The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Thanks again, Avid Pyrrhicvictory, for that Ray interview. I always tried myself to get any Ray/Kinks stories in any magazine that I could find, but you did a great job.

Also, someone took out our library copy of Soap Opera today. Maybe it could be a lurker to this thread.

3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Must be saving if for the full concert release...

4. CheshireCat

And that's another candidate for a full album/bluray release. Please!

5. CheshireCat

Ray Davies - Live At The Roundhouse, Camden.
    BBC Electric Proms: Sunday 28th October 2007

The full show was broadcast live online, from which this youtube video originates. Those limitations on the visual recording will be due to the online service at the time. In addition, an abridged show was shown on BBC Television, with proper broadcast quality. Therefore, the BBC have the full recording in high quality, so it's there, and good enough for a bluray release. If only...

The tracks broadcast on TV in the order below (which I have on a DVD copied from the TV at the time) are:
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Working Man's Cafe
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Shangri-La
    Waterloo Sunset
    Lola
    You Really Got Me

Additional clips were also shown over the following days:
    Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    The Tourist
    Sunny Afternoon

Obviously the full show trumps these shorter broadcasts, but they do look and sound much better. I was very disappointed at the time we didn't get the full show. Other artists (of lesser stature in my opinion) at this festival had their whole show broadcast.

I'm glad they saw fit to broadcast the sublime (but mostly unknown to the general public) 'Shangri-La'. I'd have been much happier if 'Days' and 'Imaginary Man' had made its way onto the TV edit. They're the two biggest misses for me. It's quite amazing that songs like 'Imaginary Man' can be mentioned in the same breath as 'Days', but for me, that is where it belongs. Top of the pile.

While this show is totally different to Dave's 'Rock Bottom - Live at the Bottom Line', this is equally excellent. It shows the difference between the two brothers and how, when together, those two sides of the same coin can create something even more magical.

6. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Live at the Roundhouse

What a great show. I would definitely buy an official release of the entire show, even though I tend not to watch videos of concerts too often. When I have time, I plan on sitting down to watch the whole show again on YouTube, instead of a few tracks at a time. The chorus again really added nicely to Shangri-La, and Lola is always great fun. I think Ray is being a little disingenuous about not knowing what to make of Imaginary Man. I don't think you reserve a song for the encore if you're iffy about it. I know I love it. I liked the return to a storytelling intro with You Really Got Me, having it start out as a blues oriented number, and then going into the raucous version of the song it became all those years ago. It's also really nice to hear Ray give well deserved credit to Dave. Yes, of course I miss Dave's guitar, but knowing that the Kinks are pretty much over at this point, the band at this show did a perfectly respectable rendition, making a great ending to the show, in front of a very appreciative audience.

7. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Agreed. He perfectly knows what to make of it. "It could be great", he says. And he's right about that, too.
    There’s not a lot of “theme songs” in the Ray Davies catalogue. Very few, really. Off the top of my head, I count five. I’m Not Like Everybody Else, 20th Century Man, Misfits perhaps, Still Searching and Imaginary Man. Three of those were indeed played during this Roundhouse performance, and they hold very specific spots, because of their special resonance : the opening song, the very last song before the You Really Got Me finale, and the 11th song of 21 tracks set, so right in the middle. Really, the (subconscious ?) message that they represent the backbone of what Ray's all about and hold a special place in his heart couldn't be much clearer.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Kindly forward it to Mark, i fancy he has some bills coming up!

9. All Down The Line

Im laughing to myself as i saw Mick solo playing Rolling Stones songs!

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Dave Davies - Belly Up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Produced by: Dave Davies
    Release date: 7 Aug 2008
    Record label & catalog #: Metamedia Records MM-009
    Format: CD
    Release type: Dave Davies solo release

Liner Notes:
    Meta Media Official Bootleg Series #3
    www.davedavies.com
    Dave Davies Live at the Belly Up
    29/4/1997

Band
    Dave Davies Lead Guitar & Vocals
    Jim Laspesa Drums & vocals
    David Jenkins Bass
    Andrew Sandoval Guitar
    Danny McGough Keyboard

Dave Davies Live
    Recorded live at the Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, CA on 4/29/1997
    Jonathan Lea Consultant
    Produced by Metamedia Records.mm-009

1. She's Got Everything live, stereo mix (2:55), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    2. Look Through Any Doorway live, stereo mix (3:46), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    3. Susannah's Still Alive live, stereo mix (2:24), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    4. Creepin' Jean live, stereo mix (2:54), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    5. Love Me Till The Sun Shines live, stereo mix (3:13), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    6. Imaginations Real live, stereo mix (3:31), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    7. Wicked Annabella live, stereo mix (3:46), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    8. Strangers live, stereo mix (3:47), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    9. Too Much On My Mind live, stereo mix (3:18), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    10. Dead End Street live, stereo mix (2:40), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    11. Milk Cow Blues live, stereo mix (4:02), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    12. I'm Not Like Everybody Else live, stereo mix (5:30), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    13. Living On A Thin Line live, stereo mix (4:41), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    14. All Day And All Of The Night live, stereo mix (2:26), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    15. Money live, stereo mix (2:55), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    16. David Watts live, stereo mix (2:57), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    17. Unfinished Business live, stereo mix (5:23), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California
    18. You Really Got Me live, stereo mix (1:26), recorded 29 Apr, 1997 at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, California

It's interesting that Dave waited 11 years to release this, and I can only assume that he wanted a sort of stop gap release while continuing his recovery and looking towards his next project.

