The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'd have to chuck it lol

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yah, yours are too well known kinks!

3. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Two Worlds

This is a really good track with a slow-building dreamy mood. The synth backing blended with spoken word vocals makes the song very different to what one might expect from Dave. I like it a lot, both as a stand-alone song and as part of the album.

4. mark winstanley

Love Will Change.

Again we open with a melancholy keyboard sound and the rush of air that leads into a kind of new age type soundscape.

The bass works well in the way the sound is presented.

Then we get this change up that almost makes it sound like some kind of eighties Alan Parsons Project track....

Here is an article on Dave, this project, and this track
    Dave Davies: Astral Warrior and Proto Punk on ‘Open Road’ | Observer

Look, trying to decipher these lyrics is just going to be too hard and take longer than I have, and I can't find them anywhere online.

What I can say, is that so far I am enjoying this album, and this track fits right in with that.
    Again this is a very different sound, feel and style than we've really heard from Dave.
    We have more focus and less seemingly aimless wandering that was present in the Purusha album.

Here again, we have a nicely structured exploration of synthetic soundscapes, that actually engages me and sounds like a song I could listen to and enjoy, rather than a meandering synth exercise.

I could actually hear this being played ... perhaps not on the radio, but perhaps so.

Frankly I am enjoying this, and it is a nice little curve ball thrown into the thread here.
    I certainly couldn't imagine Ray doing this, but here, with Dave and Russ we have a focused change of direction that is musically and aurally appealing to me.

5. mark winstanley

The Ravens - Ooba Diooba
    Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Long Tall Sally at the Cavern Club
    Starstruck promo video/ Days video/ Sunny Afternoon TOTP
    April 65 Beat review
    Barry Fantoni - Little Man In a Little Box
    Dead End Street video
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970
    The Long Distance Piano Player
    Nov 1970 - Jun 1976
    Apeman video
    Sitting In The Midday Sun video
    Ray video interview 1973
    Soap Opera Tour Spring 1975
    Feb 1977 - Dec 1983
    Dave - Guitar Player 1977
    The Kinks Punk Christmas
    Artificial Light or. mix
    Life Goes On OGWT
    Morphing docu of Hotelroom sessions + interview Ray + live KinKs in Vienna 1978.
    One For The Road - the lost videos
    1981 A Woman In Love (chorus girls)
    Oh Tokyo live in 1982 - lyrics
    Don't Forget To Dance video
    Dave and Dick Clark
    Jan 1984 - Dec 1993
    Ray - Musician mag - Q questions
    Feb 87 RockBill
    Sep 1989 East Coast Rocker
    Dave - Guitar 1990
    Do It Again video
    Pulse mag May 1993
    1994 - 2006.
    Mojo 1994
    Mojo 1995
    Dave - Guitar Player 2002
    Musician May 97
    Guitar World 97
    Quaife Holland 2004
    Heroes Of Rock live in Germany
    1998 Ray Davies Flatlands live - Visions Of England edit - VOE complete
    Kompilations 2005 Kompilations 2005
    Americana (Hey Big Fat Cowboy) - live Jane Street
    Otis Riffs
    Filter 2003
    Feb 2006 - 2009

Feb 2009 Dave Davies Around The Galaxy
    I Need You
    She's Got Everything
    Look Through Any Doorway
    Susannah's Still Alive
    Creepin Jean
    Love Me Til The Sun Shines
    Milk Cow Blues
    Imaginations Real
    Wicked Annabella
    Picture Book
    Strangers
    Too Much On My Mind
    Death Of A Clown
    Get Back In Line
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Unfinished Business
    You Really Got Me
    Around the Galaxy

June 2009 Ray Davies Kinks Choral Collection
    Postcards From London - Kate Nash
    Days
    Waterloo Sunset
    You Really Got Me
    Victoria
    See My Friends
    Celluloid Heroes
    Shangri-La
    Workingman's Cafe
    Village Green
    Picture Book
    Big Sky
    Do You Remember Walter?
    Johnny Thunder
    Village Green Preservation Society
    All Day And All Of The Night

Oct 2009 Ray Davies Collected

Ray Davies - New York Choral Concert Nov 2009
    Pt 1
    Pt 2
    Pt 3
    Pt 4
    Pt 5

2010 Ray Davies Imaginary Man - Julien Temple

Nov 2010 Dave and Russ - Aschere Project - Two Worlds
    - info - book 1 - 2
    Kakshisa Cipher
    Two Worlds
    Love Will Change

Arthur BBC Radio Play

Ray Choral You Really Got Me on tv
    Ray Choral Waterloo Sunset on tv

Ray and George Lamb

2010 Ray on Alex Chilton
    May 2010 Sound On Sound

Dave Davies Banger interview

2010 Come Dancing play

Spin 2010
    Uncut Dec 2010

2011 Dave Davies Kinkdom Come - Julien Temple

2011 Kinks Kompilations

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)
    Shadows (73)
    Web Of Time (75)
    Mr Moon (75) - Why
    Islands (78)
    Give You All My Love (78)
    Within Each Day (78)
    Same Old Blues (78)
    This Precious Time (78)

2019 Kast Off Kinks with Ray

2022 Muswell/ Showbiz box
    2022 Celluloid Heroes
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    Travelling Montage
    Travelling With My Band - I'm Going Home - You Can't Stop The Music
    2022 remixes pt 1 - part 2 - part 3

2022 Dave - Something Else - Josh Meyers Podcast

2022 Dave Davies - 21st Century

Creem articles - Mar 70
    - Mar 71
    - Feb 72
    - Nov 72
    - Aug 73
    - Apr 74
    - Jul 74
    - Aug 75
    - Feb 76
    - Aug 77
    - Apr 78
    - Aug 78
    - Oct 78
    - Jan 81
    - May 85
    - Apr 85
    - Apr 87
    - May 87
    - Jun 87
    - Jun 88

Rare Silent Video

How Ray And Dave Survived Their Kinks Journey

Dave Interview 2022? newspaper

Rob Kopp has made his 1999 Kinks discography 'Down All The days Till 1992'

