The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Stand Up Comic

It’s a bit odd. I’ve known this song for over 15 years, and I knew it was the most vaudeville/throwback in style, but it was never my favorites. Actually this may be one of my least favorite of the album. But I still like it. Maybe I didn’t know exactly how vaudeville/theatrical it was, because I didn’t know much about the RCA years back then. I remembered the fast paced verses that reminded me of All of My Friends Were There, and then the rocking chorus where he tells the white boys to “Stand up, stand up” :D. Ohhh, wiiide!

It’s kinda funny when Ray says you’ve seen him on television, and then laments that you’ve watched too much television. That line does give off some “old man yells at cloud” vibes.

I had thought he was saying “f@$king lunatic”, but pronounced like “lunatique” to rhyme with week. Ray’s delivery of “style, I mean” and “manners, I mean” is just wonderful and I can’t think of anyone else who could pull something like this off.

An interesting part about being at the pub afterwards. The showman no longer on stage. Just having a pint after the show. He’s just like one of us.

A related story. Back in college, I was involved in the committee to bring some entertainment to our small campus. We hired Stevie Starr, aka the Regurgitator. Yes, that is what it sounds like. He can swallow things whole and bring them back up — bone dry. Now talk about lowest common denominator. Here he is on Britains Got Talent in 2010. Watch if you dare. He absolutely did all of those things in our campus’s auditorium. Anyway, after the show, all of us on the committee decided to walk down the street to the diner (If you’ve never been to a New Jersey diner, you have missed out, my friends. Nothing quite like a burger or an omelette with cheese fries at 11pm.). Stevie overheard us and asks if he can come too. Sure, absolutely. So we went to the diner with Stevie Starr, the Regurgitator. He ate a burger, yet still I guess he couldn’t help himself from showing off his skills a few times. He swallowed and regurgitated a salt shaker, as well as my friends mobile flip-phone. It rang in his stomach. But between his skills, he was just hanging out like a normal person. And that’s that.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ha ha, very funny diner story.

re: vaudeville. The closest I can think of is Neil Young & The Promise of the Real ‘Carnival’:

3. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Stand Up Comic

Some comic relief, with a point to make, from Mr. Davies. While the song is about the coarsening of the culture, specifically in the UK, the idea behind it is pretty universal. It fits in with Ray’s career-long nostalgia for the past, where little shops, china cups and virginity are to be protected. There’s always been a tendency to look back and imagine the good old days of the past, though that’s probably a myth to my way of thinking - not that I don’t sometimes think things were better when they were simpler years ago, or miss the days when you could spend an hour browsing through the cds at Tower Records, or when there was slower pace of life. It does seem like manners have gone downhill, but
    when I was in the sixth grade our teacher read something out loud to the class an opinion piece complaining about the youth of the day being rude and having no manners - it turned out it was written in some year BC. I’ve also heard that during Shakespeare’s era, people would eat, and boo and cheer, and even throw things at the stage.

Anyway the songs a lot of fun, and would certainly be entertaining with audience participation. As usual I love Ray’s sing-acting. The drums are an integral part of this track, driving it along. It’s got a nice jazzy swinging London feel to parts of the song. I’m not sure I’d seek it out as a separate song to listen to, but I love it in the context of the album. It sure wakes you up if your attention was starting to flag.

4. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

@Brian x I thought your whole write up was great, but the part below had me laugh out loud. I took one semester of German in college, and it made me remember the German propensity for inventing long compound words - something that I always found to be amusing.

5. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

“Other People’s Lives” – I don’t pick up much of the Spanish flamenco dancer subplot Ray talks about in the liner notes, and his “IT”S NOT ABOUT ME” attempted deflection is not very convincing, but his lyrics are very on target. I suppose there has been innuendo published about celebrities for nearly forever, but the internet and now social media make it so easy to spread malicious gossip and literally dangerous lies in a way that Confidential magazine could only dream of in the 50s. Musically, it’s yet another in the variety of musical flavors in OPL, which I always appreciate. Yet, while it's a good song, for some reason Latin-flavored songs in minor keys – only in minor keys - have limited appeal to me (Santana’s “Smooth” also comes to mind). I fully acknowledge this is my problem, not his!

“Stand Up Comic” – Again, Ray is on target, this time about vulgarity in modern culture. To hear Sir Raymond Douglas Davies from the village green use “fart” in a song is not as shocking as hearing him sing about a piece of the President’s brain, but it still caused me to take notice, as it was likely intended. “The comic says 'bollocks' and everyone laughs” reminds me of the 2006 Mike Judge film Idiocracy, set in 2505, when everything is so dumbed down the big TV hit is “Ow! My Balls!” (increasingly, the film resembles a current-day documentary). Despite the reading-the-line-off-the-page melody (or is he rapping, to comment on the sad decline of melody in popular music?), I quite like the groove on this. A keeper.

EDIT: On second thought, I hear the talk-singing as stand up patter.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I wonder what Ray thought of my dad’s friend Lenny Bruce.

@Smiler it is remarkable how quickly Idiocracy turned into a contemporary documentary! Mike Judge set his film years in the future.

7. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

8. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Stand Up Comics

This album is so full of gems, it is astounding. Another shift in style and energy, yet all the songs work together very well as a very cohesive unit. I like that Ray really gets into the character of the stand up comic here. It's a quite theatrical and conversational song, like a full show by the stand up comic summed up in just a few minutes.
    I can imagine this track fitting in well on the "Give The People What They Want" if done by the 1981 Kinks (though it would probably rock harder there and have no saxophone). It could also have fit in well on Ray's Storyteller show, if done acoustically by him and Pete Mathison. Above all, though, it fits superbly on "Other People's Lives" following directly after the title track, both musically and lyrically.
    The sax player adds a lot of night club feel to the song, enhancing the already vivid and colourful track. (By the way, I see that a Martin Davies is credited on this track, is this Dave's son or a namesake?)

