The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I'm like @ARL. I happen to own the Return to Waterloo record, I like to listen to it, and these overlapping tracks really annoy me. It gives this LP a kind of Odds & Sods flavor. Except Odds & Sods only had otherwise unavailable material (save from Pure & Easy, but in a completely different version).

Anyway, now that the nerd in me's said his piece, I agree with @stewedandkeefed about the song. If I don't pay attention, I hear an 80's bland & flat sound that I've never cared for. But behind that sheen (especially the drums), I do enjoy the power pop crunchy style of the Daveless Kinks, akin to some Chris Wilson era Flamin’ Groovies tunes. We’d think Dave was the garage guy but at this stage, Ray’s rudimentary rhythm playing was almost a better fit for that style than the “metalisms” often implied by Dave’s uncanny virtuosity. And Ray's found the best singing voice for that at last, not straining in the shouty department but free-flowing with ease and wit to move the chorus along ("to get a better deal for yourself"). Well, "chorus", you know what I mean : it's another one of his hook tunes, and all the better for it.

2. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Sold me out

I didn't pay much attention to this one until I saw the Return to Waterloo movie, in which the song accompanies the great Tim Roth punk impersonation. Now it makes sense to me. Contrary to Avid Fortuleo, I do miss Dave here. Most of Return to Waterloo sounds like unfinished recordings for me, waiting to receive the gift of Dave's great musicality.

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Living on a Thin Line" is a good song with a nice "natural" vocal from Dave and a lyric that at least makes some sense.

"Sold Me Out". It seems awfully late in the day to be still doing this kind of punky finger pointing stuff - I mean Weller had moved on to the Style Council by this time. Talking of Weller, I wonder if the echoed "you" which keeps recurring (too often) throughout the song was inspired by the "Oy!" in "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight". I think this is actually one of the better attempts at this style of music from Ray, though it had taken him long enough to get to this level of acceptability. Nothing the Kinks produced in this vein in the late 70s and early 80s is remotely as good or convincing as the best genuine punk/new wave, whatever you want to call it, in the same period.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

5. mark winstanley

Sorry about all that, just trying to clean those links up

6. mark winstanley

Kinks Kompilations 1984.

A Compleat Collection - 20th Anniversary edition.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A Well Respected Man 2:42
    I Need You 2:23
    Sunny Afternoon 3:32
    Got My Feet On The Ground 2:12
    Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy 2:14
    The World Keeps Going Round 2:33
    Don't Ever Change 2:21
    Wonder Where My Baby Is 1:58
    It's All Right 2:34
    You Shouldn't Be Sad 1:58
    Dancin' In The Street 2:16
    C-A-D-I-L-L-A-C 2:43
    Beautiful Delilah 2:04
    Too Much Monkey Business 2:14
    Got Love If You Want It 3:44
    Louie Louie 2:54
    I'm A Lover Not A Fighter 2:02
    Naggin' Woman 2:33
    I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain 2:00
    Bald Headed Woman 2:40

A Compleat Collection.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Stop Your Sobbing 2:04
    Revenge 1:27
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else 3:24
    Where Have All The Good Times Gone? 2:48
    You Really Got Me 2:11
    I Took My Baby Home 1:46
    Long Tall Sally 2:10
    You Still Want Me 1:56
    You Do Something To Me 2:22
    Sittin' On My Sofa 3:02
    Till The End Of The Day 2:18
    Come On Now 1:46
    Who'll Be The Next In Line 2:00
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion 2:59
    Something Better Beginning 2:22
    Tired Of Waiting For You 2:29
    See My Friends 2:42
    Set Me Free 2:10
    Gotta Move 2:22
    All Day & All Of The Night 2:20

7. mark winstanley

The Hits.

[​IMG]

You Really Got Me 2:13
    Tired Of Waiting For You 2:31
    Set Me Free 2:10
    Till The End Of The Day 2:18
    Sunny Afternoon 3:28
    Days 2:54
    Autumn Almanac 3:10
    Lola 3:56
    A Well Respected Man 2:11
    Dead End Street 3:18
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion 2:53
    Dandy 2:09
    Mr. Pleasant 2:51
    Waterloo Sunset 3:12
    Death Of A Clown 3:11
    Wonder Boy 2:49

20th Anniversary Box Set.

[​IMG]

Kinks Greatest Hits
    You Really Got Me
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Tired Of Waiting For You
    Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
    Set Me Free
    See My Friends
    Till The End Of The Day
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Sunny Afternoon
    Dead End Street
    Waterloo Sunset
    Autumn Almanac
    Wonder Boy
    Days
    Plastic Man
    Victoria
    Lola
    Apeman
    Kinks Kollectables
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    This Is Where I Belong
    Rats
    Act Nice And Gentle
    You Still Want Me
    You Do Something To Me
    I Took My Baby Home
    Creepin' Jean
    Hold My Hand
    Lincoln County
    Suzannah's Still Alive
    Pretty Polly
    Sittin' On My Sofa
    Mindless Child Of Motherhood
    Kinks Kovers
    Cadillac
    Dancing In The Street
    Louie Louie
    Long Tall Sally
    Naggin' Woman
    Too Much Monkey Business
    Milk Cow Blues
    Beautiful Delilah
    Bald Headed Woman
    I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain
    I'm A Lover Not A Fighter
    Long Tall Shorty
    Got Love If You Want It

Kovers.