US Chart Stats
    The Music Industry Machine

Album flow chart

Album poll graph

Mick Avory - Shut Up Frank -Lola - We Gotta Get Outta This Place
    Pete Quaife - interview - Kast Off Kinks - I Could See It In Your Eyes - Dead End Street
    Rasa Didzpetris Davies
    John Dalton
    John Gosling
    Jim Rodford
    Ian Gibbons
    Andy Pyle
    Gordon Edwards
    Clive Davis
    Bob Henrit

Mark Haley - info
    Jakko Jaksyk

6. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"Love Will Change"

I have similar feelings about this music as @mark winstanley in that it is such a different type of music than we have come to expect from Dave that there is a freshness to it that has taken me by surprise. Firstly, this track has no electric guitar but is a moody piece of ambient music dominated by a synth sound. Secondly, the lead vocal is exceptional to me. It is eerie and evocative. The lyrics? I do not have a clue about what they are saying but that does not matter to me because the music and voice create an effective mood without strongly communicating "meaning". Yeah it sounds pretty Eighties and in the back of my mind, it reminds me of Neil Young's controversial 1982 album Trans. I definitely am appreciating what Dave achieved with this music.

7. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Love Will Change

Another chord theme that serves as a major component of this album from a musical compositional standpoint and will be seen and heard again later in the album.

Like a lot of music, structurally this album is all about tension and release. One minute uptight and tense and the next relaxed, relieved and content. And then tense again. Such is life.

This track opens with an evocative haunting chord progression of A minor to F major to D minor.
    Then the "verse" and groove start and we move to G major then F major and back to D minor. So the key change itself also provides some of the tension and release this time. Minor to major is tension and release and then back. Chord intervals themselves also dictate tension and release regardless of major, minor, or whatever.

(OK, I'll stop here as I'm probably getting over my head now. Remember folks, this is a drummer trying to comment on and espouse on just some very basic musical theory and even that is usually very dangerous ground and tenuous territory most of the time.)

Lyrically, the story as told in the CD booklet probably provides more than what is actually heard and sung in the songs themselves here and I'll have more on this and the next page of this booklet later.

It's funny. We criticize Dave for his lyrics sometimes and wish he would do just an instrumental album. When he actually does this, we then ask where are the lyrics?

Ray could have done something totally outside of the box like this album if he wanted to, but his insecurities would never ever allow it. Make of that what you will.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  8. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Love Will Change is fantastic stuff, like a sequel to When You Were a Child, very musical and at times, more than Trans, the electro sounds and vocoder falsetto makes me think of Julian Casablancas solo LP and some of his greater later Strokes experiments, when the vocoder transforms the human voice in pure melody, otherworldly and transcendent.
    (I know they're often dismissed but I just love the Strokes)

9. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Love Will Change"

Very different to anything we've heard from Dave before, and some of the synth melodies are quite haunting. A very nice track overall, and Dave's voice blends into the track to the extent that even if I could pick out what he was singing, it probably wouldn't make any impact. They could be building the Moorglade for all I know.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think this will end up being my favourite Dave album!

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Love Will Change:
    Film Music, the scene where the two young people come out from opposite directions of the glade and see each other…attracted but initially shy. Then tentative “reaching out to you, falling out to you”…and ultimately “love will change.”

12. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I don’t listen to much music in this style, but I am enjoying The Aschere Project from the first three tracks I heard. I planned on giving the whole album a listen this afternoon, and put it on, but stopped at Love Will Change because the sound and feel reminded me of something. I thought it would drive me crazy, but, pretty quickly, it popped into my head that it reminded me of the opening theme of The White Lotus season 2.

13. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Love Will Change

Wow, what a track! It starts off very low-key and then adds more layers with synthesizers and Dave's singing. There is a haunting beauty about this track, with a blend of melancholy, hope and gratitude that genuine love will lead to a positive change in life. The song manages to sound both humble and epic at the same time. So far I am really enjoying this album.

14. Michael Streett

For the story in the CD booklet, instead of posting the remaining images themselves, I am taking @Zeki's well heeded advice about trying to make these liner notes easier and friendlier to read for us mostly old geezers. My eyesight ain't what it used to be either. Last night I found that the Google Photos site I use to host these images allows you to scan the image and copy text-only if so desired. So I did this into a Word document. No way in hell am I going to type this 6-page story out word by word myself.

I did attempt to correct some of the more egregious spelling and grammatical errors in the booklet, but that's no easy task with Dave's releases, so surely some will remain. I mean, Whose Foolin' Who, right? (Remember that's how that song is titled and spelled on the album cover, and I recall we had some good fun with that at the time :laugh:.

(Spooky aside here, and I promise I'm not making this up. As I was working on this stuff last night, I received a wrong number text message around 9:15 PM from someone in the (321) area code [Orlando, FL area - I had to look it up] that said "My car was brought in for maintenance. Bella please come pick me up for golf practice tomorrow."

I don’t know anyone named Bella and that is a name I hear or use exactly zero times in an average year, but Bella just so happens to be the name of one of the central characters in the story and narrative of this very album we are looking at right now as evidenced by these liner notes. :wtf:
    Weird, huh? I have no explanation for this.

I could not make up something this insane as it couldn't possibly pass the smell test as a lie. No way. But just in case, I will save this wrong number text message for evidence and proof if questioned and called out on it.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So here is the CD booklet in its entirety in a Word document format. For those that attempt to read this whole thing, Good Luck! You'll need it and deserve a prize or something...

The Aschere Project presents

"The Kakshisa Cipher" (Two Worlds)

A story taken from an original manuscript by Dave Davies and Russ Davies 2010

Chapter 1

Far beyond the milky-way system, lost in time, dimension and space, lies The Planet Kartikela, an old and lonely world scathed by wars and the ravages of time. This was once a beautiful and bountiful planet rich with life, color and spirit, but this beautiful planet, along with countless others, has been taken hostage to a dark growing entity over the last millennia, which seeks out domination across the universe.