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Over My Head.

stereo mix (5:58), recorded 9 Apr, 2002 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Wakin' up, feeling rough
    Totally stressed
    Every day is a day at a time
    Step by step
    Hit a wall, took a fall
    To a new depth
    Count to ten, focus then
    Take a deep breath

In a world that is close to breakin'
    I thought that you were my friend
    In a world that is full of hatin'
    And about to descend
    I just smile and pretend

I'm a million miles away from it all
    And let it go right over my head
    Let 'em chase and the winner take all
    Over my head, yeah
    Over my head
    Over my head

Everywhere, everyone
    Questioning me
    Are you ill? Are you well?
    Do you like being free?

Didn't know you were close to breaking
    So you thought it should end
    Left it all for a new location
    So you could start up again
    So keep keep smilin' till then

Right now I want some peace of mind
    So let it go right over my head
    Just want to give myself a little more time
    And every single word that you said
    Went over my head, yeah
    Over my head
    Over my head

Little girl I was so mistaken
    Thought that you were my friend
    In a world that is full of hatin'
    I'm about to descend
    Didn't know you were close to breakin'
    So keep smilin' till then

Right now I want some peace of mind
    So let it go right over my head
    Just want to give myself a little more time
    And every single word that you said
    Went over my head, yeah
    Over my head
    Over my head

Close the door, let me please
    Get to my bed
    I wanna take stock, see my life
    In perspective
    Tomorrow I'll be back in the race, till then
    Live and let live
    So let all the anger pass me by
    Over my head
    Over my head
    Over my head

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music, Ltd.

The opening of this track is wonderful, but don't allow it to detract from how cool this song is....
    I say that, because it starts off with this beautiful guitar layering that sounds like we are going to hit something like a sixties Klassic era Kinks track, and then a drum fill takes us into a nice sort of funky little groove.
    We have lots of nice musical little treats in here, and I think Ray links them together beautifully...
    I actually think outside the instrumentation to some degree Ray writes a really good track that is somewhat alongside the contemporary music of the day... as much as Ray ever actually was alongside the contemporary music of the day....

The interesting thing to me just having read the first verse...
    This album appears to be bookended by two songs about addiction/recovery....
    The opening track is directly addressing the issue of the addiction in terms of the in time aftermath, and the wrestle to "change his ways"... the majority came to the conclusion that it seems unlikely that our subject in the first song did.... but the result isn't the point in that song. The turmoil and disorientation, and a deep knowing that things need to change was the point, and the result isn't the focus of the song....
    The first step in overcoming anything, is knowing that you need to. The first step in fixing a problem is recognising it exists... In our first song he realises it exists.
    I have dealt with several addicts in my life, and knowing they have an issue is the most important step... the recovery is different for everyone, and manifests in different ways, generally involving falling back in the gutter a few times ...

But is that where we're really going here....

Waking Up, feeling rough, totally stressed...
    Not only alcohol or drugs leaves us waking up feeling rough, stress in itself can do that.. but with some of the other themes of the album, it remains a possibility.

Every day is a day at a time, step by step....
    The AA and NA meditations
    - One Day At A Time
    - Follow The Steps
    Throw in the serenity prayer and you're just about there...
    No I have never been to AA or NA lol
    I have been to Nar-anon .. essentially a support group for people dealing with addicts, and it was interesting, but I'm not really a support group kind of guy.

Hit a wall, took a fall, to a new depth
    That sounds like a relapse situation to me.
    Relapses are almost expected, and unfortunately frequently can have severe results.

In a world that is so close to breaking, I thought you were my friend...
    The way this is set up, it could be the wall.
    The world is an ugly place, and I'd say everybody needs somebody to lean on. It doesn't have to be a life partner, or a lover, but someone who'll be there for us... We've all got them, but when we're in our depths we sometimes don't see them.... or can't recognise them....
    Of course the other possibility, if this is related to addiction, is that Ray could be using the idea that the friend is actually the drug. the only one that could be relied on? in the mind of the addict at least

When he references a world so close to breaking, it is altogether possible he is talking about his personal world, and not necessarily the world at large.

In a world that is full of hatin' and about to descend, I just smile and pretend
    I'm pretty sure here the world reference is in regards the wider world, and the about to descend could be either the wider world or our singer.... Like most folks, he just smiles and pretends everything is ok... Robin Williams ... the tears of a clown, when there's no-one else around...

I'm a million miles away from it all...
    Everything breezes past me like overhead planes.... I'm vaguely aware of them, but they can't get close enough to get my attention.
    Other folks can chase the dream, and be the winners and losers
    I'm just letting it all go over my head, like concords in the night.

Whatever this scenario actually is, people are asking him if he is ok,
    "Are you ill? Are you well?
    Do you like being free?"

"Didn't know you were close to breaking
    So keep keep smilin' till then"
    So has Ray avoided a concept album, but bookended the album with a before and after song.
    Is this the same guy in the first song, and now he is reflecting on his lost love, while he still wrestles with things actually changing.... Did the folks that say he failed to change get it right?
    It sort of seems so from the way this is laid out.

"Right now I want some peace of mind
    So let it go right over my head"
    This almost seems like he has resigned himself to numbing himself in the light of his loss, rather than changing in order to try and regain his life.

