The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Indeed. A telescope lives In that green observatory displayed on my avatar and I can confirm that my eyes are not what they once where either. :shake:

2. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

The Village Green Preservation Society
    What a great foundation stone for what is to come. This song is a statement of intent and possibly the world's most passive protest song: what more can we do except pray to God.
    Ray said at the time that it would be a nice idea to sum up in one song his feeling about preserving things (Melody Maker, November 1968, as reprinted in Uncut magazine's Ultimate Music Guide). I don't know whether it's ironic or not, but Ray has also suggested over the years that his love for preserving traditional things isn't so much so that he can enjoy them (though I'd bet plenty that draught beer is an exception) but to take comfort in the knowledge that they are still there. I have to say I'm a bit like that myself.

Also, I do think the rhyming of the lyrics is very cleverly done - which is something Noel Gallagher highlighted in that documentary Mark recommended. All up, the perfect opener to this record.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Lol .... the decline of my physical being is quite remarkable. My eyes, ears, knees, neck, back, wrists, elbows.... I guess that's what comes of using my body as a battering ram for 53 years lol.... sadly my tongue still has the capacity to work like a razor blade or machine gun..... depending on the circumstances lol

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Forum Resident

Not long till we get to 'Where Did My Spring Go?', a song you should really be able to relate to!

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Mark, I think I have a cure for those symptoms. If you feel a bit under the weather, If you feel a little bit peeved, Take granny's stand-by potion For any old cough or wheeze. It's a cure for hepatitis, it's a cure for chronic insomnia, It's a cure for tonsillitis and for water on the knee. Have a cuppa tea. Then you'll feel better :D

CheshireCat, FJFP, DISKOJOE and 4 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Lol still lots of spring, but the machine makes a lot more noise than it used to :)

7. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

You beat me to it! I'm also getting slower.

8. mark winstanley

Damn is this going to turn into a therapy group :)

FJFP, Wondergirl and ajsmith like this.
  9. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today in Kinks history:

Low Budget is released on this date in 1979 in the US on Arista records. Described by Rolling Stone at the time as 'The hardest rocking Kinks album in recent memory' the record, which was recorded between London and New York, charted in the US at no.11.

10. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

ohhhh that's what it is.....all this time I never thought about it. I just assumed to was an effect put there to....look cool? i don't know. it is off but i guess it grew on me/ the good albums bad covers eventually seem great to me, like the cover represent the music and i can't get it out of my head.

11. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

ha! Was thinking the same thing as well. "where did my go go?" always cracks me up!

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Senior Member

I see what you did there!

mark winstanley and LX200GPS like this.
  13. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

When I first heard this track I thought it was meant to be a funny song because of the characters depicted. I was very young then and I took it as just a bit of a laugh in the same way, for example, that Harry Rag was. It wasn't that many years before when you could find me watching Old Mother Riley films at the local cinema on Saturday afternoons. Words I didn't understand were consortium, affinity or affiliate.

Considering the subject matter, it's quite a jaunty little tune and, as the years have rolled by, the seriousness of that subject matter has become more and more relevant to me, probably to all of us. We seem to be losing so much we took for granted back then - even the stars above do not escape this fate on account of the dreaded light pollution.

Davies has referred to the song as the album's national anthem. From Rogan's book: "It's a shame the Americans are more interested in our traditional values than we are. I never go to watch a cricket match, but I like to know it's there. It's bad for people to grow up and not know what a china cup is - or a village green."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  14. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

There is no way to overstate or oversell the wonder of this opening track. It works so perfectly on so many levels.

A great overture to an opera will introduce the listener to the various musical themes to be encountered in the coming hours. You get to hear snippets of each main melody all strung together. Instead of an introductory tour of melodies here, we get a magnificent overview of the spirit and pathos of the album. There are no direct musical or lyrical quotes, but there is preparatory communication of the highest order. The song effectively says "this is what this album is all about." That said, the song can also stand perfectly on its own; it is both brilliant preamble and fully self contained.

Flashback to Waterloo Sunset. I never understood why that marvel was so neglected in the US; one need not live near or even have seen the dirty ol river to hear... to feel.... the depth of that song. Similarly here, even as a Yank who had never been to the UK, the beauty of English charm and the emotional attachment to it come through every bit as strong as Sweet Home Alabama or Saturday in the Park. I had no idea who Mrs. Mopp and good old mother Riley were, but I clearly understood what they represented and what they meant to the singer.

