The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I love Sunny Afternoon obviously, I have very little to add to what's been said. One of their very best, cleverest and most commercial singles. It tells a story, it has an unusual choice of narrator that shows Ray was interested in writing from the perspective of every layer of society. The bridge is in itself catchy enough to be a chorus, and in the chorus itself the hooks keep coming. The plethora of different hooks is a quality it shares with "Waterloo Sunset", and so I often pair the two songs in my mind: one representing daytime, the other evening.

Very amusing to see it performed in a snowy landscape for the promo film.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is this from To The Bone?

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Same here.

Last time I saw Ray live was 2012 at The Royal Albert Hall, London!

Adam9, mark winstanley and FJFP like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Apparently the same tour, but not the same version

5. All Down The Line

Absolutely agree Mark and you just reminded me that years ago I wrote an A4 sheet up of the best 60's Rock 7" singles released that had great tracks on both sides.
    This was absolutely one of the first I chose and it stands up to the best even from bigger names!

6. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

On the other hand, I have always been a bit lukewarm about I'm Not Like Everybody Else. (I've made this a separate post so people can like my other post and dislike this one).I think because I've heard it covered so often, and it seems such an overly obvious song to cover. It's so simple, and such a typical self-aggrandizing statement, the kind of thing a lesser songwriter like Noel Gallagher might write about. There's a Groucho Marx quote somewhere (that I can't find right now) to the effect that everyone thinks that they're an individual, and that everyone else is a conformist. The implication being that it's usually a delusion. That would be a more interesting angle for a song, to me.

But putting all that aside, and listening to the song afresh (for the first time in ages: it's not a song I seek out) I have to admit that musically it's a bit tasty.

I wonder why it wasn't on Face to Face. It's hard to decode now the unwritten code that governed what type of singles tracks were allowed on UK albums in the '60s, and what was deemed a rip-off to fans. But it seems that usually, if a single was left off an album, the b-side was too, whereas if a single was included, the b-side was also included. Maybe one of the experts can tell me.

7. All Down The Line

Yes agree after listening past the first minute after my premature post but it sure does sound like it is from a similar period.

8. All Down The Line

Mark we are not going forward to discuss Some Mother's Son yet and besides it's a field!

donstemple and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

:)

10. All Down The Line

Superb post touching on many key points!

Zeki, Fortuleo, ajsmith and 1 other person like this.
  11. mark winstanley

Totally agree with this, as I awkwardly tried to say in my post....
    I still love the song though, in spite of that :)

FJFP and Vagabone like this.
  12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

You might enjoy this quasi-answer song Sparks wrote 10 years later. AFAIK they've never commented on it being a response to the Kinks song, but they're huge fans, there's absolutely no way they didn't know what they were doing here.

Especially in todays world where every dullard bleats on about how they're special free thinkers so different from all the other 'NPCs' and 'sheeple', I find this perverse and self deprecating rallying cry to actually wanting to conform to be incredibly refreshing. (that said, like Mark, I still love The Kinks original despite not completely getting on with the message)

13. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The writer Mary Robinson called Sunny Afternoon one of the ten best records of all-time.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  14. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Too much to write about the important “Sunny Afternoon” but no time to do it. Maybe later today.

As for the wonderful “I’m Not Like Everybody Else,” will this thread cover “The Great Lost Kinks Album?” By the time we get to it all its tracks will have been covered on deluxe re-issues. That LP is where I first encountered it, and my epic journey to acquire that difficult-to-find treasure is a story for another time.

15. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Interesting. I have a friend who feels the same. I was in his presence when he heard this song for the first time and his reaction was the same. He specifically said this was the most predictable song he ever heard unfold in real time.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  16. mark winstanley

To the best of my ability I'll be covering all official releases.

I am grouping the songs the way I am in an attempt to have a logical flow of the bands progression.

Fischman and ajsmith like this.
  17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Sunny Afternoon
    Here's where I show my ability to separate personal tast or reaction from greatness. I really don't care to listen to this song much, but freely acknowledge its greatness. There are a number of musical devices at play here that don't fit well into my personal ear, but they are absolutely appropriate to the song and they are both skilfully and artfully executed. Objectively a classic but subjectively not near the top of my personal heap.... although I have come to like it more and more as the years have passed. It's been a bit of a grower for me.

I'm Not Like Everybody Else.
    Similar response as above, although to a much lesser extent.

