The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

:laughup: I hadn't thought of this but you have a point. Thankfully, Ray normalises his vocals on Word of Mouth.

2. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

A small post for man, a great post for threadity.

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Happy page 1000 all!

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

A great short post for @The late man!
    Bravo, and some. This is the song I hear, too. The "twist" doesn't change anything in my view. You're still inside the head of someone dealing with demons and confusion, whatever the reasons and the reasoning. @Brian x's post was also superb. I don't share his interpretation of the song but I do share a lot about what he says of real life experience, judgements, being forced to deal with things that can transform the most innocent things into awkwardness or worst.

Dave's songs. Tapas sounds like a TV series soundtrack from exactly 1983. The ones that chose not to use lounge disco jazz anymore, that is. Atrocious da-dum-dum-dum drum fills that were all over… everything at that time. I hated this sound then, and still do now. Charity has great layered guitars, it's dense, yes, but not "busy" like the bar code record. I like Dave’s voice here, sharper and more controlled than what went on previously, like the lyrics. He’s becoming less vague, less impressionistic. Same thing with Mean Disposition, though the big drum and handclaps are more eighties sounds that I could live without. Some bits of melodies are good. Funny how with Dave songs it's often "bits of melodies" that are good rather than the melody…

… and I've enjoyed every one of them pages. I must say we've destroyed Bob Seger, didn't we, @mark winstanley ? :cool: We got valuable info, brilliant analysis, bits of poetry, kids opinions, opinionated opinions, literary and philosophical escapes, personal memories, almost no post saying that the Kinks are underrated or better than the B*****s, very few about Jimmy Page, the best short story ever about not being able to listen to a great elusive (lost) record for months while on the other side of the world, superb Françoise Hardy pictures, epic posts about favorite songs, serious care about the band, about the thread itself and about each other… Yes, I've enjoyed it all, even the cricket posts. Keep them coming!

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Yay! Happy 1,000th :cheers:. Here are a few thoughts to mark the occasion:
    Biggest regret: not being here for the start. I didn't start paying attention to the SHF until this thread was well into Something Else. Bummer!
    Biggest thrill: getting to exchange deep and meaningful views with you on my two favourite Kinks albums - VGPS and Muswell Hillbillies. VGPS would be one of my top five albums of all time, so I admit to feeling a little crestfallen to have @mark winstanley declare it "easily a top-five Kinks album." (around pages 295-297)
    Most thought-provoking post: @Wondergirl asking along the lines "there aren't any women here are there?" It reminded me of the only other time I'd heard that question....which leads to Favourite non-Kinks element: Posting interesting or amusing video clips

6. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Happy Sunday and 1000 to you all. My first take after hearing some of this latest in the line of Dave records. I had no idea he had such a prolific run during this period. This record brings to mind some Richard Lloyd albums I have.

7. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

This is a question I still have. When I originally asked this question, there was one, maybe two ladies on here. Now I appear to be on my own. Which is fine, but wonder why that is. But I'm Wondergirl...so that's what I do. LOL

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ah so you are moving with the times, nevermind as acting on a tip off we have you under surveillance and have seized a hardrive with 1000 pages of Kink!

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

There goes my morning smoothie!

10. It's a thousand pages give or take a few!

11. All Down The Line

If it was late in 1981 you probably heard Waiting On A Friend!

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Well we're very pleased to be graced by your presence

13. mark winstanley

Ha! it's 2022 we're all under surveillance lol

KM Dave 65-78, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  14. All Down The Line

It's not just some little jerk in the FBI keeping pages 6 feet high!

15. mark winstanley

In the spirit of the thread, happy 1000 pages lady/ies(?) and gentlemen. It's been a thrill and a pleasure going through this catalog with everyone.

The highlight for me is that folks have been willing to share info, give albums they weren't so fond of initially a try, find new perspective on these albums and deepen their love and appreciation of the band.... That's what this is all about for me.

Personal highlight, was breaking through and finding what it was about the sixties material that had so many people focussed on it, and Arthur becoming probably my favourite Kinks album, though there is probably only a wisp of air between the top 5 or 6 albums for me.

The thing that brought me the most pleasure, is that this is a rare thread where people weren't attacked for differing opinions and we have been able to discuss things freely without any belittling or persecution that I have noticed..... and you have no idea how much that means to me.