He just wants to give himself a little more time ... he isn't ready to get clean and sober?
    Every word she said was "blah blah blah" his mind was switched off, and it went right over his head.

This next line now seems to be the victim mentality.
    I thought you were my friend, but you deserted me. It seems like it is working with the idea that frequently the addict will blame those around them for not supporting them. At some point, most people end up being enablers to the addicts they know... not that they mean to be, but they don't understand the problem, and so don't realise the solution.... but when you do what you need to, the addict feels you have betrayed them...
    This leaves the addict somewhat wallowing in self loathing and self pity, and frequently will lead to descending deeper into it...
    In a world that's full of hatin', could be interpreted in many ways...
    He's about to descend into that world ...
    It could be the world of drug buddies, dealers and scores.
    It could be the world of self pity and denial
    It could just be that the world is a hard place to live, and he sees it as hateful... but either way he is falling down... descending

He didn't know that she was so close to breaking, and he regrets that this happened, and he hopes she is well "keep smilin'"
    Then this bittersweet idea rolls around into the chorus and he is back into being a million miles away, still needs a little more time ... and the Over My Head refrain seems to indicate falling back into his high?

The last verse seems like the night before, or the next night. If we are in context tied to the first track...
    Close the door, just leave, I'm off in whooptyland and just need to get to my bed
    "I wanna take stock, see my life
    In perspective
    Tomorrow I'll be back in the race, till then
    Live and let live"
    It seems like an empty rationalisation...
    I want to have a really good look at my life ... the same refrain from the first song... " Things Are Gonna Change"... no they aren't
    Tomorrow I'll be back in the race? No you won't.
    "When reality bites
    The morality kicks in
    You feel ****e, the air bites
    Get up you wreck, and crawl out through the door
    get up from the floor
    To do it all again"

"So let all the anger pass me by"
    Anger at himself for getting stuck in this perpetual motion machine?
    Anger at his partner for not putting up with this dead end scenario?
    Anger that has no real focus, but, and perhaps because, he is/will just numb himself again and another day passes, and life fritters away....

Just let it all float over my head.... I'm not really here. This body is a vacant lot....

I don't know, maybe I have completely misread this, but getting a feel for the music, and looking through the words presented, that seems like the scenario to me.

To some degree I hear the Over My Head as somewhat describing this guy as drowning in his own reality.

Musically this track takes us on a journey.
    As I say the opening has a sort of hint of the sixties, perhaps a touch of psychedelia to some degree, with the layered guitars creating an excellent atmosphere.

With the drum fill we roll into this tight groove, and the bass gives it a slight touch of funk.
    Ray's vocal comes in, and here the feel is sort of matter of fact, stripped back, like the music.

When we roll into the first change, which I assume we would call a bridge (it is so frequently difficult to tell with Ray, because he threads his songs together, rather than following outside formulas... to my ear at least) and it comes ringing in, and the layers are quite deep, without being overbearing, for me at least.
    The change comes in like a gust of wind or something. It is a definite textural and feel change.
    Then we move into what I assume is a pre-chorus, and it is a beautifully smooth change.....

What I think is happening here is that we start out in the relative minor in the verse.
    Then the bridge moves into the major key.
    Then the pre-chorus resolves to the root of the major key...
    I'm not techo enough to explain it well...
    I think we are rolling like this

Verse - VIm - V - IIm - VIm
    Bridge - V - IV - I - V
    Pre-chorus - I - IV - V

Then we go from the I to the VIm that takes us into what I essentially assume is the chorus ie "Over My Head".... which is the same pattern as the verse.
    It is really interesting, and the way it's done makes it sound like key changes in some spots, but very smooth key changes, but I think technically they would be mode changes... Anyway I'm sure a couple of the folks here can tidy that up, but I just think the way this is written really adds to the musicality of the song, rather than it just being narrative driven.... and to some degree the way it is written adds to the sort of schizophrenic nature of the character.
    The rollercoaster of emotions that revolve around the effect of the world on him that lead him back to his addiction.
    Melancholy (verse), followed by the layers of life impacting (bridge), and then the smooth resolve to the rush of the drug (pre-chorus), and then the floating high (chorus/over my head).

I know it's not Dave, but we get a nice lead, that is effective without being a highlight,

To some degree it seems like the girl who has left is an incidental detail.
    The focus is on the guy's cyclical problem. The music perfectly backs up this cyclical problem, by having the not quite consistent rotation of musical feels, somewhat reflecting the somewhat not quite consistent rotation of this guy's day to day cycle.

I'd also say that the song backs this all up too, by having the guy waking up in a bad way.
    Then we go through the drama of the day leading to getting out of his head, so things will go over his head.
    Then we close out with him almost rushing to get back into his bed at the end...
    It is almost a sort of day in the life kind of representation, where the lyrics in the music are in perfect harmony in the continuous cycle of this guy's day..... which again reflects the opening track where this cyclical degeneration is hinted at, and here it is documented....

Ok, wow, that was a mouthful, and a struggle... Someone else could probably sum it up in two sentences lol..

