The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Cricket

This one took several listens to fully absorb. Again, a complete contrast to the previous track. Musically, it calls back to the drunken Preservation (Music) Hall genre that we saw on a few songs on Muswell Hillbillies and stretching into EISB. So I also don't think this would sound out of place on either of those. But the seeds of this throwback sound I think can be traced back to Something Else (End of the Season) and 1968 (Till Death Us Do Part).

Until @mark winstanley 's intro and discussion of the sport of cricket, all I knew is that it was a cousin of baseball -- coming from the same lineage of sport. Now I can appreciate some of these terms and what they mean, so that is good to add context to this song. Without that, it seems like some sort of inside joke among the band and their English fans. Good to be brought in at this point!

Lyrically, I think this is fantastic. The running simile between life and cricket is great, and I just love the lines at the end of the verses such as "..and come to God's call with bat and ball." .... "So keep a straight bat at all times, let the Bible be your guide, and you'll get by..."

Ray's soaring melody near the end of the verses is the hook of this song to me, perhaps along with those trombone scoops. Just great stuff, but again, took me a several listens to really get it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Cricket"
    Yes. We are coming to the end of this Kinks style which makes me very sad. I really wish he hadn't totally abandoned it in his later years.
    I agree that it's one of those Kinks songs that could actually be at home on any album since Something Else. Songs like this could be called The Kinks at their Kinkiest.

A fantastic effort from @mark winstanley to explain Cricket to all of us who have no clue about this sport. I can't say I read the entire thing because I honestly don't care much about Cricket, or any sport for that matter. However, I like having a bit of knowledge on the subject and watched a few minutes of the sport online a couple weeks ago. It does make the song more interesting if you know at least a little bit about the game. I love Ray's analogy between "This age old game of Cricket" and life. Maybe later I will go back and read the entire explanation and try and watch the video that was posted.

The Tom Waits comparison is pretty spot on. Isn't that a Swordfish trombone I hear on this tune? I love it. Another excellent song for Preservation!

3. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

LOL! I, too, appreciate the effort of @mark winstanley to explain cricket, but since my memory is almost full, to borrow a McCartney title, I am also going to pass on trying to understand it. Some years ago I learned that cricket games can last for days, and my attention span (as well as dwindling life span) has shrunk so much that I can't even get through a 3-or 4-hour baseball game anymore, so that ruled out cricket as a potential interest for me.

I can appreciate what Ray is doing lyrically on "Cricket," and I don't mind the Salvation Army band arrangement, other than the draggy pace. But unlike most of the songs we've covered, for which my appreciation was enhanced by repeat listening, this one is falling more into the novelty camp for me. I won't necessarily skip it when listening to the album, but it's the weakest track for me.

4. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Cricket
    It has character and is British. Sung in the style of the vicar presenting his sermon to the church congregation. And yes, I can imagine that church, close to the village green, with an ancient Yew tree in the church yard. I expect there's a pub close by, where the vicar and several of the congregation no doubt will gather after the service before going home for their Sunday Lunch (roast beef obviously). I expect the cricket pitch is close by, and the vicar probably plays for the village team on a Saturday. I expect the team retire to the pub for their cricket tea.

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of vicars, sermons and cricket at the best of times, and this character piece is not one for me, although I can see how it introduces who you would imagine to be an important character in the musical. A change of direction must have jettisoned the vicar from further contributions to the story. Vocally, this travels too far into the realms of novelty for my enjoyment., hence it becoming my least favourite track on the album.

5. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Haggis and bagpipes.

6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

On the other hand irony is quintessentially British,

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Was wondering btw, do we stop for Christmas? What’s the plan with regards to the festive season Mark?

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I was kind of thinking about that.....

I guess I can skip posting a song on Saturday, as many will be busy with preparations, driving to the rel's house and such.....
    That should work yea?

I'll be twiddling my thumbs. I was exposed to several covid positive folks, tested negative, but am pretty much off the Christmas visit list this year ..... looks like chicken and cheese sandwiches for me :)

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Sounds good to me! If ‘Father Christmas’ had happened to fall on that day I’d maybe reconsider, but ‘Sitting In The Midday Sun’ seems kinda non season appropriate…

10. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Very sorry to hear about that, Mark.

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

What a fantastic track - thanks for posting. I'll probably buy the album!

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The Duckworth Lewis Method are Irish by the way.

13. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

In my youthful schooldays we'd regularly play during the summer (if it wasn't raining). Usually every man for himself.
    Likewise forced to play rugby on sodden, water-logged pitches at school.

Back to the thread though. Quite a surprise when I first heard it many years ago but these days I enjoy the song a lot as its unique sounding and Ray's clearly having a ball. I couldn't imagine the band doing or trying anything like it outwith Preservation.

14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

But thankfully, no zither music is required!

DISKOJOE likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

Although it's supposed to be 70f here, so perhaps I will be :)

DISKOJOE, ARL, ajsmith and 1 other person like this.
  16. mark winstanley

No mate, it's all good.

My assistant got cleared to come in on Monday, and the other guy tested negative this afternoon....

Mainly I don't have to cancel my week off as the last man standing lol
    Damn this strong immune system :)

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Makes more sense.

18. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Yes of course. Half Northern, half Southern. Neil Hannon has become such an embodiment of Britishness to me that I always forget this. Son of a vicar, by the way. Even better, son of a bishop.

In defence of the situation of the song at mid-record : it's the last glimpse of peaceful England that we get before the weather starts to change. A game of cricket, with the incredible level of leisure it implies for participants and followers, is the epitome of a peaceful England, or the appearance of it. It's the higher classes enjoying a tranquillity that's paid for by the working class. Below it, there is the reality of the factory on the one side, and the corrupting power of money on the other. Which leads us directly to the next song.

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Neil Hannon is British. But let's not open that can of worms.

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sounds like Flash and Black are operating in tandem from each end and landing heavily on the crease as bouncers fly in all directions!

mark winstanley, DISKOJOE and ARL like this.
  21. All Down The Line

True, and it's amazing how he bowled on rain affected or damaged wickets, but to be fair he wasn't called "Deadly" for nothing.
    Amusingly he was often promptly called to the crease whenever Gregory Stephen Chappell arrived in the middle!

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Our headmaster has correctly explained the offspinners & legspinners directions off the pitch from the bowlers viewpoint, how could we hold in question Mark Waughstanley?

23. All Down The Line

You are not missing much as 2 tests in the English have failed to turn up, clearly the boat got lost and a B team was substituted!

24. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Cricket

I love this song. For me, this is one of the top songs on Preservation I.

I find it very funny, for one, so Ray has my heart there. Also I'm a baseball fan and putting aside the morality part of this song, there is a certain historical romanticism to cricket that I also find in baseball. So I relate on that level.

The music lumbers along quite pleasantly. The horns are tremendous. That old timey Dixieland sound pairs up well with this "age old game". It simply works wonderfully. And Ray is no doubt having a blast singing this. You can feel the energy and joy in his voice. He's giving it his all and having fun with it.

Well done.

25. mark winstanley

Lol question away.
    I was a little confused as to how I was wrong there, but perspective is always the main factor

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.