The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘I Am Free’: as @Fortuleo says, “at last!” This is another of those it-sounds-like...and then I can’t quite place it. Something out of the alt-country world (though Dave Davies pre-dates whatever it is that I’m thinking of. Golden Smog? Earlier? Arr! It’s driving me nuts.)

This is my first slam-dunk playlister from the album. (Am still considering Milk Cow Blues. The Committee will have to discuss whether cover songs are eligible or not).

2. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Ah...that's what I'm talking about. Let me read some insight like this that will get to understand and appreciate todays songs more than I expressed in my earlier post.

I didn't know Of Montreal covered this. I'll have to hunt it down.

mark winstanley and Fortuleo like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Welcome aboard.
    On page 92, you will see last Saturday's reference guide, to go through what we have looked at so far.
    We have essentially got Kontroversy happening this week, and then related singles and outtakes and such... I'm guessing that will take us up to Monday or Tuesday next week.... something like that....
    Every Saturday there is a new thread guide to update, and keep the thread navigable.
    Feel free to comment on anything we have already looked at, or if it takes your fancy, just join in from here.
    Today we're looking at
    I am free
    The world keeps going 'round
    :righton:

4. Martyj

Thanks for this bit of history. I was aware of Ray scrapping this as the single because of the Hermits, but did not appreciate the gap it created in their single release schedule.

5. Martyj

Thanks! Did not know about this collection. I'll have to hunt it down.

Safeway 2 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Martyj

Yes. I was 8 years old, and without realizing it at the time it was the first Ray Davies song I ever knew. It was my favorite song at the time--cheesy arrangement and all--and only goes to show how early I developed a preference for all that came from Ray's pen.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  7. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I Am Free
    Pretty good lyric, but I can't get into the sound, and the beat/pace is just a plodding yawner for me. Skip.

The World Keeps Going Round
    Solid lyric, and we've found a groove again. Excellent track! No skip.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

This was an instant attention getter the first time I heard it. It definitely upped the ante for all the British Invasion bands.

9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I Am Free:
    I agree this sound isn't one that stands out on it's own, but its placement on the album, and in the Kinks Khronology, suits it to a tee. The noted Dylan and Folk Rock influence I'd gently missed prior, but it's very clear, and for his second song released it's a strong showing from Dave. Also big points for fitting 'convalesce' into a pop song in 1965.

The World Keeps Going Round:
    What a fantastically written and arranged track. That strum into the build of the intro opens Side 2 perfectly, and the band underscore Ray's devastating lyrics to great effect. He's not subtle here, but I enjoy when he really hammers to nail in as much as when he is able to push the pin with just his thumb. That aforementioned build into the chorus, leading to the drop down, is utterly stupendous in a lyrical/musical harmony. It feels like something huge and grandiose should enter in to turn the tables, but Ray just lets us know that the world does indeed just keep turning regardless, and this utterly mundane fact is underscored by the exact sound of this. It has to be heard to be understood. The ending yell of each chorus for the repeat build is almost like Ray coming up to your face to really drive it home. Glorious.

10. mark winstanley

I look at it as being relaxed about being free.
    Uptempo, to me, would suggest being rushed or anxious, which doesn't suggest freedom in my mind.

11. Martyj

The exuberance of freedom, of course, can be very active...especially in the "release" phase. I loved the selection in Hard Day's Night to use the up tempo "Can't By Me Love" for the scene where the band breaks free of their restraint: the lyrics itself have nothing to do with liberation, but the director and audiences recognize the up tempo music fits the mood of liberation.

But there is also that sense of collapsed exhaustion (e.g. "I can finally relax now) that comes with finally achieving freedom after a long journey--very much in-line with the end of Jim Crow, the American freedom marchers of the era, and the Joan Baez-type music that accompanied it, which I suppose is Dave's justification for the relaxed arrangement here (maybe a weariness from rock stardom?) I suppose that can be authentic for an 18 year old kid in a kick ass rock and roll band, but...I dunno....he's an 18 year old kid in a kick ass rock band. I would expect his authentic sense of freedom to be more like the Beatles scene in Hard Days Night. He's probably not aiming for that type authenticity here. Actually, I think he's doing little more than taking his cues from Dylan and trying nail down a certain type of song. When he does that, my criticism is he's trying to adopt the voice of Bob Dylan rather than Dave Davies. Not that the former is bad, but the latter would be better.

But what do I know? I'm just a knucklehead on the internet. The 2017 live version video posted earlier in this thread is great. I feels right coming from a man trying to build his life back after having a near-paralysis stroke.

12. mark winstanley

I wasn't having a go at you lol

I understand there is certainly a place for exuberance in songs about freedom.
    I probably didn't word it well....
    I merely meant in line with these lyrics, which aren't party til your pants fall off lyrics, it is a thoughtful look at his freedom. To me with these lyrics, uptempo would seem more anxious than free.

Martyj likes this.
  13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I love today's songs and it's great to see the positive comments being made about both.