Kartikela is still home to a very small group of indigenous people, descendants of the ancient civilization, and they have survived the years of war and destruction, and have survived the dismantling of their faith and religion from this dark entity. The Kartikelians devote themselves to maintaining their faith and belief of a prophecy, an event in the future that will re-align the negative forces and restore order in the Universe. This prophecy talks of the union of two souls who have been separated through time, dimension and space. These two souls were together at the start of it all, the beginning of time, and if they can be re-united once again then the dark entity would dissolve and the universe will be one again.

Among the small tribe of the Kartikelians is a high priestess named Bella, a beautiful alien women, 28 years old with red/auburn hair. She is one of the few remaining pure souls. Standing alone on a high hill on a beautiful dusky evening Bella is looking sadly up at the starlit sky. Bella-is singing in pleading and yearning tones as if calling out to the Universe. Longing to be reunited with her true one. A soul she feels she has known, loved and lost through the painful and sorrowful passage of time. Life after Life. Bella a high priestess knows in her heart that he is out there somewhere among the stars. She has had many visions and memories of the past and her life with her True Love. A love that spans time, dimension and space - Kela, her True Love, has incarnated on Earth as Charlie Santini. He has appeared in many of her mystic visions. Belle sees him in her mind’s eye and senses his Soul in her heart, across the vastness of space. But Charlie is oblivious- he can't see her- but he constantly dreams of a strange world and a strange yet beautiful and elusive mystical woman, night after night.

At Bella's side appears an old woman, Lucretia. Lucretia is a powerful magician. One of the Spiritual elders. Bella's mentor, guide and teacher. She tries to comfort Bella. Bella tells Lucretia that she can sense him but she doesn't know where he is. She cries out in anguish. "He is my True One!" Lucretia holds Bella close to her as she tries to comfort her - She scans the universe using her clairvoyance to search for Bella's True Love. After a little time Bella wipes away her tears and reaches out for her Vioctophone - an alien looking violin type musical instrument-She starts playing the Kakshisa Cipher.

Chapter 2

Old York Village-Manhattan-Country-United Corporates of Northern Hemisphere-UCNH Charlie aged around 38 years old stumbles around his apartment in mid-Manhattan - the year is 2030- New York of the future it is now called Old-York Village-Charlie is a hard-nosed disillusioned plain clothes cop working for the 43rd precinct downtown-Murder, drugs, gangland crime, corrupt politicians is his game, is his territory- but now he has reached the depths of despair - once an idealist full of dreams and hope for the future with altruistic plans to help clean up the city and build a just and fair society. He has resigned himself to his lot in life. Charlie has become a drunken and beaten cop. His spirit destroyed by the crime, slime and grime and hopelessness of the city. The Corruption and deceit of local government - constantly beating his head against the wall day after day- there seems no way out. The city has finally hit an all-time low. An ever-downward spiral towards self-destruction. There seems to be no solution to his torment or to the crime and misery of the city. After work some nights he plays jazz guitar in an old York village club with his friend and colleague, Dee. Dee is a pianist and devoted friend who tries to look out for Charlie - to watch his back.

Hung-over Charlie rambles around the apartment- he scratches his head- broken and fleeting images fill his mind. Weird thoughts haunt him. Visions of a strange and mystical splintered dream. He makes some coffee. He picks up a ringing phone. It is Dee. They arrange to meet. Another drug bust in a dark quarter of the city. It is 6 am. Charlie then puts the phone down and slugs back the strong black coffee. Picking up his shooter and pocket computer he heads out the door.

Charlie hurriedly leaves, crashing the door shut behind him and clambers his way down the stairs, out into the street and to his car.

Snarling at the cold dank morning and the bums and hookers in the street, Charlie looks up at the Towering cold buildings as they stretch aimlessly to the sky. They stare soullessly back down at him. He has now finally lost. Hope.

It is early morning. The Bustling noise of the city. Traffic... guns shots in the background...police and ambulance sirens echo all around. Charlie and Dee and other cops are chasing down some local gangsters down the dirty alleyways of the city. We are witnessing the aftermath of a typical drug bust, Charlie and Dee make various arrests. The criminals struggle with other policemen as they are ushered and dragged away into Police vans and taken downtown.

In the background we see a dark, shadowy and sinister figure in a doorway. He peers around the corner of some brick corner building, looking in the direction of Charlie and Dee as they drive away from the scene. A hooded man with dark piercing eyes. He is obviously been watching Charlie and his partner very closely. He is the city's gang boss- he runs most things in the city. Behind the scenes he is often seen pulling the strings of various business deals and buying off politicians, the police and government officials. He has bought, stolen, threatened, murdered and intimidated his way to the top. His hoods have infiltrated the hard core of the police force. Soon he will control the whole city and hold the entire state in his grip. Yet even he is merely an agent, a puppet for a far greater and more treacherous and insidious force that lurks behind the scenes. Unbeknownst to this gang boss, he doesn't realize that he is a only a mere instrument of a more all-encompassing malignant psychic force that operates and influences all realms of existence in the universe. The dreadful being behind it all is the mighty, the terrible and awe- some evil of Dexus Tyrannus- a monstrous entity that manipulates his henchmen thru time and space upon many levels and dimension. A multi-dimensional morphing dark entity that lives off and draws off of all the negative forces in the universe. Dexus can create and instigate un- imaginable destruction and unthinkable evil that operates mostly unseen in the universe.

Chapter 3

In a quiet part of town in an old broken down district in a small side street an old man sits in the back of an old antique bookstore. He is trying to decipher ancient texts from the many writings he has bought, acquired, discovered over the years. His research has taken him to the four corners of the globe. Father Pepe as he is affectionately known by the locals, is-a psychic, a sage, shaman and mystic. A magician in his early 60's. Pepe is wizardly looking and eccentric. Many have come to him for Spiritual and mystical guidance and psychological help. Before him sit the ancestors’ tablets and ancient scrolls that Pepe has spent a good part of his life searching for and has at last found. He uncovered them during his travels to the east.

