The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

that is a great point. I will add that when he does say “but what can YOU do sitting there”, he is actually talking to himself.

jethrowup, Fortuleo, DISKOJOE and 3 others like this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Good spot: this decision lends the track a kind of cinematic effect of zooming out from the personal. close up view of the verse to a kind of objective, frozen tableau in the chorus. God that sounds pretentious, but hopefully it make some kind of sense: the verse sounds like a troubled but active mind turning things over, the chorus sounds like a sad Dutch painting.

3. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Understood -- it gave me pause as well, until I heard what was lurking under that cover. Nothing at all like the artwork would suggest:

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

My favourite line of the song

ajsmith likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

It makes me think of Martin Fry ? from ABC

6. tables_turning

Yes, there's a visual resemblance there certainly.
    "Oh, here's a nice looking album; let's put it on!"
    *shredding guitars*
    "That's not at all what it appears it should sound like, is it?"
    No, it's not!

7. mark winstanley

That's a new song for me. Perhaps that contrast was what he was looking for. The guys seemed to like to do that. The opening sounds almost like Ozzy Osborne

CheshireCat and tables_turning like this.
  8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Ditto.
    That's it for me today. Well done!

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Great idea, Mark!

I found this pic recently. Rasa on the left and Victoria (Ray's 2nd child with Rasa) on the right(couldn't post the actual pic so here's the link:
    1997 - Rasa and Victoria Davies - FamousFix.com post

10. tables_turning

Most of Glamour is like that -- full of contrasts. Part of what makes it my favorite of all his solo efforts.

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As mentioned in several posts, this track is very Byrdsy, at least in the verse portions of the song; complete with jangly guitars. And then the resemblance falls apart during the amped up, raucous chorus (which is quite a shift in direction, and sounds as if a second vocalist (with the recording mic turned up) enters the fray).
    A good lead off track.

12. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I'm still recuperating from the eye op (it's getting better, thank you), but I've been reading what the other Avids are saying lately about Dave's 60s songs, which, although not in the same league of Ray's songs, are nonetheless very good to excellent in their own right. "This Man He Weeps Tonight" being an sterling example. This was one of the highlights of The Great Lost Kinks Album to me. As the other Avids have pointed out, it sounds very Byrdsy, Gene Clark Byrdsy, which is excellent in my book. This is an example of how the 60s Brit bands looked to 60s Yank bands for a bit of sonic inspiration. Another example was the Move, whose BBC Sessions CD showed them as almost a US West Coast covers band, including the Byrds.

Lyrically, with what we now know about Dave's life, it seems that he was still mired mentally with the Sue situation. My favorite line in the song are "I thought our thing would last because it said so in my horoscope", which struck me as being pretty naive to me even when I first heard it at age 15.

I think what happened was that Pye wanted to push Dave's solo career on the cheap & that Dave just wasn't mature enough & actually wanted to stay in the Kinks. Maybe Dave should have started his solo career in the 70s when Ray was doing the concept albums to lessen the tension between them.

Finally, Avid Winstanley's post on Rasa reminded me of the first time I ever say Ray's wedding picture. My friend Jimmy has been a big Kinks fan since the 70s & he has a scrapbook of articles about the Kinks that date from then to the present, which was quite the achievement in the pre internet days. One of the clipped articles had the wedding picture & that was the very first time I saw it in 20 yrs. of Kinks fandom.

13. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

As long as we’re discussing Dave. He tweeted this just a while ago.

https://twitter.com/davedavieskinks/status/1426526725786177540?s=21

I don’t know how to copy the tweet that this was in response to, but it will show up in the link. For those that are not inclined to click on links, Dave’s response was:

“Most of our catalogue is licensed to BMG. Ray and I get along fine thanks in fact we are having tea tomorrow”

14. mark winstanley

Hopefully that's true, and if it is, it makes my heart glad

15. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I don’t have any reason to believe otherwise. The impression I got from reading Dave’s book “Kink” is that in spite of the fact that Dave thought Ray could be a real arsehole at times, Dave loves and has a great deal of admiration for his brother.

16. mark winstanley

well we can all be aresholes at times, it's part of the human condition :)

Wondergirl and DISKOJOE like this.
  17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I just ordered the Hidden Treasures CD from importcds.com last night. I never bothered with it before because I found it kind of confusing. They seemed to be just Dave's songs from Kinks releases cobbled together and they call it a Dave solo album. And it was also unfinished so there were different tracklistings floating around. I'm guessing Hidden Treasures is the way to go since the Dave album in the Arthur box is the same tracklisting as 2-13 on that CD.

18. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

I thought our thing would last,
    'Cause it said so in my horoscope,

That was my favorite line back in 1973 when I thought it was Ray like satire. It lost its charm for me decades later when I read that Dave was an avid believer in astrology.

19. mark winstanley

I reckon it's the most logical choice.
    The sound seems good to me, and it works as a good summary of Dave's stuff from the sixties.... the bonus being that it somewhat starts off as a/the Dave led Kinks supplementary album, or something.

20. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Dave recently said he and Ray were really into The Byrds.

The Byrds’ cover of “Cowgirl in the Sand” sounds a lot like Dave’s stuff like “Do You Wish To Be A Man?” to me.

21. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Quaife got Dave into astrology in late 1968/early 1969, so around the time this song was recorded.

Steve E. and mark winstanley like this.
  22. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I agree. But it’s odd they released some of the slight instrumental stuff.

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

“The light in here is dim and the room closes in around me/your picture’s hanging loose on a rusty nail”

reminds me of:

“The smiling portrait of you is still hanging on my frowning wall/it really doesn’t bother me too much at all/it’s just that your ever falling dust makes it so hard for me to see/the forgotten earring laying on the floor, facing coldly toward the door”

24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: My only complaint about this tune is it's incomplete sounding structure of Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Chorus. It would've been nice to have had some sort of bridge like contrasting melody in between those last two choruses.

Here in the U.S, "Shangri-La" was not released as a single and like many other people here (I suspect), this is another track I first became familiar with via The Great Lost Kinks Album.

25. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Rasa's family is full of interesting and accomplished people. This was her dad, a Lithuanian poet and educator, who died in 1968.

Aleksandras Dičpetris - Wikipedia