The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Count me in! I will try and follow along. One of my favorite bands. This should be a great discussion and another reason to play The Kinks every day.

2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Unfortunately I never saw them live. As a kid the kinks were one of the first bands I bought albums if, compilations of various labels of the Pye years. All the hits were there, but more interesting also (at the time) tracks that were less known.
    Much later when I started buying cds I got a better idea of their oeuvre. What was on which album, and how they developed as a band.

3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Oh, I’m very aware! Obviously it just depends how OP wishes to approach it, as starting with the demos might feel a little odd.

4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The Kinks are an odd band after all. They sound not too bad for demo recordings. Just got the box to check them, they were really early, 1963. Do you know if more material of that period has surfaced?

5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

goodiesguy, alchemy, fr in sc and 4 others like this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

There’s the Ravens RSD EP (unofficial) which has some other regent studios demos of what became the 2nd 45, and some instrumentals. I don’t know if that’s ever been released digitally? Not essential tracks for this thread though.

ajsmith, mark winstanley and EdwinM like this.
  7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

There's certainly nothing that early on Anthology 1964-1971, as the name suggests :D.

I've often wondered if it would be worth picking up Picture Book when I already have the studio albums with bonus tracks/discs etc - maybe those demos make it worthwhile?

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yes that was his brother David Quaife speaking in Nick Hasted’s book and according to him it was Dave Davies who was the perpetrator. That incident occurred about a year before Pete finally left, but it would have to have been a major contributory factor in his decision.

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Shortly after the box they started releasing the expanded cd's. I never checked if a lot of unique tracks are left.
    The 1963 demo is present as an extra on the debut album double cd.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Cant recall exactly, but as I recall there’s only a handful of Picture Book tracks that haven’t appeared elsewhere since, most notably the 5 LowBudget outtakes (as that’s never been reissued since the late 90s Velvel campaign). There’s also the ‘Come On Now’ session material which remains unique to the box. Think that might be it but happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The Kinks discography is a bit of a mess with these two boxes with a small number of songs not released elsewhere.

12. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Will this thread be including all the non-album singles and EP tracks? How about the give-away tunes?

13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

If you want to keep on track with the Pye singles and ep's accompanying the albums you might consider using the deluxe editions as a starting point. In most cases they are correct.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'll see what I can do. Even though I think the Kinks were more of a singles band up to 1966. Some terrific stuff but "Kinks" and "Kinda Kinks" are mostly standard boring 60's music, "Kontroversy" is better but from "Face To Face" onwards things are getting really interesting and looking good. Until "Think Visual" twenty years later.

Dave Hoos, BZync, Buddybud and 4 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I think I pretty much line up with this

moodyxadi, Buddybud and Neonbeam like this.
  16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

As best as is possible.
    We will be going through the singles and ep's and albums.
    I'll be going through tracks as they were released. So if there are songs that haven't been released, then folks can post them at the appropriate time.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

I appreciate the input on how to approach this guys.

We will be looking at everything that the band released.
    So we will be looking at the first couple of singles, then the debut album, and then some more singles, then I think it is the first EP etc etc.

When we do the albums, I think we will look at them through the lense of the deluxe/super deluxe reissues, that way the material is together in the thread, for context.
    In terms of non album compilations that came out later down the track, and contained previously unreleased tracks, we will look at those as we get to them in the timeline.

For the most part I kind of look at these threads as timelines of how it all came together, and when.
    I was in two minds about doing the deluxe bonus track as they were released later, but in this instance I think I will do them as we get to them.

Most sixties bands have pretty messy catalogs in terms of releases and when they came out, and all the various formats, but we'll get through it.

I'll post the first single and b-side tomorrow

Cheers
    Mark

21. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

I'm in!.. up to a point, my Kinks Kollection is a mere handful of albums and compilations. Nevertheless even on that basis I think Ray Davies was/remains the greatest my favourite pop songwriter of all..

Look forward to reading what people have to say. And a good excuse to add to the ever-growing CD wishlist. :)

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is going to be very interesting because I don’t doubt that there will be many contributions up to 1971. And again from 1979 onwards. It's the fascinating spaces inbetween.

But...hey... over the course of a year we managed to do a complete Duran Duran track by track thread. Sometimes it was pretty crowded. Sometimes the usual suspects were on their own. Let's go! :bdance:

23. mark winstanley

Yea, it is always interesting to see the amount of traffic during certain sections of a bands career.
    I suspect, some will drop out at the end of the sixties. Some will come on board in the seventies.
    It will be interesting to see how many folks join in with the "rock opera" period.
    Either way, we'll carry on regardless :)

CheshireCat, FJFP and Neonbeam like this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

alchemy, Adam9 and mark winstanley like this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Background to that incident?

Brettlowden and mark winstanley like this.