The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Despite the fact that didn't make the charts, Reprise kept VGPS in print up through & including the CD era.

"like Astral Weeks, no one had ever done anything that sounded like this before"

Astral Weeks came out on WB Records here in the States around the same time & also didn't trouble the charts, but remained in print again through the CD era.

VGPS and Astral Weeks were two of the many albums that Warners/Reprise Records put out between 1968-1973 or so that weren't exactly Chartbusters, but became cult
    items, like those from Captain Beefheart, Van Dyke Parks, Randy Newman, the Fugs, and even the Greatful Dead.

Also, it seems that the Kinks and the Beach Boys were running parellel tracks between 1966 & 1970, both former top singles bands struggling in the new album market while releasing interesting & idiosyncratic material during that time. Both bands even shared the same label in 1970 (Reprise) although the Kinks did better sales wise that year.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘Echoes Of A World’ is a great documentary. However, the one thing I don’t like about it is the decision to have the actor who played Ray in the Sunny Afternoon musical performing expositionary paraphrases of where Ray’s head was at at the time. I mean I kind of understand why this was done from a story telling POV as there is a dearth of contemporary interview footage, and even though he’s interviewed, the Ray of today comes across as too frail/laconic to tell the story, but here’s the thing: the actor playing the young Ray is probably round about the same age Ray was in 1968, (24!) but doesn’t he seem so much younger? Or more to the point, didn’t Ray in 1968 seems so much older and worldly wise? Despite his working class origins, Ray just never was the Paul Weller esque Angry Young Man type the way the actor portrays him, he was always an old soul with a more eccentric attitude.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yet more sales thoughts: I’m fairly certain that I’ve read that a high percentage (was it 70%?) of an album’s sales are normally within a fairly short period of time after release. Certainly within a year. Yes, there are exceptions, but that’s when the bulk of sales happen (like Frampton Comes Alive). The Velvet Underground and some others fit into the exception category.

4. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

For those in the UK, I think this documentary is on Sky Arts again next Friday night.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I believe this was my first Kinks album which was bought roughly 30 years ago. This album cover hangs in a frame above my turntable. I happen to love the album cover with The Kinks in orange and the psychedelic swirl. It has been framed and hung in many of my apartments in the last 30 years! I also have the mono version from The Kinks collection which I will be playing today. I remember having a mixed tape with several of the songs on it that I played until it basically disintegrated. The songs I recall being on it were "Village Green", "Starstruck", and "Big Sky". I can't remember if I made this compilation or if my cousin made it for me. This was around the time I really started collecting vinyl and making mixed tapes with all my favorite songs. It holds a special place along with a few other 60s albums I was getting into at the time. When many of my high school friends drifted from punk and new wave into grunge and industrial, I headed backwards into the 60s. I would much rather listen to The Small Faces, The Kinks, and Love over Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, and Pearl Jam.

This album along with Forever Changes and Odessey and Oracle remain three records that I still easily place in my top ten albums, maybe even top five! Even after 30 years this record sounds as amazing and just as exciting as it did all those years ago. This is the album that turned me into a Kinks fanatic. It's odd to think that it didn't do well upon initial release, but neither did Forever Changes or Odessey and Oracle. Sometimes it takes the world a long time to catch up with this kind of brilliance.

Now I am tempted to get the deluxe box set even though I don't really need it and can't afford it! I have a feeling that by the end of this discussion I will be pressing the buy it now button!

6. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

that is probably why they are my two favorite bands. we are all trying to get by, adjusting as best we can, aren’t we?

FJFP, mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

If it does interest you, I would pull the trigger sooner than later.
    Arthur is already sold out, and due to an obsessive nature ... :(:oops:o_O:) ... I decided I needed it.... I hunted high and low for a decently priced copy, and fought myself over it a lot, but ended up having to part with $200+ to get essentially a $70 item... it's scary to think how much The Village Green will cost when it becomes extinct.

8. palisantrancho

Aaarrgh! You are not helping! :winkgrin:

You are certainly correct though. It’s $130 right now online. The original price was $70? It will soon be 10 times that much. I’m sure glad I bought the mono collection. That was a steal at the original price and now it’s over $500.

9. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

Probably the greatest album ever made.

I change my opinions on music a lot, but I will consistently swear by Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, VGPS, Something Else and Piper at the Gates of Dawn as my top 5. You can probably permute those based on time of day etc. and I usually go to Something Else more, but VGPS is the perfect follow-up and a perfect album all around.

I love the production. It's every bit as inventive as what The Beatles were doing at this time, but unlike The Beatles' work it doesn't jump out at you. None of the instrumentation or arrangements feel contrived. And even though they can all be (and have) been interpreted differently, the way they appear on the album is so natural. Obviously my obsession with 60s pop gives me more than a little bit of a bias, but I don't see how anyone can complain about the sound. And the songs all flow together seamlessly yet they all sound so different. Others have mentioned how the album is a vignette and character sketches, and I think that describes it perfectly.

