The Kinks 2018 digital (streaming/download) remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

"On March 30th, 7 remastered titles from the PYE catalogue will be made available to download and stream."

Mastered For iTunes as well. No more information available as of yet, only that a certain 'Matt' remastered them.

2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I liked the first version better!

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

If they are better than the awful Sandoval/Hersch remasters, I'm totally in.

omranger and bobcat like this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Mastered For iTunes AAC files to download? No, thanks. If they were ALAC, I might be tempted.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Man how many cracks are we gonna take at these? I agree that the first sample they played (the old "bad" one) sounded better! More treble and brittleness!

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I read on Sandoval's FB page that Tim Young mastered these, Sandoval supervised. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have an issue with the last batch so I'd doubt I'll spring for these. He also mentioned that there will be hi-res versions at some point.

7. They Call Me M

They Call Me M Wall History Nerd

I'll have to check out a few of these. Some of those old Pye recordings are in dire need of a remaster....

Jarleboy and FJFP like this.
  8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Weird that Arthur's been skipped...

dbsea and Maffune like this.
  9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can a moderator add this bit to the opening post and remove the 'Matt' bit? Thanks.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@Dave Hoos

I’ll wait for SQ reviews before purchasing.

Surferghost and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

Not to me. It’s The Kinks, after all. Remember we’ve yet to see a reissue of Lola on vinyl.

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The Village Green Preservation Society has also been skipped, but we know a 50th anniversary edition is in the works. Skipping Arthur could be a sign that an Arthur reissue is coming too.

13. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

When I first watched the video, I said, "Yeah, this sounds pretty good." Then Ray said "That's what it sounded like before?" and I deflated a bit.

The second one has more clarity on the acoustic guitar? Uhh... I love you, Sir Ray, but, um, I think you're wrong. Very wrong. It seriously sounds like a rough mix with no EQ. Pity.

Also, his comments about how the Kinks are perfect for modern mastering kind of made me short-circuit. Surely when Dave poked those holes in his speaker cone, he wasn't grumbling "Until they invent digital clipping, I guess this'll have to do."

For what it's worth, I don't think the deluxe editions sound that bad. Bad, yeah, but not close to the 2009 Stones remasters, or the 2011 Nirvana remaster, or anything in this millenium produced by Dave Fridmann or anything. Guess it remains to be seen how these sound straight up, rather than secondhand through a lousy Twitter video. I do prefer the first clip, though. We'll see.

pantofis, EVOLVIST and Flaming Torch like this.
  14. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. I think the Kinks deluxes are just as bad as those releases, if not worse. They took music that was already brash and course, added a massive amount of EQ around 8K and a hefty dose of compression, and the results are far more brash and course. Can't listen to them at all. If anything, they should have gone in the total opposite direction. The "Anthology" box is even worse...I couldn't believe that people were praising something that sounded that heinous.

Which brings me to...

The artists themselves are often the impetus behind crappy mastering jobs, and I can't help but wonder if this batch will be more of the same unlistenable crap, despite the different mastering team.

omranger, They Call Me M and bobcat like this.
  15. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I hope for the best. Tim Young is a promising choice. I also expect Arthur will get a new reissue next year.

16. I really like the Deluce editions but I prefer vinyl

17. KinkySmallFace1991

As stated, I will wait for SQ reviews before biting the bullet.

If these new masters aren’t good, I’ll put my grandma’s new turntable to work and rip the mono vinyl box and the reissue EPs to FLAC.

Dave Armstrong and Dave Hoos like this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I pass, I'm fine with the deluxe editions. But if they're planning a 50th anniversary Village Green, I'm definitely in (the same applies to Arthur).

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Mmm... go listen to "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" (especially the second verse) and then go back to the Kinks and it will be an improvement. Not much of one, but still an improvement.

And yes. The artist, 90% of the time, is the catalyst in awful sound. Sometimes unintentionally: "Do you want people to listen to your music at a high volume?" "Yeah, that would be great!" "Hello, Howie Weinberg? Yes, I'd like to submit an album for mastering."

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh wow, yeah - the second clip in that video sounds really bloated and imbalanced. Oh dear...

Laservampire likes this.
  21. tages

tages Senior Member

I've yet to hear a Kinks CD (from the PYE catalog) that sounds like the original UK vinyl.

I've said it before, but it was shocking to me when I started collecting them how much "fuller" and deeper they sounded on their intended format. Whenever I read on here how badly they were recorded, it just makes me think the person writing has been stuck with thin sounding or overly compressed CD versions.

I thought the same until I saved up some money to hear what I'd been missing and couldn't believe the difference. Suddenly, their recordings all made sense.

I enjoyed the deluxe editions for what they offered in terms of unreleased tracks and mixes but I wish they would've gotten them to sound like the punchy old PYE UK vinyl. Maybe it's an impossible dream?

22. How can anyone really tell from YouTube clips?

23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

They/we can’t really. All I was observing was the sound via the clip and the second sample was worse.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  24. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I await your findings with baited breath

Incidentally, how does one bait ones breath, might I ask?

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  25. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

wow. that first sample sounded amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.