This song is still pretty new to me, as is the whole album, but this is pretty close to, if not a mini, latter day, masterpiece

10. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Starstruck promo video/ Days video/ Sunny Afternoon TOTP
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970
    The Long Distance Piano Player
    Nov 1970 - Jun 1976
    Feb 1977 - Dec 1983
    The Kinks Punk Christmas
    Artificial Light or. mix
    Life Goes On OGWT
    Morphing docu of Hotelroom sessions + interview Ray + live KinKs in Vienna 1978.
    One For The Road - the lost videos
    1981 A Woman In Love (chorus girls)
    Oh Tokyo live in 1982 - lyrics
    Jan 1984 - Dec 1993
    1994 - 2006.
    Quaife Holland 2004
    Kompilations 2005
    Americana (Hey Big Fat Cowboy) - live Jane Street
    Otis Riffs

The Gap - pt2 - Yo La Tengo - Jane Street
    Feb 2006 Ray Davies - Other People's Lives - album
    Things Are Gonna Change (the Morning After) - Alt
    After The Fall
    Next Door Neighbour
    All She Wrote
    Creatures Of Little Faith
    Run Away From Time
    The Tourist - ac live - ACL
    Is There Life After Breakfast
    The Getaway (Lonesome Train)
    Other People's Lives
    Stand Up Comic
    Over My Head

Austin City Linits
    After The Fall

Next Door Neighbour
    Run Away From Time

Sold On Song - live

Mar 2006 Dave Davies - Kinked
    God In My Brain

2006 Ray gets top honour at BMI awards

2006 Dave - Too Much On My Mind

2010 Come Dancing play

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)
    Shadows (73)
    Web Of Time (75)
    Mr Moon (75) - Why
    Islands (78)
    Give You All My Love (78)
    Within Each Day (78)
    Same Old Blues (78)
    This Precious Time (78)

2019 Kast Off Kinks with Ray

2022 Muswell/ Showbiz box
    2022 Celluloid Heroes
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    Travelling Montage
    Travelling With My Band - I'm Going Home - You Can't Stop The Music
    2022 remixes pt 1 - part 2 - part 3

2022 Dave - Something Else - Josh Meyers Podcast

2022 Dave Davies - 21st Century

Creem articles - Mar 70
    - Mar 71
    - Feb 72
    - Nov 72
    - Aug 73
    - Apr 74
    - Jul 74
    - Aug 75
    - Feb 76
    - Aug 77
    - Apr 78
    - Aug 78
    - Oct 78
    - Jan 81
    - May 85
    - Apr 85
    - Apr 87
    - May 87
    - Jun 87
    - Jun 88

Rare Silent Video

Dave Interview 2022? newspaper

Rob Kopp has made his 1999 Kinks discography 'Down All The days Till 1992'

US Chart Stats
    The Music Industry Machine

Album flow chart

Album poll graph

Mick Avory - Shut Up Frank -Lola - We Gotta Get Outta This Place
    Pete Quaife - interview - Kast Off Kinks - I Could See It In Your Eyes - Dead End Street
    Rasa Didzpetris Davies
    John Dalton
    John Gosling
    Jim Rodford
    Ian Gibbons
    Andy Pyle
    Gordon Edwards
    Clive Davis
    Bob Henrit

Mark Haley - info
    Jakko Jaksyk

11. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"Over My Head"
    Upthread @Fortuleo posted a list of Kinks-influenced music including Beck. The beginning of this song before the vocal begins sounds to me like it would fit on Beck's Odelay album (kind of reminds me of "Jackass").
    I really enjoyed this song - a great Ray ballad. It shares its title with a Fleetwood Mac single (RIP Christine McVie - or Christine Perfect before she married) but it presents the meaning of the title phrase in a slightly different way. McVie is so in love she is over her head but Ray could not comprehend the words the woman who left said so they went over his head.
    The song is pretty masterfully written (and sung). There is nothing revolutionary here - verse, chorus, bridge - but Ray just writes with such an understanding of song lyrics. Plus I really enjoyed the sound of this recording. Pretty above my usual expectations for performers closely associated with a band doing something solo.

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Having been Kast off no but (with Ray) it could now have been Kalled a Kast Of Kinks!

13. mark winstanley

Kompilations 2005.

[​IMG]

20th Century Man
    No More Looking Back
    Rock And Roll Fantasy
    Do It Again
    Heart Of Gold
    Juke Box Music
    Living On A Thin Line
    Sweet Lady Genevieve
    Better Things
    Mirror Of Love
    Celluloid Heroes
    Everybody's A Star
    Superman
    All Day And All Of The Night (Live)

Classic Airwaves

[​IMG][​IMG]

You Really Got Me
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Waterloo Sunset
    Lola
    Celluloid Heroes
    No More Looking Back
    Life On The Road
    Sleepwalker
    Misfits
    Live Life
    Lost And Found

Additional Enhanced Bonus Material
    You Really Got Me
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Waterloo Sunset
    Lola
    Celluloid Heroes
    No More Looking Back
    Life On The Road
    Misfits
    Lost And Found

The Pye Album Collection.

[​IMG]