So thank you all for making this such an informative and fun thread.... and quite an emotional one for me

16. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Happy 1000!!

I specifically joined this forum for this thread. I had been reading a thread about The Beach Boys Feel Flows set, but I never had an account here. Then I saw this thread which was on page 40 or so, so we were still in 1964 territory. I signed up, caught up on all those pages (lol 40 is nothing!) and started a daily ritual that has sorta changed my life. I look forward to our discussions each day, reading everyone’s history with these albums and experiences. I enjoy reading which songs are your favorites — especially ones that I didn’t even know existed until we covered them. What a mind opening experience. There is so much we don’t know. All these years, I could have been laughing about Shepards Pie and motorway food, learning about cricket (it’s British!) and rhyming cockney slang. I know we have many albums and solo projects to go, but I already am starting to feel some of that future nostalgia that I will feel after we close out this thread down the line. What will I do every day? There is nowhere else I can talk to about my love of the Kinks without someone thinking “here he goes trying to tell me how great the Kinks are again…”

Thank you all for your camaraderie, wisdom, knowledge, stories, jokes, opinions, facts, and perspective. I can only hope that I am entertaining you half as much as you are all entertaining me.

17. mark winstanley

These threads should have been similar, but unfortunately with the Bob thread there are harsh divides in the fan base...

Whereas with the Kinks people have favourite eras, it seems in the Bob catalog there are impenetrable divides, and that made it difficult.

18. mark winstanley

As a special Sunday (1000 page edition lol) sideline track.

This was the b-side of Love Gets You.

One Night With You.

As a huge Elvis fan, I may not be the best one to look at this.

Dave does this one as a grinding blues/rock type track, and he actually does a pretty good version of it.
    Dave takes it up into his highest high register, but manages to keep it together.

I like this, and I probably more like that he chose this, than necessarily his rendition... but like I say, I am a huge and unashamed Elvis fan, so it's terribly difficult for me to balance that against Dave's version of this classic fifties track.

19. mark winstanley

20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Happy 1,000! This thread is what officially turned me into a forum junky. Not a day goes by where I am not listening to The Kinks or some other music that this forum instigated. It’s been a wonderful thing during these strange Covid times. There is a friendly connection here that was pretty much absent in the outside world for a couple of years. Thanks to all of you who make this thread a joy to read every day.
    I will agree that it’s great they he chose this song. One of the major highlights of Elvis on his ‘68 comeback special is when he performs a phenomenal version of this song. Elvis is in peak form on that one! I had to unplug Dave’s microphone half way in.

21. mark winstanley

Courtesy of @DISKOJOE we have a magazine article/interview released just after the State Of Confusion album release 10th June 1983...

I believe all things being equal we will start State Of Confusion on Thursday, so in light of that I thought it may pay to post this now in case it gives anyone some insights into the album, and Ray's mindset at the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. mark winstanley

23. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I knew this version first:

24. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Happy 1000 pages, everybody! I also got a trophy for being on this Forum for a year, although I believe that my first appearance here was on June 4th.

It's too bad that Avid Wondergirl seems to be the only woman Avid here, although I think the other one has commented here recently.

Despite this, it has been a very good thread. My favorite story has to be Avid MartyJ's account of obtaining TGLKA and waiting all those months in the Navy to actually play it. He was also excellent in discussing the graphic nuts and bolts behind the One From the Road cover.

It has been great dealing w/my fellow Avids in this thread. I hope that I at least try to make almost sense in my entries and when I have been wrong, which I have been from time to time, I always try to admit it.

Finally, this thread would not have be what it is without the guidance of Our Headmaster Mark. I appreciate his open mind towards all eras of the Kinks, which is more refreshing than the "Kinks stink after 1971" consensus that I usually see.

25. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Happy 1000! I don't want to miss the opportunity to post on this historic page and to thank Mark and everyone here for sharing their insight, humor, passion and often their personal history and life events. I greatly appreciate the civil and respectful tone in this friendly gathering place...a special place indeed. My only regret is not paying closer attention in the early days of this thread, but it's my familiarity with and feelings about the post-Face to Face material that have most benefited from this thread, so all is good.

Cheers, all!

Last edited: May 22, 2022