Interestingly when I was looking for the show online I noticed there are a quite a few gigs on youtube from the Belly Up Tavern... To be honest it isn't a place I have ever heard of prior.
    At the end of the day @Michael Streett supplied us with the audio to run through this one.

On a quick listen this sounds like a really good show. The audio is somewhat like a really good bootleg.

Funnily enough this all comes together and suits Dave's style and sound, to my ears.

She's Got Everything.

Dave comes roaring out of the gate with this track. The band is tight and the feel is really good.
    This is pretty much on par with the Bottom Line release, but with a slightly less professional recording ... but having said that, there is something appealing about the sound of this, once you acclimate to it.

Look Through Any Doorway.

This is another excellent version of a very good Kinks track.
    It's actually a reminder of what a solid track this is.
    Enjoying this a lot.

Susannah's Still Alive.

This kind of reinforces to me at least, that during this period of time, Dave was probably at his peak in terms of live performance. He really seems to be on it completely, and enjoying performing, and doing a great job of it.

Creeping Jean.

Another classic Dave track, and it's very cool hearing the crowd being so obviously into the show.

Love Me Till The Sun Shines.

I reckon I can hear why Dave decided to release this.
    It shows a Dave in prime rock and roll form, a crowd that is loving every minute of it, and in spite of it having a slight bootleg kind of quality to it, it actually captures the whole enthusiasm of the show really well.
    Up to this point, this is a really cracking live set, and it captures all the elements you'd want in a live show.

0:00 She's Got Everything
    2:55 Look Through Any Doorway
    6:40 Susannah's Still Alive
    9:05 Creeping Jean
    11:59 Love Me Till The Sun Shines
    15:15 Imaginations Real
    18:44 Wicked Annabella
    22:29 Strangers
    26:20 Too Much On My Mind
    29:33 Dead End Street
    32:15 Milk Cow Blues
    36:18 I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    41:45 Living On A Thin Line
    46:27 All Day And All Of The Night
    48:52 Money (That's What I Want)
    51:48 David Watts
    54:44 Unfinished Business
    1:00:09 You Really Got Me

11. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

And we thought Fractured Mindz had a bad album cover!

12. Fortuleo

Never heard (of) this one. We’re back in the pre-Bug era, if I’m not mistaken, with only a couple of songs that were not on Rock Bottom. I've sure missed Dave when we were deep into Ray stuff. But boy, do I miss Ray already as we’re about to spend some time without him!

13. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Listening to the beginning of this Dave show (and having passed on much of the Dave solo material), I was surprised how punchy these first five songs were. Also, I generally have found Dave's stuff to be less appealing because I am not a fan of his voice but listening to this show I think I may have warmed up to Dave's voice. All five of these songs have a rocking intensity and each has its share of hooks. Plus Dave sounds totally committed to what he is doing. Of these five songs, "Susannah's Still Alive" was my favourite but all five of them have an energy to them so I was pleasantly surprised. Looking at what is to come, I see the Kinks will be represented in the show (next up "Imagination's Real" which I know from Kinks shows).

14. All Down The Line

The Roundhouse Part 4

Shangrila is just so welcome to me as even if they butchered it i could find no fault.

My daughter sang along agaim with Lola and wanted the lyric fully explained so I elaborated enough for a 10 year old so it's now a male in disguise, kind of like an.......

Imaginary Man, which yes Ray is sure of its content, meaning and merit.
    He is coy as he knew his audience wasn't, at least yet!

Ray really got me in commending Dave but otherwise this was slightly anticlimactic if only because oh yeah we have really seen this finale in our sleep at night!

The London Roundhouse originally housed a giant turntable that was utilised to change the direction of a rolling caboose that ran on steam.
    Ray could have done a great preservation link for The Last Of The Steam Powered Trains and perhaps romanced us further still! :)

** Edit: Maybe Ray used all the train(ing) wheels on the crowd in the previous song or is my theory imaginary?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  15. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I don't know if I must thank you, Avid @pyrrhicvictory , or curse you for all these magazine scans that you share, as most of the time I think "oh that's one more wonderful interview I won't be able to read". I did take a bit of the time that I don't have to read the last one above, and it's really interesting. I didn't know the story of how the guitar sound on "Lola" was achieved (or maybe it was mentionned at the time on the Thread but I forgot it). And I' didn't know Ray learned some orchestration skills in the mid-70s - right at the time when he stopped orchestrating songs, how funny.