[​IMG]

Cadillac
    Dancing In The Street
    Louie Louie
    Long Tall Sally
    Naggin' Woman
    Too Much Monkey Business
    Milk Cow Blues
    Beautiful Delilah
    Bald Headed Woman
    I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain
    I'm A Lover Not A Fighter
    Long Tall Shorty
    Got Love If You Want It

Kollectibles.

[​IMG]

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    This Is Where I Belong
    Rats
    Act Nice And Gentle
    You Still Want Me
    You Do Something To Me
    I Took My Baby Home
    Creepin' Jean
    Hold My Hand
    Lincoln County
    Suzannah's Still Alive
    Pretty Polly
    Sittin' On My Sofa
    Mindless Child Of Motherhood

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks Mark i think a little goes a long way.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sold Me Out

I don't mind it on this LP even though my mind is a bit scrambled from watching it on Ray's Waterloo film a few days ago.
    Sounds punk/new wave so a few years too old and i never came to fully appreciate the Jam.
    So a not bad try hard that is just not my bag however i do appreciate the lyrical angle Ray is pushing.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The ‘Hits’ kollection in this set is highly prized on this forum where it’s known as ‘Ugly Pink’ (due to the cover). Apparently it’s the best sounding pressing of these songs in terms of audio quality.

That’s as may be, but the rest of this 3 disc collection is pretty poorly thought out. No one is into The Kinks because of their early cover tunes to that’s a poor use of a 3rd of the set, plus while kinda useful to UK fans of the time the ‘Kollectables’ disc is still far from comprehensive, and why the hell is ‘Rats’ on there? It’s on a regular album!!!! And that nothingy sleeve art that looks more like labels for 3 flavours of fruit health drink. Despite running to 3 discs, this comes across as a collection without much actual meat to it.

11. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I've been pleasantly surprised by the first few songs on "Word of Mouth". I've liked Do It Again for ages and Living On A Thin Line sounds better in this context than it does on the Come Dancing comp. I actually had a Faces/Rod Stewart take when hearing the riff on Word Of Mouth. Good Day sounds like a Jimmy Buffet tune right down to that harmonica.

And, here is my contribution on the platypus discussion. My kids loved Phineas and Ferb and I instantly thought of Perry.

[​IMG]

12. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Sold Me Out

A generic pub-rock banger redeemed by Ray’s punky lyric. The cunning opening verse finds Ray a victim of white-collar crime, not the usual blue. Such was the way the world was turning; maybe it has always been thus (pocket abacus?). One thing is for sure, the world keeps going ‘round. The song was relevant coming out of the early eighties recession, again during the Occupy movement, and still today. Though every day before, between, and after is a battle of the 1% vs. the 99%. Musically, I know it’s meant as a straight-ahead rocker, but a little more embellishment, some garnish or other, would have made this one more palatable.
    Whenever I watch Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, which is maybe once a year, I think of his two characters, Mr. Orange and Ringo, as being the Return to Waterloo punk as a grown man. I realize he’s actually an undercover agent in the former, but whether he’s playing a con or playing someone playing a con, he is excellent. My verdict now stands unchanged from 1984, Side One gets five stars. Three all-timers and two sturdy rockers.
    Which reminds me, in 1985 I once submitted a request to WNEW to play this on their ‘Perfect Album Sides’ show. I don’t believe they ever did
    but they did once bestow that honor on Side One of Misfits.

13. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

"Sold Me Out": The Kinks doing the Rama Lama punky thing. All you Avids are saying the Jam; I hear a bit more Damned myself. I can hear Dave Vanian wrap his vocals around this. It's another favorite of mine from this album, as well as in Return to Waterloo, where it soundtracks one of its most absurd scenes. We will be discussing it after Word of Mouth? I have it on DVD and rewatched it myself a few days ago for preparation.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Sold Me Out’: 5 for 5 in my estimation, so far this is a thoroughly enjoyable album. I even contemplated putting this onto my playlist as I’ve been so thrilled with the album’s flow. Maybe it won’t quite make it but it comes oh, so, close.

15. mark winstanley

I think the song segments from the movie are on youtube, so, yes, we will be going through those

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Sold Me Out
    I could complain that this song, released in 1985, sounds like it should have been released in 1978. But that would be rather pointless given that I am listening to it in 2022. I note Amyl and The Sniffers are releasing the same sort of music today and no-one with any sense is saying they’re 45 years too late.
    As for the song I didn’t think that much of it until I saw the movie, where the scene with this song was a highlight. Plenty of Attitude.

17. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Sold Me Out

One of the things I like about this track are the crunchy guitars. There's two that run the whole track mixed left and right with a third that comes in the center for the short solo section. Keying in on these guitars you'll hear one playing a chord in one channel while the other is scratching the strings or squeaking the strings by moving the hand position, etc. Then it will alternate to the other guitar doing something similar back and forth so they are never playing exactly the same part. Yes, this is not new, or unique, it's been done before and after, etc. so and so already did this whenever, blah, blah, blah. It just sounds very cool here.

