The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I guess that's like calling a house a good fixer upper lol

It's really code for this album sounds f.....
    Whoops I can't say that

2. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

He probably thought he’d have a foolproof title next time with “Days” but then they went ahead and listed it as “Day’s” instead. D’oh!

3. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

They were invited as far as I know but chose not to attend. Probably because there was no appearance fee. It would have been a big boost to their career in the US.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

So the ban was lifted in 68?

5. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I once read that Pete wrote 'Daze' on the tape box which so infuriated Ray that an argument ensued.

6. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I cannot be certain of the date but, according to Rogan, the Kinks were invited but Ray possibly declined because there was no money in it. I'm not at home right now so cannot confirm. The ban must have been lifted if Rogan is correct.

7. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Also from Johnny Rogan’s book: “I’m still trying to justify that album now,” Davies joked, over a decade later. “I think it was a good example of what it was like at a rock concert then. It may have ‘historic’ value. You’ve got to understand that for two or three years I never heard myself playing. No monitors … and with the audience, it was just a wall of sound … the pressure was enormous.”

We all know the Beatles retired from touring after 1966 for that reason (with more noise and pressure of course).

8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

It is if you're a Ferengi

[​IMG]

ARL and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

While hardly definitive, Wikipedia says the inability to get work visas is what nixed the Kinks’ appearance at Monterey. Donovan and the Stones were also thwarted by visa issues, in their cases due to drug busts rather than union problems.

10. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

That's my thought. The mics seem to be the same Neumann U87s that Pye used in studio, and the stands they're on match those in photos from Pye's Studio 2 at ATV House. I think it's likely that those mics are the recording mics -- hence my concern about all the extraneous reverberation, which was probably added during the mixdown stage. This could be an amazing live album if we could only clear away the muck and hear it more clearly.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I too am a nicotine fiend...and I still roll my own.

12. mark winstanley

Yea, speculation that there are original recording tapes somewhere seems unlikely (although I hope it's true) because surely while they were messing around with reissues and remixes, they would have given this a better release.

13. tables_turning

Even pre-production working copies would suffice, as long as they didn't already have the extra reverb printed to the tapes.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D

15. tables_turning

(I've been doing a copy/paste into the text field for images -- is that not the preferred way to do it?)

16. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

The only criterion is if it works. It may be that the most difficult way of posting an image is to use the [​IMG] function.

17. mark winstanley

That's what I do

18. mark winstanley

I reckon it is.
    Click on an internet image, select copy picture/image (whatever it is lol), paste on the page

19. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

As I said before, I think that there's at least one more song that got cut from the album. At the end of the medley on side two, you can hear the beginning chords of "Beautiful Delilah", then you hear Ray thanking everyone for coming over, the end.

20. mark winstanley

I was meaning more for remixing the whole thing. Extra tracks with considerably better sound would be ideal.

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I out and out love Kelvin, warts and all. It's a great souvenir of the times, was in print in the US when albums like Face to Face weren't, or were impossible to find (meaning the only way to hear some of the songs), and the photo on the Reprise cover is badass! I will always hold out hope for a reissue - not sure if it was Andrew Sandoval or Russell Smith who'd worked on one, but I think the latter.

22. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

The difficulty is when you have your own image to post, rather than just wanting to link an image already on the web.

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  23. tables_turning

I seem to remember there was possibly more than one performance recorded that day -- they probably took what they felt were the best cuts from both shows and assembled one "performance" from those cuts.

CheshireCat and DISKOJOE like this.
  24. mark winstanley

It seems to me that if they can, bring the boosted crowd down, removing the delay/reverb, and we get a much more listenable album.

I guess I sound a little harsh towards this album this morning ..... I think it is great to have something from this era, and I can certainly understand how, particularly US, fans would have been very glad for the release, but it is a bit of a shambles from an audio perspective...

I think for me coming later, my experience was very different.
    I bought those 2008? reissues pretty much all at the same time, and being a lover of live albums, I probably put Kelvin Hall on pretty quickly..... my memory isn't fantastic, but i get the feeling that Kelvin Hall damaged my first impression of sixties Kinks, having come from the seventies and eighties albums. I listened to all the albums, except the debut, but i think i failed to connect or listen properly because of the impression that album left me with....
    A little naive in some regards to sixties live albums, but now, having really listened to these albums properly i can't help but be annoyed about this live album....
    If any of that makes sense.

25. mark winstanley

Definitely