16. Fortuleo

Yeah, the first five songs are a big rock’n’roll bang. The best one of the lot? Impossible to say, I won’t even try to differentiate them, as what impresses me the most is how everything here (a Ray song, a solo Dave single, a solo Dave outtake, a Something Else nugget and an early nineties B-side) sound like they belong together, on par with each other. All part of the same hard rocking (or power popping) vision.

17. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Dave can't be denied on this stuff. The band and the energy cut through any worries about sonics. I feel like I'm at this rocking show!

Brettlowden, ARL, The MEZ and 16 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

Sounds like for you it's the bottom line!

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes. This one says “official bootleg series” and appears to be sold only directly from Dave…but, would anyone actually be seen picking this up in a genuine record store?! Not me! Horrible album cover.

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The cover art to Belly Up! is really something: we've had Clown Dave, Gangster Dave, Noir Replicant Dave, Baroque King Dave etc.. now meet: Trailer Park Patriarch at 11.30pm on a Saturday Night Dave!

21. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Roundhouse Woundup

Shangri-La
    really shines as the epic song it is. Soft and beautiful here, powerful and driving there. The choir is fine in areas, but sometimes I think are not really needed on the softer verses. At one point, there is a woman singing along with every word, with tears in her eyes. If I were there, and doing my best Lola impression, that may have well been me.

As for Lola, I miss Dave on this one. I love the song, the band does a great job, Ray is into it, but just doesn’t have the same effect on me as the all other closing songs in this set.

Imaginary Man
    To start, um wow. It really takes a lot of guts (and confidence) to play a brand new song as the penultimate encore. Not sure if Ray was still tinkering with the structure, but I noticed he did the first two verses together, instead of verses 2 and 1 together, before doing the ascending pre-chorus. Or he dropped a verse? Not sure. It’s actually quite perfect as a concert closer. Even more so at this point in such an illustrious career. Yes Ray, it was great!!

You Really Got Me
    This intro starts out and you think it’s a Dave live show where he’s doing his The Blues thing, and then we get the story and evolution of the song. The insertions of their conversations as the song progresses… so neat. Wonder what would have happened it it was released as the blues version? Would the band have been dropped? Would this thread not exist? Ray owes a lot to Dave, it would seem.

Wish this show was available on streaming or release. Fantastic.

22. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I am loving this one already! Great title, Fat Belly Up! Dave’s got quite a sense of humor.

This all sounds good to me, so I’m not going to single out any particular songs*. All I can say is that my criticisms of Ray’s roundhouse show (and I want to again reiterate that I like that recording) do not exist here. Sure, the sonics aren’t great and, of course, I would so much prefer to hear Ray on vocals along with Dave, but here we have exactly what I asked for, guitars, drums, bass, and keyboards (and thankfully, no choirs in the background). Just Dave rocking out on a bunch of great kinks songs and letting his guitar rip.

I don’t think we have heard Dave do she’s got everything live yet (have we?). I consider that a real treat. That song is one of my favorites early rockers, and a real hidden nugget. I am guessing I will dig most of this recording.

* I lied here, but I was too lazy to go back and edit.

23. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The music of this live Dave set certainly proves the old saying that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. It has a great song selection, it’s performed w/passion and sounds pretty good for a near bootleg.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D It may well prove the saying but it also provides evidence for the maxim “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

(Between Dave and Ray and a long, long life in the music biz…you’d (well, I would) think there’d be a lesson or two learned. Album covers are important; paying attention to the marketing campaign is crucial (yeah, Ray, “they” gave away your entire Working Man’s Cafe album. “They” didn’t do anything. You did.) What was ‘…Moneygoround’ all about?

25. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Belly Up!

I’ll admit to just recently acquiring this disc after skipping it all those years ago. I paid more than I wanted to, but I’m at the point now where I am more interested in filling in whatever I am missing from a catalog I want to complete, and cost be damned. For sale copies of this are scarce these days, so when this came up in an email from Ebay from my want list I had on there, I made the play.

This was recorded in 1997 some months prior to the Rock Bottom shows and album that were already released a few years earlier. Belly Up was not released until 2008 as part of his Meta Media Bootleg series of website-only availability with the mono soundboard to match this description as an official bootleg. I agree it was probably only released at this time as Dave was still recovering and had nothing new going on in the studio that we know about, and he was still several years away from returning to live performance.

Named after the San Diego area tavern where this show was performed and with a suitable cover chosen to match, this was only the second ever live show for solo Dave and this band, and they are already a tight unit. The band here is almost the same as the Rock Bottom band, but the keyboardist is different from that run of shows. This means that every solo Dave live album we have looked at up to this point has had a slightly different line up of band members, but they don’t lose anything in performance, tightness, and chemistry with any of these personnel changes. I regret not going to any solo Dave shows when I had the chance to back in the 2000s.

Dave did some local TV the morning of this show and this is on YouTube in two short parts.

Part 1 here, Part 2 in the next post.