The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

The Smithereens cover "Rosie"

2. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Senior Member

Great thought out post, I can see exactly what you mean by giving the deserving Rosie a wide stereo mix!
    N.b. Grenville's intro mentioned upthread.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Senior Member

In such a great mood with the threads current album port of call I just had to pull my US Mono copy out for a spin!

[​IMG]

5. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Spot on.

6. Williamson

Williamson Forum Resident

Had a listen to Face To Face this morning. As has been said it's the Ray Davies show from now on, the credits have him arranging everything as well as writing all the songs. Strange that Nicky Hopkins is only credited for harpsichord when his piano contributions are so fundamental to the sound.
    I think it's a big leap on from Kontroversy. The production gives everything a little more room to breathe and the band/producer throw different sounds and experiments in as we go along. Despite that, the mono mix is still a little uneven and thin at times. I would love to know what the dynamic was between Shel Talmy and Ray Davies at this point. Who was calling the shots and making the big decisions in the studio etc.

Despite being an excellent listen the album somehow underlines the point that The Kinks were a great singles band. Sunny Afternoon is the best thing on here. I also hear the same character in Most Exclusive Residence For Sale and House In The Country. But overall a great, fun listen.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'd have to disagree with that one lol

davenav, FJFP, Williamson and 3 others like this.
  8. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

Party Line
    This is good fun and feels quite of its time (well, the subject matter is certainly of its time!). I don't think that's a bad thing, as it would have been identifiable to people at the time - another everyday, working class topic that a lot of people could recognise from their own lives. Its also as interesting to me to listen to songs that reflect specific parts of life or popular culture from the time they were written, as well as those that have more universal themes or which can be sung by anyone at anytime and still make sense.

This is my reading of it too (otherwise why throw in the election line?).

Rosie
    I think I'll need to give this a few more listens as I'm not sure about it...! I'm not convinced bt the harpsichord alongside the bluesy style, but I feel it might be one of those that gets better with familiarly (and I hadn't heard it before).
    It's really interesting to read about how the song connects with your personal story, thanks for sharing that! (I can't really imagine what it must have been like to grow up so far from your extended family).
    I had wondered about your name as you have a very 'northern English' surname! :)

9. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

“Party Line” and “Rosie” - a great pair of tunes to open this album. For a third time, out of four lps, we get an opening track with Dave on vocals. It’s fun and a bit comical, but then we get the sad lament of “Rosie” to follow, and you know that this record is not going to be a lightweight affair from start to finish.

I confess to having no prior knowledge of Ray’s concept for this album before this thread. However it must have been an extension of his examination of social class. And this obsession will continue as we’re going to see. By 1966, Ray’s characters have become more nuanced and Ray seems more interested in painting a scene from life than merely drawing a caricature. At least most of the time.

10. mark winstanley

It was that way for me

and the funny thing is, I can't really tell you, because without any way of comparing ... who knows really lol

The Turning Year likes this.
  11. Williamson

Just my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like the album :)

12. mark winstanley

That's cool. I wasn't trying to be provative.

There are several bands I love that are frequently considered singles bands, and I just scratch my head because I love their albums.... two of the Kinks children come into that category I think.... Madness and Blur

Vagabone likes this.
  13. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I don't think this party line is political at all.

When the Stones write a song called 'Connection' they come up with rhymes like 'injection' and 'infection'.

When Ray looks for a rhyme for 'connection' he comes up with 'interception 'and 'election'.

Sure it shows Ray is perhaps more politically orientated than Jagger/Richard, but it certainly doesn't mean that the people on this particualr party line are in any way supporting the same party.

14. Williamson

I know :)
    I think with The Kinks it's because the '60s singles are just so damned good, it's really hard to think of them in any other way. It's also how a lot of us were introduced to the band. Compilations of singles. The albums came later and weren't as easy to get hold of. I know they have lots of great songs that weren't singles, but they pretty much mastered the art of the 45. In fact I don't think there's been a better singles band from the UK. That's all I meant. I still love the albums I have by them.

15. mark winstanley

I can certainly see that angle.