A spectacular Kinks day for most; personally, I'm more looking forward to what's to come.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    FJFP and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

As far as I am concerned, two of the greatest pop songs ever written..

Just to go about face, starting with the B- side.. always love me a Dave vocal. As with "Mr Reporter" there's a razor edge to his voice and delivery that makes it clear that he means it, man (regardless of who wrote it). Surprised to hear it get some short shrift here - for me it beautifully encapsulates the arrogance of youth, with a hidden edge of vulnerability - "Please don't let me become Mr Average". I think of it as coming from a sort of kitchen sink, angry young man character, the likes of Arthur Seaton in "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning". (We'll return to the kitchen sink on the next couple of albums..)

As for "Sunny Afternoon", well, it's just perfect. Ennui with a hint of bitterness, an upbeat honky tonk bridge, the lapse back into soporific contemplation... and that's just the chord sequence.

This quote was about "Dedicated..." and with the current song, is where Ray came in to his own - certain songs that paint an astonishingly vivid mental picture. It's not right for every song, but when he chooses to, Ray is a peerless visual lyricist, a musical novelist. I think some of Paul Weller's Jam stuff works similarly (no surprise!)

They're not bad are they, The Kinks..

19. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

The best combined single release we have seen so far, hands down. Is it also the longest A/B side combo they have released? Both songs are approaching 3:30.

Sunny Afternoon

This is the first non-garage rock Kinks song I was introduced to, by a friend of mine while in around 9th grade. "This is the Kinks?". It's wonderful, breezy, bouncy, smooth, timeless, and just a perfectly written pop tune that could only have come out of the mind of Ray Davies. But to me, the best word that I think I've seen used to describe this song is "atmospheric". This is a song you can close your eyes to, and you can see it, you can feel it, you can smell it, you can breathe it. Ray takes you there. He's not showing you the character. You are the character. You are sitting in your lounge chair in the backyard, sipping your adult beverage, taking in the sun, even though your girlfriend (or partner) ran off and the government is taxing the hell out of you for the life you lead.

I also don't see particular malice in the "telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty", but it's such a dark line delivered in the middle of an otherwise light and lazy verse. It just grabs you and is so unique. His voice gets a bit lower there, but then rises again for the next line.

I'm Not Like Everybody Else.
    Total opposite of the A-side in practically all aspects, except for the fact that I also love this song. The grittiness, the snarling vocal from Dave. There's almost a hint of what we'll hear in "Wicked Annabella" in the vocal delivery.

Yes! The "zorro" sign is a perfect analogy for that intro riff; Dave announcing that you are going to be seeing something special and making sure you are ready for it. "En garde!"

The intensity just builds and builds, and releases in such an engaging way. The other takeaway I have is that song is surprisingly long for early '66. They could have decided to fade out around 2:15, but I am glad they added that extra verse and the outro (with Ray!).

Just to wrap up, both songs are about the same length. But I'm Not Like Everybody Else *seems* longer because its more intense. The same length of Sunny Afternoon seems shorter because of the feel of the song (to me). I suppose all time is relative...

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  20. mark winstanley

To me that's a terribly important element to this song. I have never even been moderately well off, and also, long before I had even had a girlfriend, this song has always put me in the seat, with the beer, and the disengaged attitude... the kind of "oh well F it all" thing, with the counterpoint of sitting back and enjoying what's actually available, a nice day, sitting around and chilling out.

Nice post

21. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Sunny Afternoon-What a timeless classic: One of the few songs that the grandparents, the parents,
    the children and the grandchildren can enjoy and sing along to. There's not very many songs you can say that about. "Sunny Afternoon" deserves a special mention as it shows what The Kinks did best. It’s the play-off between softer verses and harder choruses, the balance between retrospection and contemporary British issues, and the general air of genuineness and relatability that made it a deserving hit and one of The Kinks’ best and most defining songs.

I'm Not Like Everybody Else-. This song is a defiant anthem of non-conformity.
    This could have been a really iconic 60s song if it'd been released at the right time, and been a fully-fleged A side.

22. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

A very different cover of "Sunny Afternoon" from The Kinks tribute Give The People What They Want
    by Baby Gramps

23. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

From The Ray Davies Songbook Bob Geldof takes a swing at it.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well... I was mesmerized!

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Spew my coffee time. :D Very humorous notation.

Vagabone likes this.