But what really matters is the songwriting. VGPS has more hooks than a fisherman's kit bag. Every song is just so memorable and catchy. It's the perfect balance of accessibility and innovation. And that beautifully echoes the mantra of the album doesn't it? Preserving the old ways... protecting the new ways...

The only complaint I could possibly have with this album is the cover. To be honest, I don't really care for any of the Kinks' album covers ... especially from the classic era. And to be fair, I imagine the Kinks' managment probably had a hard time thinking of how to sell their music: The Kinks pretty clearly voiced their distaste for psychedelia, and by 1968 every big pop group had some sort of technicolor extravaganza gracing their covers, so I can only imagine how much harder your job would be if your clients wanted exactly the opposite of that. There are some really great photos of the band at this time, but I really don't know what I would have done differently if it were my decision to make. The Swedish pressing of the album has the best cover art, imo.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

11. mark winstanley

I think Arthur was about $70.... it is a lot smaller, and no records.

Obviously I'm not going to twist your arm, because I certainly understand the financial dilema.... I think the Village box started around $150, now down to about $130.... I have no idea how many they pressed, or how long they'll last... merely that if you are leaning that way, sooner is likely better than later.

I shouldn't have bought any of the four.... but alas, I am a weak man when it comes to music :)

12. palisantrancho

What are the 4? I only know of Village Green, Lola, and Arthur.

Are you very happy with the Village Green box? For anyone that has it what is the best part about it? I already have a stereo and a mono vinyl copy and the 3 cd Sanctuary deluxe version that came out in 2004.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

The Anthology set is in the same format, so I'm counting that....

I think I'll take another hit this year if Muswell Hillbillies comes out! .... I won't be able to resist that one.... I hope it has the video

14. DISKOJOE

I'm very happy w/the Village Green box. There's at least 1 or 2 CDs of new material (BBC & studio out takes). The only thing I don't care for is how the CDs are mounted. You have to make sure that the middle of the CD is fully within the rubber mount or they will fall out. I also got the Arthur box set w/reservations since it does have the Dave Davies material, but I opted to get the Who Sell Out deluxe set instead of the Lola one because the latter didn't include Percy and Sell Out is almost at the level of VGPS to me.

15. mark winstanley

I've generally found those to be quite good, but you do need to get used to them.

FTD, the Elvis collector label, used them quite a bit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    DISKOJOE likes this.
  16. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

Yep! That's the one!

I guess the gray nature of it isn't too exciting but I think it could have been cool if they colorized it... kinda like Bowie's Hunky Dory. Ray said at the time he was really into old movies and (though i guess not very old at the time) technicolor and all that could have made for an interesting visual effect.

17. DISKOJOE

You're an Elvis fan? A good friend of mine is one. Did the Graceland thing w/him twice.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

Yea, I love some Elvis.... I even like most of the (shock, horror) soundtrack albums... we ran an Elvis discography for about two and a half years. Elvis Is Back and From Elvis in Memphis are apt to mention here, because they too sold much less than they should have, for the quality of those two albums.
    I finally went to Graceland in 2019. It's pretty cool.... it feels kind of weird going round his house though. Interesting decor :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Probably Disc 3 with alternate mixes of almost all of the tracks.

20. DISKOJOE

It's a bit surprising to me that Ray didn't have any songs done by Elvis since they shared the same music publishers, so that there were no problems on that score.

I went on the 20th Anniversary & the highlights included see Carl Perkins play near where Jeff Buckley died several months later & seeing the first "Virtual Elvis" concert w/his live band. D.J. Fontana was great, as well as hearing D.J. Sumner do the lowest bass singing I have ever heard.

Going back to the Kinks, when this thread comes to the Muswell Hillbilles era, I'm going to show how Ray aped live Elvis around that time.

21. mark winstanley

Tom Parker had Elvis locked in a box...

Elvis could certainly have done some excellent versions of Ray's songs.

22. seanw

seanw Forum Resident

I do wish this record had better sonics--Arthur sounds a noticable step up from VGPS--but happily that doesn't detract from the songs or the performances. Stand out tracks for me are the title track, Picture Book, Big Sky and Animal Farm. Looking forward to discussing those.

I do like the cover. While I can that it isn't necessarily representative of the music within, the band look so cool. Before I knew better, I assumed Mick was the band leader based solely off how badass he comes over in the photo.

23. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

A nice shot of the group in performance from around this time:
    [​IMG]

24. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Arghhhhh...I pulled the trigger and I blame Mark and others for this purchase.:p But it's been in my Amazon cart for like 6 months and I just had a nice evening out and I say I deserve this. I'm grabbing it while I can.
    I do adore this album, so no regrets!

Adam9, Jon H., CheshireCat and 9 others like this.
  25. palisantrancho

Ha ha! I'm also close to pulling the trigger! If I have one more beer there is no telling what I may purchase! I just picked up the 5 LP Zombies- In The Beginning box set a few days ago and might need to wait a few weeks before the next big purchase. Wish I would have kept my eye on this Kinks box. It appears it was available for $65 last year, but I think those days are long gone. Let us know how you like it when you receive it!

CheshireCat and mark winstanley like this.