The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Great track

2. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

A Long Way From Home did not make my list, but listening again, and reading its biggest fan’s take on it, particularly the reprised one from @donstemple, have convinced me that I’ll have to put it on my personal top 100. There’s much more going on in the song musically than I remembered. I have a really nasty cold, so peace out.

3. mark winstanley

Hope you feel better soon mate

4. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I think I described my real-life job in our phone call, and part of it involves Forecasting. Not the weather per se, but weather does play a vital role and controls consumer behavior for manufacturers in my industry, so the mindset to always be doing this whether (heh) in my occupation or my hobbies is second nature to me. One proverb I was told early on in my career was that "Forecasts are always wrong until proven right".

Russell Smith posted as much a few months ago when this topic reappeared as it does every so often in the thread. Whatever the reason, it's hard to understand the logic be it from the label(s) and/or from Ray, whomever is responsible, and it's even harder to justify.

I guess I should have provided a few more details, huh? :laugh:, sorry about that! Here's another way of looking at just the basic pattern at the start of the song without going any further into the variations as the song progresses through its changes (I don't think anyone here would tolerate that), if you can read my scribble (hands snare part on top, feet bass drum and hi-hat on the bottom):

[​IMG]

That should clarify things, ha ha. It reads and looks more complicated than it actually is. Listen to the first couple of bars of the song once the drums come in and see if you can follow and see/hear this.

What's funny about this stuff is that it's harder to describe with the written word or transposing it to sheet music than it is to just sit down behind the kit and just play it. An ironic, interesting, and loony paradox.

5. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

If my post made just one person consider raising this song up a few spots on their personal list, then it was all worth it!

Feel better, Paul, you runny-nosed and scruffy kid!

6. Someone-Else

Someone-Else Forum Resident

A Long Way From Home - I somehow failed to find a spot for this achingly tender admonishment. I believe my combined lists had 5 Lola tracks. Two of the leftovers made my next list, but neither is this song. Thank you, @donstemple , for your beautifully expressed appreciation of your all-time favourite Kinks track.

7. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

A Long Way From Home

This is such a beautiful track. I really like how the instruments are layered upon each other and how each member contributes so much to the overall feel. Then there are Ray's lead vocals and Dave's harmonies in the choruses, they both sing with so much heart and commitment. The lyrics are top notch and it really adds new dimensions that Ray wrote it from his and Dave's father's perspective, reminding them to not forget their roots and to keep their feet on the ground. I hear this song as a companion piece to "Get Back In Line", with that song being influenced by Ray seeing their father in the dole queue and this song reflecting their father's perspective of following their musical career with care and concern, aware that the music world can be fickle and doesn't really offer job security for musicians - success can be fleeting and there can be a lot of fair-weather friends too. Lovely song!

markelis, TeddyB, Brian x and 21 others like this.
  8. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

What a wonderful archive of information here that has developed these last few years. Someone should turn the highlights about every song into a book. @donstemple would have this piece included.

9. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I can hear him complaining now. 15 gallons of gas here would be roughly £100 - or about $125.

10. mark winstanley

=60 Sitting In The Midday Sun
    1973 Preservation Act 1
    263 points
    On 12 lists
    3 top 10

This came in at 119 for me on my big list... in fact interestingly 5 Act 1 songs in the space of 9 places here....
    A great album, full of great songs. It could easily be another band's best album, but these Kinks lads.... who are apparently a singles act lol ... made some of the best albums going

=60 Berkley Mews
    1970 b-side
    263 points
    On 12 lists
    3 top 10

The Lola b-side that eventually made it onto The Kink Kronikles didn't make my list.
    I like the song, but it didn't roll into my 176 favourites.

=60 (I Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman
    1979 Low Budget
    263 points
    On 12 lists
    3 top 10

Superman came in at 83 on my big list, and so missed the cut for both lists. I had six Low Budget songs rated higher.
    Great track, no qualms from me with it being on the list. Like I said a lot earlier on in the countdown, a lot of tracks from the Arista era got a lot of split votes, because we all seem to have different favourites from that era... whereas generally speaking, there seems to be more of a consensus for the Pye era.

markelis, Smiler, Brian x and 19 others like this.
  11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes I recall your industry and if you're fishing for condiments i think we can drum some up once we find an Avid that's on the same time signature. :wave:

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

With 0 of 3 today i feel things are back to normal and my regular transmission vamp has been restored.

I know Sitting In The Midday Sun is a favourite but main vocal hook/s aside it doesn't grab me as being on the same level as their more irresistible pieces but i appreciate it being an accessible song and arrangement that's Simple In The Midday Sun.

Berkeley Mews may be less accessible but it's certainly more kinky in every sense of the word and I like Ray's oddness here so it was considered by me for the Top 80.

Initially my stance was that i didn't like this song and riff before mellowing into; "I wish I could like Superman on the fly!"
    I can enjoy it now and actually love hearing it when viewing that unofficial animated clip featuring the Quaife era band members.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  16. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Sitting In The Midday Sun"

One of the sad things about me shunning most of the RCA albums for 30+ years was that I missed out on this song, but at least I have it now! Maybe it wouldn't be such a great song if you took away that bridge, but why would you do that?? It's one of Ray's greatest ever bridges. I was somewhat surprised that this didn't make the initial top 40 - it was #16 in my original list, but up to #3 in the second list. This really was the hit single that got away for The Kinks.

"Berkeley Mews" - great song, and - as I've commented before - an effective full stop on the Pye era (it wasn't the last song released, but it is the last track on the Well Respected Men compilation). Didn't make either of my lists though.

"Superman" - this one was made to be a hit single at the end of the 70s, and as such it's very successful. It's an amusing lyric from Ray, but overall not a track that I particularly love.

markelis, Smiler, Brian x and 20 others like this.
  17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Three for three today! Superman in its 12” version of course.

