The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: My first time hearing this. I think that at least a partial source of the musical inspiration is a bit obvious:

Grateful Dead / Sugar Magnolia

2. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

I never tire of everything learned by following this thread!

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I saw them play at UWA way back in the day

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It’s just that one track that causes all the trauma. I like the two songs you mentioned and realize I know, and like, ‘Lost My Drivin’ Wheel,’ too.

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Mountain Woman
    Gotta love the groove. The rhythm section lays this now nicely. Dudes are tight and the groove is loose. Hillbilly deluxe. I can get into this even if on the surface it's not my thing. Fun enough to overcome a less than stellar (at least by Davies standards) lyric sheet.

The US / UK connection is interesting. I'm reminded of an episode of the favorite British comedy in our house, Doc Martin. We saw an episode in which Martin and the local constable are sucked into mayhem in a remote farm. The residents were at least environmentally stunted if not diagnosably mentally challenged, and all indications were that there my even be inbreeding.... just like stereotypical Appalachia USA. I was like "Whoa... there are people like that in the UK too!?!"

6. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Mountain Woman

I've known this song as long as I have this album, since it was one of the bonus tracks on the CD I got in 2007. I love the riff, and it seems pretty complete to me, rather than just a demo or a fragment. Thematically, I see it doesn't totally fit as it does seem to be more set in America. Although, its not part of the Rocky Mountains, it's just literally a black rocky mountain.

I also wonder why it's not called Mountain Man, or Mountain People. It's titled after the woman, but it's clearly about both of them.

But I think it is perfect for what it is, a bonus track. Another thing they worked on in these sessions, but didn't quite make the cut. I love the guitar tone. I assume that "they drank mountain dew" didn't mean the sugary green soda Mountain Dew. The whole aura of the song kinda reminds me of Misty Water. The juxtaposition of the rocky mountain versus the concrete mountain is a nice touch!

I can also see this is an environmental type song about using the land, and then having man carve it up and change it and mess everything up... I'm comparing that idea a bit to The Trader by the Beach Boys (Holland, 1973).

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Normal for Norfolk - Wikipedia

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ranga?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Norfolk = the north folk/people

11. mark winstanley

Kentucky Moon.

stereo mix (3:56), recorded 16 Oct, 1971 at Morgan Studios, Willesden, London

Never been anywhere south of the Delaware
    Never been through Kalamazoo
    Never been to Timbuktu

Living is fantasy, traveling mentally
    Making up tunes in hotel rooms
    'Bout places I've never been to

Though I've never crooned under a Kentucky moon

I had my dream, Kentucky moon
    But it's only moon dreams
    From songs, films and TV
    But I can visualize what I've never seen
    But I had my dream, Kentucky moon

Route 66 to me is still a mystery
    And Ohio, too
    Went Chicago blue down to St. Louie blues

Never been anywhere south of the Delaware
    Never been through Kalamazoo
    Never been to Timbuktu

So I sit and dream, Kentucky moon

As I sit by a stream in the moon
    But it's just imagery
    From songs, films and TV
    So I sit and dream, Kentucky moon

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music Ltd.

This is a sort of unusual track, but I have to say I really like it a lot.
    We open up with the piano and vocal, and the way the piano and vocal weave together is really very cool. Ray delivers this laconic …. kind of lazy vocal, and for me it really suits the song…… It sort of sounds like a guy sitting on his porch after too many drinks, and pondering life the universe and everything.

Lyrically this is almost a reflection of the lyrics pertaining to the USA on this album. He is pretty much saying, look I have never been to any of these places, and this is how I see them, probably based on TV, movies and such.

I really like the was we move from the opening piano section and into this very earthy blues with the slide guitar.

This feels like a somewhat loose studio jam, although with the changes, they obviously had a chord chart and a guide as to who is coming in where.
    We move between the piano led section and the slide guitar sections and I love the way that works here.
    I don’t really have an awful lot to say about this track really, but I really like it…. Probably still wouldn’t remove anything from the album for me.

12. mark winstanley

Nobody’s Fool.

mono mix, demo version (2:28), recorded 6 Oct 1971 at Morgan Studio 1, Willesden, London

From the bright busy streets of the Charing Cross Road
    To the dark little alleys in old Soho
    From the smart noisy clubs where everybody goes
    To the dark little streets that nobody knows

I couldn't care if the people don't notice me
    They wouldn't know that I really exist
    I'm nobody's shelter, I'm nobody's cover
    I'm nobody's lover, and nobody's friend

I'm so use to lying and pretending
    I'm nobody's fool and I'm nobody's friend

I can go for a walk on a crowded street
    And see millions of faces staring at me
    Some of them smiling, some of them glare
    But most of them don't even know that I'm there

That's how I want to be 'cause no one belongs to me
    Nobody pleads for me, nobody bleeds for me

I'm so used to lying and pretending

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Standard Music

This song seems to be about an outsider, possibly a homeless person. A person who wanders the street in their own little world.

The song is written a little more like some of Ray’s earlier songs, with a wandering chord structure that leads the melody. It has a beautiful melancholy that appeals to me.

This seems somewhat like the ultimate song of the outsider…..

Even in this unfinished demo form, I really like this.

We get the piano holding the structure together, and the acoustic guitar working in support.

Again I don’t have a whole heap to say about this one, but I think it is really good… again, I don’t think it would take anything off the album for me.

