The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Good point but to quote Dylan Ray needs a dump truck to unload his head.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

True but not typical of the bulk of the rest of the material on Sell Out.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice that he could put it in such an unassuming way. :laugh:

4. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

When a Solution Comes
    Diggin' this track! This song combines song and lyrics incredibly well to paint a picture of a madman. Perfect!

I hear a combination of George Harrison(especially the vocal without question) with a touch of Bowie/T Rex.

Great buildup in this song to the bridge. Can picture Mr Black by a window rubbing his hands together ("in anticipation") and doing an evil laugh. For some reason I picture Montgomery Burns playing this part ("Excellent"). LOL

And the last guitar bits are ominous and scary. Great! Is it what one would expect of the Kinks? Heck no. But it is an engaging song.

5. Wondergirl

Well said!

mark winstanley, DISKOJOE and ajsmith like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

No humor at all in today’s song but I don’t think it’s absent in the entire album. I’ve scribbled a few notes in advance of our discussion and know I have designated one song, at least, as comic relief.

7. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

For sure, but particularly when you factor in Rael, it is clear that the album is transitional rather than the last of an older style.

8. Wondergirl

Some pics from Preservation being performed (sorry for the watermarks)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Great! Does Ray change coats/hats when switching character?

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. Wondergirl

Y'know what? I'm not sure...but I believe Ray is QUITE busy during this show.

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Looks like the Licorice Allsorts* coat for Flash and a different coat for Mr Black (who I presume is the one addressing us through the cut out TV: great photo btw!)

* not sure if this travels outside the UK or not, but these sweets are always what I thought the Mr Flash coat was a print of: similar colour scheme anyway.

Liquorice allsorts - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

12. Wondergirl

I remember reading that the Flash robe was bought in the women's department somewhere by Ray. Not sure if that's true though.

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Those are all Flash I think. As I said earlier in the thread the look is based on Max Miller.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The coat in the TV one looks (slightly) different to me though I could be wrong, plus it would seem to suit the Mr Black songs more (Shepherds Of The Nation in particular) to be performed as televisual party political broadcasts.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Today would have been Pete Quaife's 78th birthday, so it seems an appropriate time to post this picture of the greatest bassist of his generation alongside Paul McCartney.:hide: :nyah:

[​IMG]

16. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I wish I had a clearer memory of the entire show. My brother and friend that were at the show with me don’t remember much more than I do. Yes Ray was pretty busy. One of the few clear recollections I have was of Ray dressed as Mr. Flash being chased across the stage by a huge projection of Ray as Mr. Black. Black was pointing an accusatory finger at Flash, as Flash tried to get away running back and forth the length of the stage. I thought it was a neat solution for being able to have both characters on stage at the same time. I don’t remember Ray changing costumes, but he may have for today’s song. Definitely more Ray as Flash throughout the show.

17. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The coat that Ray is wearing on the Telly is different from the remainder of the piccys. Speaking of which, that piccy of Ray in the cut out Telly is pretty funny to me. If the live show was done today, they would use real TVs.

18. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I love this post and totally agree!

19. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today in Kinks history

Original bass player and founding member Pete Quaife, was born on this day back in 1943.

Edit... just saw @ajsmith post.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It is, yes, but it isn't typical of the style and feel of the album, just as Bell Boy isn't typical of the style and feel if Quadrophenia.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is what I found on kindakinks.net:
    “If anything, the complete Preservation extends the borders of the Krazy Kinks sound a trifle, while retaining the basic punch, intelligence, and humor that has always been the crux of the group's barroom rockin' music.”

The entire piece, written by Andy McKaie, is well worth reading:
    Kinks Alive! - The Kinks, Preservation Act 2

22. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

VH’s version of YRGM is one of the rare covers where I think both are equally good. Van Halen made it their own while managing to take nothing away from the genius of the original. I actually think Van Halen’s version of Where Have All the Good Times Gone is the superior version. All that said, I think the kinks do a fantastic job of reclaiming both songs, as well as Stop your Sobbing back from the Pretenders, on the live album, One from the Road.

23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"When A Solution Comes"

What a song! It's most likely my favorite on the album. "Black out a pale blue sky and everybody's gonna be terrified" not only has a hint of Harrison, but I can also hear some Randy Newman in the delivery of that line. "Because they're all going to feel the bite, and there's gonna be a revolution." I have been singing this on my many walks to the park. It's such a beautiful melody set to some bleak lyrics. The electric piano, drums, and guitar are all fantastic. I want to learn the parts for all of them. I recently got a digital piano and I'm learning. Last night I had some fun playing along to this album and just trying to occasionally hit the right note. "The red, black, yellow and white, and even the Arabs and the Israelites." even has a touch of McCartney in the vocals. The first part of the song has Ray in an Abbey Road sort of mood.

Then the second part kicks in and becomes something completely different. Many have commented on a Bowie or T.Rex sound, but I'm hearing a band that wore similar boots and trousers. It has the cool and campy flavor of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. It ends in a striking fashion with the horns or sirens being sounded off. A big warning going out to the village that here comes Mr. Black!

This belongs on any best of The Kinks compilation. They haven't lost a thing. Ray is still delivering the goods!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  24. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Tis a shame that Ray couldn't have played Flash, and Dave played Black. Or vice versa.

The late man, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes. And Gosling (he did the Elvis sounding song, right?) was another prospect for at least a bit part.
    Edit: maybe it was too hard to sing, act and play the guitar…all at the same time. In fact, no maybes about it!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021