Kinks
    1-1 You Really Got Me 2:16
    1-2 Beautiful Delilah
    Written-By – Berry*
    Written-By – Berry*
    2:09
    1-3 So Mystifying 2:56
    1-4 Just Can't Go To Sleep 2:00
    1-5 Long Tall Shorty
    Written-By – Covay*, Abramson*
    Written-By – Covay*, Abramson*
    2:52
    1-6 I Took My Baby Home 1:50
    1-7 I'm A Lover Not A Fighter
    Written-By – Miller*
    Written-By – Miller*
    2:06
    1-8 Too Much Monkey Business
    Written-By – Berry*
    Written-By – Berry*
    2:17
    1-9 Cadillac
    Written-By – McDaniel*
    Written-By – McDaniel*
    2:46
    1-10 Bald Headed Woman
    Arranged By – Talmy*
    Written-By – Trad.*
    Arranged By – Talmy*
    Written-By – Trad.*
    2:44
    1-11 Revenge
    Written-By – Page*, Davies*
    Written-By – Page*, Davies*
    1:31
    1-12 I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain
    Written-By – Talmy*
    Written-By – Talmy*
    2:09
    1-13 Stop Your Sobbing 2:08
    1-14 Got Love If You Want It
    Written-By – Moore*
    Written-By – Moore*
    3:44
    Kinda Kinks
    2-1 Look For Me Baby 2:17
    2-2 Got My Feet On The Ground
    Written-By – Davies*, Davies*
    2:15
    2-3 Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl 2:45
    2-4 Naggin' Woman
    Written-By – West*, Anderson*
    Written-By – West*, Anderson*
    2:36
    2-5 Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight 2:01
    2-6 Tired Of Waiting For You 2:32
    2-7 Dancing In The Street
    Written-By – Gaye*, Stevenson, Hunter*
    Written-By – Gaye*, Stevenson, Hunter*
    2:21
    2-8 Don't Ever Change 2:26
    2-9 Come On Now 1:49
    2-10 So Long 2:11
    2-11 You Shouldn't Be Sad 2:03
    2-12 Something Better Beginning 2:24
    The Kink Kontroversy
    3-1 Milk Cow Blues
    Written-By – Estes*
    Written-By – Estes*
    3:45
    3-2 Ring The Bells 2:22
    3-3 Gotta Get The First Plane Home 1:50
    3-4 When I See That Girl Of Mine 2:13
    3-5 I Am Free 2:32
    3-6 Till The End Of The Day 2:22
    3-7 The World Keeps Going Round 2:37
    3-8 I'm On An Island 2:19
    3-9 Where Have All The Good Times Gone 2:53
    3-10 It's Too Late 2:37
    3-11 What's In Store For Me 2:07
    3-12 You Can't Win 2:38
    Face To Face
    4-1 Party Line 2:37
    4-2 Rosy Won't You Please Come Home 2:33
    4-3 Dandy 2:12
    4-4 Too Much On My Mind 2:29
    4-5 Session Man 2:12
    4-6 Rainy Day In June 3:16
    4-7 House In The Country 3:03
    4-8 Holiday In Waikiki 2:46
    4-9 Most Exclusive Residence For Sale 2:54
    4-10 Fancy 2:30
    4-11 Little Miss Queen Of Darkness 3:16
    4-12 You're Lookin' Fine 2:48
    4-13 Sunny Afternoon 3:37
    4-14 I'll Remember 2:25
    Something Else By The Kinks
    5-1 David Watts 2:41
    5-2 Death Of A Clown
    3:16
    5-3 Two Sisters 2:03
    5-4 No Return 2:03
    5-5 Harry Rag 2:19
    5-6 Tin Soldier Man 2:54
    5-7 Situation Vacant 2:43
    5-8 Love Me Till The Sun Shines 3:24
    5-9 Lazy Old Sun 2:49
    5-10 Afternoon Tea 3:25
    5-11 Funny Face 2:29
    5-12 End Of The Season 3:01
    5-13 Waterloo Sunset 3:17
    The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
    6-1 The Village Green Preservation Society 2:50
    6-2 Do You Remember Walter 2:28
    6-3 Picture Book 2:38
    6-4 Johnny Thunder 2:34
    6-5 Monica 2:16
    6-6 People Take Pictures Of Each Other 2:27
    6-7 Village Green 2:11
    6-8 Mr. Songbird 2:28
    6-9 Wicked Annabella 2:44
    6-10 Starstruck 2:22
    6-11 Phenomenal Cat 2:38
    6-12 Days 2:53
    Part One. Lola Vs Powerman And The Moneygoround
    7-1 The Contenders 2:42
    7-2 Strangers
    Written-By – Davies*
    Written-By – Davies*
    3:19
    7-3 Denmark Street 2:02
    7-4 Get Back In Line 3:04
    7-5 Lola 4:01
    7-6 Top Of The Pops 3:39
    7-7 The Moneygoround 1:46
    7-8 This Time Tomorrow 3:21
    7-9 A Long Way From Home 2:27
    7-10 Rats 2:40
    7-11 Apeman 3:52
    7-12 Powerman 4:18
    7-13 Got To Be Free 2:59
    "Percy"
    8-1 God's Children 3:19
    8-2 Lola (Instrumental) 4:46
    8-3 The Day Love Used To Be 2:14
    8-4 Completely 3:42
    8-5 Running Round Town 1:06
    8-6 Moments 2:59
    8-7 Animals In The Zoo 2:23
    8-8 Just Friends 2:37
    8-9 Whip Lady 1:22
    8-10 Dreams 3:45
    8-11 Helga 1:55
    8-12 Willesden Green 2:28
    8-13 God's Children - End 0:27
    Arthur Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire
    9-1 Victoria 3:45
    9-2 Yes Sir, No Sir 3:51
    9-3 Some Mother's Son 3:29
    9-4 Drivin' 3:18
    9-5 Brainwashed 2:38
    9-6 Australia 6:47
    9-7 Shangri-La 5:23
    9-8 Mr. Churchill Says 4:46
    9-9 She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina 3:10
    9-10 Young And Innocent Days 3:25
    9-11 Nothing To Say 3:12
    9-12 Arthur 5:27
    Live At The Kelvin Hall
    10-1 Till The End Of The Day 3:20
    10-2 A Well Respected Man 3:12
    10-3 You're Looking Fine 3:28
    10-4 Sunny Afternoon 4:57
    10-5 Dandy 2:06
    10-6 I'm On An Island 2:53
    10-7 Come On Now 3:02
    10-8 You Really Got Me 2:13
    Medley (8:53)
    10-9a Milk Cow Blues
    Written-By – Estes*
    Written-By – Estes*
    10-9b Batman Theme
    Written-By – Hefti*
    Written-By – Hefti*
    10-9c Tired Of Waiting For You
    10-9d Milk Cow Blues
    Written-By – Estes*

14. mark winstanley

Somehow I think I did this year already... I'll have to fix that link at some point....