As he sits in this dingy and forgotten little book store, we gradually realize that he is *Purusha as an older man. Father Pepe discovered these ancient tablets during an archaeological dig some years before and he has been studying them ever since. Pepe gradually begins to understand and unravel the secret information contained within the ciphers; in the Codes, strange language and symbols. They reveal to him information of an ancient off world alien civilization and language. As Pepe reads in his mind he hears ancient murmurings. A distant voice from inside his head. Suddenly it transforms into a strong and resonant voice from the past. The voice speaks to him as if from out of nowhere. It is Authoritative, but benevolent and clear. The Voice says. "Once there was time we had one language, we were a Sacred race- we connected with our Spirit Guides-we understood and worked with nature- we understood the spirits of our universe- the angels of the sky-we are calling you to come back home..... there is great evil in the universe - the same evil that tried to destroy our race, ages past- we are the ancient ones- WE ARE THE ANCESTORS - we exist in another dimension but we hold great magic and when the time is right and certain elements are brought together and certain planetary alignments occur, we can reclaim our power and help rid the universe of this great oppression forever - To help restore harmony and bring the universe back into balance. The reunification of 2 souls is crucial to opening and unlocking the secrets of our power-these souls were there at the beginning and will be there at the END of this cycle - At the birth of the new time. A wonderful era of Peace and enlightenment as the ancient ones foretold. The Dark One is ending his time and he knows it and will do anything he tan to prevent these changes. Purusha! We have watched you from birth. You will help us." Father Pepe is stunned into silent wonder on hearing this beautiful and mystical ancient voice. Pepe withdraws into deep meditation.

"We are the ancestors-we seeded on your planet with the permission of the Sacred spirit of your Earth Mother URTHMAK- long, long, ago- There was devastation and chaos on our home world (eons past) and our race was virtually destroyed-Cities and lands - families, Loved ones split. Broken. Some of our elders, and priests were left to try and preserve what was left of our science, culture and people - It is hoped that in the future, you’re present; we will find a way to unite our race again somehow, someway across the vastness of space and time."

Chapter 4

It is in the early hours of the morning Charlie and Dee are playing music together, jamming in a small nightclub. Charlie is looking a bit worse for wear as he slouches over his guitar playing in a clumsy way. Dee notices how down and depressed Charlie looks. Dee tries to put some life in the music with a bit of humor and pace. Dee is deeply concerned for his friend. The club is emptying out of people. In the smoky half lit cellar we watch the drummer and bass player pack up their instruments say their fare- wells and leave. Charlie pauses, lights a cigarette. Sips some whiskey and starts playing a strange yet simple little melody that has been haunting him. It is the melody he has pulled from inside his reoccurring dream. Dee accompanies Charlie as together they play the tune. Dee knows how deeply Charlie is troubled and knows that he has to get his friend help before it’s too late. The strange tune they play echoes through the empty nightclub. After their set, Charlie and Dee sit at a table and talk. Dee diplomatically tells Charlie about a therapist cum healer someone told him about that might be able to help Charlie with the strange dreams he has been having. After a while Dee convinces a somewhat reluctant Charlie to arrange a visit to Father Pepe the next day.

Later that night Charlie wakes from a vivid and disturbing dream. He sits bolt upright in his bed. Charlie's mind is buzzing with weird and strange images that he can't get out of his head. In confused anguish he thrusts his head in his hands and shouts to himself...."But I can feel her near to me - a woman-beautiful - Bella, Bella- who is she- is this some broken splintered memory; a cruel dream that grinds around and around in my brain- "Oh yeah."(Laughing at himself in a sardonic and self-mocking way.) "I've done them all- from bars to bars - Bella Bella... straggling fingers across the keyboard...looking, searching - another drink - no more, no more -- It only reminds me of somewhere I forgot to be - re- member me, remember me, remember me!" Charlie is distraught....

Chapter 5

On the Home World Planet, Kartikela, Bella and Lucretia with their crones and witches, shamans and families gather together to perform a sacred magical ritual. To honor their Gods, Goddesses and spirits of the dead. They invoke the protection and power of the Ancient Ones and all that is good and Holy in the Universe. After the great ritual Lucretia speaks to the crowd and blesses Bella, and closes the ceremony. There is great happiness and celebration at this auspicious time. There is dancing, laughter, and uplifting music.

A dark cloud rises up behind the hills beyond. Unseen by the assembled crowd skulking in the background is Dexus Tiranus and his henchmen leering with despicable loathing at the joyous scene below. This multi-dimensional morphing evil entity shows itself in many forms and guises but we see it here as a menacing fluctuating cloud hovering above the hills behind Lucretia and Bella and those gathered. They are dancing the witches dance of Love re-united'. Dexus pulls one of his ghouls to one side and whispers to him. They laugh in a demonic and chilling way. Dark rain clouds gather as a storm looms. A crack of thunder and ferocious rain breaks up the joyful scene below. The crowd scatters for cover.

Chapter 6

Inside Father Pepe’s shop. The doorbell rings and Pepe opens the door letting Charlie and Dee inside. They exchange pleasantries and Pepe leads them to a back room. It is dimly lit yet warm and inviting. The three men talk for some time then Dee leaves and Charlie and father Pepe enter into more serious conversation. Pepe asks Charlie to sit quietly and still. Pepe speaks soothingly to Charlie...." I can help you unlock some of these mysteries, try and remove some of the emotional sheaths-programmed layers of your Life - Life After Life-we will do this together - we will do this together-we will do this together -just sit and breath gently and deeply and we will begin- we will do this together, we will do this together-Pharaohs and exotic silks - sacred science and ancient mysteries - time travelling machines -portals in time in space - unlocking the secrets of your Lives- of your inner power-Beautiful landscapes - Beautiful Woman.....I see you ride the clouds, The Palaces of Veruna - we will do this together- we will do this together.

