The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Working at the Factory is an acceptable start to the album, and it's got a pleasant sound and performance, but it's title and lyric portends how Ray seems to approach this album and perhaps the band in general at this point in time. Our Headmaster I believe compared it to the song The Road, but I find that one to be a far more inviting track. Having track three entitled Repetition may have been enough right then and there for some perusing the album cover in a record shop to put it back down. Of course I bought it, but by memory Think Visual is my least favored Kinks album. I'm listening a song at a time now to give it a shot.

2. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Working at the Factory

Solid if unspectacular.

There are various wiggle phrases for semi-fictional, semi-biographical movies & shows -- I'd call this song "inspired by a true story."

It's a pretty classic little vignette -- factory guy would do anything to get out, becomes a rock star, would do anything to get out. Human condition stuff, can't get no satisfaction.

R throws in his moneygoround theme, (they sold us a dream/I thought they were my friends), and some allusions to the fact that when music becomes an industry, musicians become industrial workers.

But there's a new aspect of this familiar lament -- "there's so many like me sitting on the shelf."

I picture Ray in a mega-store staring at row after row, pile after pile of albums, and thinking, god, for all I did, for all I tried, I actually am like everyone else. Just another piece of product on the shelf. It's actually kind of a sad song.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Someone did... not me...
    I just started listening to it this week, good track, still digesting it

4. mark winstanley

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Working At The Factory
    This starts out good musically, but then becomes pretty generic. Not a particularly strong vocal. Lyrics sound like someone trying to write a Springsteen song. Average at best.

6. Working At A Factory starts off with promise but peters out when it becomes more assembly line product.

7. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Oops! Yes, The Road is a very good track.

8. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Haha! I know...I'm allllmost there.
    I'm going to be heading out on another trip on thursday, so I feel like I may fall behind again. :(

But I AM heading to England...and London. And I do plan on going to Clissold Arms and the old family homestead...and maybe Konk. I may even lasso me a Davies boy! (kidding!! really. I'm too shy to do that). I'll be looking for some Kinks albums and memorabilia too. We'll see.

Think Visual
    I gotta sit down and listen to Think Visual. Argh! I know 3 songs from it. One I know I don't love and it's is famously made fun of...and with good reason. But I will try to bring a more open mind to it.

Anyway, I don't know what to expect.

And the cover...I guess the font is pretty ok. I just don't like that person posing. I am no art expert, but it does nothing for me. Bless the Kinks for keeping the lousy cover art average very high. "predictable..."

markelis, DISKOJOE, Fischman and 13 others like this.
  9. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Believe it or not but this phenomena also occurs with drum sets.

Unknown schmuck before gig away from kit hears: “Get lost!”

Same schmuck after gig (now “known”): “I didn’t know you played drums!”
    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “You don’t look like a drummer.”

Truly bizarro stuff.

10. mark winstanley

Well at the very least I hope you can post some pictures for us.... I was going to say Kinky pictures, but thought better of it :)

Anyway, say g'day to the guys if you see them, and let them know we all love them, and all that kinda gear...

Hopefully you can keep with us, but we aren't going anywhere in a big hurry

11. mark winstanley

Yep, you could be up there with wooden blocks and it will draw them...

It's some kind of strange stage thing. . I bet stage actors and comics have a similar scenario.

12. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

I'm tired, so I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your post, Avid @fspringer, since you pretty much expressed my thoughts. This is probably my favorite track on the album. 5/5

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You clearly must look like a cultured and intelligent gentleman.

14. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Have fun! You should also try to go to The Flask. Maybe you will see Ray! It's a lovely pub, even if he isn't there. I also highly recommend The Spaniards Inn, which is a great historic pub that is fairly close to Clissold Arms and The Flask.

Now I am curious which is the song that is famously made fun of!

Wondergirl, Steve62, DISKOJOE and 2 others like this.
  15. All Down The Line

He may have been experiencing strain from writers cramp in signing your 17 albums?