15. mark winstanley

Kompilations 2006.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Muswell Hillbillies
    1-1 20th Century Man 5:57
    1-2 Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    Brass – The Mike Cotton Sound
    3:30
    1-3 Holiday 2:39
    1-4 Skin & Bone 3:37
    1-5 Alcohol
    Brass – The Mike Cotton Sound
    3:35
    1-6 Complicated Life 4:02
    1-7 Here Come The People In Grey 3:45
    1-8 Have A Cuppa Tea 3:43
    1-9 Holloway Jail 3:25
    1-10 Oklahoma U.S.A. 2:38
    1-11 Uncle Son 2:30
    1-12 Muswell Hillbilly 4:57
    Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks
    1-13 Mountain Woman 3:09
    1-14 Kentucky Moon 3:54

Everybody's In Show-Biz
    2-1 Here Comes Yet Another Day 3:27
    2-2 Maximum Consumption 4:05
    2-3 Unreal Reality 3:32
    2-4 Hot Potatoes 3:26
    2-5 Sitting In My Hotel 3:22
    2-6 Motorway 3:28
    2-7 You Don't Know My Name
    Written-By – Dave Davies
    2:35
    2-8 Supersonic Rocket Ship 3:30
    2-9 Look A Little On The Sunny Side 2:50
    2-10 Celluloid Heroes 6:20
    2-11 Top Of The Pops (Live) 4:08
    2-12 Brainwashed (Live) 2:32
    2-13 Mr. Wonderful (live)
    Written-By – G.D. Weiss*, J.L. Bock*, L. Holofcener*
    0:44
    2-14 Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (Live) 4:02
    2-15 Holiday (Live) 3:34
    2-16 Muswell Hillbilly (Live) 3:04
    2-17 Alcohol (Live) 5:11
    2-18 Banana Boat Song (Live)
    Lyrics By – I. Burgie*, W.A. Attaway*
    Music By – Trad.*
    1:42
    2-19 Skin & Bone (Live) 3:53
    2-20 Baby Face
    Written-By – B. Davis*, H. Akst*
    2:28
    2-21 Lola (Live) 1:40
    Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks
    2-22 Till The End Of The Day (Live) 2:00
    2-23 She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina (Live) 3:03

Preservation Act 1
    3-1 Preservation (Single) 3:36
    3-2 Morning Song
    Arranged By [Strings] – Stanley Myers
    2:00
    3-3 Daylight 3:19
    3-4 Sweet Lady Genevieve 3:26
    3-5 There's A Change In The Weather 3:00
    3-6 Where Are They Now? 3:28
    3-7 One Of The Survivors 4:31
    3-8 Cricket 2:56
    3-9 Money & Corruption / I Am Your Man 6:01
    3-10 Here Comes Flash 2:41
    3-11 Sitting In The Midday Sun 3:47
    3-12 Demolition 4:05
    3-13 One Of The Survivors (Single Edit) 4:05

Preservation Act 2
    4-1 Announcement
    Voice Actor – Chris Timothy
    0:41
    4-2 Introduction To Solution 2:43
    4-3 When A Solution Comes 3:40
    4-4 Money Talks 3:44
    4-5 Announcement
    0:55
    4-6 Shepherds Of The Nation 4:17
    4-7 Scum Of The Earth 2:44
    4-8 Second-Hand Car Spiv 4:01
    4-9 He's Evil 4:25
    4-10 Mirror Of Love 3:26
    4-11 Announcement
    0:34
    4-12 Nobody Gives
    Arranged By [Strings] – Stanley Mayers*
    6:33
    4-13 Oh Where Oh Where Is Love? 3:40
    4-14 Flash's Dream (The Final Elbow) 4:17
    4-15 Flash's Confession 4:05
    4-16 Nothing Lasts Forever
    Lead Vocals – Marianne Price*
    3:42
    4-17 Announcement
    1:05
    4-18 Artificial Man
    Arranged By [Strings] – Stanley Mayers*
    5:30
    4-19 Scrapheap City
    Lead Vocals – Marianne Price*
    3:16
    4-20 Announcement
    1:05
    4-21 Salvation Road 3:18
    Bonus Tracks
    4-22 Mirror Of Love 3:28
    4-23 Slum Kids [Take 1] 6:25

Soap Opera
    5-1 Everybody's A Star (Starmaker) 2:57
    5-2 Ordinary People
    Lead Vocals – Dave Davies
    3:49
    5-3 Rush Hour Blues 4:27
    5-4 Nine To Five 1:48
    5-5 When Work Is Over 2:06
    5-6 Have Another Drink 2:41
    5-7 Underneath The Neon Sign 3:53
    5-8 Holiday Romance 3:10
    5-9 You Make It All Worthwhile 3:49
    5-10 Ducks On The Wall 3:20
    5-11 (A) Face In The Crowd 2:17
    5-12 You Can't Stop The Music 3:12
    Bonus Tracks
    5-13 Everybody's A Star (Starmaker) [Mono Mix] 2:54
    5-14 Ordinary People [Live] 3:44
    5-15 You Make It All Worthwhile [Live] 4:17
    5-16 Underneath The Neon Sign [Live] 4:05

