The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Well, I did sweep out my yard yesterday morning :)

CheshireCat, Zack, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Excellent post.

3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Oh, I see the headmaster is getting impatient! OK, then, I’ll be the contrarian on one thing : I much much much prefer the studio Alcohol to its live rendition. I agree that it was meant for live performances, that it's a brilliant one and as I said in earlier posts, I do wish I’d seen the band during that tour, with that line-up and the Mike Cotton Sound in all its glory. But nothing can replace or re-capture the atmosphere and musicality of the original studio take for me. In general, as far as music is concerned, I like all the Muswell tracks better on the original record, because it’s a rock band performing, backed by an excellent brass section. On the live record, they sound like a more unified ensemble, which is great as well, but the rock part – the guitar sound(s) especially – gets a bit lost in the process. A key reason must be Ray is performing these numbers empty-handed (without a guitar, resonator or not), so it becomes something else, something good, even great, but something very different, himself stepping outside the band, in a way. The balance is different, the focus is different, it’s almost a different art form. I don’t mean this as a criticism, but it’s my heart’s choice : the Muswell Hillbillies sound, “muttered” as it may be, the Muswell Hillbillies tone and mood, “dreary” as they may seem to some, and the Muswell Hillbillies guitars, even on the “brass” comedy songs, all these elements just hit home with me every time. No live version, no covers, no acoustic takes, no demos, no nothing will ever beat that for me.

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I was just YouTube cruising when I saw this, a TOTP version of that Arthur Daily song by the (funny) Firm that Avid All Down the Line first brought up, introduced by John Peel, no less. I didn't know that it was a UK hit:

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Speechless. (Especially as I was anticipating seeing the Paul Rodgers fronted band. Same timeframe, isn’t it?)

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Me, too. I started writing a couple of posts this a.m. but deleted before posting. Your sentence here is enough.

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I confess to having not heard most of the live bonus tracks released post 1972.
    Edits aside i do agree that having much of the live discs focus largely on one album to be somewhat disingenuous, and would prefer selections to be more reflective of their grand and storied career.

8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

The performances being discussed today are of interest to me because they are live versions of songs from Muswell Hillbillies which is the album of theirs I am most bonded with. I place none of these live versions above their studio counterpart especially "Alcohol"! Some Kinks live recordings have elements of "you had to be there" and while Ray balancing a bottle of Heineken on his head would be compelling in person, nothing compares to the refined studio take.

9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

An interjection - and confession - about "Baby Face." I liked that silly track so much that I performed it solo on piano for my high school talent show, bewildering and alienating just about everybody. But I had a really great time doing it. Because, as you know... Everybody's in Show-Biz! :angel:

10. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

By the way, I received my copy of Muswell Hillbillies, a German 1972 pressing, and was very disappointed by the sound quality. I expected something brighter, it's all deafened and muddy. The CD and digital versions sound much better. Bad luck with the pressing, I guess ?

I enjoy being one of the few supporters of this live album, it makes for a change

11. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I barely ever listen to the live record. I doubt I have much to add, but I will give it a spin in its entirety later and see if anything stands out. I'm pretty sure I prefer all the studio tracks. I will report back!

12. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Is it a Dynaflex?

13. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

one need only listen to Mr. Avory’s ‘striptease’ drum intro to set the (ahem) mood...

14. VGPS

VGPS Forum Resident

Miles behind on posts , but apparently Ray tried to pull Dave Hill's wig off! Ray was banned from the BBC bar as a result.

15. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Although the Muswell Hillbillies album is not my cuppa tea, in general its songs are more appealing to me in this live context...they sound like the “comedy” (Ray’s word) songs that were always designed for this loose, boozy live setting, and also the recording ambience is much more to my liking. I won’t comment on every live Muswell song presented here or as bonus tracks, and likely won’t listen to them often, but “Holiday” is my favorite of the bunch.

Not my thing, but I can see how “Muswell Hillbilly” would have been a fun “Okie from Muskogee”-type singalong in a live setting back in the day.

Despite being popular enough to make best-of compilations, the lengthy “Alcohol” camp-out leaves me with a feeling of “guess you had to be there, and preferably under the influence.”

Anyhow, I find the Show-Biz live material is best visited in the bonus disc of the deluxe reissue (except for missing the excellent "Brainwashed").

Just an aside: I share some of @ARL ’s annoyance with Ray’s pronunciation of “schizophrenia” as “schizofreena” in “Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues.” It brings to mind my recent revisit to “Conquistador” on The Best of Procol Harum and wincing every time I heard “conKWISTador,” putting me off the song. It’s sort of like a laptop computer showing up in a movie that's set in the 1940s or something…come on, people, show me the respect of doing your homework!! At least Ray’s song is light-hearted enough to (mostly) go along with whatever he was trying to achieve with saying it that way. There, glad I got that off my chest!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  16. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

In the UK 'conkwistador' is the correct pronunciation. Your pronunciation is North American.

conquistador noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

'Schizofreena' is Ray being idiosyncratic and rather silly.

17. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Which is tantamount to being the wrong pronunciation.:cool:

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Weeelllll.... as it is the English language, and England is the central country of the UK, it's really just the US being disagreeable isn't it :)

Put the U's back in, get those Z's out, and put the S's back in, and get the Rosetta Stone English pronunciation video :)

19. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

20. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Surely "conquistador" is a Spanish word, though, so England has no more authority to dictate its pronunciation than the US. Inasmuch as there is a correct pronunciation, it should be the Spanish pronunciation. Of course, this opens the can of worms that Spanish pronunciations are far from uniform across the Spanish-speaking world. ;)

21. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

My pronunciation isn't just North American, it's the original Spanish! But duly noted for the UK. :targettiphat:

EDIT: I see @Bungo made this point.

Adam9, zipp and The late man like this.
  22. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

In certain ways, American English is more similar to the 1600-1700's English from which it branched, than current English is. One noteworthy example is that both American English and 1700's English are rhotic (loosely speaking, this means that "r"s are pronounced), whereas modern English is not. So in that respect, it wasn't the Yanks who changed, it was the mother country. See e.g. Why Don’t Americans and Brits Have the Same Accents?

"At first, English speakers in the colonies and England used a rhotic accent. But after the Revolutionary War, upper-class and upper-middle-class citizens in England began using non-rhotic speech as a way to show their social status. Eventually, this became standard for Received Pronunciation and spread throughout the country, affecting even the most popular British phrases. Americans kept their rhotic American accent—for the most part. Port cities on the East Coast, especially in New England, had a lot of contact with the R-less Brits. So if you always wondered why Boston natives pahk theyah cahs to pahty hahd with a glass of cabahnet, thank rhotacism."

23. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

LOL! I once had a very funny, acerbic Beefeater tour guide at the Tower of London tell a group of us Yanks: "We gave you a perfectly good language -- USE IT!":laugh:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  24. Wondergirl

Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues.
    Holiday
    Muswell Hillbilly
    Alcohol

Still holding on to my belief that this live record is a good thing. It really brings Muswell Hillbillies songs to LIFE. If not for this recording, I would never appreciate Muswell Hillbillies as much as I do. It would've been much less obvious about how these songs were meant to be played live...and not be 'deadened' in a studio. I said recently about how much I would have LOVED to see the band during this time period. Ray was completely outrageous and flouncing about. I'd rather see this than any of their 60s shows.

I am OBSESSED with the live version of Alcohol...this version is pretty good and frankly any crappy bootleg of this song is incredible. It changes from night to night (or year to year?) seemingly. What fun!

25. Wondergirl

:laugh::laugh:

mark winstanley and Smiler like this.