The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

My Mrs likes Pumpkin pie..... dessert pies are huge in the US...... I'm not really a fan. Meat pies are a favourite, but completely unavailable in this weird country ..... it seems like most of the food in the US is designed to give doctors and pharmaceutical companies more customers :)

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

That seems to be very much an American thing.

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Apparently only 2.4%(!!!!!) of new cars sold in the US are manual transmission, which is mind boggling to me. In the UK it's 51%, it was 65% in 2016, so even here it's trending towards automatics.

4. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

In Chicago we don’t put ketchup on hotdogs and pies are for pudding.

DISKOJOE, rontoon and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today in Kinks history:

On this day in 1966, Dead End Street was released as a single in the UK, with B-side Big Black Smoke. Recorded on October 21st 1966 at Pye Studios (no. 2), the track hits no.6 in the charts.
    [​IMG]

6. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

My last car was an automatic. First time I bought one. Should have done it years ago. So easy now.

7. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Definitely regional. If he really enjoyed the pizza from a particular place, my grandfather (born/raised in Brooklyn) would say "They make a good pie there!"

I've been in New Jersey my entire life, and although we don't say "pizza pie" combined, we do call them pies often. "Can I order a large pepperoni pie?" "A small pie?" A friend of mine moved to Alaska, and when he went to his local pizzeria there and asked for "a large pie", the guy behind the counter asked if he was from New Jersey.
    Finally, I'll just say it. Although delicious and I love it, Chicago deep-dish is not a pizza -- that is a casserole. :hide:

8. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Maximum Consumption

A funny ditty. Though it sounds nothing like it, this song always reminds me of "Take a Load Off Your Feet" by The Beach Boys. The lead vocal even has a little Davies-style quaver.

9. Fischman

Maximum Consumption.

I keep burning up calories as fast as I keep putting them down,

Ahhh, the good ol' days!

Seriously, what struck me this morning while listening to this song... how I could see a New Orleans brass band playing this while marching down Bourbon Street.

As much as we give the Kinks kredit for being kwintessentially English, they sure have mastered a variety of inherently American forms.

Anyway, fun song.

10. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

"Maximum Consumption", a pleasant enough song in which Ray compares himself to a food eating machine, as well as an automobile. Speaking of which, remember when I compared the 60s Kinks w/the classic British sports cars of the era? Well, the 70s Kinks are somewhat like the British cars of that era, w/the British Racing Green replaced by something a bit more garish, the wood in the interior replaced by plastic and the chrome bumpers replaced by big plastic buggy bumpers, but it's still the Kinks & still has a manual transmission!

11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

What's up w/that? I always put ketchup on my hot dogs.

12. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I keep burning up calories as fast as I keep putting them down

To me, that's the key line. Ray, I guess, belongs to the nervous, anxious type who seems to be burning everything it engulfs.

The song is fun, depticting the dayly life of a rock star not as the usual sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, but as a continuous food orgy. I concur with our leader about the necessity of pre-gig fasting; but Ray is talking about breakfast here, I believe. Maybe lunch.

I like the horns here. Music is simple but efficient. Not a great song, but a fun number.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And Ray still doesn’t know how to drive!

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Maximum Consumption

The way the music is styled and the horns utilised far more reminds me of Muswell Hillbillies than the previous opening track here.
    I enjoy Dave's backing vocals & slide guitar plus Gosling's measured piano lines though find the lyrics to be pretty jokingly sarcastic but it's all good.

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I’m from Chicago. I do think ketchup on a hot dog is gross. Mustard is king. The Chicago hot dog also has tomato on it so no ketchup necessary. They take this seriously. Although, my younger brother would put ketchup and cheez wiz on a hot dog. I thought he must have been adopted.

I say pizza pie from time to time. Also, the pizza style most Chicago folks eat is super thin crust cut into squares. Now that I’m on the west coast, I make my own pizzas. I have one coming up tonight.

The clutch thing is pretty recent. I drove a manual from the very beginning and only went automatic about five years ago. I am now looking for a used car and might actually go back to a manual car because they are cheaper and nobody wants them! I was kind of surprised at how far they have dropped off the map.

I will comment on the song after my two eggs over light.

CheshireCat, Zeki, Fortuleo and 4 others like this.
  16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The SACD layer of the Velvel SACD also has the longer version. The CD layer has the early fade.

17. mark winstanley

Hmmm the hot dog dispute....
    For me, fried onions, mustard and tomato sauce ...... ketchup, what kind of word is that lol

18. Fischman

About this time, My dad had a classic Triumph TR3
    This was in the age before seat belt and car seat requirements. I was just a wee tyke at the time and got to ride in the cubby behind the seats, which was essentially there to hold one suitcase.

We got caught in a horrific sandstorm in the southern California desert and the sand stripped one side of the car down to bare metal. Fortunately dad had comprehensive insurance and used it to his benefit as he was never keen on the standard hunter green, and had the car repainted in his beloved sapphire blue (not an original Triumph color).

[​IMG]

19. Fischman

Hot dogs?

I go Colombian!

[​IMG]

20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Chicago style for the win- all beef hot dog, tomato, onion, relish, pickle, sport peppers, mustard, celery salt on a poppy seed bun.

I also like a sauerkraut, onion, and mustard dog.

21. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Forget the hot dogs. A braut is the way to go!

22. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Maximum Consumption – This is the sound (“woozy New Orleans barroom,” maybe?) that I associate with this Kinks period, and it’s not always a positive association…I guess I have to be in the mood for it. @Steve62 used the word “lurches” to describe this song's movement, which seems about right.

Lyrically we get another, ahem, taste of the routine grind of the road, with lyrics lifted from American menus. It doesn't seem to be anything special lyrically or melodically, but the horns and John Gosling’s piano interludes salvage it as an OK album track for me.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  23. mark winstanley

I've had several US variations on the hot dog, and it's hard to go too far wrong...
    To me it all comes down to the quality of the sausage (Percy is going to linger on this thread I fear), and I agree 100%beef is the preference.... personally though, I prefer the more basic variety 90% of the time.

Smiler, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I'll make a hot dog with brauts, polish sausages etc etc.... I have no time for frankfurters.... as Jessie says on breaking bad "You know what is okay to put in hot dogs? Huh? Pig lips and assholes. But I say, hey, have at it bitches 'cause I love hot dogs."

25. Fischman

Which makes the no ketchup/mustard only thing even more critical.

Spicy German mustard.

And strong sauerkraut!