The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

LOL
    Most definitely.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues: I already said this in my general overview thoughts but this song makes it very clear that The Kinks are now a very good…and clever, blues band. Like many posts that precede mine, I hear this as shambolic and yet, when I consider the inclusion of the horn section, it really isn’t at all. It’s well thought out, a considered musical arrangement.
    I first heard this 30 years after its initial release but if I had heard it real time I’m quite certain I would have taken to it immediately. Just as I when I heard Let It Bleed or…well, a lot of raw, just a bit off kilter stuff.

The Kinks continue to roll; two for two on Muswell Hillbillies.

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I don't have an issue with horns in rock per se, and I think that the VGPS songs re-done with the Mike Cotton Sound worked really well. I also have a soft spot for Have A Cuppa Tea, which is a bit surprising considering what else I've said about this album!

4. mark winstanley

Definitely....
    It also leaves the gate open to really swing... and a lot of the tracks on here Swing like an unlatched gate in a hurricane.

5. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I for one blame that pesky Avory fella for this :D

And I also used to hate horns in rock. I thought it was just horribly unrocking and quaint. See also: electric piano, female backing vocals, country and soul. Then I got into the Stones (I was six and my father had just bought Voodoo Lounge so please don't shoot me).

6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I guess I don't like horns in rock/pop music! (I was considering writing "I don't like horny music", but that could be seen as inappropriate)

7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Hmm, I guess they work OK there, perhaps it's the swing of things!

8. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Marky Mark & the Horny Horns? Makes sense here ;)

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    This is a really heavy number. Sorry, someone had to say that :D.
    It's also the first Kinks song where the horns are so prominent. I really love the live versions of this song - Ray and the band seem to be having a great time and there's a whiff of alcohol and more in the air. It's a boozy bluesy horny song, and what's wrong with that.

@Mark was referring here to the music (yes the Stones did some boozy bluesy horny too) but I can point to a link with the lyrics. On It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (1974) there's a song about paranoia called Fingerprint File - Jagger makes it sound good (he makes nearly everything sound good) but his lyrics are trite in comparison. Here's a taster
    You better watch out
    On your telephone
    Wrong number
    They know you ain't home
    And there's some little jerk in the FBI
    A keepin' papers on me six feet high
    It gets me down, it gets me down, it gets me down
    Who's the man on the corner; that corner over there
    I don't know. Well, you better lay low. Watch out

Ray's lyrics are clever. We can laugh at them but as Mark points out from painful personal experience, they are on point.

10. mark winstanley

:D so not a big Prince fan .... just being silly, no need for a reply :)

11. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Very off topic but I just LOVE this song or perhaps rather the performance. Mick Taylor's bass is well funky. And yes, Mick isn't the world's greatest lyricist (unless he wants to, the lazy git). No Ray he. Or even Dave :)

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and Steve62 like this.
  12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Fantastic original post by Mark. Also as several have already mentioned, great Dylan comparison by @Fortuleo . On a related note, I always suspected the title of this one was intended as a take on Dylan’s verbose song titles of the 1965/66 era.

13. mark winstanley

Oh dear, we have moved from Percy pecker ponderances to a hectic horny happenstance

DISKOJOE, CheshireCat and GarySteel like this.
  14. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

If you combine the first two song titles and add a century you get a King Crimson title.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep. I get the two confused occasionally! (Edit: I guess ‘three’, not two!)

DISKOJOE, ARL and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

The lyrics seem a logical follow on to the opener, but the music is straight out of New Orleans. This song puts me right on Bourbon Street.

This is one of those songs I wasn't to keen on when I discovered the Kinks, but really can appreciate now. While I still really don't get into the lyrical content itself, I've really come to appreciate the music, and of course they somehow manage to match those lyrics to the music perfectly, so I do end up enjoying the words as well.

More than any other group, I think The Kinks are responsible for opening the aperture of what I'm ready to appreciate musically and lyrically.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

New for me as only my 2nd play & have only read Mark's review before attempting a post.
    A serious lyric but I find it a bit of a jolly and boozy song, particularly with those shambolic (mostly in a good way) horns.
    Whilst this is a very serious condition (i work for someone that has it) it feels like it fits in with the album in as much as it may be no wonder we have an increasing number of people walking around like this given the societal woes Ray depicts.
    So as per usual a great write up by @mark winstanley but will let him down gently on this November '71 tracks release likelihood of influencing Exile On Main Street.

Edit: This song had me thinking of two others:
    Eddie Cochran's thematic Summertime Blues & Bob Dylan's paronoic Talking John Birch Society Blues!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  18. All Down The Line

Why not everbodys in it!

19. All Down The Line

Perhaps though for me it's about it's use and placement, for example I love the use of horn on Bitch.

20. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Probably best to keep away from the RCA Dynaflex copy.

21. All Down The Line

Mick though is not singing of clinical paranoia (& therefore not generalizing) but more so specifically the US government's possible (& it turned out for some to be true) surveillance of rock stars such as John Lennon & Mick Jagger.

22. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Bad?

23. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I bought a couple of Kinks RCA surround discs a while ago only to discover they were stereo. Promptly returned to shop. Apparently, it was printing error.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

My one was dreadful.

mark winstanley and GarySteel like this.
  25. All Down The Line

How do you rate the US original?

mark winstanley likes this.