In the days that follow Pepe enters into a rigorous regime of spiritual disciplines with Charlie that continue for some weeks. Soon Charlie begins to feel more motivated and stronger. Pepe teaches him secret and ancient magical practices. The Occult and Mystical arts. Charlie's conscious- ness begins to change, revealing many aspects of his True power. Pepe teaches him ancient telepathic techniques. The ways of the Magi and Spiritual Warrior.

It is an uncommonly quiet night in the city. Charlie sits in the rubble of the city's once beautiful park. He looks up at the stars and ponders. He thinks of the girl in his dreams. He feels warm inside; he speaks and whispers silently to her, believing her to be close and that she can hear him. Amidst the crime, gang wars and violence of the city he feels strangely happy for the first time in many years. Charlie has an epiphany as he realizes that he is suddenly in Spiritual communion with Bella and their Souls touch at last across the vastness of space and time. His whole being feels as if it has turned inward on itself and transformed into a spiritual vapor. The vapor condenses and swirls around and enters inside his own heart. He experiences an incredible psychic and mystic communion with his True one. Bella who is on the Home planet far across the cosmos: He sings to the night sky. "Oh my love I will love you forever, Bella Bella you are my only one- I will wait for you my Love... Now I know, that you are Real- my Love is out there somewhere among the stars- I know that someway, someday-we will be together. Ah the time we spend, watching the skies, looking for signs. That can show us the way back to our sacred home. If it takes Forever... I close my Eyes- I feel you in my heart-we are now as One-united at last. On this most blessed of All Nights."

Chapter 7

Back on the home world we see deep into Dexus's underground lair. Some distance beneath his dark castle. It is a dank and foreboding place. Dexus is in counsel with one of his lieutenants. His right hand man. Grimagog. An awful looking creature, slimy and repugnant. Grimagog explains to Dexus of the necessity to capture and imprison Bella. Dexus replies and says that he will take care of her counterpart Charlie on Earth and has already put plans in place. They laugh together gleefully and menacingly as they launch their evil plot. Grimagog speaks. "My Lord, if these two souls are allowed to unite, then the balance of energies in our system will be disrupted forever and your hold over all Life in this quadrant will be jeopardized. The woman Bella must be destroyed. Dexus turns and faces Grimagog and with a deeply sinister and scornful growl he says. "Well see to it then. This galaxy has been and always will be mine".

Chapter 8

Back on Earth we see Dee and a much invigorated and more formidable looking Charlie in street combat with various crime gangs. There is havoc in the streets. Laser fire, gunshots, bloodshed, fighting and scuffles. Many lie dead and wounded on the pavements and streets. Charlie and Dee are being pursued by some large Ninja type gangland soldiers and after some violent and ferocious hand to hand combat Charlie and Dee find themselves having to retreat for cover in Father Pepe’s store. Pepe lets them in as they scurry into a back room.

Pepe tells them of his amazing discovery that lies deep beneath the old derelict central station. When the coast is clear the three men head out into the night and make for a disused street sewer cover at the side of the old train station. They force open the heavy metal cover and climb in. Charlie and Dee follow Pepe as they climb down several flights of stairs into an underground cavern. At the end of the cavern is a rusty old metallic door. It opens to reveal a strange alien elevator, covered from top to bottom with unusual and weird hieroglyphics and odd shaped symbols. Pepe waves his hand over some clear white crystals that are embedded into the inside surface of the door and the elevator starts to descend at great speed. The elevator takes them deep down within the Earth. As it stops Pepe leads the way as they walk out of the elevator. At the end of a long corridor they see to their utter amazement an immense room, full of weird and strange advanced alien technology. Monitor screens, off world technology of all kinds. Equipment, computers and machines. Pepe leads them to an adjacent underground hanger where sits an incredible alien spacecraft, some fifty feet in diameter. A staircase opens automatically underneath the ship and they enter. Inside the craft Pepe seems quite at home with the controls and layout of the cockpit and bridge.

As Pepe starts up the engines of the alien craft Charlie suddenly hears the Kakshisa theme in his head but this time it is a woman's painful, yearning voice that sings the tune. Charlie realizes that they have to somehow use the spacecraft to find Bella across the vastness of space. Pepe instinctively takes the controls of the alien craft. The whole ship lurches forward and then downwards then upwards again then forward through a huge tunnel that leads to an outlet of a river. The ship moves effortlessly through the water and out of the wide river estuary and up into the air. Dee sees out of one of the portholes, the Hudson Bay and outlying land, coastline and sea mass gradually disappearing from sight, shrinking from view. The ship claws its way stealthily onward and upward at ever increasing speed. The craft tilts on its axis as the engines throb and accelerate up to a tremendous velocity. The spacecraft weaves its way beyond the clouds, up and through the skies and beyond the upper reaches of Earth’s atmosphere, leaving the Earth far behind. They travel through Space at incredible speed. On reaching the Milky Way they approach Sirius and its companion stars. Pepe recognizes the Kakshisa portal. A time travel and interdimensional wormhole in space. As they enter the portal they hear the strange haunting melody beckoning them, calling to them. The whole craft shakes as if it is going to break into pieces. They all black out and in a matter of what seems like seconds they find themselves uncannily in orbit of Kartikela. The Home World.

As if being prompted by some invisible force Charlie cries out to Pepe who is at the helm to change course. Quite inexplicably he seems to know where he is, as he recognizes the terrain below. Pepe tells Charlie and Dee that when the ancestors spoke through him that they called this craft the MRAK. A craft that would take them through dimensions and space portals and even into the higher reaches of the spirit levels of the universe. The ship makes its descent through and into the upper reaches of the planet’s atmosphere. Suddenly they see mountainous terrain below them. Charlie cries out again. "Pepe down there. Down there".

In the depths of Dexus's castle we see poor Bella incarcerated by Grimagog's Grisslock army. They captured her during the night and brought her to this terrible place. Bella is lying semi-conscious on a cold and wet floor. Blood dripping from her full and delicate lips. She is bruised and battered, barely clinging to life. She moans Charlie's name - "Kela Kela"... she calls, cries and breaks down.

