The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Reminds me of Paul Nelson getting access to live tapes of the Velvet Underground in 1974 to compile the Live 1969 album. John Mendelsohn:

John Mendelsohn (musician) - Wikipedia

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Which reminds me, in turn, that Lou Reed was a big Kinks fan.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, that was interesting to me too.
    When we were looking at Something Else we found out Lou and John Cale were really into Lazy Old Sun.... it was very cool to read about that.

Adam9 and DISKOJOE like this.
  4. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

He also strongly disliked the Beatlers, so Lou was more than okay in my book :D

5. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I'm an unrepented beatlmaniac, but I always enjoy the "I hate Beatles" posture. Maybe I'm a bit envious, as a drug-addict looking at the clean world outside.

Adam9, DISKOJOE, CheshireCat and 2 others like this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He also liked saying things expressly to annoy people. Cale was a Beatles fan, I believe.

Ex-Fed, Adam9, DISKOJOE and 2 others like this.
  7. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Well, at least you know that you've got a problem ;)

Nah, I don't hate 'em (that much). They got a few good songs, were rightfully considered influential and Macca was/is a gear fab etc musician/singer/songwriter. Its just that the fanatics and the whole cult around 'em leaves me cold. That and of course the fact that Ray Davies alone IMO wrote more great songs in 1965 than that other bunch combined did in the '60's.

8. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

He also hated Cale from time to time, so it all makes sense.

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Kinks Kronikles
    This is a brilliant brilliant album and it's the early Kinks compilation I much prefer over Ultimate Collection or any of the greatest hits packages. There’s plenty of variety here. Waterloo Sunset, Berkeley Mews, Wonderboy, Shangri La, King Kong, Willisden Green: they could be six different groups! I think Village Green Preservation Society is under-represented because those songs really make the best sense alongside each other.

If you want to turn someone on to the Kinks you could do a lot worse than give them a copy of Kronikles - if you can find a copy.

I bought a copy in the late 70s in a Brisbane record store that stocked imports. I don't think I've ever seen another copy in my many, many hours of browsing second hand records in Australia, NZ and Europe.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  10. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

This and Muswell Hillbillies are my Golden Startime Kinky Holy Grails on ze old vinyls. Never been able to find either in great condition or acceptable prices so far. Love the tracklist. Almost too good :D

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Re-reading those wonderful liner notes properly for the first time in years, I’m struck by a lotta things:

1) I was thinking recently (regarding the eternal query of Why Aren’t The Kinks As Legendary In Rock Mythology as Beatles/Stones/Who/Beach Boys etc) that something they lacked early on was a myth making publicist or hype man, a Derek Taylor, a Loog Oldman, a Nik Cohn, a Lester Bangs even if we’re taking Troggs. It strikes me that in John Mendelssohn, they finally got one, albeit in an unofficial transatlanticly estranged capacity and one who would sour on their work almost immediately after penning this first and definitive critical essay on The Kinks in these notes. Reading back, it’s a revelation (and maybe a bit embarrassing) to see how many Kinks facts, myths and takes first appear in print here, and how many I’ve regurgitated into my own writings and postings over the last quarter century. It’s like the UR-text of Kinks Kriticism for me and I bet many others.

2) I first read these notes (having ordered the CD import of this through Tower Records to acquire the 6 songs I could not get anywhere else) at the age of 16 in 1996, so back then I read Mendelssohn’s notes with an unquestioning assumption of the authority of elders, but from my 41 year old perspective today it strikes me how young he was when he wrote these notes (25 seems zygotic to me these days!) and how much they stand up without qualification. He writes with a sharp wit, a breadth of appropriate referential Anglospecific colour, a keen and complete understanding of the Kinks and the meaning and resonance of their work, one I definitely hadn’t achieved by my mid 20s and am still working on, as well as (as @Fortuleo mentions) a seemingly unique (and definitely enviable) access to and knowledge of the obscurer corners of their output that we’ve only recently caught up with in the digital and box set age, and that in 1996 and I’m sure in 1972 seemed like some heavily masonic level Kinks fan insider baseball. I mean he mentions The Long Distance Piano Player! What Kinks fan (esp a US one) had even heard of that back then! And he just tucks it in as a sly allusion to the similarly named Sillitoe story/film for his 12 or so countrymen that would have got that in 1972!

3) One tiny tiny complaint though: why does he say John Dalton is ‘fair haired’! He wasn’t! A puzzler, esp as Mendelssohn saw them many times live in this era.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

No it's "Muswell Hillbillies" I find musically samey

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Oops. I thought it was an odd comment. I’ll edit that out then.

14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Mark was so quick posting his thoughts on "Kink Kronikles" that I got caught out.

15. mark winstanley

I made it halfway through. I'll have to read the rest later.

It's an interesting write up. It struck me he mentioned all sorts of, what I would imagine to be, obscure sorts of things.

DISKOJOE, CheshireCat and ajsmith like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Sorry

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wow

DISKOJOE, ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

“…and the country-flavoured Johnny Ned Mendelssohn & His Clean Hankies.” :D

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I will never understand the heaping praise the tracklisting for Kinks Kronikles gets when there is ONLY ONE VGPS song included.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Really! I noticed he did reference Muswell Hillbillies (in passing) so it must have been after that if he “soured.”

21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I don’t think it was meant to be a definitive best of as much as a thoughtfully curated hits, rarities and by-ways comp. I think it was intended to work as a compliment to the main catalogue available on Reprise at the time, which included VGPS.

There are very few LP only tracks on the album, and since VGPS was all LP only cuts, it loses out. Face To Face and Percy probably get more attention than the more feted albums released in between because they were both unavailable in the US at the time (the first had just been deleted, the second was never issued in the first place).

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It really starts to show in his next set of liner notes for ‘The Great Lost Kinks Album’. Also apparently his 1984 Kinks biography (which I’ve never read but would like to) propagates the ‘it was all over after 1972’ theory.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Prior to two or three weeks ago I had no knowledge of anything (other than a hit single or two) post-Muswell Hillbillies. So I could very well feel the same way once I hear the music. (I’ll save my Show Biz initial thoughts for tomorrow).

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ah, one nitpicking Mendelssohn liner notes thought. I’ve always thought the four chaps were remarkably handsome!

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I seem to recall coming across Kronicles (or maybe it was GLKA) at a record fair back in the 80s, but it would have been far too expensive for me (probably £20+) at the time. Looks like an interesting compilation, but one I've never owned. The sleeve notes are "something else"!