13. mark winstanley

and while there is a couple of days, and this is essentially an unfinished jam
    Queenie.

stereo mix, instrumental backing track (3:43), recorded Sep 1971 at Morgan Studios, Willesden, London

Here we have a rock jam, and I think it works well…. It actually seems to feel like a precursor to Foreigner’s Hot Blooded in some ways.
    Again, I like it, and wonder what Ray’s lyrics would be.

I don’t really have much to say about this one either, but again I like it, and I kind of wish Ray has laid some lyrics down for it. I imagine he had some words, with the title…. It seems like it may have been a companion piece to Nobody’s Fool in some ways, perhaps another character from the Muswell Hills scene.

14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I think this song was written as the theme tune for the Adam Faith TV series, "Budgie"? The lyrics certainly suggest as much. The version eventually used was credited to Cold Turkey, whoever they may be and if they ever existed at all, but that's either Ray Davies on vocals or someone trying very hard to sound like Ray Davies.

https://youtube/FTSB2b-nFKY

15. mark winstanley

Cheers. I have never heard of the show.

16. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Kentucky Moon

I understood it was about a North-Easterner who never went anywhere else in the USA. The country is so big that an average American may have exactly the same "fantasizing" relationship to most of the other States than a "Muswell Hillbilly". That's how I hear it.

What I really like about this song is, it doesn't sound like anything else Ray's written. I really enjoy it, even if I wouldn't hear it on the album.

Nobody's fool

Maybe my favorite song from these 1971 sessions.

I will post my alternate album later today if I get at least part of my brain back, I had a little too much drink yesterday night.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't think my last YouTube post worked, let's try this one.

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

I was unaware of Nobody's Fool being tied to a tv show, and I was completely unaware of the alternate version......

I should/would probably have posted it separately on Monday had I known.
    See how we go on this discussion today and tomorrow .... and if we need an extra day for everyone to be satisfied with what we have covered.... I have no problem with that. It is probably a little late to withdraw it now.

Don't forget Kentucky Moon though, it's an excellent track.
    Queenie is almost an incidental jam added for good measure

20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Nobody's Fool" was used for the second series of "Budgie", the theme music for the first series was great too and the opening titles, which I can't find on YouTube, are classic. Both series were recently re-run and, well, let's just say I doubt they'd get away with a lot of it these days!

21. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Kentucky Moon"

Let's address the elephant in the room first - Ray Davies appears to have written a part of "Bohemian Rhapsody" four years before that song appeared! There are three points during the track where there is a very clear piano quote from a song that doesn't yet exist...did Ray and Freddie borrow from the same source?

Anyway, this one has grown on me quite a bit. It sounds like a live studio run-through, and is all the better for it. I assume Ray is on piano, John G on organ? A very nice melody in the verse, the track gradually builds from uncertain beginnings as the slide guitar comes in. The lyrics pretty much state that Ray's never seen much of America and is making most of this stuff up - which would have been an interesting counterpoint on MH, although maybe we already get enough suggestions in the lyrics that these characters dream of an imaginary America.

It could probably do with a bit of editing, and would probably have got it if the idea had been taken forward, but it's enjoyable enough as a work in progress.

I'll comment on the other tracks later.

22. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970

1965 Never Say Yes

Nov 1970 Lola Vs Powerman And The Moneygoround
    The Contenders
    Strangers - live 1970 - Dave live
    Denmark Street
    Get Back In Line
    Lola - TOTP - video - alt version
    Top Of The Pops - video
    Moneygoround - mono
    This Time Tomorrow - 2020 mix
    A Long Way From Home - live 70's - Ray live
    Rats
    Apeman - video - alt stereo - alt mono - ToTP - Calypso - live 94
    Powerman - mono - 2020 mix - live 70's
    Got To Be Free
    Anytime
    The Good Life

1971 Golden Hour Of The Kinks

Feb 1971 Percy (movie) - trailer
    Mar 1971 Percy (soundtrack)
    God's Children
    Lola
    The Way Love Used To Be - Ray live
    Completely
    Running Round Town
    Moments - Ray live
    Animals In The Zoo
    Just Friends
    Whip Lady
    Dreams
    Helga
    Willesden Green
    God's Children Outro

The Follower
    Ray On Wonderworld

1971 You Really Got Me - Mini Monster EP

Nov 1971 Muswell Hillbillies

20th Century Man - single - Alt Instr - Ray live
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - live 73 - John Peel
    Holiday - live 73
    Skin And Bone - live 70's - Ray live
    Alcohol - live 75 - cartoon
    Complicated Life
    Here Come The People In Grey - live 72
    Have A Cuppa Tea - alt version - live 72
    Holloway Jail
    Oklahoma USA - Ray Live
    Uncle Son - Alternate
    Muswell Hillbilly
    Lavender Lane
    Mountain Woman
    Kentucky Moon
    Nobody's Fool - Cold Turkey(Kinks?)
    Queenie

Dec 1971 Muswell Hillbilly EP

1972 Muswell Hillbilly single (Jap)

The Kinks Live AT The BBC 1973

Preservation Live

Starmaker Tv Play

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade
    If You Are Leaving (71)

All Down The Line and The MEZ like this.
  23. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

It's been a while since I've seen an episode of "Budgie" - isn't it another of those 70s series set in London where the main character is a Fulham supporter? (as in Citizen Smith and Minder)

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Kentucky Moon: Ray Davies in John Mayall mode. This would fit right onto Mayall’s ‘The Blues Alone’ album. It’s an interesting song but certainly doesn’t belong on the album.

25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, he is a Fulham supporter! I suppose Fulham are an uncontroversial choice, I imagine there are some people who hate them (QPR fans?) though.

DISKOJOE, ARL and mark winstanley like this.