The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Nobody's Fool"

A very nice track that sounds much more of a piece with the slower tracks on Lola and Percy than it does with anything on MH. Great off-the-cuff vocal from Ray, and the simple backing enhances the poignancy of the song. The demo is much better than the "Cold Turkey" version. I've watched a few episodes of "Budgie" over the years, but can only remember the original theme tune from the first series.

"Queenie"

This doesn't really do anything for me - it would be nice to hear it with some vocals, but as an instrumental jam it doesn't hold my attention for its whole length.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I am thinking what Benny Hill said about assumption and what one makes of each other.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Will we start Showbiz tomorrow ? Before that, I wanted to add something about our beloved Muswell Hill record. I agree the “Americana” tag is not quite exact. I’ve used it myself a few times, I know, but only because it was definitely a touchtone record for the so called “Americana” (originally “alt. country") movement of the 90’s, consisting of bands who, after punk, indy or grunge, came back to a blend of traditional acoustic sounds and (often British) pop melodies. They were the Jayhawks (which Dave then Ray eventually both used as a backing band), Wilco (Jeff Tweedy covered Oklahoma USA), Old 97's, Whiskeytown, Blue Mountain, Son Volt (Uncle Son could be a Jay Farrar tune, wouldn’t you say @Zeki ?), Golden Smog or even bands like the grunge-lite Lemonheads or indy-experimentalists Yo La Tengo (who covered, you guessed it… Oklahoma USA).
    My guess is Muswell Hillbillies was such an important record for them all because it displayed a longing for authenticity and some romanticized sense of community similar to their own. The mythical "America" the Kinks sing about is "fa-a-a / ar away", and this is clearly something most American musicians of that time could relate to, even though their own distance with it was measured in time, not space. This album’s all about connection and disconnection, the gap between the spirit of things and the reality of things. Of course, it has some country blues elements or New Orleans Dixieland jazz influences to it. But as many’ve pointed out in the last two weeks, the whole thing is just as English as the Kinks ever were. As such, I think it holds a very significant place in the ever-evolving transatlantic musical dialogue, a place that should be acknowledged in rock music’s History : this elusive masterpiece by the most English of all English bands was one of the key influences on the 90’s American rock rebirth, just as the British Invasion was instrumental in the 60's garage rock wave. This is one of the great “footbridges” LP’s of all time, and it was clearly envisioned and devised as such by its creators. The fact they managed not to make it a theoretical / musicologist statement or experiment, but such an emotional and poetic journey will never cease to amaze and astonish me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Tomorrow will be folks chance to talk about the oft-mentioned Kinks Kronikles....
    Tuesday Showbiz gets a guernsey :righton:

5. mark winstanley

Another great post mate
    Yea, much like The Kink Are The Village Green Preservation Society, they managed to blend enough fact and fantasy to give us what we needed to hear, in a way that made it what we wanted to hear. It's not a history lesson, and it's not a protest record, but they are in there. It's not a fantasy record, but that's in there. It isn't straight rock, or country, or swing, music hall, folk, but they all share a little place in the grooves

I love it

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely.

I think this is exactly right. (And I continue to be grateful and impressed by my friend who just knew that Village Green and Muswell Hillbillies would be perfect for me and my taste in music).

I was reading a thread yesterday, the basic theme being that there haven’t been any further rock music ‘movements’ once the Seattle grunge movement ended. I considered entering the fray and offering a rebuttal…but finally decided the premise was too absurd. Because, to me, the 90s was, as you say, a time of rebirth; a time when the No Depression magazine was first published and the roots/alt-country/Americana (how I dislike that last genre tag) blossomed and entered a golden era . Though I will acknowledge a friend’s response to my non-stop Wilco praise: “You do know that hardly anyone knows who Wilco is, don’t you?” Ha! No, I didn’t. But it was a glorious era for me. (And, back to the ‘grunge last rock movement’ theme: Ray Davies listed (see thread post from yesterday) six favorite albums (appears to be all comps) in 2009. One was Brit-pop. There ya go, another ‘movement’ in the 90s).

Sorry for the tangent/rambling but I really enjoyed your post. In fact, I’m going to grab it and place it in my music notes folder.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Kentucky Moon

It took me quite a while to appreciate both this and Mountain Woman, but I'm quite happy to have this one as a bonus track on the CD.

Nobody's Fool

A delight. I heard the 'original' Cold Turkey version first, even managing to get hold of a copy of the 7" single. The singer, whoever he was, certainly tried to make themselves sound like Ray or Dave! Whilst the demo version may not be fully fleshed out, I'd have it on 'Muswell Hillbillies', regardless of it not fitting the theme.

Queenie

Not usually a fan of Kinks instrumentals, a large appeal for me is their lyrical content. However, I do think this is a nice interlude. Would be better with lyrics added, and I'm imagining 'Queenie' as an elderly lady, the matriarch of a large family...

8. CheshireCat

Muswell Hillbillies

My re-imagined tracklist:

SIDE 1
    20th Century Man
    Lavender Lane
    Here Come The People In Grey
    Complicated Life
    Holiday
    Nobody's Fool

SIDE 2
    Oklahoma USA
    Mountain Woman
    Holloway Jail
    Alcohol
    Uncle Son
    Muswell Hillbilly

I'd then release as 7" singles, 20th Century Man b/w Skin And Bone, and Muswell Hillbilly b/w Kentucky Moon

9. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Hello all! Back from my trip to Jamaica, mon! Had a lovely time and even got a little color. Now it's back to cooler weather and leaves fallen to the ground. I'm going to chip away at finishing up MH. Sorry about any repetition from others. I'm scanning over what people have said about it, but not thoroughly.