The lyrical wordplay is superb throughout. The mere repetitive verbal modulation of names for various types of associations could easily have been dry or settled into novelty song territory, but here, it's all so very clever! I never tire of it. The juxtaposition of each type of association with a simple thing to be preserved (or rejected) ends up being utterly, thoroughly charming.

Not much to add about the music. It's also wonderful. I'll just say that there is yet another way of expressing just what a joy this song is to me. Like everyone, I often get melodies stuck in my head. Usually inane tunes or things so simpl as to be truly maddening that I can't knock them out of my monkey mind. But this opening riff? That's another story. Five simple notes, completely unremarkable in and of themselves. Any time I listen to this album, I find myself humming those five notes for hours, or even into the next day.... and I don't mind one bit. In fact. I rather like it.

Such is the wonder of the Village Green.

15. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

Feel like I should have already known this, or perhaps heard it and my conscious mind rejected it, but..

The BBC cricket theme (ingrained in the psyche of anyone with ears in the UK from about age 5) was by Booker T and the MGs? So that ascending bass riff is Duck Dunn, Booker T is on organ, and hang on.. Terry Manning, Terry Manning, is on marimba?

With apologies to all US folks I might need to go and have a lie down. I can't even begin to think about Village Green.

pablo fanques, Adam9, FJFP and 5 others like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Ahhh Cricket.... I really miss seeing the cricket and Aussie rules....
    Given time, I could sit and watch a 5 day test match from start to finish..... I guess it's a slow moving thing to watch, but I have generally found it captivating.... and as much as I love one day Games, a five day test match is just the best.... I don't have much time for 20/20.... it's ok, kind of like a single, but I prefer albums.....

This was the theme to the cricket I grew up with..... oddly I have no idea if it is someone's piece of music, or if it was done specifically for the cricket.... I reckon someone here will know.

FJFP, All Down The Line and Orino like this.
  17. mark winstanley

This album is going to have me reminiscing a lot... particularly in this strange world we currently inhabit.... I feel like an extraterrestrial in this current world.... it doesn't make much sense to me.
    Possibly moreso than ever, this song and album have a poignancy that cuts to my very core.

The MEZ, The Quiet One, FJFP and 8 others like this.
  18. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

this is like the creed of the society. what a perfect introduction to the theme and feel of what’s to follow on this album. I don’t understand half the references, but no matter, I have you all to explain, but all I really need is just to hear Ray and Dave sing them in harmony.

Lyrically it’s superb, and again I can picture Ray tapping his pen on his forehead to see if he can come up with another 4 syllable word ending in “tion” — “ahh! condemnation!”

I love mick’s drumming throughout the album, but it really keeps this one moving and all his little fills are great.

God save the village green! What more can we do?

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Senior Member

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society 1968........

If I truly think about the fact that for 2 years Ray stockpiled songs for this pet project whilst still being able to issue Something Else with neither album suffering in quality i find very telling of Ray's drive, vision & pedigree as a writer at this time!

As good as many of the songs here undoubtedly are (like Exile On Main Street), as a whole VGPS is even greater than the sum of it's parts.
    However like with Exile this i believe is only revealed when the listener embraces & immerses themselves in the work & grasps just where the artist is coming from.

There are so many standout compositions and clearly many are thematically linked so stand yet taller again amongst and within the VGPS populace!

First heard from my 1998 UK CD & then embellished with my 2018 Hardcover 2CD Set.
    I knew somewhat of it's lofty reputation in advance (and liked a number of tracks on first listen) though was just slightly underwhelmed from the hype however it took time and repeated plays for me to locate and understand the village green and it's linking narrative.
    I won't go into detail about individual songs but joyously mention some of my actual favourites;
    Big Sky, Village Green, Animal Farm, Starstruck, The Village Green Preservation Society & Picture Book.

Days of course is stupendous but i am not sure it should be on the album as it does work fine without it but i do feel a little sad that the pure delight known as Mr Songbird was omitted!

