The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Nice interview with Dave in the September 2022 issue of Uncut.

2. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

Brief Sidetrack:

Not to purposely rain on anyone’s parade, burst anyone’s proverbial bubble or propound any other related overused idioms but, much to my personal dismay, Zooey Deschanel is one of the most dislikeable people with whom I’ve ever had the displeasure of working.

Difficult to believe based on the image her handlers rather successfully project, huh? I bought the first two She and Him albums and found them slight, yet enjoyable enough.

And then I worked with her.

Ugh.

Acquaintances on New Girl described similar unhappy experiences. I’ve done a few projects with the DP who shot Elf and asked him how she was on that project. He had nothing good to say.

Kind of breaks one’s heart, doesn’t it?

End of Divagation

3. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I actually bought the "Well Respected Men" double album in real time, as soon as it was released. This was at a time when I was still buying Record Collector magazine every month, and I still have all those issues - I guess even those are collectable now!

It saved me from having to trawl round record fairs looking through racks of 7" singles to find the few remaining non-album tracks that I was lacking, though in another way it takes away the thrill of the chase. I've enjoyed "She's Got Everything" more over the years having found it on a 7" than I have "Act Nice And Gentle", which I heard first on this album.

The only real disappointment is the omission of "This Is Where I Belong", which I had still never heard, although I note that I added it to my digital copy of this album somewhere along the way. There is also a section of the notes that is pasted up in the wrong order.

My copy of the album is still in immaculate condition and sounds good, and now apparently worth a median value of £26.12 according to Discogs.

This was part of a more general reissue of Pye material by PRT - they also reissued all the Searchers and Status Quo albums, amongst others.

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Oh well, that’s Hollywood for you. I do know that she did let Geoff Edgers interview her about her Kinks fandom in his movie Do It Again. I think they actually did a Kinks song together.

5. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

seconded.

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Awwwww...:love:. So nice of you and @DISKOJOE to say. I feel such guilt for not being on here. i miss you guys! We got back yesterday and I've been in recovery mode from jetlag (Traveling kicks my ass more than it should). I will try to start the catch-up tomorrow.

I DID get to see the Davies Bros childhood home as well as eat (and drink) at the Clissold Arms. (I also hung out in the Highgate area of London which is where the brothers currently live.) I'll post some photos, even though you can find similar photos online.

Hope everyone is well.

7. DISKOJOE

Don’t feel guilty at all, Avid Wondergirl. You got to see your daughter and you had a great time in the UK. How did you like Oxford?

8. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Ouch. The June issue has only just gone on sale in newsagents in Australia. It couldn't be any slower if they shipped them by camel train.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Good to hear from you mate.
    Chill out, recalibrate and fill us in when you're ready

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Love to hear your E.C. story.

11. mark winstanley

Sadly not really anything to tell.
    Waited out the back of the Ent. Cent.
    Got a fleeting autograph and an EC was here guitar pick...
    Not really anything to tell... skinny little teenager gets autograph lol

12. Brian x

Damn, some good stories this Sunday. Lou Reed performed as expected in the @Fortuleo situation, but @Fortuleo got a great story out of it.

Yes, I loved listening to Jonesy's Jukebox -- he was incredibly funny and even kind of sweet without having lost his punk working class edge. Hope he made a few bucks off the Pistols series. Clearly a good guy who really knows his music; he'd be great on this thread.

I took a trip to NY with a friend around '87 & went to Tunnel as well. Met an Isley brother. Got very, very drunk. Great club, wild evening.

Re Yoko in the museum bookstore...

When it comes to Fabs-related sightings I've met a couple of the kids (Dhani, Sean) and managed to remain calm and professional. But one day I was driving by the Henson Studios lot and my friend who had an office there said "see that Mustang, that's Paul McCartney's." Totally unexpectedly and without warning, I started to scream like the woman in Top of the Pops. I mean I started to SCREAM. I shocked the hell out of myself. It was just Paul's CAR, it wasn't even Paul. I mean I stepped on Mick Jagger's foot at a club and very calmly apologized and moved on. But Paul's ****ing car, that made me scream.

So glad free-form Sundays allow a little bit of this kind of talk. Fabs fabs fabs. Although at this point I have more Kinks on my various playlists.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  13. DISKOJOE

Avid Brian X, you didn’t state what kind of Mustang did Sir Paul have. If it was like this, then I too would squeal like a little girl. Otherwise, meh:

[​IMG]

Speaking of cars, I just saw Le Mans w/Steve McQueen tonight. Nice footage of the 1970 LeMans race, w/plenty of Ferraris and especially the Porsche 917. Also, the beginning where Steve McQueen is going through the village in a vintage Porsche 911 is also pretty cool.

14. Brian x

@DISKOJOE .... it was blue. I didn't see any racing stripes.

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Wonderful stories today. I loved reading the Lou Reed story from @Fortuleo. Lou Reed is famous for those type of stories and you got to witness it first hand! I have no random meetings of musicians, but once when I was visiting NYC, I went to get a bagel and lox at the fantastic Russ and Daughters. Anthony Bourdain was filming an episode when we walked in. He was very nice. I'm not an autograph fiend, but we got a picture with him. The picture was snapped mid bagel chew! I looked very short standing next to him! I'm still shocked that he is no longer with us.

I always feel awkward asking for an autograph. I can only recall asking two people for an autograph. It was Arthur lee and Donovan. I'm more interested in just saying hello and talking to them for a few minutes. One time I waited to speak to Steve Kilbey after a Church show. He looked at me and was waiting for me to hand him something to sign. I just wanted to say I loved the music. I thought I guess I have the ticket stub from the concert, so I pulled it out of my pocket and it had warm sticky gum all over it. I handed it to him and he said "EEWWW". I said don't worry, this is a fresh piece of gum that I didn't already chew! I still have that ticket stub with the gum and his signature on it. I have met him many times since then, and he was kind enough to put me on his guest list to a Church show that was sold out. I don't think he remembered the gum incident.

