The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The Kinks Preservation Act 1 180g LP

Here is one pre-order

2. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Oh nice! I just created a thread about them, interesting to see that it’s just a straight reissue, I would of loved to have seen some bonus stuff as well.

3. mark winstanley

Here are all four

Elusive Disc

I haven't tried to order them, because
    A - I can't afford them at the moment
    B - I don't actually need them
    C - I kinda like Steph, and I don't want to get into an argument over it lol

So they are there, but I didn't follow through to order

4. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Ray's 2010 Glastonbury set was shown on the BBC - don't know if it's the whole set. I have the broadcast archived to a hard drive, but as I'm a long way from home I can't watch it at the moment.

5. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

2010 Glastonbury

Will listen to the whole later this week when I have a minute (admission: I've been cheating on the Kinks over on the Bowie song-by-song thread), but just got revved for walking the picket line by Till the End of the Day. Man he really belts it out. His shouts out to the crowd, too - just pure energy. Really nice to hear.

6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Its notable how much older Ray looks in the 1997 appearance than the 2010 appearance! 1997 looks like a wet afternoon with a semi engaged audience waiting for someone else to come on whereas 2010 is like An Event. His stock had definitely risen in the intervening 13 years. And now it’s another 13 years on.

7. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

The Aschere Project was better than I expected. Its not my normal thing & I would probably have never sought it out, if not for this thread. A real cool unexpected listen! It doesn't really work, as a song by song, much more suited as a full continuous album listen imo. I will have to check out the Ray Glastonbury 2010 vids tonight along with the 1 97 clip posted.

8. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

On Denmark, I originally listed this a while ago in a list of future stuff strictly on the basis of a few tracks having had an official release (albeit later in the decade across 3 SDEs) so those were my only considerations with that concert.

If there is anything with an official audio release that cannot be found on YouTube, I can create and upload these as long as I know when they will be on the schedule and can plan ahead. I think we decided to hold these 2010 Denmark live tracks (and the earlier Choral Collection demos) until the SDE box sets they appeared on, so I'll have them ready by that time when those sets roll around.

On a related note, Dave's upcoming Mystic Journey DVD/CD has two new studio tracks on the CD with one of those being on YouTube already (New Dawn, New Day) but the other one (Pluto Muse) is not there so I'll go ahead and make Pluto Muse sometime this week and have it ready whenever it is scheduled for but I'm not sure if this is before or after the dates for your trip to Strail Ya :).

9. mark winstanley

Yes indeed.

In fact..
    Tomorrow we start See My Friends, and it will be the last album we do until I get back from Aus...

So I hope if you guys have something in mind for the 3-4 weeks, that it's coming together because I fly in two weeks :righton:

10. Michael Streett

Ha ha, well speaking of that...
    How many songs on your version of this album? If it's only 14, you are missing two that are not on YouTube (yet).

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Konfess your sins sir was this Bowie browsing brief or a full moon-age daydream? :hide:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  12. All Down The Line

Have we heard Denmark, Streett?

13. mark winstanley

I've done all 16, but the last two are live versions I think...

You might need to clean it up at the end, as I'm not going to get time :righton:

14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

It’s ironic that you’re the first one to cast Stones at poor Avid Brian X :laugh:

15. All Down The Line

They are only rolling so he can safely hop out of the way.

16. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Quick question guys. I had noted I had to check out Ray Davies: On The Record parts 1-11. Id like to go back and check these out. Do you remember where this fits in in our chronology whats it after and before next? It'll Just save me some time if anyone knows from memory?

17. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I think it was around Ray’s first 2 solo albums.

18. Michael Streett

No problems on this front. I just finished creating the videos for the studio versions for those two bonus tracks so these are ready to go when needed.

The real problems may arise as we start going through the album though :laugh: .

Just kidding, folks. Might be a fun (and funny) discussion in some surprising ways, and in some probably unintended ways, if you’re Ray.

19. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Just have to say that tonight's hotel is in Vernon BC half a mile from the Village Green Shopping Mall. I took a photo but am not fluent enough in phone to post it.

20. mark winstanley

If it's a phone you took the pic with, you join a file hosting site like Imgur (it's free) download the picture to it.
    You will have an option to share, and it will give you an option for forums.
    Post the link it gives you, and the photo is posted :righton:

21. mark winstanley

See My Friends

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Ray Davies
    Released
    1 November 2010
    Genre Rock
    Length 49:15
    Label Universal
    Producer Ray Davies and Martyn Berg

Chart (2010) Peak position
    Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria) - 55
    Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders) - 35
    Dutch Albums (Album Top 100) - 54
    French Albums (SNEP) - 154
    German Albums (Offizielle Top 100) - 50
    Scottish Albums (OCC) - 9
    UK Albums (OCC) - 12
    US Heatseekers Albums (Billboard) - 3
    1 Ray Davies & Bruce Springsteen– Better Things
    Bass, Backing Vocals – Will Lee
    Drums – Anton Fig
    Guitar – Sid McGinnis
    Guitar, Backing Vocals – Felicia Collins
    Piano, Backing Vocals – Paul Shaffer
    Vocals, Guitar – Bruce Springsteen

2 Ray Davies, Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora– Celluloid Heroes
    Bass – Will Lee
    Drums – Anton Fig
    Guitar – Felicia Collins, Richie Sambora, Sid McGinnis
    Piano, Organ, Harmonium – Paul Shaffer
    Vocals – Jon Bon Jovi

3 Ray Davies & Mumford & Sons– Days / This Time Tomorrow
    Banjo – Marshall Winston*
    Bass – Ted Dwane
    Piano – Ben Lovett (2)
    Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Percussion – Marcus Mumford

4 Ray Davies, Lucinda Williams & The 88– Long Way From Home
    Bass, Backing Vocals – Todd O'Keefe
    Drums, Percussion – Anthony Zimmitti
    Guitar, Backing Vocals – Keith Slettendahl*
    Piano, Organ – Adam Merrin
    Vocals – Lucinda Williams

5 Ray Davies & Metallica– You Really Got Me
    Bass – Robert Trujillo
    Drums – Lars Ulrich
    Guitar, Backing Vocals – Kirk Hammett
    Vocals, Rhythm Guitar – James Hetfield

6 Ray Davies & Paloma Faith– Lola
    Bass – Andrea Goldsworthy
    Drums – Samuel Agard
    Guitar – Seye Adelekan
    Keyboards – Dominic Pipkin
    Vocals – Paloma Faith

7 Ray Davies & Jackson Browne– Waterloo Sunset
    Guitar [Baritone] – Bill Shanley
    Vocals, Acoustic Guitar – Jackson Browne

8 Ray Davies, Alex Chilton & The 88– 'Til The End Of The Day
    Bass – Todd O'Keefe
    Congas – Chopper*
    Guitar – Keith Slettendahl*
    Organ – Adam Merrin
    Vocals – Alex Chilton

9 Ray Davies & Amy MacDonald– Dead End Street
    Bass – Dick Nolan
    Drums – Damon Wilson
    Guitar – Bill Shanley
    Piano – Ben Waters
    Vocals – Amy MacDonald

10 Ray Davies & Spoon– See My Friends
    Bass – Rob Pope*
    Drums, Percussion – Jim Eno
    Keyboards – Eric Harvey
    Vocals, Guitar – Britt Daniel

11 Ray Davies & Black Francis– This Is Where I Belong
    Bass – Dick Nolan
    Drums – Damon Wilson
    Guitar – Bill Shanley
    Keyboards – Ian Gibbons
    Vocals, Guitar – Black Francis

12 Ray Davies & The 88– David Watts
    Bass – Todd O'Keefe
    Keyboards – Adam Merrin
    Vocals, Guitar – Keith Slettendahl*