Chapter 9

Outside the battlements there is a fierce battle raging between the forces of light and Dexus's evil warriors of darkness. An immense battles rages on the land, on the seas and in the ethers and space that surrounds the planet. A Physical, psychic and spiritual battle rages on all levels of the home world. Above, below and beyond. A Cosmic war of terrifying and unimaginable proportions is let loose in the Universe. The Ultimate battle between the forces of good and evil. Charlie, Pepe and Dee join ranks with Bella's people, with the spirits of the ancestors and the witches and shamans of the Home world. They are entrenched in battle, fighting a devastating magical and physical war that rages throughout the heavens and the spheres.

In the dungeons of Dexus's castle, Bella raises her head as she lies dying. She manages to lift her battered body up from the dungeon floor and over to the prison window. She tries to call for Charlie through the metal bars of her cell, again and again. Her aching voice echoes in the damp cold cell. Bella hears thunderous explosions outside and sees the lights of magical laser beams screech in all directions across the sky. Through her tears, Bella hums the Kakshisa Cipher melody.

Some distance away from the castle lost in battle with the Grisslocks, Charlie suddenly hears that haunting melody in his head. The tune that he heard so often, over and over in his dreams back on Earth. At once the melody shifts his focus and attention. Charlie quite inexplicably realizes exactly where Bella is being held. Amidst the fierce battle Charlie gathers Father Pepe, Dee and Lucretia together and they make their way to the battlements of the castle. Eventually after some confrontations and skirmishes with the Grisslocks, they seek out Bella's cell. In the background outside the castle grounds, we see Dexus manipulating and ordering his troops. Snarling and spitting out his orders with an insatiable anger and rage. His denizens of gnarled faced soldiers and despicable mindless creatures and the dark fallen souls of the home world obey his every command.

Pepe tells Charlie as they make their way through the castle labyrinths, that in his clairvoyant communication with the Spirits of the Ancient ones, they told him that Dexus is and was the same horrific cosmic force that helped split and virtually destroy the home planet's people. The Kartekelians and their ancestors eons ago and is the self-same entity causing mayhem and havoc in the universe in their present time. Dexus’s awful influence and energy has operated on physical Earth as well as in the Home World quadrant.

On reaching Bella's cell and overcoming the guards Charlie, Pepe, Dee, Lucretia hear from an envoy from the battle raging outside the walls of the castle that the forces of Light are gradually overpowering and defeating Dexus's army. Charlie runs to Bella's side and holds her in his arms. They sigh and are overwhelmed by emotion that they are finally together. They are locked in each other's arms as the noise of the battle fades into silence. One of Lucretia witchy crones enters the cell and tells them that Dexus and Grimagog's horrific dark army is now finally defeated and that victory is theirs. Before they can even take in and savor the full significance of this momentous news, a deathly and ominous groaning roar is heard from far beyond the castle walls.

As they all look out of the prison window they see beyond the hills the monstrous and ghastly figure of Dexus rising above the trees in the distance. On his face is an expression of tormenting glee. A loud and ghostly voice rings around the scene as Dexus speaks. "There are always more people, souls, puppets and slaves and those willing to serve me to satisfy my needs. You have won nothing you fools. I am indestructible and have lived for thousands upon thousands of years. A terrible and fearful laughter erupts from Dexus's taunt and misshapen mouth. "I cannot be destroyed! Ha! Ha! It will never be over". An eerie silence follows.

Inside the jail cell Charlie and Bella are still locked together in embrace while Father Pepe and Lucretia ponder the ominous nature of Dexus's words. Suddenly Pepe closes his eyes as if in communion with the elder spirits. After a tense silence Pepe and Lucretia look at each other knowingly and then hurriedly leave the dungeon. Dee, Bella and Charlie follow.

As they climb down stairs that lead them to even deeper levels of the castle Pepe speaks to them. "The Elders tell me that the Kakshisa Cipher holds even greater secrets that I at first realized. Come with me." Deeper and deeper they descend the stairs, penetrating the catacombs below; into what seems like the very bowels of the planet itself. Finally Pepe opens a door that is set in the rock face. It leads them into a darkened room. The room is full of highly advance technological equipment.

Pepe looks around feverishly then finally rests his eyes on a strange alien looking machine that displays unusual yet distinct hieroglyphics. There are also specially carved crystals placed in what seems like a peculiar yet strategic formation. Lucretia holds the palms of her hands over each of the crystals in turn, each one emitting a single distinct musical tone. The Kakshis: Cipher rings through the room like some robotic alien computerized voice. As the last note resounds to everyone's surprise a large computer type keyboard slides automatically out from inside one of the rock faced walls. Pepe stands over the keyboard and goes into a trance. As he stands over the keyboard he sees that each key has a specific symbol and a number imprinted on it. After a frozen and anxious silence Pepe starts to type on the keypad. Pepe enters certain numbers and symbols.

E=5. F#=6. G#=9. A=10. A=10. G#=9. G#=9.
    B=12. A=10. G=9. F#=6. F#=6 .E=5. E=5.
    D#=4. E=5. F#=6. G#=9. G#=9. A=10. A=10. G#=9.
    B=12. A=10. G#=9. F#=6. F#=6. E=5. E=5.

As Pepe types in the very last code and digit on the keyboard, a huge and powerful vibration shakes the underground building. The walls and ground beneath their feet are rocking and shaking as machines and computers tumble and smash to the floor. It is as if they are sitting right on top of a deadly earthquake. Charlie calls to everyone to leave and they rush out of the room and up the stairwell. As they climb upwards explosions fill the air and the cracking of rock and earth are heard and felt all around and beneath their feet.