If you read the liner notes of the Velvel/Koch reissues, you're led to believe Dave dubbed some guitar on this Word Of Mouth version. But in reality there is no extra guitar on this version that is not on the Return To Waterloo version. I'm convinced Dave is not on these three shared tracks as none of them have his signature single string leads and bends that he always does. The guitar "solo" here is chords which leads me to all guitars by Ray. Those liner notes have multiple mistakes and misleading information and the lyrics transcription included with that CD release are an abomination and a complete joke for a worldwide compact disc release. There was much discussion about this in that Kinks email group back in the day. They literally copied and pasted them from some amateur website at that time, as we sleuths found that site they came from. Unacceptable.

The version of this track on the Return To Waterloo original LP is a slightly different version and mix. I'll hold off on posting this version if we are going to cover this song separately on the soundtrack itself as the differences occur there and not on this Word Of Mouth version. It’s not on YouTube. Is that the plan@mark winstanley ?

18. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Sold Me Out

After Living On a A Thin Line, this song seems a rather blunt instrument. It also seems a bit of a role reversal the Dave gives us such a beautifully nuanced song and the Ray comes back with this simple in your face punk rocker.

Objectively, by the numbers, I really shouldn't like this song, but I do. I'm always happy to bang my head right along with that simple, straightforward beat. I think a lot, though, has to do with th catchier than usual main melody.

This morning I heard a connection for the first time, struggled to figure out what it was, made the connection, and then wondered why I'd never realized it before.
    As I listened to the line
    Got no dreams, got no ambition,
    I though.... they've done this before. But where?
    I scanned my memory banks repeatedly hoping to find it's predecessor.... c'mon, I know it's there.
    C'mon.... c'mon.....
    Yes!
    This lyric from 20th Century Man:
    Ain't got no ambition, I'm just disillusioned
    Which is also delivered in a similar vocal style with a similar melody.

Recycle Ray!

Oh, and I categorically reject the notion that this sort of pseudo-punk or punk-lite isn't as good as "real" punk. Many a music historian has posited that punk wouldn't even exist without The Kinks starting all the way back in 1964. That in mind, anything they've done along those lined, they've earned and I'm happy to listen.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Different contexts entirely.

20. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Brian X, wishing your young one a speedy recovery. Mine is 32 and every time she was sick I think I suffered worse than she did.

Avids X, Mazz and the rest, as music aficionados, I bet we all did that with our kids (assuming we have them). My daughter grew up from the age of 2 or 3 on listening to mixed tapes that I made her to train her listening habits in advance. Queen (Another One Bites.. Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, We will Rock You, We are the Champions, Killer Queen), Bob Marley, Dwight Yoakum, Michael and Prince (the one major handclap in Little Red Corvette was fave moment), Zep, Stones, G'n'R (genre didn't matter, it just need a catchy chorus). Our car rides were fun for both of us. She still has great taste in music and ended up moving to Nashville a year ago, not necessarily for the music scene but she loves it there and that's one of the reasons.

21. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Sold Me Out:

I love this one. If Do It Again wasn't such a great first single, then this would have gotten my vote as the album's calling card. The fast strumming for some reason Madde me think of the Clash. It also made me think even more of the Alarm, who someone else mentioned a day or two ago regarding another track. Ray has often soaked up the vides of the newer bands on the scene and The Alarm was just getting some traction with the songs The Stand, Marching On and a few others at that time (all of which were mostly acoustic, fast strumming tunes).

This gets it right where State of Confusion (the song) got it wrong. Both songs are fast and pinkish in attitude, but where Solid Me Out is warm and enveloping in sound and spirit, State of Confusion was harsh and grating. I like the "YOU, (you) (you) Sold Me Out" echo effect in the chorus. Everyone sounds energized. Dave's solo is brief but quite hood. ...and Ray and Dave are focused on the guitars here. I love me some fast, strummy Kinks! Sold Me Out just might be my favorite song on the album.

22. mark winstanley

I haven't had a chance to look closely, but doing the intro for Return To Waterloo this morning it looked like the audio and video tracks are available.... not sure if it is all of them or not at this stage.
    Though the movie itself doesn't appear to be on there.

The plan for Return to Waterloo is a normal intro day, with a 25 minute MTV doco.
    Then do each song as per normal.
    As the videos and album tracks have some differences, due to the actors singing, I'll be posting both the video and audio versions on the day of the song, where available

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    CheshireCat, ajsmith, The MEZ and 8 others like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Excellent band that didn't deserve the U2 copycats label they were given

24. mark winstanley

Ok, thanks to @Fortuleo ... somehow it didn't come up for me this morning....
    For anyone who hasn't seen the Return To Waterloo movie, I am going to post that now.

Next week nicely finishes Word Of Mouth on Saturday, but as this movie is an hour long, I'm going to post it now, due to everybody being so busy, and that way if a spare hour comes along, you can check it out, or just have a pre-rundown listen/watch.

25. mark winstanley

These threads are a team sport ideally....
    and this is a great team!