"I Am Free" - One of my pet peeve's when reading reviews is when people seem to go out of their way to compare a song or artist to another song or artist. I think that takes away from the group, assuming they pinched it, and half the time it's only obvious once it's pointed out to you. In THIS case, I do it myself because of the "Heart of Stone" reference I made earlier. When it's time to sing "Sailing in-between," I'm so tempted to say "there've been so many..." This is a very nice Dave track with that very dreamlike "freeeeeee" floating around. Very relaxing number. "Sail with me my friend / I need someone." Times like these you wish Dave were more prolific.

"The World Keeps Going Round" is a wonderful song. From 1999-2004, I was close to being the biggest Of Montreal fan in the world. Then they went off the rails, went in a completely different direction, and I'm in the can't-give-two category. But their cover of this song was my first time hearing it. The lyrics fit perfectly with what Kevin Barnes used to do. "You worry when the one you need has found somebody new." "Times will be hard, rain will fall / And you'll feel mighty low / But the world keeps going round." Not really want you want to hear, but it's a universal truth. Probably my highlight of the album. Wish it got more attention. If I could change anything about the song, maybe lose the opening chord.. (it sounds out of tune as it is)... and just start with drums fading up. Otherwise, perfection.

Hey, we made it to page 100! And a few hundred songs left to go! :) This is a thread for the ages. An example of the Hoffman forum at it's best. Fans, friendly, respectful, cheers.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  14. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Very true! Here's to it staying that way until the end.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As long as we’re all dedicated followers of....well, enough said!

16. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Yep. Mine too. Early 1980's Spanish Pye. I suspected pretty early that it might be a misprint, doesn't sound like Ray's writing at all. I've always liked it; just a nice feel, and pretty chorus. Defines "deep cut," as there is nothing catchy or simple or hooky about the lyrics, though they have a lovely poetry to them. "Convalesce" always struck me as an unusual "big" word to find in the middle of a song.

:laugh: And yet, I find great comfort in the song, and even that line. I think this song is what makes me run to this album when I'm having a terrible time. And yes, the drums are fantastic, especially in the instrumental break.

pablo fanques, Adam9, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Sounds yummy.... hang on, that's not similar to spanish f.... well this is a family forum, best leave it alone

18. mark winstanley

I reckon being the younger brother, Dave may have been trying to make sure folks knew he could play with words as well as his big brother.
    Interesting to me, even though Dave is reaching lyrically, it works for me

19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I reckon with ‘convalesce’ Dave was trying to outdo George ‘opaque’ Harrison in the ‘unusual words in tertiary songwriter-penned 5th tracks on late ‘65 albums’ stakes.

20. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

I Am Free
    This really shows my age (and lack of Kinks emersion beyond the compilations!), but to me this song captures the mythical spirit of the 60s sold so vociferously to those of us who were yet to be born through so much of popular culture. That is, hippies floating around in a field with flowers in their hair, listening to sitar music and wearing anti-CND t- shirts (most likely smoking something)!
    Anyway, I like it a lot, particularly its free feeling structure and the rather floaty music (it does feel a bit like Dylan, as @mark winstanley said above). Very nice, and I'm learning that Dave was also a decent writer! :D

21. Or it could just be they were ripping off the same records from elsewhere!

22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"I Am Free"

Not bad for the 18 year old guitar wizard. This might not be a song I gravitate towards, but it's a lovely song that I really enjoyed this morning. I'm picking up lots of Help! vibes on this album that I never thought about before. @Martyj pointed out the very George like guitar sound and solo. I completely agree, the entire song sounds like an early George composition. Nothing wrong with that!
    I'd say I am also more of a Kinks person, but The Stones easily win this tournament. I love that song!

"The World Keeps Going Round"

Here we have a guitar intro reminiscent of "A Hard Days Night". This is one of the highlights on the album, and most likely my favorite. Someone mentioned this would be at home on any of the next three albums. I agree that this is a taste of what is yet to come. Ray is settling into a style that will be a big part of the remaining 60s albums. It will not be the first song worrying about "The big old sun". We will soon have "Lazy Old Sun", "Big Sky", "Sunny Afternoon", and "A Rainy Day In June" among other sky and weather related tunes. This is an early classic Kinks song where an important side to Ray's songwriting is revealed. A brilliant song!

23. I Am Free has a 3/4 rhythm (someone may correct me and say 6/8 but it's the same thing), a prominent acoustic guitar and a pleasingly ragged vocal.
    At best I think Dave may have been channeling Dylan's confessional songwriting style here, maybe, I wasn't there so don't know, but I can hear a cruder version of the sort of song Bob presented on Another Side Of Bob Dylan. A better comparison might be The Beatles' You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - another example of an English guy doing a Zimmerman. Thanks to the forum for making me pay more attention to it, it's ok. Very simple in terms of structure, and as posted elsewhere, perhaps Dave was reaching a bit too far with his lyrics here.

24. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

I am Free - First listened to this about a week ago as I started going through this album. The chords for this song seem like they were picked up by the Stones and dropped into the chorus of "She Smiled Sweetly" off Between the Buttons (recorded late 1966). Check the latter half of the chorus:

Certainly a good progression of writing talent from Dave. It's a nice listen, but not one of the best on the album.

The World Keeps Going ‘Round - I really like this song. The chorus is appropriately repetitive. Don't have much else to add to what others have said.

25. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

It took some work to figure out what song was being referenced.