Outside we see Dexus's gigantic and monstrous figure begin to crack and break like some huge brittle clay toy. Dust and rubble fall to the ground as he groans and yells in chilling and desperate tones. We are watching the final death throes of a terrifying and gruesome life form, an entity supported and given life by a fantastic and phenomenal machine hidden deep within the planet's surface. We witness the demise of an awful and incredible evil creature that had been created by some alien technology from millennia past. By an incredibly advanced yet short sighted species that on sensing their own pending doom and destruction created this machine to maintain their own self-styled sense of order in the Universe. In the hope that one day they would return. Pepe, Charlie, Lucretia, Dee eventually reach the surface of the planet to find that an unerring but unsettling calm has descended upon the land. Dexus, his henchmen and armies have finally been destroyed. A dusty and choking atmosphere fills the surrounding area. The awful and tyrannical rein of Dexus is finally at its end. There is a peaceful yet eerie calm.

Chapter 10

Later that day a wonderful sense of expectancy and jubilation fills the air as an elated Lucretia calls joyfully to everyone -"Come, Enjoy the Night Your Heart will teach you- let the Celebrations begin". There are wonderful scenes of joyous celebrations and rapturous laughter that go on long in to the night. Behind the dancing and cheering crowds there are giant monitor screens depicting scenes from far across the galaxy and beyond. There are scenes from the planet Earth. Charlie and Dee are happily talking as they watch the clean-up of Old York City and various other similar scenes of transformation taking place in towns and cities across the Earth. We are witnessing the birth of a New and Golden Age throughout the Universe. Another stage in the next cycle of regeneration and enlightenment on the great cosmic wheel of Intergalactic Life, as the incredible and unfathomable future unfolds ever surely before us. Revealing yet another set of mysteries and experiences. LIFE entering into a higher vibratory rate. A new frequency of BEING in the never ending and sacred evolution of the Life Force and Intelligence we call the Universe. Charlie takes Bella in his arms and they smile lovingly at each other. They speak softly and tenderly as if of one voice. "We are now as One. Together at Last. Until the end of Time.. Forever as One... Always be Together."

THE END or THE BEGINNING

*Purusha- The main character from an earlier work entitled - "Purusha and the Spiritual Planet”

Copyright The Kakshisa Cipher (Two Worlds) - a story taken from an original manuscript - by Dave Davies and Russ Davies Copyright August 2010

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And here we go!

16. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Finished reading it - just point me to the dimension I need to teleport to to collect my prize.
    But maybe you do know Bella, just under her ancient Kartekelian name, :winkgrin:

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Well, just finished the Dave film, which I had not seen before, and right to todays track. And? I enjoyed them both. The song quite a bit. Not sure I learned all that much more about Dave that I didn’t already know, but I felt we got the real Dave, not someone behind a mask which I imagine I will feel if I ago back and watch the Ray film.

18. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Thanks Michael for putting the liner notes up. I think I’ve read every word of this thread up til here, but I might have to break my streak with those. I’ll see if others think they gained any insight into this record before I dive in.

19. Michael Streett

Congratulations! You win the contest which rewards a free trip to Kartikela with Dave next time he fires the engines up. Though I did hear his primary ship the SS Dave is in the shop under repair, so he has borrowed another one called the Jupiter 2 from some guy named Robinson.
    After I told him you won the contest, he sent this photo of this ship so as to alleviate any doubts or apprehensions:

[​IMG]

This ship also comes with the added benefit and comfort of having its own robot as seen in the picture and an on-board environmental psychologist along for the ride, a Dr. Smith, so no worries. What could possibly go wrong? Enjoy the trip!

And you win by maintaining your sanity :laugh:.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I dunno about this Dr. Smith character:

21. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Wasn’t his robot a “bubble-headed boobie”?

22. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I was hoping for the Enterprise given how big a Trekkie Dave is, but the Jupiter 2 will do, especially if I can get the Parker Posie Dr. Smith instead of the original.

23. Michael Streett

Yeah, well, you went there, and no, I did not collate this list myself over the years. Simply copied it from a website, but some of these are damn hilarious. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

