The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

There were 10 (one was a bonus disc called Hinges). I also have this box set, which I got at my local FYE at a ridiculous price.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

An after Xmas Bug, is it not a Christmas Beetle?
    :doh:

3. All Down The Line

So if in fact the Kinks have never announced their break up or retirement at some stage over the last 25 years iam thinking for them it is just par for the course.
    Do recall that Mick Avory belatedly discovered he hadn't passed the original audition when he was given a memo that affect 20 years later!

Fortuleo, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  4. All Down The Line

Dear Pablo best of luck and sending good wishes your way for a full recovery.

Geoff738, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 9 others like this.
  5. All Down The Line

Let Me Be

Musically reasonably interesting but the lyric i find very naive and in some ways akin to what a very much younger man would write.
    That said i admire the sentiment and would have preferred the vocal up in the mix and the lead guitar brought down which is perhaps surprising for me to say coming from a guitarist.

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Re: 21st Century

Yeah, let's do it this way. We need your astute and discerning lyrical analysis here which is not my wheelhouse.

7. All Down The Line

You could always drum something up!

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Ba-dum-chsh

9. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

:laugh: Ha Ha - Keep up the ad libs yourselves. You guys are on a double stroke roll here!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    markelis, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  10. All Down The Line

Your ending's cymbalic!

11. All Down The Line

I hope not we'll both need an ambulance!

12. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I like Dave's songs currently up for discussion. But I'll return to them tomorrow because today is Psychedelic Psunday (TM)

I'm prompted to go off the reservation by the clip posted a couple of days ago by @palisantrancho which I really enjoyed and got me digging deep into my music collection.

"Mazy"- The Peep Show

The frustrating thing for me is that Mazy is not to be found in my hundreds of English psychedelia and freakbeat songs - which goes to show that no matter how much stuff you have, it's never enough i.e. the Anti-Kondo Method (TM) . Here for the record are the CDs and records I trawled, comprising 414 songs over 15 CDs and 5 LPs . I estimate no more than 10% are duplicates, which makes for a lot of weird and/or wonderful songs.

Acid Drops, Spacedust & Flying Saucers (MOJO, 4CD Box, 2001) 72 songs
    Kinks sighting: See My Friends
    Favourite Song title: Granny Takes a Trip – The Purple Gang (curiously, Granny didn’t take public transport)

Nuggets II (Rhino, 4CD Box, 2001) 109 songs
    [note: this set of non-US artists complemented a Nuggets 4cd Box, which in turn built on the original Nuggets album of American psychedelia curated by Lenny Kaye]
    Favourite Song title: Daddy Buy Me a Girl – Golden Earrings (an "anti-love song" song from the Radar Love band)

Psych Out (MOJO, 2006, 1CD) and Acid Daze (UNCUT, 2003, 1CD) 33 songs
    Favourite Song title: A Day At the Cottage – Gordon Jackson (I don't think it was spent gardening. The A-side of this single was called Me Am My Zoo)

The Rubble Collection (Pilot, 5LP Box, 2012) 78 songs
    Favourite Song title: Father’s Name Was Dad – Fire (Paul McCartney liked this but it didn't sell)

Think I’m Going Weird (Grapefruit, 5CD Box, 2021) 122 songs
    Kinks sighting: Lazy Old Sun *(alternative version)
    Favourite Song title: Have Some More Tea – The Smoke (but not tea as The Kinks know it)

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I also have this set (XTC must be a Kinks thing, or vice versa). I think Hinges is the bonus 9th CD. There is, however, a bootleg 10th CD called Extras (the unreleased Fuzzy Warbles demos). The demos you need when 9 albums of demos isn't enough!

markelis, Fortuleo, StefanWq and 6 others like this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Re: Peep Show, I’ve always been blown away by how this track sounds like The Smiths 15 years early:

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I always thought there were 12 fuzzy warbles :nyah::nyah:

16. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

A big Amen to that!

I agree @pablo fanques - music gets me through so much.

This verse from Wilco sums it up for me:

Music is my savior, and I was maimed by rock and roll.
    I was maimed by rock and roll.
    I was tamed by rock and roll.
    I got my name from rock and roll.

markelis, Brian x, Steve62 and 7 others like this.
  17. All Down The Line

Joining in on Psych Psunday with some 1967 Freakbeat, Sharon Tandy with Hold On.

18. All Down The Line

Even better, from late 1966 here is the Yardbirds with Happenings Ten Years Time Ago featuring Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page.

N.b. They were supporting the Kinks in 1965 and witnessed the Dave v Mick onstage cymbal pedal assault.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As it’s Freeform Sunday (not that the day of the week has deterred me from straying off the straight and narrow!) I will make my obligatory comment re: The yardbirds.

I remember being all excited when I heard the radio DJ list off the albums to be played on the show, one of which was The Yardbirds. I didn’t catch the album title but, after the fact, think it must have been a best-of compilation. Time frame? Probably 1974-ish (thinking back on when I was listening to FM Jukebox on a regular basis.)

By then, I was a hardened John Mayall, Clapton, Cream, Zeppelin and BBA fan (well, maybe not hardened when it came to BBA but I knew who they were)…so now I finally had the chance to hear the renowned Yardbirds.

And? Underwhelmed to say the least. ‘For Your Love’? This is what critics are fawning over? So, I put them as the original, for me, after-the-fact hyped bands that dashed expectations.

Note: the above after-the-fact applies to me. I don’t have any idea whether they were being celebrated in real-time or not.

Further note: to spin this positively, I did enjoy the Sharon Tandy sonic assault!

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I thought it was 9 plus the bonus Hinges disc?

21. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I have the official collectors box set, which has the eight officially released volumes plus the bonus "Hinges" disc. There is apparently a 10th bootleg disc that I've never heard of before!

22. croquetlawns

Ah, ok! I’ve just moved to the UK (hence my recent silence) and I left the set in storage, so I have mis-remembered!

Rockford & Roll, ARL, Steve62 and 4 others like this.
  23. DISKOJOE

I also dig the title, which is Morrissey’s first name. I have that on a Grapefruit compilation called Let’s Go Down and Blow Or Minds: The Psychedelic Sounds of 1967.

24. DISKOJOE

I also mis remembered despite the fact that I had the box set within reach! Math was never my strong suit :laugh:

25. croquetlawns

9 discs, 10 discs - either way it’s a lot of demos!