The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Women entrepreneurs contribute nearly £50 billion in gross value added to the UK economy each year. I doubt they are all hookers and lap dancers .....

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You're kind of missing the point that I'm specifically talking about the geographical location of the City of London - and the kind of business that is done there. Owning a factory that makes wellington boots in Worksop, or whatever, is not what I'm referring to. Also London and the City of London are two separate entities.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Quant.

4. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I was also confused by "Impaled", as I've only encountered it in the sense of being run through by something; but I looked it up and was surprised to see the original definition of impale is to encircle with a fence - so Ray had his dictionary out, as any great poet would!

5. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I like this song.

9 for 9 it is then.

Peace out.

6. Luckless Pedestrian

That's a great point, prior to studying the lyrics, the style of the music had lead me to assume that Holloway Jail must be located somewhere in the American South!

Steve62, Fischman, DISKOJOE and 4 others like this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Good discovery. I still think Ray was looking round for a rhyme and 'impaled' works poetically because if you're impaled you're going to be in pain and not going anywhere for a while!

8. Luckless Pedestrian

Perhaps the narrator of the song is the mother or father of the incarcerated child, unable to protect her after she ran off to the city, in the Big Black Smoke sense.

Smiler, DISKOJOE, markelis and 3 others like this.
  9. Luckless Pedestrian

Absolutely, it's a fantastic word choice poetically as it evokes pain and suffering in addition to being incarcerated, while locking up in a tight rhyme with "Jail".

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Holloway Jail

Being a massive blues & blues rock fan this is likely the most enjoyable song the album has revealed to me thus far.
    Yes as discussed the band were now more authentically playing the genre than in years gone by but i don't think a few obvious points have been made about this.
    Firstly more maturity & the experience that goes with it.
    Secondly a different bass player and also now a fulltime keyboard player.
    The whole band has a cool groove and Dave again does not come up wanting.
    The riff reminds me of so many things such as Jeff Beck's Plynth (particularly live) and Cold Chisels Shipping Steel to name but two.
    It's been stated upthread but I feel that whatever the merits of the lyric here the music seems to render it to be of secondary importance and I am carried away by all around entertainment as it should be and not looking hard for clever lines or storytelling twists in an effort to want (or need) to feel more endeared with the creation

There's been some talk here and there of the Stones but really it is most apt with this track.
    Ray says his baby is no longer a lady as life is just hell in jail and you feel impaled.
    We don't know more but innocence and naivety are gone as is possibly trust, hope and perhaps even the thought of a relationship with a man in view of what's happened and there is no likelihood of it here but very possibly strong pressure to about face.

N.b. I noted with interest that for a period in the 19th century Holloway Jail housed both female and male prisoners.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Goddamn! That never even occurred to me all this time! Makes total sense!

12. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Hot off the press, folks:

[​IMG]

From the man himself. DavEEs.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ah! I did not know this. Thanks.

14. mark winstanley

Always has been for me lol

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Well, his brother pronounces it ‘Davis.’ I just saw/heard him say it in a clip that was posted here not to long ago.

16. mark winstanley

Nice one, Cheers

Interesting, I wonder if it is derived from pail ... and was supposed to represent being in a bucket, in a sense.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I was thinking the sharpening of one side of a log and driving it into the ground. To create a barricade or fence. Impaling?
    Edit: actually, sharpen both ends! Drive one side in and have upper side as a tool of impalement if someone tries to get over it.

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

As in 'beyond the pale', i.e. beyond the fence I believe.

20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Also a paling is part of a fence? And palings is the fence as a whole. Or is that a regional word?

21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

DavEEs is the Welsh pronunciation, and the family are of Welsh extraction, so Dave is being true to his roots. Davies is a Welsh name so DaveEEs is the correct pronunciation basically.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It took me 350 pages of this thread to change from DavEEs to Davis. Now I gotta go back? I’ll think about it.

23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Holloway Jail"

I was listening to this the other day on headphones and it was reminding me of McCartney. The vocal around 20 seconds in "She was a lady, when she went in" sounds remarkably like a McCartney vocal and melody. Then the guitar and drums come in and they also have something very McCartney about them. Like maybe something from his first solo album. Another fantastic song. I'm happy to see the positive comments. It's kind of a buried track that took awhile to pop out for me. I'm with @mark winstanley that we are now 9 for 9.

24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I heard Ray mention in a recent interview that it's actually supposed to be pronounced "Daviz" which is sort of a compromise between the two of them.

25. mark winstanley

I know it is nothing to do with it at all, but every time I hear "She was a lady, when she went in" my head follows it up with the line "Goodbye to romance that might have been" lol ... I'm really not sure why the Everly Brothers Bye Bye Love keeps popping out there, but every single time I hear the song, that goes through my head :)