The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Mark I would love to hear Ray comment on your thoughtful synopsis!

Fischman and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I paid more when it was released lol! Seriously, it’s a very nice collection. I went back and counted earlier tonight, and there remain about 37 unique mixes/versions on this box that are only here or on other more expensive rarer sets like The Kinks In Mono box. Not even the later released Village Green and Arthur Super Deluxes rounded all of these up. That’s a pretty good ratio for a box set these days. Some of these are stereo mixes of singles that were done circa 2013/2014 by Andrew Sandoval that had never had a stereo mix.
    Agree with croquetlawns about the tightness of the discs in the sleeves, way too tight.

3. All Down The Line

I love that idea and it may even bring me to enjoy playing SE even more as I can and will accept End Of The Season as a finale and not let it be overshadowed as I watch the figurative curtain close as the grand finale sunset begins to wash over me and fully envelop my last half hours+ listening experiences with an exquisite summation!

mark winstanley and Fortuleo like this.
  4. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I’ll mention this too since it’s relevant. In typical Kinks fashion, the liner notes in The Anthology don’t always have everything properly identified as to what is previously unreleased/alternate mixed, etc.
    This post from years ago identifies everything correctly:

Kinks 50th Anniversary Box Set approaching with goodies....

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

They are the tightest-packed CDs I’ve ever bought: I transferred them to paper CD sleeves straight away to avoid further cursing and disc scuffing.

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Me too! I suspect that there are a few sets with tears around the CD openings by now.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW, mine are fine! I also got the replacement CD for the glitch in Two Sisters, which I keep in a CD Single case.

8. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Shouldn’t that be “only semidetached”?

9. All Down The Line

Little Women

Always really enjoyed this backing track, it's a little ethereal soundscape all on it's own and I could absolutely see it fitting a film soundtrack.

10. All Down The Line

Yes the Quaife interview was excellent and ended with heartbreaking poignancy with Pete saying the great thing the Kinks (uniquely for a UK 60's act) had going for themselves was all original members were still alive and were soon to record a reunion CD!
    Anyone know why it didn't happen?

11. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Doug Hinman's book says Little Women was recorded on 5 June 1967 in the same session they recorded Death of a Clown and Lazy Old Sun. Perhaps Little Women was overlooked because the other material at the time was stronger.

12. All Down The Line

Clearly those Brit-Pop, Indie & New Wave artists thought SE was timeless also!

croquetlawns, ARL and mark winstanley like this.
  13. All Down The Line

So do you think Ray was his good luck charm?

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Dave wasn’t up for it. Which I can understand cos at the time after finally losing his patience with Ray he was trying to concentrate on re-establishing his solo career. But seen with 20/20 it’s a real shame we never got a full originals album at this point, if only to finally give Pete more recognition and (you would hope) more artistic input.

15. All Down The Line

And a nice deserved financial boost i would imagine!

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I’ve often wondered if Pete, despite having quit the band, still received residual payments for things like CD reissues, percentage from ongoing record sales from the early catalog, etc. After all, he wasn’t a salaried employee like the various future Kinks, but part of the original “corporation.” Does an original band member give up that kind of thing when they decide to cease being an active member?

17. If he wasn't credited with any writing or arranging it's difficult to understand whether he would have collected anything residually - but I would doubt it.

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Roger Waters certainly didn’t give up his directorship in Pink Floyd. After he parted ways with the band, Gilmour and Mason formed a new corporation (Pink Floyd 87) that Waters doesn’t have anything to do with (unless the two corporations are cooperating). Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad still retains a vote in GFR’s affairs. He gets outvoted all the time but didn’t give anything up. So I imagine, but don’t know for certain, that Pete still gets a piece of the pie from his era. Just guessing, though.

19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I would assume performance royalties, kinda like Pete Best got from Anthology.

20. All Down The Line

Or they didn't get around to or were unhappy with their draft for a vocal?

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

well, Pete’s estate, perhaps.:hide:

mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes

donstemple and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I don't want to provoke a discussion about the songs or the album yet, but I do want to give folks who may not have seen it a chance to see this little documentary, before we get around to the Village Green album.
    I know we are just under two weeks away from the album, but I also know that on occasion it can often be difficult to find a spare 70-75 minutes in our crazy little worlds.

So this is an Echoes of the World special called the Making Of the Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society ... I think it may give some perspective to some of the folks here that may not be as familiar with the album as most of us probably are. It has a quick run up of how the band got to the point where we arrive in 1968, and then looks at the album and its songs.
    We have Ray, Dave and Mick giving their impressions about it all, and we also have Paul Weller (Jam, Style Council), Noel Gallagher (Oasis), Graham Coxon (Blur), Graham "Suggs" Mcpherson (Madness), Andy Partridge (XTC), Natalie Merchant (10,000 Maniacs), Steve Cradock (Ocean Colour Scene) and several industry type folks putting their two cents in.
    It is pretty well put together, and I just thought that some folks might like a prequel to the album by checking this out...

Like I say, I don't want to get into the songs or album yet, I just want folks to have a chance to check this out before we get there, if they are interested.

Cheers
    Mark

The Quiet One, zipp, Amnion and 16 others like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

On second thought: Pete may have quit before industry-wide recognition of the importance of a brand. Maybe it was just sayonara in the pre-80s.

25. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I would like to concur, it's a very good documentary & I wish that it was included in the VSPS deluxe box set.