Have A Cuppa Tea
    OK, love this little ditty. @Vagabone said this reminds him of American music like Stephen Foster. Yes! Just what I was thinking. Back in my schooldays we learned a lot of folk songs from all over the world and of course focused on American stuff. Still love a lot of them to do this day and this song would fit in nicely with my favorites.

Love Ray's voice and Dave's noodling with different guitar sounds and the John's piano. And the "For Christ sake, have a cuppa tea" makes me giggle. Tea will solve it all, just sit down and have a cuppa, for crying out loud.

10. Wondergirl

Holloway Jail
    Really good one! Sounds tres Amercaine to me (sorry if I butchered French spelling there). Early on Ray's voice is sort of hidden within the music. Wish that was boosted a bit. Maybe it was intentional. I like the build up throughout the song.

11. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I’d miss Skin and Bones but this is a compelling track list. It does arguably throw off the story line but really, since it is more just a loosely tied theme, I’d argue back that the point and message would still get through. On the plus side, your list alternates the faster and slower songs in a way that would hold my interest well. I like the run of songs alcohol-holiday-skin and bones each individually, but I wish a more aggressive rocker was inserted in between. Your list does that (although it drops S&B to achieve it).

I know this thread focuses on albums, and the running order that the artists have chosen. I respect that and I respect the artist’s choices in that regard as well. …but I have been making mixed tapes and then playlists for years, so mixing it up in a way that I can hear the songs in an order that keeps me engaged with the artists’ art is key for me too.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Was idly counting the songs we’ve covered to date (actually, quite a serious endeavor considering how many alternate, live and tucked away versions Mark studiously indexed) and, throwing a number at the wall, decided on 222. With my 83 song (to date) playlist, that means a 37% ratio hit rate. Not too shabby.

13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

This Week in Kinks History:
    This week in 1975, The Kinks head out on tour in the US to coincide with the release of the new album Schoolboys In Disgrace, in the US. The show gets a great review by Sounds... "It doesn't take the sold-out crowd long to realise that this new Kinks show is chock full of humour, rock' n' roll and some of the most clever staging in rock."
    [​IMG]

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

thanks for summation of my absolute favorite LP of all time.

15. CheshireCat

I've just noticed I've missed off 'Have A Cuppa Tea'. And I don't know which track to sacrifice to fit it in. Will have to replace 'Holiday'. Or save it until 'Everybody's In Showbiz'...

16. Wondergirl

*if* I'm lucky enough to get to London like I want to next summer, i plan on going to Archway and reenacting the album cover (basically stand there with a pint. HA!)

17. Wondergirl

Oklahoma USA
    Only became aware of this song this year. And I can hear that it is a pretty and sad song. But it doesn't take hold for me...just yet anyway. Maybe someday. Ray's lyrics and music have a way of sneakin' up on ya when you least expect it.

When I was a teenager (early 80s) I was in a show that did many of the song from Oklahoma. if it had not been for that, I would know nothing about this musical as I generally hate this genre. But the songs in Oklahoma are good for what they are. I still occasionally sing "Surrey with a Fringe on Top" to myself or the title tune. Classic songs, I'd guess you'd call them.

Also could this song be considered a precursor to Celluloid Heroes?

18. Wondergirl

Uncle Son
    This song doesn't do much for me. Neither the music nor the lyrics hook me in at any point.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

We’ll still be working our way through the discography…so post a photo!

20. mark winstanley

Definitely. I reckon anyone that gets to go to a Kinks location should post a photo.... unless they have a want or need for anonymity

DISKOJOE, donstemple and Zeki like this.
  21. Wondergirl

^^ This video is how I became more familiar with this the song. I like that it's faster than the album version and so when I listen to the album version, it's a bit slow for me. Fun lyrics. Ray will always grab me with humor. "I'm gonna miss her bloodshot alcoholic eyes"...I guess in reality, this isn't a funny lyric...but I just love this description. Brilliant.

So I'm more on board with the live version of this song, like I am with a bunch of songs on Side 1.

Overall, I've come away discovering I do not LOVE this album as I hoped I would. Whatever you want to call the general sound...country/western/americana...it's too much of it on one album and the band loses me on that alone. There are moments of brilliance. I think the lyrics, in general, are GREAT. it's the sound. it comes down to that. But that's ok. Ray is adventurous with music and that's part of what I love about him. Sometimes he just goes in a direction that's not for me and that's cool. He'll come back to my sweet spot...I just know it! :D

22. Wondergirl

Because I'm hyper-critical of myself, I won't be posting a photo of little ol' me, but I would find a way to post something if I make it there.

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Well regardless of whether you post a pic or not, I hope you get to go :righton:

24. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Poor Jud Is Dead is actually kind of funny. My parents had LPs of all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals and played them a lot when I was a kid.

25. Wondergirl

Me too, thanks! My youngest MIGHT be spending part of the summer in England taking a few classes and if she does, that's more than a good enough excuse to get my sorry ass over there! I am going to roam all over Kinks territory(I know there are people who offer tours). There is a brewery called Muswell Hillbilly that I plan to visit too (https://www.muswellhillbillybrewers.co.uk/). Let's hope it works out as I do love London so!