13 Ray Davies & Gary Lightbody– Tired Of Waiting
    Bass – Dick Nolan
    Drums – Damon Wilson
    Guitar – Bill Shanley
    Keyboards – Ian Gibbons
    Vocals, Guitar – Gary Lightbody

14 Ray Davies & Billy Corgan– All Day And All Of The Night / Destroyer
    Bass – Mark Tulin
    Drums – Damon Wilson
    Piano, Keyboards – Ian Gibbons
    Vocals, Guitar – Billy Corgan

15 Ray Davies & Mando Diao– Victoria
    Bass – Carl-Johan Fogelklou
    Drums – Samuel Giers
    Guitar, Vocals – Björn Dixgård, Gustaf Norén
    Keyboards – Mats Björke

16 Ray Davies & Arno (2)– Moments
    Bass – Dick Nolan
    Drums – Damon Wilson
    Guitar – Tim Van Der Kuil
    Piano – Ian Gibbons
    Vocals – Arno Hintjens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The album was recorded in Oslo, New York City, New Jersey, Chicago and London. Davies stated: "This project came about almost by accident, with some tracks I had to appreciate the style of the other artists, otherwise it would have sounded unbalanced. And I wanted the album to work as an entire listening experience but each track had a life of its own"

The album includes the last studio recording by Alex Chilton. See My Friends was released seven months after his death. He previously covered "Till The End of The Day" on Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers.

See My Friends was met with "mixed or average" reviews from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, this release received an average score of 51 based on 13 reviews.

Kinks biographer Rob Jovanovic writes that, following the 2009 album The Kinks Choral Collection and other projects in which Davies revisited his past achievements, See My Friends suggested "he couldn't leave it alone". According to Jovanovic, the majority of critics questioned the reason for the album. Among these reviews, Mojo gave it one star out of five, and dismissed Davies and Metallica's version of "You Really Got Me" as a "travesty".

In a review for AllMusic, Stephen Thomas Erlewine wrote: "A tribute album starring the man of honor himself, who also curated the whole affair, See My Friends is a bit of a curious creature. Certainly, Ray Davies' influence is so pervasive he could rope in a number of heavy hitters from a number of different generations." At American Songwriter, Michael Sandlin said "See My Friends proves, if nothing else, that there's simply no force on Earth malevolent enough to destroy a good Ray Davies ditty. CC Baxter of Clash explained: "See My Friends was a labour of love for head Kink Ray Davies, it feels like a personal journey through the past on his part, and a genuine tribute from those who've contributed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is an album that essentially I have no working knowledge of at all... Obviously I know the songs... but I don't know if I was aware of the album when it came out, and even if I had been, it is extremely unlikely that I would have been interested at the time.

As I say, that is no slight on Ray, just merely the reality that I am not generally interested in cover albums... and even with Ray participating in this, it seems more like an album of covers to me..... having said that, I'll approach it as all the rest of the albums here, and perhaps something will get traction with me... we'll see.

I'm not familiar with many of the artists, and many of the ones involved induce a sort of cringe in this environment.
    Prior to listening it seems like the Springsteen and Lucinda Williams tracks are the most likely to appeal to me, because Better Things seems like a song Springsteen would love to have written, and A Long Way From Home seems like it could suit Lucinda Williams.... but we'll see how we go.

I've not really got much more at this stage, so please let us know your thoughts regarding this release...
    Did you get it?
    What did you think?
    What do you reckon now?

It is interesting to me that the albums seems to have charted so well .... somewhat of a travesty when thinking how frequently the Kinks didn't chart.

22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

Ray and Bruce Springsteen - Better Things.

Here we have a Klassic Kinks track, and we open with Ray and then the two guys sort of alternate lines.
    Clearly both guys are past their prime vocally.

Musically this is solid and replicates the original pretty well.

I was ... and probably still am, a big fan of Bruce from Wild The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle through to the Tunnel Of Love album.

This is pretty cool, but I doubt I would listen to it again.

24. mark winstanley

25. All Down The Line

This is a black screen and says video is unavailable.