StefanWq, markelis, Brian x and 18 others like this.
  18. mark winstanley

19. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

of course! Let me be the one (re) posting it, then.
    (Mark being Mark, he had to post the One for the Road version!)

This is the follow up to Ray’s other hypochondria tune Complicated Life, it has the Moroder-lite Heart of Glass intro, the infectious proto-disco beat, a direct nod to the feverish Bee Gees, fantastic guitars and some more comedy lyrics, like Ray'd made a specialty for himself in the Low Budget era. If I take the bulk of pseudo-disco songs made by rock artists in the 1978/1979 time frame, this one proudly stands its ground as a… great pop and rock single! In the aftermath of the Superman film success, this should’ve been a worldwide hit… or a SNL sketch. Or both!

StefanWq, markelis, Brian x and 21 others like this.
  20. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I feel bad about clipping an excerpt from such a brilliant post, which surely ranks among the finest on a single song on this thread. But this line made me wonder if someone in power was looking at the thread for a title for the latest series of Kinks Kompilations. You've certainly hit the nail on the head.

As for me, I'm in Disgrace. Not the song - just the feeling. I've checked and double-checked my lists and can't find A Long Way From Home. What was I thinking? It's a beautiful song and I'm glad enough Avids recognised it so we got to read @donstemple's views again.

As for the latest songs, I certainly had Berkeley Mews ("I staggered through your sh*tty dining room") and Sitting in the Midday Sun. I love them both. And while I also like Superman, it's just a bit too (pseudo) disco for me to enjoy repeated listens.

StefanWq, markelis, Smiler and 20 others like this.
  21. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

60) Berkeley Mews (263) >67
    60) Sitting In The Midday Sun (263) =60
    60) (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (263) >89

We fill three more spots, these being #20 through #22 on our 2nd top 40 list. All three share the distinction of receiving 263 points as well as appearing on the same number of lists with the same amount of top 10 showings. "Sitting In The Midday Sun" is yet another song that showed real inertia, remaining steadfast in its same position across both of our top 40 surveys. I had "Berkeley Mews" at #21 this time, and "Superman" at #15. That brings me to 5 out of 21 in the bottom half of our new top 40, resulting in #60 through 80. We have 19 more to go.

I like to lay this all out mainly just so I can keep daily track of it, since it seems pretty complicated.

60) Berkeley Mews (263) >67 #21
    60) Sitting In The Midday Sun (263) =60
    60) (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (263) >89 #15
    63) A Long Way From Home (262) <49
    64) Holiday Romance (260) =64
    64) Looney Balloon (260) <58
    66) Sleepwalker (257) >111
    67) Fancy (238) =67 #12
    68) Did Ya (236) >98
    69) Brainwashed (234) >106
    70) Stop Your Sobbing (228) <55
    71) Harry Rag (225) >137
    72) You Make It All Worthwhile (220) <56 #17
    73) People Take Pictures Of Each Other (219) <61
    74) Starstruck (217) <69
    75) Moments (215) <73
    75) Rainy Day In June (215) >90 #20
    77) Big Black Smoke (207) <62
    78) Father Christmas (206) >100
    79) I Go To Sleep (200) <77
    80) Destroyer (198) >112

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    StefanWq, markelis, Brian x and 19 others like this.
  22. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

For some reason I absolutely love this. Nothing else in my "life playlist" sounds remotely like it. I like the 4 different versions in this order: #1 US 12" extended mix; #2 UK 12" original extended mix; #3 One For The Road live version; #4 plain old ordinary album version.

StefanWq, markelis, Brian x and 17 others like this.
  23. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Berkeley Mews. We've covered this one extensively in the course of the Thread, most recently when @Steve62 featured it as part of his “the great ones that got away” series, during the first Kountdown. That's one more deep kut that gets a slot in our list because of its stellar quality but also (me thinks) because it was on Kronikles, therefore not such a deep kut for many Avids who got introduced to the Kinks with that set. It's a weird situation, in which a few tunes (this one, This Is Where I Belong, Mindless Child of Motherhood, God's Children) hold klassik status for some and were long regarded as legendary lost treasures by others. But of course, both klassiks and legendary lost treasures are most welcome in this 100 songs overview anyway.

I love how this track merges the vaudeville/saloon vibe of the piano + singing and the heavy meaty riffin' underneath. It’s like the two key aspects of the band’s sixties sound merge for once, whereas it’s usually two very separated styles in the band’s output. This internal contradiction/balance/hesitation makes the song for me. That and how they help telling the story of this undesired sexual proposal/encounter. Was it gay or was it straight ? I remember we had a discussion here about the gay theory when we first covered the song – and it being rescued from its 1967 origin to become Lola's b-side could sustain that claim. But it wouldn't change much in my view. To me it's just about a drunken guy with no sex in mind being lured in by a rich person (emphasis on the social status, whatever the gender) to a decadent household and getting increasingly uncomfortable when that person's true intentions start unfolding. “I thought you were an intellect". Alway loved that line!

StefanWq, Smiler, Brian x and 19 others like this.
  24. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

“Sitting In The Midday Sun” was on my list at #14.The other two songs, despite their deserved merits, weren’t on my list.

25. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

60 Sitting In The Midday Sun
    (unranked)
    A very close call for me.

Hard not to picture a man in a top hat and cane doing a soft shoe dance routine around a young lady on an old wooden vaudeville stage.

Not my thing.... and yet I love this song.

60 Berkley Mews
    (unranked)
    Hooky and fun, but just didn't quite make my list

60 (I Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman
    (unranked)
    I took a strong liking to this song on One For the Road. I never quite warmed up as much to the studio version.