the show, and turned out was sending a couple of seats away from the author of the best biography of Kate and wound up in the introduction to the third edition of his book Under The Ivy.

Our original two seats went to two Italian photographer friends, Armando Gallo (the famous Genesis and Peter Gabriel photographer) and a friend of his he hadn't seen in years Guido Harari, who had been hired by Kate to photograph her for her fan newsletter.

Our friend was on the aisle seat, right by where Kate was carried up the aisle during Hello Earth, and which she marched back down just before The Morning Fog. Which meant I was within 6 ft of her.

longdist01, bob60, andycherry and 3 others like this.
  20. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I don't think Del Palmer is a fan of the book though. I seem to remember him having a rant about it on Facebook. He's been very quiet on Facebook this year maybe he's working on something...

21. Chris DeVoe

Kate and her family have never liked any biography of her and have never cooperated with any writer. I remember Del ranting, but if I recall correctly, he didn't have any specific complaints or cite any inaccurate claims. He just passed along Kate's annoyance that anyone wrote a book about her.

sunspot42 and Fawltykog like this.
  22. Fawltykog

Brought this yonks ago, only goes up to the release of 'Never For Ever" but is a fair bio of Mrs Bush unlike that 'Princess Of Suburbia' rush job.

[​IMG]

Moshe and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

I've read both Vermoral books, Kerry Juby, Rob Javanovic and this Kerton one.

It has become an article of faith among Kate fans to trash the Vermoral books, but his second one had interesting stuff about Kate's grandfather, the conscientious objector and was the one that best captured how East Wickham Farm was basically an arts colony.

I'll read what I want, and don't have any reason to worry that Kate is going to unexpectedly drop by my house, inspect my bookshelves and flounce out in a snit.

As I've said several times before, I'm a fan not a sycophant, and Kate Bush herself is not a Kate Bush fan and frequently makes decisions that are very much at odds with what the fans would want (like a Blu-ray of Before The Dawn.)

longdist01, bob60, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I don’t mean to discourage anyone but I read 2 chapters and found perhaps too much detail. So this could be perfect for someone wanting to dig deep. I guess growing up with her, much of her professional life has been written about or gleeened from interviews, etc.The book awaits on my self..Then again I always seem to be in about 5 books at a time and too much time at SHF

I would like to get back to it
    Perhaps focus in on some specific chapters

I did read Peter Reich’s A Book Of Dreams which inspired Cloudbusting

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Fawltykog

I was tempted to take the book along to the 'Dreaming' signing Mrs Bush did in London, but decided to not push my luck, after all it was more than enough to say 'hello and love your music' and get a signed LP.

(Which i years later sold to get some Beatles goodies, something i regret doing to this very day... Idiot) :(

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.