The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I dutifully wiki’d and couldn’t see any MCA connection but maybe I didn’t probe hard enough.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

AFAIK that's the only song that was filmed from that concert (would love to be wrong though). If we included single songs, you could also add in Long Tall Sally at the Cavern in '64 and Sunny Afternoon at Jazz Bilden in 1970.

3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The soundtracks for the movies mentioned came out on MCA Records, which were big hits and made plenty of money for MCA which Ray wanted a bit of for his projects. Sorry about that.

4. DISKOJOE

I think that there has to be more from that particular concert since I’ve seen similar concerts by The Who and The Spencer Davis Group that lasted longer.

5. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

MTV did film this or rather "videotaped" it, but it never aired (what else is new). Parts of this were used in the promo video for the song "The Road" which we will see tomorrow. I had forgotten about this show, so glad you had me look this up today as I had questions about that video and the audio in it (hybrid studio/live) and I think this answers those questions.

The Russell Smith @ajsmith mentions was part of our old KPS Digest email group back in the 90s and 2000s and around these parts in the Forum up until a few years ago and had all sorts of insider information and connections about what was going on with the releases of the band and apparently still does. His name is in many of the reissue liner notes "Thanks" sections over the years.

Good call on those soundtracks being released on MCA @DISKOJOE. I didn't even think about that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Add Rockapalast ‘82 and Frankfurt ‘84 to my list above: can’t believe I forgot those!

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It looks like this mat be the bluray contents? for those interested in the new SDE, and this interests me enough to probably not pull my order

1 Muswell Hillbilly (2022 Remaster)
    2 Ray Davies 1971 Home Movie: Spoken Word One
    3 Have a Cuppa Tea (Ray Davies 2022 remix)
    4 Ray Davies 1971 Home Movie: Spoken Word Two
    5 Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (Live at Carnegie Hall, New York, 3rd March 1972) [2022 Remaster]
    6 Ray Davies 1971 Home Movie: Spoken Word Three
    7 Sitting in My Hotel (Ray Davies 2022 remix)
    8 Ray Davies 1971 Home Movie: Spoken Word Four
    9 Unreal Reality (2022 Remaster)
    10 Ray Davies 1971 Home Movie: Spoken Word Five
    11 Alcohol (Live at Carnegie Hall, New York, 3rd March 1972) [2022 Remaster]
    12 Motorway (Ray Davies 2022 remix)
    13 Celluloid Heroes (2022 Mix)
    14 Lola (Live at Carnegie Hall, New York, 3rd March 1972) [2022 Remaster

9. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

The Road

I had no idea this even came out at the time. Was barely buying music in '88. I thought Tracy Chapman might be a sign of something interesting to come (nope, and her first LP was so overplayed when I was in Thailand the next year that I haven't listened to it since), Green was solid REM, Public Enemy & the Cure were doing interesting stuff, but I was giving up on my rock gods (Down in the Groove, Never Let Me Down, Tunnel of Love, ugh) and I was so out of touch musically, working at a white shoe DC law firm & trying to work out my escape plan, that I didn't do the requisite deep diving to find the good stuff that was coming out. Didn't even pick up Traveling Willburys until the following year.

Oh yeah, it was a gift from someone who didn't know I already had the thing on LP & CD.

BTW the guy who sold me the Great Lost Kinks LP, who seemed pretty knowledgeable about the Kinks in general, had never heard of 80 Days. So, thanks to this thread, I appeared cool for a brief and shining moment at the record store.

10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The Road

I have never heard this album. I just gave the title track a listen and will save my thoughts until tomorrow. I wasn't thrilled with One For The Road, so this album never piqued my interest. The album cover didn't help either. It was one of those albums that was always in the dollar bin sitting next to Think Visual and Word of Mouth. The generic looking Kinks albums! Live albums are generally not my thing, but I'm curious to hear how they sound compared to the last live record.
    Thanks for letting me know! That is too expensive for me at the moment. I'm already far over my record budget for the month, since I bought the recent Frank Black and The Catholics box set. The XTC thread has also made me want to buy nearly every XTC album! This forum is bad for my wallet. I have a record/music addiction and I'm running out of space! Yesterday, I also bought an extremely clean copy of a 1972 More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies). It looks brand new and like it had never been played. It sounded magnificent! "Child of the Moon", "Dandelion", and "We Love You" are just a few of the must have Stones tunes on this compilation. I was also quite pleased with the sound quality of Think Visual.

Speaking of Frank Black, I was curious if my Wilco friends @Zeki and @Fortuleo have ever listened to these Catholics albums? Wilco and Frank sound very closely related on some of his albums. I was picking up Wilco flavor on a lot of it, but mostly the album Black Letter Days. Check it out, if you are not familiar with it.

I think I will wait and see how I feel about Phobia after we discuss it. I have never given it much attention, and not sure if I even like most of it.

11. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

The Road

I haven't heard any of these live tracks yet, just heard the title track a couple times so far recently. When did Ray's fascination with "the Road" start? With Life on the Road? I don't think Salvation Road counts. Maybe Motorway, before they Americanized it as "the Road"?

The cover of this album is pretty lame. It does say "the Kinks" multiple times on it, and not in a cool way like One for the Road. They should have just picked one for the Road.

The color scheme of the cover does recall Preservation Act 2, in that there is a horizon, sorta sunset colors, and a sign/billboard that would be next to a road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Here is the (West) Germany cover and back, slightly different. I don't see this cover for any other country. I like this design a little better personally.

