The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's It, what is it?

2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I just received the new Goldie and the Gingerbreads anthology and not only did they cover “Look for Me Baby”, have several songs produced by Shel Talmy, they were one of the supporting acts on the bill when Dave and Mick had that incident in Cardiff in 1965, according to the liner notes.

3. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I’ve also read that Pete dated Goldie briefly and that the backing on Leapy Lee’s ‘King Of The Whole Wide World’ includes Dave and Pete on guitars with G and the Gs on b/vs.

4. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Put CD 1 of your set into your CD player(s) and let track one "She's Not There" start playing but then "rewind" to see if it goes before the index of track 1 into negative time stamps to reveal a hidden track (supposedly 30 seconds or so). Some early pressings of this set have a false start of "She's Not There" in demo form at this point in that pre-gap area before track 1 and that's the only way to access it on a CD player. Previously unreleased and not released anywhere else since to my knowledge, but I would love to be proven wrong here.

Not all pressings have this hidden track and not all CD players can access it if it does, so you might check other players if you have more than one. My copy of this box does not have this hidden track. I'm trying to find someone that has this set with the pre-gap and has a way of extracting that pre-gap via computer and sharing it somehow, someway. There's no way of identifying the various pressings that have this when ordering it, so I'm left to ordering random used box sets and try to get lucky, which I'm not quite prepared to do yet, but it may come to that :laugh:.

Check it out see what you got.

5. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I just tried it out and nothing happened.

6. Michael Streett

Same later pressing as me then. Thanks for checking!

7. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

It (Not It)

Would that be a better name? Like Was (not Was)? It (Not It) is how @Fortuleo 's second post of the day ended, and (Not It) works a lot better as a parenthetical than what RD wound up using.

Anyway, yes, Soap Opera, theatrical, good guitar stabs, interesting time signatures, & why do this live/why not record it?

But the Gorby/RR bit got me thinking about Ray and history. Because he isn't just an observer of mundane little pigeon-chested men and bored housewives who may or may not be jealous of their sisters, but of social conditions and transformations. So we might start with a plain simple man in a plain simple working class condition, but we end up in the lost land of Hallelujah, a dying empire, identical houses, accumulating debt...

With IT, RD starts with the 10,000 foot high, socio-political view -- the war that's been raging for decades, that threat of global extinction, is ending. But it isn't Wind of Change or any of the other hooray free at last songs of the late '80s -- it quickly zeros in on someone who may or may not even know about Gorby and Ronnie, an American or Western European (I imagine) who is being programmed to want more, to need more, to go into debt to get more.

That was the contrast of the era, so it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise that the end of the cold war didn't usher in an era of peace and plenty for all -- given that the Big Machine was running us in the exact opposite direction. Much as we celebrated the end (temporary suspension) of mutually assured destruction, a new, improved, relentless consumerist tide was washing over everyone, heralding an era of.... what we've got now.

I don't think a lot of *political* bands lasted very long, or lasted very long anyway as political (Jefferson Airplane, the Clash, JL's SomeTime in NY City, etc). And the Kinks were rarely if ever overtly political. But when RD reaches in to examine a character, or a type, he often puts them in a setting, a social-political context, that (since it's grounded in individual experience) rarely takes sides or dictates solutions. Yet it's anything but detached; in fact, it's practically prophetic.

If I were a neo-Marxist dialectical historian, I might name the chapters in my turgid 800-page opus after Kinks songs: Victoria; 20th Century Man; Catch Me Now I'm Falling; It (Not It).

Edited to add: Does anyone else hear a bit of Do You Believe in Magic here?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I love this song. It's hard to beat Colin's vocals, but Rod was an excellent singer. Check out the song "I Could Spend the Day", which I believe is also the Argent line up. A lost classic, and one of my favorites. I wish Argent continued in this style.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbcCUVRAL8

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"It"

I have never heard this song before today. I like the idea of "It", but I'm not sure I will be returning to "It" very often. I like the lyrics, and I welcome any return to the theatrical side of The Kinks. "It" seems to be meant for the live show with the visual aspect. I'm not so sure "It" works well on the live album, but "It" is what "It" is.

Sorry. I couldn't resist "It". @Fortuleo made me do "It".

10. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

It (the song) is an oddball…and in true Kinks fashion, it baffles as much as anything else. In that it’s intent was to serve as a stage piece, it’s just like the Kinks to release it to the world at large as an album track sans the necessary visuals. It’s an audible experience of secondary purpose.

In that regard, it probably bears equating to something like the soundtrack instrumentals the Kinks performed for Percy; those, too, exist to be experienced with accompanying visuals. Removed from that it’s a bit like reading about John Singer Sargent’s “Portrait of Madame X” rather than actually seeing the painting.

“It” (the song) is best understood as Fortuleo characterizes it: less a song and more a number. Yeah…the throwback to RCA-era theatrics and Prog assimilations are noted. All these years later I’m still not sure whether I like or dislike this. But, IMV, it does elevate The Road (Album) as a whole by not being yet another well-worn stage rendition of a recent LP track, but, rather…well…just being something out of the ordinary.

I mean, how about that? The Kinks experiment with rock ballet. Why the hell not? Blues Covers, Top-40; Baroque Pop; Concept Albums; Americana; Music Hall; Stage Plays; Arena Rock; film soundtracks. To me, it fits the mold of the Kinks as purveyors of variety

Does it work? I’ll put it this way: to use basketball parlance, for much of the 80’s it felt like the Kinks were content to not surprise us and just go for the easy lay ups. How exciting it was when they tried the occasional three-pointer. Whether they miss or score doesn’t change the fact that there was heightened excitement that comes with the long shot. I’m glad they tried stuff like “Natural Gift,” “It” and “New World.” These tracks wound up being among some of their least loved recordings, but they at least show that The Kinks—trodding towards the end of their existence—are still exploring different roads.

11. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Destroyer
    Sounding pretty good to my ears. Even the over reliance on the keyboard in the mix can be overlooked as I can picture myself in the audience getting down to this. Just will always be a wondrous song to me...a lot of it due to the memories it stirs up.

Apeman
    Love their Caribbean-sounding version of Apeman with the keyboards. Great fun! Too bad it's shortened. Damn.

Coming Dancing
    this is a nice enough version of the song. The rave-up at the end is a good little surprise. But if I had to go to the bathroom, this may have been the song when I ducked out.

Art Lover
    So if there was a long line to the ladies' bathroom, then I might have missed this song. It would not have been the end of the world. this is a serviceable version. If I don't pay attention to the lyrics, it's a song that goes merrily along while you sway or tap your foot to it. It's fine, but just not my favorite Kinks song. I have about 100 other songs I would rather hear at this point in the show.

12. mark winstanley

All across the forum, it is interesting that so many folks do bathroom breaks during concerts....
    Movies, Concerts, long drives, I dehydrate myself so there is no chance of needing to interrupt the task at hand.... but as we have established, I'm a little odd I guess lol

13. Michael Streett

Ha Ha. This is exactly what I do. I can drink beer at home.

14. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Just as long as you don't do it too often (kidney problems).

15. mark winstanley

Concerts these days, I'm lucky if I can afford two a year lol

It's only a few hours, and I think my kid's are used to me...
    The ten hour drive to Destin, which is coming up in 7 weeks :)... cue Pointer Sisters.... I have a coffee when I wake up, get a drink at first toilet stop....
    I'm a well oiled machine lol... well a bit creaky these days, but.... well.... anyhow :)

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The only time I can recall needing a bathroom break was when I went to see the Marshall Tucker Band in Indianapolis and Sanford Townsend Band opened for them. And it was so unusual for me that I can recall it all these years later (it was in ‘78! Ha!).

All the concerts that I’ve been to in Tokyo have been single-billed…and, yeah, my bladder is just fine.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I have rest area mileage markers memorized!

18. mark winstanley

There's some shady gas stations on the way...
    "No sorry, I don't have any crack. I'm capable of doing this on my own so f off" lol

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I sure get Watts you say!

20. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Whoa! somebody just uploaded video of the missing songs from One for the Road dvd! Converted from a vhs.

Sleepwalker
    Life on the Road
    Where Have All the Good Times Gone
    Misfits
    A Gallon of Gas
    Twist and Shout
    Live Life

I know WHATGTG and Misfits made the album, but don’t recall hearing most of these before, were they lost?

21. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

It (I Want It)
    It's a performance piece, which no doubt worked well in the concert with Pat dancing around with a mop. It is one I can cope without as a song to be honest, but as always, I'm glad we've got it. It would be replaced as later Pat and partner would dance to Aggravation/New World and Welcome To Sleazy Town.

Nevertheless, It is an interesting experiment.

22. mark winstanley

I wish they would release a whole restored concert, warts and all... they're on fire

Wondergirl, markelis, ajsmith and 7 others like this.
  23. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I couldn't miss any part of a concert. Going to the bar, and hence a toilet break would be sacrilege!

24. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Cliches of the World
    Even though we reviewed this song before, I still don't know this song too well. I don't think it hit me as a fantastic then and it's no worse in this setting. Kind of has a Bowie feel to it.

"unimaginable pleasures". LOL
    And I see what people mean by the (snare) drum. Yeah, that's annoying.

Think Visual
    I like the chorus and the middle bit where it gets a bit crazy.

I'm at the point in the show where I think my mind would start to wander. If what we've heard so far is the actual order of a show...hmmm...it wouldn't be boring exactly, but I think there are far better songs to intersperse in here to make this show more dynamic.

Living on a Thin Line
    This is lackluster, isn't it? As Mark says, where's the punch? The first half lacks energy, but it does pick up on the 2nd half. The nice guitar flourishes that Dave delivers after "what are we supposed to do?" are buried. such a shame

Lost and Found
    There seems to be a lot of slower/mid-tempo songs at this show. I just wonder if I would have been that into this if I had been in the audience. Like they would have had me at Destroyer and then all these less energetic songs coming at me.
    BUT I do like this live version as I just really like this song. Ray's vocals are really good. The band is all together. It works for me.

25. Michael Streett

Not lost, just never released. The whole Sep '79 Providence show was filmed and recorded, and the VHS and later DVD that copied the VHS was from this show, but the songs you list above were edited from the video release. And as far as I know have never been officially released so who knows where this YouTube video came from.

The album itself has songs from multiple shows over the course of a year March '79 - March '80 with only 3 from Providence from the VHS making the album (Lola, Pressure, Catch Me Now I'm Falling) and 1 from the songs you list above (Misfits) from the songs that did not make the video release. Low Budget on the album is reportedly from this show, but we determined it was actually from a different show back when we covered the album as it is noticeably different. Where Have All The Good Times Gone was from the Lowell show March '79.

Take a look at Misfits in this video. This is longer than the album which we now know is edited - that's new. Who is the second uncredited keyboard player, a roadie? That's very new to me and that explains some of the multiple keyboards now.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022