• Addlepated Amateur (1)
    • Addlepated Armorbearer (2)
    • Arrogant Automaton (1)
    • Astigmatic Automaton (1)
    • Babbling Birdbrain (1)
    • Babbling Bumpkin (1)
    • Bellicose Bumpkin (4)
    • Blithering Blatherskite (1)
    • Blithering Booby (3)
    • Blithering Bumpkin (1)
    • Bookmaking Booby (1)
    • Bow your Bubble (1)
    • Bubble-headed Booby (9)
    • Bumbling Birdbrain (3)
    • Bumbling Bag of Bolts (1)
    • Bumbling Bucket of Bolts (1)
    • Bumbling Booby (1)
    • Bumptious Braggart (2)
    • Cackling Cacophony (1)
    • Cackling Canister (1)
    • Cackling Clod (3)
    • Cackling Coward (1)
    • Cackling Cuckoo (1)
    • Calamitous Clump (1)
    • Cantankerous Cold-hearted Clump (1)
    • Caterwauling Clod (1)
    • Cautious Clump (1)
    • Clod-like Collection of Condensers (1)
    • Clumsy Clod (3)
    • Clumsy Clump (3)
    • Computerized Clod (4)
    • Computerized Clump (1)
    • Confused Compass (1)
    • Cowardly Clump (7)
    • Cumbersome Clod (3)
    • Cumbersome Clump (1)
    • Defective Detective (1)
    • Demented Diode (1)
    • Deplorable Dunderhead (2)
    • Despotic Dunce (1)
    • Digital Dunce (1)
    • Digitized Dunce (1)
    • Dipety Dunce (1)
    • Disreputable Dunce (2)
    • Disreputable Dunderhead (1)
    • Doddering Dunderhead (1)
    • Elephantine Adam (and Eve) (1)
    • Ferrous Frankenstein (1)
    • Floundering Flunky (2)
    • Foolish Fop (1)
    • Frightful Fractious Frump (1)
    • Gargantuan Goose (1)
    • Garrulous Gargoyle (1)
    • Gigantic Gargoyle (1)
    • Great Goose (1)
    • Gregarious Gremlin (1)
    • Hard-headed Harbinger of Evil (1)
    • Hardware Hyena (1)
    • Hopeless Heap of Tainted Tin (1)
    • Hypotensive Hypochondriac (1)
    • Ignominious Ignoramus (1)
    • Ill-informed Ignoramus (1)
    • Incompetent Idiot (1)
    • Incompetent Imbecile (1)
    • Ineffectual Ineptitude (1)
    • Inept Idiot (1)
    • Infamous Informer (1)
    • Ingot of Ingratitude (1)
    • Insensitive Idiot (1)
    • Insipid Ineptitude (1)
    • Iron-born Ingrate (1)
    • Jabbering Jackanapes (1)
    • Jabbering Jeremiah (1)
    • Jabbering Judas (2)
    • Jangling Junkheap (1)
    • Juvenile Junk Pile (1)
    • Lame-brained Lump (1)
    • Lead-lined Lothario (1)
    • Lead-lined Lump (1)
    • Lilly-livered, lead lined lummox (1)
    • Lily-livered Lump (2)
    • Ludicrous Lump (3)
    • Lugubrious Laggard (1)
    • Lugubrious Lecture3 (1)
    • Lugubrious Lump (2)
    • Meandering Mental Midget (1)
    • Mechanical Meddler (2)
    • Mechanical Misfit (3)
    • Mechanical Monolith (1)
    • Mechanical Murderer (1)
    • Mechanized Maidservant1 (1)
    • Mediocre Medical Misfit (1)
    • Mental Midget (3)
    • Mess of Metal (1)
    • Metallic Monstrosity (1)
    • Misguided Mechanical Misery (1)
    • Misshapen Mummy (1)
    • Monstrous Mechanized Misguided ***** (1)
    • Monstrous Mountebank (1)
    • Nattering Ninny (1)
    • Neanderthal Ninny (2)
    • Negligent Ninny (1)
    • Nervous Ninny (5)
    • Nickel-plated Nincompoop (1)
    • Nickering Ninny (1)
    • Noxious Ninny (1)
    • Obsolete Oaf (1)
    • Oversized Oaf (1)
    • Parsimonious Puppet (1)
    • Pathetic Pomposity (1)
    • Pedagogical Pip-Squeak (1)
    • Plasticized Parrot (1)
    • Pompous Pig Squeak (1)
    • Ponderous Plumber (1)
    • Pot-bellied Prankster (1)
    • Pot-headed Prankster (1)
    • Preening Popinjay (1)
    • Presumptuous Pip-Squeak (1)
    • Presumptuous Popinjay (1)
    • Pretentious Popinjay (1)
    • Primitive Pile of Pistons (1)
    • Pusillanimous Pinhead (2)
    • Pusillanimous Pip-squeak (1)
    • Pusilanimous Puppet Season 1 e 5, 6:12
    • Pusillanimous Punka (1)
    • Quivering Quintessence of Fear (1)
    • Ramshackle Romeo (1)
    • Robust Rock Hound (1)
    • Ridiculous Rigmarole2 (1)
    • Ridiculous Robot (1)
    • Ridiculous Roue (1)
    • Ridiculous Roustabout (1)
    • Roly-Poly Rowdy (1)
    • Rusty Rasputin (1)
    • Sanctimonious Scatterbrain (1)
    • Scurrilous Scatterbrain (1)
    • Sententious Sloth (1)
    • Sickening Cybernetic (1)
    • Silly Sausage (1)
    • Silly Sloth (1)
    • Silver-plated Sellout (1)
    • Simple Simon (2)
    • Tarnished Trumpet (1)
    • Tin-plated Tinhorn (1)
    • Tin-plated Traitor (2)
    • Tintinnabulating Tin Can (1)
    • Tiresome Thesaurus (1)
    • Traitorous Tin Tabulation (1)
    • Treasonous Tyrant (1)
    • Tyrannical Tin Plate (1)
    • Unctuous Underling (1)
    • Ungrateful Underling (1)
    • Wobbling Weakling4 (1)
    • Worry Wart (1)
    Others
    • Aluminum Canary (1)
    • Assassin (1)
    • Automated Oaf (1)
    • Bloated Blimp (1)
    • Booby (1)
    • Bubblehead (1)
    • Bumbling Cracker Barrel (1)
    • Bungler (1)
    • Chattering Magpie (1)
    • Clod (2)
    • Clunker (1)
    • Coward (4)
    • Cybernetic Simpleton (1)
    • Cybernetic Septic (1)
    • Dunce (1)
    • Dunderhead (2)
    • Fiend in Tin Clothing (1)
    • Fugitive from a Scrapheap (1)
    • Ghoul (1)
    • Goose (1)
    • Hopeless Heap of Tainted Tin (1)
    • Hulking Mass of Mechanical Ignorance (1)
    • Incompetent Walking Ingot (1)
    • Judas (2)
    • Lagger (1)
    • Mealy-Mouthed Rogue (1)
    • Mechanical Dunderhead (1)
    • Meddler (2)
    • Metallic Ham (1)
    • Mr. Wrong-Way Computer (1)
    • Ninny (27)
    • Obsolete Piece of Scrap Metal (1)
    • Over-Cautious Concoction (1)
    • Overgrown Ninny (1)
    • Refugee From a Refuse Pile
    • Silly Goose (7)
    • Silly Old Ninny (1)
    • Sniggering Cinder Box (1)
    • Sorry Specimen of Computerhood (1)
    • Tin-plated Snitch (1)
    • Traitor (6)
    • Traitorous Tin-plated Fugitive from a Junkyard (1)
    • Troublemaker (1)
    • Uncultured Clump (1)
    • You clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  24. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Don't mess with Mr Streett, he's a friend of Bella's.

I read the whole story. Do I get a medal or something?

I listened to the album too, there seemed to be some nice moments. For some reason I think I enjoyed the first Purusha record better (spoiler: he's back!). But maybe it's more about timing than inherent quality.

25. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

The short story is a big clumsy compilation of SF and Fantasy clichés, but it does convey some vivid images. Wagner probably would make a better job at illustrating it musically (his stories are not much more subtle) but the cold blandness of the synth-based motives makes for an interesting contrast. I will need to be more in the mood for this to really appreciate it though. I don't really know when that will be.