Schoolboys In Disgrace
    6-1 Schooldays 3:31
    6-2 Jack The Idiot Dunce 3:19
    6-3 Education 7:07
    6-4 The First Time We Fall In Love 4:01
    6-5 I'm In Disgrace 3:21
    6-6 Headmaster 4:03
    6-7 The Hard Way 2:35
    6-8 The Last Assembly 2:45
    6-9 No More Looking Back 4:27
    6-10 Finale 1:02

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sleepwalker
    1-1 Life On The Road 5:01
    1-2 Mr. Big Man 3:48
    1-3 Sleepwalker 4:03
    1-4 Brother 5:27
    1-5 Juke Box Music 5:31
    1-6 Sleepless Night 3:15
    1-7 Stormy Sky 3:58
    1-8 Full Moon 3:51
    1-9 Life Goes On 5:02
    Bonus Tracks
    1-10 Artificial Light 3:26
    1-11 Prince Of The Punks 3:17
    1-12 The Poseur 2:52
    1-13 On The Outside (1977 Mix) 5:05
    1-14 On The Outside (1994 Mix) 5:18

Misfits
    2-1 Misfits 4:44
    2-2 Hayfever 3:34
    2-3 Black Messiah 4:10
    2-4 A Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy 5:02
    2-5 In A Foreign Land 3:02
    2-6 Permanent Waves 3:50
    2-7 Live Life (UK Album Version) 4:48
    2-8 Out Of The Wardrobe 3:39
    2-9 Trust Your Heart 4:13
    2-10 Get Up 3:21
    Bonus Tracks
    2-11 Black Messiah (Single Remix) 3:36
    2-12 Father Christmas 3:40
    2-13 A Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy (US Single Edit) 4:00
    2-14 Live Life (US Single Mix) 3:47

Low Budget
    3-1 Attitude 3:47
    3-2 Catch Me Now I'm Falling 5:58
    3-3 Pressure 2:25
    3-4 National Health 4:02
    3-5 (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman 3:34
    3-6 Low Budget 3:47
    3-7 In A Space 3:44
    3-8 Little Bit Of Emotion 4:50
    3-9 A Gallon Of Gas 3:48
    3-10 Misery 2:56
    3-11 Moving Pictures 3:42
    Bonus Tracks
    3-12 A Gallon Of Gas (U.S. Single Extended Edit) 3:49
    3-13 Catch Me Now I'm Falling (Original Extended Edit) 6:47
    3-14 (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (Disco Mix Extended Edit) 5:58

One For The Road
    4-1 Opening 1:43
    4-2 The Hard Way 2:42
    4-3 Catch Me Now I'm Falling 13:07
    4-4 Where Have All The Good Times Gone 2:16
    4-5 Introduction To Lola 0:54
    4-6 Lola 4:48
    4-7 Pressure 1:35
    4-8 All Day And All Of The Night 3:44
    4-9 20th Century Man 6:19
    4-10 Misfits 3:38
    4-11 Prince Of The Punks 3:55
    4-12 Stop Your Sobbing 2:30
    4-13 Low Budget 6:06
    4-14 Attitude 3:50
    4-15 (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman 6:32
    4-16 National Health 4:13
    4-17 'Till The End Of The Day 2:44
    4-18 Celluloid Heroes 7:21
    4-19 You Really Got Me 3:40
    4-20 Victoria 2:26
    4-21 David Watts 2:05

Give The People What They Want
    5-1 Around The Dial 4:45
    5-2 Give The People What They Want 3:44
    5-3 Killer's Eyes 4:38
    5-4 Predictable 3:21
    5-5 Add It Up 3:14
    5-6 Destroyer 3:46
    5-7 Yo-Yo 4:09
    5-8 Back To Front 3:16
    5-9 Art Lover 3:22
    5-10 A Little Bit Of Abuse 3:46
    5-11 Better Things 3:00

State Of Confusion
    6-1 State Of Confusion 3:42
    6-2 Definite Maybe 4:21
    6-3 Labour Of Love 3:54
    6-4 Come Dancing 3:54
    6-5 Property 4:19
    6-6 Don't Forget To Dance 4:37
    6-7 Young Conservatives 4:00
    6-8 Heart Of Gold 4:00
    6-9 Clichés Of The World (B Movie) 4:50
    6-10 Bernadette 3:28
    Bonus Tracks
    6-11 Don't Forget To Dance (Original Extended Edit) 5:05
    6-12 Once A Thief 4:02
    6-13 Long Distance 5:21
    6-14 Noise 4:38

Word Of Mouth
    7-1 Do It Again 4:11
    7-2 Word Of Mouth 3:50
    7-3 Good Day 4:35
    7-4 Living On A Thin Line 4:15
    7-5 Sold Me Out 3:44
    7-6 Massive Reductions 3:13
    7-7 Guilty 4:13
    7-8 Too Hot 4:09
    7-9 Missing Persons 2:51
    7-10 Summer's Gone 3:53
    7-11 Going Solo 3:54
    Bonus Tracks
    7-12 Good Day (Extended Edit) 5:28
    7-13 Summer's Gone (Extended Edit) 4:50

markelis, ARL, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I remember seeing the 10cd Pye set in Adelaide while on holiday, and was really tempted. I think I went back two or three times, and then of course regretted not buying it. Now of course I’m happy with all the deluxe 2cd versions!

17. mark winstanley

Ray Davies - The World From My Window.

This is a really good documentary type show essentially about Ray's writing and its enduring effect.
    We have seen this, but pretty much completely at the other end of the thread... and to some degree, for those with the time, it's probably worth revisiting this with the context we've probably gained over the last couple of years.

