The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

Kink Kronikles Side 1 and Side 4 are the same LP. So in 1972 they still made stackers? People know what I mean by stackers right?

Steve E. and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, and apparently the RSD reissue has the same side sequencing on the records for some reason.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I remember stackers. My family's 1970 RCA TV/Stereo combo had that thingie where you could stack records on the turntable. I don't think it was good for the vinyl though.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Nah, that's cool.
    My wife tweeted someone.... ? ..... Aaron Paul or his wife?.... something like that. She got a reply, and was walking on air for a week lol

5. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

LOL It's all goofy fun, isn't it?
    and the added bonus is the tweet was about farts. How fantastic. :laugh:

6. DISKOJOE

Well, at least it wasn't anything bad about either Davies boy.

7. mark winstanley

LOL
    Are you sure you're not English or Australian?

All Down The Line and Steve E. like this.
  8. Wondergirl

I think it's more that I'm a 13 year old boy at heart. LOL

9. mark winstanley

I understand that.. . I certainly sometimes still am.

Wondergirl and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

"Yes Sir, No Sir" is one of the two great anti-war songs on the Arthur album. Maybe one of two of the greatest anti-war songs in rock music. The lyrics are fantastic--scathing, sarcastic, and sadly humorous, I guess what Ray is best at.

Ray's "yes sir, no sir" voice sounds worn out and tired. The switch over to the commanding officer's "doesn't matter who you are" part is abrupt, but it has to be I guess to signify it is another character. That voice is also perfect, a sort of nasal whine that leads into this sort of imperial sounding "lalala" part (of a soldiers on parade?) Just totally jingoistic. I love how obvious this section is too..."doesn't matter who you are, you're there and there you are."

"Everything is in it's place, authority must be maintained." That's definitely something Ray would hone in on and have a problem with. This is the guy who wrote "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" and, also, on this album, "Shangri-la." Basically celebrating his individuality, er, Kinkiness...order and authority are not something he'd feel comfortable with.

Propaganda is touched upon too: "Let them feel that they're important to the cause/but let them know that they are fighting for their homes/just be sure that they are giving it their all."

"I think this life is affecting my brain." One can't help but think of Vincent D'Onofrio's character from Full Metal Jacket.

I just wanted to add, as others have pointed out, Dave's guitar playing is great in this, but John Dalton's bass playing really shines, I think.

11. DISKOJOE

Yeah, one who doesn't like 12 yr. old boys who listen to WAAF. Man, you were brutal to that poor Avid ;)

mark winstanley and Wondergirl like this.
  12. Wondergirl

har!! Yes I have a bias against WAAF. I mean "WOW" = Whip'em Out Wednesday.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. DISKOJOE

I never listened to WAAF. It was mostly WBCN, WCOZ, WFNX, WROR & WMWM (Salem State College) for my radio jollies growing up. The only music station I listen to these days is a Cape Cod station that has rebroadcasts of old American Top 40 w/Casey Kasem shows on the weekends.

mark winstanley and Wondergirl like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Side note: my Apple Music favorites playlist has The Ballad of Bill Hubbard on it today. It’s as if The Machine is keeping tabs on the WWI part of the discussion. (And I did listen very carefully to the story of Bill and the trenches and no man’s land. Heartbreaking.)

15. mark winstanley

My favourite Roger solo album.

Zeki likes this.
  16. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Yes Sir, No Sir!: This was one of the songs that eluded me at first. I listened to this album over and over, as I mentioned, for about a month straight. I could sing the song straight through from beginning to end, and I found usually towards the end I was enjoying it, but I really didn’t get excited when it would start, usually a sign that I love a song. I’m happy to report though, as I mentioned above, that by taking a bit of a break and moving onto Lola for a while, that when I revisited Arthur, the songs that weren’t clicking previously mostly began to click. This was one of them. In fact, I was just walking around with it playing, and my fiancé started singing along. Clearly my constant spinning of this one has sunk in for her as well.

17. mark winstanley

I was trying to send my wife a picture of something she was looking for earlier (so she knew what it looked like) and it didn't work. It sent the last thing I had copied previous, which was this song.
    "Oh well" I thought...
    I got a reply about 5 mins later "that's a great song!"

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The time to be concerned is when you each take on different sections! You’re probably okay until then. :D

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Even weirder, streaming versions of the 2020 KK keep the stacker order!

FJFP, DISKOJOE, Adam9 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Wondergirl

Yes Sir No Sir
    this is a really special song. As Mark pointed out there are a lot going on here. Where do you even start?
    For one, Ray does an admirable job imbuing all the different voices with the proper emotion. I don't know how he does it, but he does have the knack.
    Love Dave's guitar in this one. The horns are great. The opening drums are so perfect.
    and the various musical changes. wow.
    Ray does an excellent job in painting a picture of this terrible war. stunning.

21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes Sir, No Sir: I have little to add after all your fantastic contributions (specially Zeki's). I just want to say it gives the album part of the variety I love so much in it. It's, again, very cinematic, with different characters and different tones for each character. It reminds me of the first half of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (which it predates in 18 years!), which is also very satiric in my view.

22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i find 2 drags a bit and i did just listen to it all a few weeks back in anticipation of this thread and when i would start being more active , i did see them live on this tour and the show was great! i have always felt that schoolboys and soap opera work better as musicals than rock albums. also saw them live during these tours ( schoolboys for sure , and i think around soap opera)

23. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

YES SIR, NO SIR

The decline of the British Empire starts here with this anti- first world war song.

What happened to the guy singing "Though I'm poor I am free" on the last track ?

Well, he was conscripted into the army and into a bloody war. He soon realised his freedom was a sham and maybe he wasn't so lucky after all to be born British.

"Pack up your ambition in your old kit bag
    Soon you'll be happy with a packet of fags"

"Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag
    And smile, smile, smile,
    While you've a lucifer to light your fag,
    Smile, boys, that's the style."

Well, sorry, but Ray's soldier is definitely not smiling.

24. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Listened to this remix for the first time on my good system - the horns are missing, but it creates more space and clarity for Ray’s vocal performance, which sounds even more impressive than the standard mix.

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Victoria

I adore this song so upon discovery i decided that I must learn it on guitar so I could do more than just helplessly sing along!
    I won't go in to the lyrics as others have already superbly done so except to say that i love Ray's delivery as it has sincerity, sarcasm and irony which i think the lack of (this combination) was mentioned with Plastic Man.
    I have no issue with the repetitiveness of the sung title as this is after all a rousing national anthem Kinks style.
    Brilliant melodically and simple chordally with uplifting changes going into both chorus and bridge and some great descending bass parts by Dalton which are even more effective as he alternates how he plays essentially the same line which creates urgency that the whole band lock in on.
    A superb opener with more Glory-a to come!