I leave it to Mark and the many great Kinks fans here to kollect, korroborate & kongratlate each other's VGPS Kink's tales, what more can we do?

20. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

That is a great performance, love the organ.

"To my multi-dimensional friends in the spirit world, see you later guys" :laugh:

21. mark winstanley

Village Green Preservation Society - alt mix with session chat

There isn't that much in the way of chat, but we get the regular studio fiddling before a take, and it is like the band is really revving itself up into it.
    This mix seems to have the vocals a little more forward, with the drums really driving it along.
    I also notice that the key change comes in quite differently ... not sure if that's just here, or if I just notice it more here.
    This kind of feels more intense or something ...

I'm going to have this in my head all weekend , and that doesn't bother me one bit.

I went back to the start ... I keep doing that ... and I notice a huge dynamic difference in the start from the finish. It really moves up intensity so beautifully.

22. mark winstanley

Unfortunately it doesn't look like everything from the box has been uploaded ... I would upload the extras, but I haven't got enough space on my computer to do it...

23. seanw

seanw Forum Resident

Curious about the recording process here. Ray notoriously held back lyrics/vocals until the end when recording due to fear that someone else might steal them and his ideas. I thought that meant the music was recorded first, then he sang over the recording. So do we get the vocals on outtakes for this record perhaps because it was more of a collaborative effort than others? Or have the vocals been added after the music was recorded? Or is it just that sometimes Ray held back the vocals, and in this case he didn't? Can anyone shed any light on this?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As @Fortuleo has already noted, the opening line cannot help but be sung when recited aloud.

Everyone has already said everything I want to say, including the odd-man-out Donald Duck reference.

Re: Fu Manchu. When I was a kid we had this game. Evidently, came on the market in 1967.

[​IMG]

25. mark winstanley

Reference guide

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966

Apr 1967 Mr Pleasant - Alt version - Beat Club - live - beat club - instr (whistling)
    This Is Where I Belong - Ray live - Ray with Francis Black

May 1967 Mr Pleasant EP
    Mr Pleasant
    This Is Where I Belong
    Two Sisters - Ray live (with chat)
    Village Green - Instrumental - Ray

My 1967 Waterloo Sunset - instr. - live 73 - Ray live 78 - live 94 - Ray and Damon Albarn - doco excerpt - Ray and Bowie - Ray live (Peter dedication)
    Art Nice and Gentle

May 1967 Waterloo Sunset EP

Documentary

Jul 1967 Death Of A Clown - Dave Live - Dave live 2002

Sept 1967 Something Else By
    David Watts - Live 84 - Dave live 97 - Ray live 2010 - Alt mono - alt version
    Death Of A Clown
    Two Sisters
    No Return
    Harry Rag - BBC - Ray 2010 - alt version
    Tin Soldier Man - Sand On My Shoes (original) - Alt backing track
    Situation Vacant - mono
    Love Me Till The Sun Shines - BBC - live 69 - Dave 97 - stereo
    Lazy Old Sun - alt version
    Afternoon Tea - German Stereo - Alt stereo - Canadian Mono
    Funny Face
    End Of The Season
    Waterloo Sunset

Little Women backing track

Dave And Ray interview sixties

Echoes Of The World - The Making Of Village Green Preservation Society

Oct 1967 Autumn Almanac - stereo - Top Of The Pops - live fan jam - Ray - breakdown

Nov 1967 Sunny Afternoon LP

Nov 1967 Susannah's Still Alive - stereo - video

1967 BBC sessions - Sunny Afternoon
    Autumn Almanac
    Mr Pleasant
    Susannah's Still Alive
    David Watts
    Death Of A Clown
    Good Luck Charm

Jan 1968 Live at Kelvin Hall
    Part 1

Part 2

Jan 1968 Wonderboy - video - Top Of The Pops - stereo mix
    Polly - stereo mix

April 1968 The Kinks EP

June 1968 Days - stereo mix - Glastonbury 2010 - live 1969 - video edit - Basil Brush - Alt stereo - Acoustic - 1991 EP version

Aug 1968 Lincoln County - stereo mix - Dave live
    There Is No Life Without Love

Nov 1968 The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - the gold disc award
    The Village Green Preservation Society - Alt mix with studio banter - Live 73

CheshireCat and palisantrancho like this.