The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The clip I posted has both songs.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

ah, apologies for my poor observational skills and jumping the gun, I missed that.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Just for the record the only tracks I can find from The Road are the title track, Cliches Of The World Think Visual and It....

Which is somewhat of a shame, but we'll get by.

4. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

On a wild hair last week I started looking at future songs/albums and started here on The Road. I assumed they would all be there on You Tube but as you just discovered most are not.

I've been in my (The) Video Shop over the weekend ripping from CD and creating the missing songs so I'll have the individual song videos from the album plus the B-side on whatever day we need them. I've already completed everything.
    You just decide if you want me to send them to you the day before via PM or however. I get up early but not quite as early as you do even though I'm an hour ahead :laugh:.

5. mark winstanley

Lol
    Unless anyone's perturbed about it.
    I don't have an awful lot to say about the live versions...
    I reckon I'll drop the opening post, and you can post the tracks when you get a chance...

To me the main tracks on the Road are the title track, the excellent version of Destroyer, and Cliches...
    "It" being new is good as well, but that title track is a corker.... an instant favourite for me. . Reason enough to own the album

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  6. Michael Streett

Whatever works best. If you don't want to mess with PMs, then just let me know what days will be for which songs. I won't be writing anything about the old songs either other than commenting on anything unusual I did for any specific video to do these. The CD indexing created some issues on some tracks where two had to be combined and then edited together, but otherwise straight rips with nothing added or taken out by me, unlike some YouTubers who think they are "remixing" or "remastering".

7. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

You're a World treasure avid @Michael Streett

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Think Visual

Here we have a different sounding song from the Kinks. And in this case it works pretty well. And for once the song ends earlier than I expected or was ready for it too!
    Another poster said this and How Are You make a good one/two punch. I would agree with that
    After a so so start, this album is getting better.

9. mark winstanley

Yes indeed, and in deed

10. mark winstanley

..... yea PM them to me. That way they're together.
    Cheers mate

11. Michael Streett

Will do. I’ll send all the missing ones in album order over the weekend sometime late Sat/early Sun so you have everything ahead of time.

12. mark winstanley

Cheers mate, you're a champion

13. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Love the song “The Road”, can’t stand “It”. Like a Frank Zappa song gone wrong.

Mitchy, CheshireCat, markelis and 4 others like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Again guys, thank you all.
    This thread has been a team sport, and that's why it's going along so well :righton:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  15. mark winstanley

I was really enjoying the Road anyway, but I went through it this morning.
    It sits up with Celluloid Heroes, 20th Century Man and the like... it is certainly top tier Klassic Kinks to me

16. The late man

I'm ready to defend "It" above "The Road". Everything is going according to the plan.

17. mark winstanley

Lol
    I haven't deep dived "It" yet... on peripheral hearings I don't dislike it at all... when I go through it properly, it may end up just as loved, but The Road will remain brilliant either way.

18. The late man

I need to deep dive both honestly

My main issue with The Road for the time being is it sounds as if I had been in charge of the recording and mixing (and that's not a good thing)

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Think Visual starts off so well with that nice acoustic intro, but then it goes off in a completely unexpected direction and it loses me. I guess I need a lot more time with it!

20. mark winstanley

"It" is great by the way... just digging into it now

21. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

How Are You

Dave playing the Where Have All The Good Times chords on the distorted rumbly guitar neath the keyboard sheen and then at the very end you get the Tired of Waiting riff of course. This one is about Chrissie I reckon. Why? It sounds like Message of Love complete with the repeated word: Over, and Over, and Over on MOL and Friend, Friend, Friend here. I'm not saying Honeyman-Scott is playing the Where Have All The Good Times riff instead he seperated the main parts of it with that suspended chord that breaks up the MOL opening riff.

Very creative move by an innovative guitarist. How Are You is like 3 songs in one: the keyboard filigrees and soft Angelic chorus on How Are You floating over the top, Dave's buried grungey guitar churning out the WHATGTG/TOWFY riff beneath it all and in the middle that more jamgly slighty REMIsh guitar conplimenting Ray's verses of regret.

There is a lot going on in this song. It is layered in a way Kinks songs rarely are. Dave's spindly solo is splendid. How Are You is both the closed the Kinks ever sounded like the 1979-1983 circa Pretenders and Ray like Chrissie.

It's a remarkable song that keeps revealing bits of itself all these years later. Some really great guitar work by Dave here and Ray. It's a guitar-driven song yet heavily keyboard as well (the keyboards however are playing guitar-like melodic riffs.

That Ray could still write a song like this in 1986 is remarkable and gives a glimmer of where a certain demo of songs wanted to go. Ray would never write a somg like this for the Kinks again. In some ways its the culmination of the power pop side of the Kinks.

I never picked up on the Prentenders vibe of the song till listening to it a couple time just now. I'm surprised by it but I hear it at least though I may be lone man in this boat.

22. ThereOnceWasANote

Natural Gift and Think Visual are the same somgs I've alway thought. They've always sounded remarkably similar to me.

23. ThereOnceWasANote

I prefer this live version to the studio take. I like faster pace that almost gets Henrit to swing (almost). This is less campy and theatrey. Less is more here.

24. ThereOnceWasANote

Describes it perfectly.

25. ThereOnceWasANote

You're not the only who thought that. I agree with you about it or the sister song that follows it making great commercial singles.