The name artists pouring praise on Ray, is apt, and enlightening

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Over My Head is great and certainly an album and solo career highlight. You could actually make a nice single disc solo Ray comp. Perhaps a task for the end of the thread after we’ve gone through all of his albums.

19. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Anyone else hears a Crowded House / Neil Finn vibe ? Yet another fantastic track that never fully registered with me at the time of release, from an album full of them. It’s such a great pleasure when this happens but it’s also a bit weird and unsettling. What was I thinking, back in 2006? Why was I missing out on this? How was I listening?

It puts in perspective some statements that were made about the catchiest most immediate tunes here (Run Away from Time for instance) and in general, the seductive – and often true– idea that good pop music should not be too much labored over, either by the songwriter or by the listener. I agree with it in theory… yet it so happens that most songs on this album get better after multiple plays and an in-depth focused attention. That’s their nature, it’s not something we impose on them because of our Thread’s context or an analytical bias, it’s what they call for but also what they inspire.
    Anyway, that’s what I was thinking reading @mark’s brilliant opening post just now. At six minutes, the song’s too long in my opinion… except I’ve just changed it (my opinion). It would perhaps be a better pop song at the 3mn mark but Ray writes mostly longer pieces on this record, as if he deliberately chose not to stop at just capturing a character or a situation, but to unwrap them and develop them further, perhaps in a more literary way. We need all six minutes of it for the psychological and emotional journey of the character/singer to go full circle.

20. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Stand Up Comic
    For me, this is another highlight of the album. It's Ray singing/speaking in his natural voice about falling standards in British culture - a subject we know is close to his heart. Here he transposes one of the first stand-up comics, Max Miller - who played on innuendo, to modern "yob" culture where there is no subtlety. I love the rhythm of the lyrics and the music that has a whimsical Music Hall feel.
    This song reminds me of one of my favourite comedians, Lee Mack, and his story about the first time he did a stand-up routine. It's pretty funny.

Over My Head
    This is a strong finish to the album, lyrically and musically. Some might think it's on the long side at 6 minutes, but I don't think it overstays it's welcome. Ray points out that the character has come full circle since the first song yet (defensively) "it's definitely not a concept record." For the most part the songs stand up well in isolation so on that narrow definition I tend to agree that it's not a concept album. I think he should be very happy with it though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  21. mark winstanley

I have already written an album summary, and I can't remember what I said, and I don't have time to re-read it right now... but that's for Monday morning

But in many ways this is the last song on the album, as Thanksgiving Day was generally listed as a bonus track, and a top quality one, but I just wanted to say, I know some people have reservations about this album, or perhaps had, and certainly that is everybody's absolute right to not agree with me, most don't lol .... but for me this album is on par with the best of the Kinks albums. It may not have the guys involved, and that's just the sad reality of life, the music industry and everything (to give a distorted reflection of Douglas Adams) but I think this album is absolutely top class. I suppose I understand some folks may find it somewhat mellow or something, but this is Ray the elder statesman, a man reflecting on life and the world at 60+ years of age, and in spite of perhaps some more mellow material, this is about as vital as anything Ray ever put together for me.

Interestingly, I have found Workingman's Cafe has started seeping into my head as being another really solid album, and I'm going to be interested to see how that one ends up feeling in my heart and mind when I go through it properly, but I reckon this album is all class, and has a fantastic batch of songs that show yet again what a gift Ray Davies has been to the music world ... in all seriousness it is in consideration for my top 100 albums list that @Zeki and @palisantrancho kind of encouraged me to attempt... yea, for me, it's that good lol

22. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Over My Head - What a tremendous review and dissection by Mark. That’s flat out brilliant, sir! Ray really nails a personal crisis and how we tend to deal with it. So many ways to interpret it and the genius is that we can all nod and wear that cloak in some gashion.. Musically, Ray is onto a different sound that stands the test of time. Nice call by @stewedandkeefed on the Beck comparison. I’m so glad I got to hear this song! A late career masterpiece? I’d say yes.

The wide boy discussion triggered another song I’ll post on Freeform Sunday.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  23. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Stand Up Comic:

Finally, a song with a little pizzazz and kick! I have purposefully avoided reading others comments on this song as I didn’t want it to impact my thoughts. Something a bit different hear from Ray, but I really like it. In fact, it may be one of my favorites on the album. It comes at just the right time, as the last few songs, while enjoyable, have been a bit (as some others have noted) snooze inducing.

As best, as I can tell, he seems to be focusing on low brow humor which panders to the lowest common denominator. I like fart jokes, I have never outgrown them, so perhaps Ray would think less of me. I am not sure I care that much, a laugh is a laugh in my book.

Musically, the drummer has had his coffee and I like the skittery guitar work. At 4 1/2 minutes, one might think this song might feel long for its subject matter, but I think it speeds past pretty quickly. As usual with Ray, there is no clear chorus versus verses, and with the repeated bridge, the song stays interesting due to the constant change in style.

I like this one a lot.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Over My Head’:
    When I clicked on the thread this very early morning I went directly to the various compilations so was confused by, what I thought (!), were a lot of people randomly talking about ‘Over My Head.’ :D

Anyway, I now see Mark’s write-up and have firmly returned to the straight and narrow.

Chorus:
    Over my head, yeah
    Over my head
    Over my head
    —end—
    Is there anyone that hears this song that won’t be singing along to “over my head, yeah eh”? I doubt it.

The production exudes warmth, the musicianship is superb…this is a stellar song.

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

3 hours! Do you work in a gym?