Better, worse, neither?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DISKOJOE

Wasn’t there a problem w/a portion of the video on the former?

14. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I bought The Road on vinyl when it came out. I also saw the Kinks performing the title song on late night tv. The live thing of most performers is what I am really interested in. The studio albums are music i have paid attention to but the songs the band plays live are the ones I end up knowing. But that's also why I joined this thread. To brush up on the katalogue. But for me this record was a no brainer. New song to make sure no band had more songs about the road than the Kinks. Love that Ray called it "The Road"! One For The Road was a pretty strong album in terms of representing the Kinks then current show using the trusty double live format. It also lured in fans like me looking to learn more about the Kinks. Here we have a single disc that I think is pretty well curated and it makes a strong case for the Kinks as a current force - certainly not dinosaurs. It has a bit of everything and some of the strongest later material. Definite version of 'Art Lover" in my view (it's the way he sings appreciate).

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I remember seeing the tour for this at Massey Hall in Toronto. Particularly because I got to go backstage. Met Dave, and had a good chat, mostly about guitars. I remember telling him I liked Chosen People. Then met Ray. Very limp handshake. He just wanted to talk about industry stuff. But I was with industry folks.

16. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Oh, should add, other than the title cut, I have no memories of this record at all, except that I liked the riff in It.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’m unfamiliar. I’ll check it out.

18. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

It's interesting (vaguely, anyway) that record club copies of The Road didn’t have barcodes. Is that because they were copies a person couldn’t buy in a store? Maybe no record club albums ever had barcodes. Hmmm…

I’m not sure why I have three copies of this dud. I know who gave me the promo (KNAC, once again) and recall wasting my own hard-earned dough on a copy procured at Music Plus on the traffic circle in Long Beach, CA… but where did that record club copy come from, I wonder. Perhaps, Kellogg’s was giving away free copies with each box of Corn Flakes sold!

I think Ray’s tiresome fixation with “the road” started with Here Comes yet Another Day and simply refused to die. Sheesh.

~Huck

P.S. I like Mr. Streett’s West German cover the best yet!
    [​IMG]

19. DISKOJOE

Avid Huck, I’ve seen and purchased CDs that originally came from record clubs and they usually don’t have the product barcode on them.

20. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

Thanks, DJ!

That just makes sense and I now shall consider that particular Record Club mystery case closed.

Next up, the current whereabouts of Amelia Earhart and whether the Phaistos Disc was truly AAA or did MFSL mislead their customers and, in fact, utilize a digital step in the process.

~Huck

21. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

A quite decent live album, as I recall. The highlight though, as pointed out IIRC by @Martyj , is the title track. I agree that it’s the best song from the MCA era. As for why Ray is obsessed with writing about The Road, well, it’s what he’s experiencing but on top of that, it is the life he chose. The lyrics to The Road seem to center The Kinks in their proper spot in that world, mentioning first the Stones, but later on “Jimi Hendrix, The Who, the Led Zeppelin and Free”, which evokes the late sixties, early seventies, Fillmore era when the Kinks made their bones on the live circuit in the States. Great chord progression too.

22. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Not sure I hear the Wilco/Frank Black connection but there must be one, as I’m a big fan of both and they are both avid Kinks followers. I used to buy all the Frank Black and the Catholics records in search for the couple extraordinary gems (at least) that never failed to be included. From the 2002 twin-releases, I remember End of Times, San Antonio TX and California Bound. This guy has one of the most extraordinary rock voices I’ve ever heard. His workmanlike attitude has sometimes been detrimental to his quality control, but I’ve always loved him nonetheless. I long hoped he would get back the “Black Francis” moniker and the Pixies, but when he did I virtually lost interest, I’ve never understood why or how it happened, as I’m usually the most loyal and durable fan.

As far as Kinks connections are concerned, let’s just remind ourselves Frank Black has done a cool Better Things cover and was picked by Sir Ray himself to do the This Is Where I Belong remake for his See My Friends project. To my knowledge, only one other guy alive has covered both these tracks (but only one officially), our oft-mentioned friend Ron Sexsmith (check out the two volumes fan made comps "Ron Sexsmih sings Ray Davies", two albums that really should exist).

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's a great track...

The road can be metaphorical and relatable in so many ways to everyone though. Whether physically, emotionally or any other --ly we are all on a Road of some distinction

24. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, excellent.

25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I never noticed it before, but listening to the entire box set of 6 albums in two days revealed a lot of similarities. There were a few occasions where I thought it totally sounded like Wilco. Frank became more country and Stones tinged on some of the Catholics albums. I feel like Frank and Wilco are coming from many of the same influences with the country, classic rock, and punk. I'm surprised they never toured together in the past 20 years. You mentioned three great songs. I love the twin releases. I highly recommend the song about him taking acid when he visited Graceland, "His Kingly Cave". I think fellow Elvis fan @mark winstanley would also get a kick out of this song. Frank kind of lost me after The Catholics, but the Black Francis album Bluefinger, made me interested again.

I really like the first two Pixies reunion albums, and think the first one unfairly gets a bad rap. Not so sure about that last album and the new single they just released. The Pixies bring him the paychecks, but I like when he is just Frank and feels like he can do any kind of album he wants. The Pixies must paint him into a corner.