The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Well, I always thought that all Test Matches were “non-action” :laugh:

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Grrr Heathen :)

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Not anymore, if the current England team are anything to go by.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Expectations"

Yet another hidden gem by maestro Ray Davies. It starts with a little Muswell Hillbillies style flashback, then we get some 60s style organ and phrasing that recalls Dylan. "Now all the lies have gone on too long". @Fortuleo mentioned the Celtic tones of the music which can also bring Donovan to mind. "But now my illusion's shaken."

This is a wonderful song that feels like it combines a few decades of different styles of music. The ending puts us in the 80s with the booming drum sound, which I absolutely love. A well constructed tune that may have been inspired by brother Dave's masterpiece "Living On a Thin Line".

I had never heard many of these songs until last week, but I can easily say this is now my favorite Ray solo album. It has greatly exceeded my low expectations.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Expectations’: well, well, well…this is a real surprise. No sticky wicket here (! gotta put that in, not that I know what I’m saying). A pastoral song of the glory and fading of empire, and the climbing of the ladder of success, this is a great discovery for me. Especially coming immediately after the most disturbing slasher/horror scene in the film (no, I wouldn’t want to be Ray’s therapist).

I immediately made an executive decision to permit this non-Kinks song entry onto The Playlist but, alas, it isn’t to be found on Apple Music. (Instead, I don’t even want to say what I found under ‘Kink’ ‘Expectations.’ Put it this way, I immediately scrubbed my search history! :D )

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Wonderkid #2 went to Oxford, as it so happens, for a 6 week program through the University of Mass Amherst (my alma mater). She's taking 2 history courses (which is her major)and taking in the culture. She's pretty homesick though which makes me sad. Hoping she'll be over that in the near future.

I've spent a little time in Oxford and it's lovely. The husband and I will be visiting in a little over a week. woohoo.

7. Wondergirl

I'm no longer a city girl, but I look forward to returning to Chicago and seeing more. The people are really sweet...and coming from the Boston area...I'm not used to that! LMAO

I'm sure you will enjoy being back.

8. DISKOJOE

That's pretty cool. My niece went to St. Hugh's College there. She was actually a Resident Assistant at one of the undergraduate dorms. The students were intimated by her because 1. She's tall and 2. She was a Yank. The word was that she was actually working for the CIA :laugh:

9. Wondergirl

I heard she had a security clearance and don't you dare mess with her. :laugh::winkgrin:

10. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Lonely Hearts
    A lovely unassuming little song. Another Ray classic. I'm glad we get something as good as this hidden away on a little known record. Makes it worthwhile hunting it down for us true believers! Claire Rayner, probably Britain's most famous agony aunt. Quite a coup to get her in the clip.
    The Good Times Are Gone
    A shame it's not on the LP, it would have been a good song with a Ray vocal as it provides one half of a longer two-parter with...
    Not Far Away
    The other side of the coin in the story between youth and experience... Another really good song. It's a good LP isn't it!

I don't expect we'll ever see a new CD re-issue, but if it did happen, I'd like to see a bonus CD of the actual film soundtrack, with the actors singing and all. Would be a proper concept album. (or a three sided LP and an 'etched' fourth side...)

11. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Expectations
    Another gem of a song, and one of our Raymond's favourite themes looking back to how an (imagined or real) past is better than the present (and most probably the future). Could have been an 'Arthur' track. Anyway, end of Empire, no bad thing really.

Expectations of the album - none really, as I've known it for years and really enjoyed it. It's weakened somewhat by only being nine songs, with three already out on 'Word Of Mouth' previously. I miss the missing songs on the soundtrack LP (see above) and it could have been better with those incorporated somehow. If I knew how to rip the film soundtrack and separate the songs for a CD, I'd be happy. Anyway, there's no weak songs on this LP. A very strong end to the 'Arista' era.

12. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

The Good Times Are Gone, but perhaps they are Not Far Away

I pick up a lot of Preservation Act 2 notes here. The Good Times Are Gone recalls Shepherds of the Nation, and of course is the answer to where have all the good times gone? Won’t you tell me they are just gone. Whereas Not Far Away reminds me, lyrically, of When a Solution Comes mixed with an early 80s Kinks style rocker. The khorus hook on this song is great and pretty memorable. Haven’t been able to listen as much as I’d like this week, but it’s already pretty getting to my brain.

Expectations
    Wow, this song is really a lost classic! A throwback to the more acoustic guitar led early 70s songs, and a great melody. I really like how the title makes its way into the khoruses in perhaps an unexpected way. It does seem like a followup to the stories running from Arthur through Muswell Hillbilly (singular, so the song), Here Come the People in Grey, and Lavender Lane.

I wonder what Dave would have added to this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I picked in and was given a UK version from an older neighbour in the late 70's.
    It was definitely 8 ball overs which I believe soon changed on the game and yes I loved it too.
    N.b. For even less action I had a popomatic cricket game that you held in one hand.
    Think Trouble & Headache with dice in a dome.

14. All Down The Line

You clearly have never had a bouncer strike your head.

15. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I’m continually surprised by the wealth of good music on this project, a project I was completely in the dark on till we got to this discussion. I must admit I haven’t watched the film yet. It is on my watch list for up in the fall or winter when I’m in movie mode. “Not Far Away” is a nice little rocker and I was really taken aback by the music on “Expectations”, sounds like a Steve Earle track to me. Pretty cool!

Would “Word of Mouth” been a better record by morphing it with the best of “Return To Waterloo”? Or, should have “Think Visual” have benefited from the Return material? Fun to conjecture.

16. mark winstanley

Oh Sh!t.... I have.... in the days before helmets, right in the temple, dropped me like a sack of crap off the side of Everest ..

The other type of bouncer just threw me down a flight of stairs lol

17. mark winstanley

Hmmm, well I have thoughts about that, but like Oliver said "Tomorrow, Tomorrow..."

18. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Expectations, Lonely Hearts, Not Far Away

I like all of these, lots. & though I miss Dave's guitar I see no drop off in quality, sincerity, or creative energy here. It's amazing how RD kept going through the first half of the 80s. These are all songs I'll listen to again with pleasure.

Haven't had a moment to watch the film so can't form an opinion on The Good Times are Gone but still hoping to grab a minute to watch RtW before everyone here is done w/ it. Busy times which is both a good & a bad thing.

19. Wondergirl

Return to Waterloo (film)
    I finally had time to commit to watching it. It seems vaguely familiar to me. Was it played on MTV, I wonder? I feel like I saw bits and pieces of it at some point in my life.

But anyway, I went in with lowered expectations and it definitely beat them! I think it's often visually compelling. The music works really well (though, as I think others have exclaimed, why did the Kinks put the songs on Word Of Mouth when Ray was probably planning on using them for the soundtrack...odd choice).

I can't tell you exactly what it's about. It's images..some real, some fantasy... some ambiguous. It's a jumble of stuff, but it works. A lot of themes from Ray's past writing projects...the Village Green, Soap Opera, Lola album. So I can positively feel Ray on film. He did well.

20. DISKOJOE

Avid Wondergirl, did you go to Wrigley in your Chicago trip? If you did, how is it compared to Fenway?

21. Wondergirl

Dave's "Violet Dreams"
    Hey, not bad at all. in fact pretty engaging! has a very mellow 70s groove to my ears. Maybe a little Santana sound in there too. Glad I got to hear this one!

22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Neither compares to old Comiskey! :)

Wrigley was also designed by the same architect of Comiskey. I don't follow baseball anymore, but Wrigley and Fenway would be my top two places to see a baseball game.

23. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I’ll have to watch Hope and Glory. I’ve always liked John Boorman. I always loved his films Excalibur and Deliverence. Even Zardoz in all its weirdness, though that one doesn’t hold up as well for me.

24. All Down The Line

So could this soon to be released Ray song be the reason Living On A Thin Line wasn't a single?

25. All Down The Line

I trust you scrubbed everything clean.