I have never bought a single in my life lol

In fact I have been going through the Village Green box this morning, and after listening to the three records I put cd1 on, and shuffled through the bits and pieces, and noticed the three singles, and chuckled softly to myself :)

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I think the record company considered them a singles band too. In fact PYE wanted to rush out as many singles as possible before 'the bubble burst'. And, if true that PYE baulked at Ray's proposed sound effects between the tracks on this album then wouldn't that underline that theory.

Maybe Ray was quite happy to be a singles band to please managers/record company in the full knowledge that, if he made enough successful singles, he would eventuality get free reign with albums?

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, I would too. Kinks singles are sometimes far from the cream of the crop. IMO there are many outstanding album tracks far better, and in some cases more commercial, than what they released as singles. Not to mention, many of the b-sides are kinda weak. If you only have their singles, you're missing 95% of the story. Singles bands are usually seen as those whose albums are mostly filler and there's no way anybody could accuse the Kinks of that. They're not like the Association or the Turtles.

18. Slowdazzle

Slowdazzle Well-Known Member

I love Party Line and Rosie - what a great way to start off one of the Kinks finest albums.

pablo fanques, Zeki, Fortuleo and 3 others like this.
  19. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Oh What A Day It's Going To Be / Mo & Steve (October, 1966)

:kilroy: Well, I suppose now is as good a time as any to bring up the final, and most unusual Ray Davies give-away song.

Holy moly! Had he ever concocted anything this overtly romantic before? Or since? Musically, it's certainly as, or more sophisticated than anything on "Face To Face," but if it had actually made it on to the LP, boy would it have stood out from the other tracks! It would've been the album's equivalent of "Here There And Everywhere." The one element that hints at the fact that this is a Ray Davies composition is that terrible non-rhyme in the 3rd verse (Few/Doing) which most other lyricists of the period would never have stood for. Since it's also on the PYE label, I suspect that some bigwig there commissioned him to compose something for the specific purpose of launching the career of their latest signing.

This song contains a lot of long notes that work well with the smooth vibrato that the singers have. It's the kind of vibrato that Ray wouldn't really begin to use abundantly until the RCA years. Like "Sunny Afternoon" and "Dead End Street," it contains a rich mixture of both major and minor chords, and would probably also work well at a brisker tempo.

While there's nothing in the Kinks catalog that even remotely resembles it, strangely, The Hollies' then current album (For Certain Because) includes a song that has a somewhat similar feel (Crusader).

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nice!

21. mark winstanley

I've always enjoyed the descending or melodic bass line idea over the steady chord.

Probably the dead give away that it is a Ray song, is the contrast of joy and sorrow. The sorrowful melody and music, with the fairly joyful words in this instance

croquetlawns and Adam9 like this.
  22. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I was just listening to Face to Face from the CD Pye Album Collection that was randomly selected from my JOINER album collection.

So I took the CD and played it on my CD player and I would have to say, it is a nice listening experience since the last time I played it.

Now I might have to go down the rabbit hole again and listen to every pressing I have. I especially want to compare it to the Reprise stereo.

Jon H. and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Listen to Me is good trashy fun. It's no "Don't Ever Let Me Go" but I'm still glad it exists.

"She's My Girl" is a Dave Davies tune with a very catchy melody. It has a fantastic vocal that sounds a bit like prime early 70's David Bowie. I'm kind of amazed it wasn't released.

Lyrics for "She's My Girl"

"She's My Girl"
    Never thought that this would happen to you and me[?]
    Guess I'll just have to see it through

Every single dress you wear
    Never really fits around
    A little child with bright brown hair[?]
    She always laughs and never really cares

She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl, and I'll meet her all the way

[?] in line she spends her time
    A colorful but simple mind
    She gets her kicks when [?]
    But baby when you ball about it worries me

She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl

I never thought that this would happen to you
    Guess I'll just have to see it through

She crawls around the floor each night
    Staggering but keeping quiet
    I've got to have her while I can
    [?]

She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl

She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl
    She's My Girl

Zeki, bvb1123 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Interesting song, the little bit at :24 sounds like a piece of the chorus melody of Mr Pleasant to me.

25. Fred1

Fred1 Forum Resident

Love it. Beautifully executed. :)

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.