Sorry about Covid @Zeki! It seems like more and more people I know are getting it recently. It will eventually catch up with me, but I have still somehow remained Covid free.

Welcome back @Wondergirl!

Down with Zooey! It figures that the people who want to be perceived as sweet and kind are generally the complete opposite! I never quite understood She & Him. I think they should now do a Lou Reed album. :)

16. All Down The Line

Ta Mark, the lines notes were a nice read.

17. All Down The Line

So you never worked with Lou Reed? :)

18. All Down The Line

But it's the real mcoy as you went to these places and took pictures to prove they really existed!

19. All Down The Line

Sounds like he was at least cordial.

20. All Down The Line

Let's keep it that way sir! :cop:

Steve62, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  21. All Down The Line

All this +1 regarding that film!

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  22. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

What's next on the itinerary?

I thought I'd better start investigating 80 Days, so I had a quick listen to the opening track this morning. Now I want to hear the rest of it!

23. mark winstanley

It gets better and better.

Next three days is Dave songs, Then we launch into The Road, and then we have 80 Days

24. mark winstanley

No More Mysteries.

Standing here in the cold, cold rain
    Waiting on for hours
    But my love for you still remains
    I see you as more than a friend

I know I still got a lot to learn
    But I'm glad I found you
    In your eyes there is something real
    I see you as more than a man

For history was born in Egypt
    Suffered by man's vanity
    The mysteries, the rock of ages
    Made a fool out of you and me
    No more mystery, no more fear or sorrow
    All their lies won't satisfy me
    No more mysteries, no more fear or sorrow
    Only love gonna set us free

Many times you've come and gone
    To lend us a helping hand
    Every light[?] upon your face
    Reminds me you're more than a man

Give me strength to carry on
    From a path that lingers dark
    Break the sword and give us light
    The future is out of command

For history was born in Egypt
    Suffered by man's power and greed
    The mysteries, the rock of ages
    No more mystery, no more fear and sorrow
    All the lies won't satisfy me
    No more mystery, no more fear or sorrow
    Only love gonna set us free

Is this all we ever wanted?
    A planet of fear
    Is this all we got to live for?
    Look on a clear night
    Far to the north star
    Open your heart

Mystery, no more sorrow
    All their lies won't satisfy me
    No more mystery, the rock of ages
    No more mystery, no more fear and sorrow
    All the lies won't satisfy me
    No more mystery, the rock of ages
    No more mysteries
    No more mysteries
    No more mysteries

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Dabe Music

This is an interesting one. It has a really interesting sound that could well be the fact that it is obviously a demo, but the sound kind of reminds me of some nineties alt. rock kind of releases, but the song itself has a sort of country folk kind of feel.

This is a really interesting lyric, with it opening up like a love song to a girl that left him standing in the rain, Misunderstanding again lol
    But what we actually have is Dave on a path of spiritual discovery, singing to some higher power that comes and helps us every now and again through the course of time, in his version of events.

It seems like the angle Dave is coming from is that for all of what we regard as our modern intelligence, the reality has made a fool out of us.
    Of course the Rock of Ages is one of the many names of God, and Dave suggests that the world started in Egypt.... and even if that isn't the exact locations most scholars would subscribe to the idea that our origins are from the Middle East.

Anyway, without getting into territory that will get us shut down, I think this is a very interesting lyric, and Dave seems to get more coherent in his lyrics as we move along on the thread.

Musically it is bright and somewhat reverby/echoey, but in spite of the low quality of the sound, I like what seems to be the aim of the sound, and the slide guitar is really effective.

We open with studio sounds, and then this bass and drums backing comes in, and we get this dense layering of guitars that for me work really well.

It is the first time I have heard this, but it works for me pretty much straight away, and it has a sort of familiar comfortable feel as a song, even though it sounds quite different to most of Dave's stuff.

I like this.

25. mark winstanley

Wait.

Looking out at the starry night
    Think of the times we spent together
    I was the one who knew it all
    But I guess you'll find out in this letter

I'll wait, wait in case she calls
    Wait here by the phone
    I made a big mistake
    I know all the pain I've caused
    I am so alone, will you come on home?

If I saw a shooting star
    I wish that time would rearrange
    You'd be here in front of me
    Hold each other, face the world together
    But I guess it's not to be

I'll wait, wait in case she calls
    Wait here by the phone
    I made a big mistake
    But I'll wait, wait in case she calls
    I'll wait

Oh, time and time again
    I miss you so
    Ooh, where did you go?
    Won't you please come on home?

I'll wait, wait until you call
    Wait here by the phone
    I made a big mistake
    I know all that I did wrong

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Dabe Music

At this stage, I feel like this is an album I'll want to get to be honest. So far, this being the third song, this stuff sounds like some of the best stuff Dave has done over the years.

Again we have a demo sound here, but it comes in very strongly. It is a drum machine sounding intro, with a bass synth pad and some other synth parts coming in intermittently.

Lyrically this is definitely a love song to a lady, and a longing for things to have turned out differently. Wait is a literal thing here. Something happens that causes a split up, and Dave is going to wait by the phone in case she calls.

Most of the vocals are really very good, and in that comfy Dave vocal zone for most folks.
    We get a bridge that moves into the higher register, but Dave sings with a fragility that, from my perspective, makes this quite engaging.

This is essentially layers of synth musically, and I'm fine with that, I think it works as a song, and it sounds whole in what it is trying to share.

Another one I like.