DISKOJOE, Zeki, The late man and 2 others like this.
  16. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Working At The Factory
    A solid, but unspectacular opening. The resonator guitar opening lifts the song to a higher level, and it drops a little to more standard fare after that. I'm quite happy with Ray pretty much complaining about the monotony of life as a rock star - I think he's covered it before occasionally :goodie: - and the metaphor of comparing it to living a life working in a factory moves it one space away from from complaining about life on the road, or in the studio, or being ground down by the 'business'. Ray gives us a nice vocal, and it's a good tune to sing along with.

17. All Down The Line

Could it be one with a chorus that sounds a little like a combination of Foreigner, Kiss & Starship?

18. mark winstanley

"Lost and Found"

[​IMG]
    Single by The Kinks
    from the album Think Visual
    B-side
    "Killing Time"
    Released 3 April 1987
    Recorded January 1986 and June–August 1986 at Konk Studios, London
    Genre Rock
    Length 5:19
    Label MCA
    Songwriter(s) Ray Davies
    Producer(s) Ray Davies

stereo mix, album edit (5:19), recorded Jun-Jul 1986 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Waiting for the hurricane
    To hit New York City
    Somebody said it's hit the bay
    This is the nitty gritty

And all the bag ladies
    Better put their acts together
    We're near the eye of the storm
    This is really heavy weather

We were lost and found, in the nick of time
    While the ship was going down
    We were lost and found, just in time
    With the hurricane crossing the coast line
    Oh

This thing is bigger than the both of us
    It's gonna put us in our place
    Now we've got no time to waste

They're putting up the barricades
    Because the hurricane is heading up this way
    So won't you come in from the cold and the pouring rain
    And the old sea dog says shiver me timbers
    The sky's gone black
    And it's like the dead of winter

We were lost and found in the pouring rain
    When the hurricane swept across the coast line

This thing is bigger than the both of us
    We're gonna see what really matters
    When you see that storm stare us in the face

We were lost and found
    And we beat the fear
    We came through the storm
    Now it all seems clear
    We were lost and found, standing here
    Looking at the new frontier

Lost and found, just in time

Lost and found, just in time

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music Ltd.

Essentially this is based around a story during Hurricane Gloria, which battered the North Eastern USA in Sept/Oct 1985.
    It was the first hurricane since 1960 to hit the New York, Long Island area and caused $900 million worth of damage and cost 14 lives.

Gloria actually made her first landfall in North Carolina with 74-87 mph winds.
    As Gloria was off the coast of New Jersey it was producing 81-101 mph winds.
    It hit New York with a 6.9ft/2.1 metre storm surge.
    The storm also went on to batter New England and Canada.
    After the storm, President Ronald Reagan declared several counties in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts as federal disaster areas.

Essentially, in a broad sense, this song is about events of this type causing re-evaluation of life and relationships.

This was the second single in the UK and the third in the USA from the Think Visual album.
    In the US this song charted at 37 on the US Mainstream Rock Chart.... which for the record is essentially ranking the most played songs on mainstream rock radio.

We open lyrically with a general overview of what is about to happen. There is a hurricane about to hit, and those people living on the street really need to get their stuff together, or it will really mess them up.

We have the chorus/refrain of "we were lost and found, just in the nick of time"

"This thing is bigger than the both of us
    Now we've got no time to waste"

I get this feeling of context.... almost like a couple has been arguing over who has been doing the dishes the most, and whether that's right or fair, or whatever, and then they are left facing possible death.... possible severe injury ... so many possibilities open up when we get some serious aggression from nature.... and suddenly all those petty things, that we may have been bickering about, are given a real "big picture" context.

"This thing is bigger than the both of us
    We're gonna see what really matters
    When you see that storm stare us in the face"

Essentially this is merely backing up, and giving further context to what is going on.

"We were lost and found
    And we beat the fear
    We came through the storm
    Now it all seems clear
    We were lost and found, standing here
    Looking at the new frontier"

This sort of gives the idea a bit of a twist.
    We came through the storm, now it seems clear and we're looking at a new frontier...
    The size of this physical assault gave us reason to re-evaluate and we made it through, and in light of all that, we have a new horizon. We can put all the dreck behind us and move onto the next stage.

In some ways this speaks to more than just the storm. Anyone who has been married knows that marriage can be a storm of its own. Sometimes you need to ride out the storm, and not run away at the first sign of rain.
    The idea that the couple have regrouped and strengthened in the face of adversity is obvious, but to me there is this subtle hint that it shouldn't take adversity to keep our house in order.
    There is this feeling that we didn't care for it enough until something threatened to take it away by force .... like that unity of spirit in the US after the 9/11 attacks.... the unity of spirit in England during the Battle Of Britain. As I think we have discussed on here before, there is this thing that happens in times of extreme testing, on a personal and community level, that frequently results in a unifying of those involved....

Anyway, that's the kind of feel I get from this song.

In some ways I suppose certain sections may not be the smoothest Ray lyrics, but they work well in the context of the song, and the delivery adds a certain poignancy on top of that.

We open with a steady beat, and an electric piano, and the guitars colouring the rhythm of the song.
    The short instrumental section following the verse has this very effective yet simple tonal percussion, which is likely a synth of some description and it works well. It is another steel drum kind of sound... anyway, I like it.

We get a sort of hybrid bridge/chorus, and it works really well too.

Dave comes in with a nice succinct rolling lead break and it modulates up and it works really well also.

Then we get this dynamic drop.... and again, for me it is really effective. It is like a moment to take stock of where we are and what is going on.
    Then we punch in with a nice drum fill, and a return to Dave on the lead.
    We mellow out again, and then punch back in again.
    Ray goes for a couple of fake endings, but this second has Dave step up the lead just enough, and then a sax line comes in and we play out to the end.

I guess this track could be shortened at the end, but it has a feel and style I enjoy, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

It looks like the single is about 45 seconds shorter, and I can't help feeling that the version on my cd ends with the vocal, rather than the instrumental, but I don't have time to double check that at the moment, and I know @Michael Streett will fill in the blanks there for us.

I really like this, and the album is shooting a pretty high 2 for 2 in my world.

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

23. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"Lost And Found" - I always liked this song largely because I like the melody of the chorus when Ray sings "lost and found". It is interesting to learn that this was inspired by Hurricane Gloria (I have no remembrance - Katrina is burned into my memory but not Gloria). I always saw the song as being metaphorical but its real life inspiration is interesting to me. I really like the bridge (which shows up twice) and the guitar solo that follows its second appearance. A lot of repetition in this song but it works for me.

24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Unfortunately with ‘Lost And Found’ tho it’s clearly a song that offers a lot, I can’t get over the chorus’s fairly notable debt to Holland/Dozier/Holland’s ‘It’s The Same Old Song’ as performed by The Four Tops. This isn’t my original observation: I saw it mentioned all over those same Web 1.0 reviews I mentioned upthread, but I’m afraid I agree and find the similarity insurmountable. I can understand how other listeners mileage may vary tho and wish mine did too:

25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Lost And Found"

I think this is the lesser of the two big ballads on the album, but it's still pretty great. Some have pointed out the melodic similarity to "Same Old Song", but I hadn't noticed that over all these years.

I really like the change we get at "they're putting up the barricades" with the additional acoustic licks - there's a nice warm feeling to it. And I like the "old sea dog" line. It possibly doesn't need a second instance of the dynamic drop near the end, but I've never really noticed this bit feeling too long. The track seems to me to earn its five minute duration. As is the case with most of this album, it's nothing spectacular or ground-breaking, but it doesn't need to be. It's Ray Davies singing a Ray Davies song, and sometimes that is enough in itself.