The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I only got the last three albums just before the thread. I have listened to each once to dip my toe in the water, but as yet have no opinion on any of them.

2. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

That is where the 'shame' part of my equation comes into play. I've had them for a long time but there's always a Muswell Hillbillies or Lola that seems to eff up my plan...

3. mark winstanley

Nah, no shame. That's the whole point of the thread, revisit, reassess, become more familiar, and possibly broaden the choices from the auto-pick/s

4. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Indeed. Cuz it is so much easier in such a vast discography to pick the ones you prefer. Then again, I've always loved Sleepwalker (because one of the things that hooked me when I first got Konverted was the BBC clip of "Life Goes On") and the '80's records. I blame Chrissie Hynde for those, tho.

5. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Everyone on this thread has been great thus far, that’s a very true statement. If anyone is going to be open minded, it’s this group. I’ll stop banging my drum now.
    :hide:

6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I always avoided Think Visual because the album cover is so awful. UK Jive isn’t much better, but I finally gave them a listen a couple years ago and was actually pleasantly surprised with both albums. I haven’t returned to them often, so they are still albums I am not very familiar with, but I recall each had several songs I liked. I’m not sure I can say the same about Phobia, but I need to eventually spend more time with their last 4 albums.

I wish I could find the last three on vinyl. I haven’t seen them lately. Think Visual seems to be an album that was always in the dollar bin. It’s probably $40 now! I don’t recall ever seeing copies of UK Jive. I’m sure by the time we get there, I will find them. It would be nice to have the album collection completed when we wrap this up. I’m only missing the last three.

7. mark winstanley

Lol

8. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

According to Discogs, my London CD of Think Visual is worth three times the value of my MCA vinyl (we're talking £14 v £4 roughly). Buy now, because the value of Think Visual will shoot up after I've finished waxing lyrical about it...

9. palisantrancho

Ha ha. It looks like I could buy a US copy on Discogs for under $10 with shipping, but that’s never as fun as finding a copy in a record shop.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, the CD prices for UK Jive, Think Visual and To the Bone are pretty high, which is why I don't have those yet! And with To the Bone, having to buy more than one version to get all the songs is another annoyance.

11. mark winstanley

They still exist?

12. palisantrancho

Yes and doing very well! I’m not a fan of the prices these days, but still plenty of good shops not ripping everyone off.

13. mark winstanley

There is only one I know of anywhere near me, and it's a bit of a hike.

When I was young I had about five I would go to, and they all got plenty of business... most of them knew me lol

14. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

They are the only ones that I do not own on vinyl. But a local vendor have UK Jive and the other one that I cannot recall the name of plus the live album (The Road?) for approx 10 USD for each. Maybe I should bite...

15. palisantrancho

I’ve always lived a short walking distance to at least one record shop. The closest one now isn’t great, but my two favorites are both only 3 miles away.

16. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Low Budget through Think Visual was a heck of a run. The latter is unfairly slagged.

17. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

For whatever reason, UK Jive and To the Bone are the only Kinks LPs not available for streaming (at least for me), which could drive the prices up a bit. I bit the bullet and picked those up, they weren't cheap as I recall, but no regrets, especially UK Jive, quite fond of that one.

18. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Underneath the Neon Sign
    This song is fairly new to my ears as it wasn't on the Starmaker TV show. But my goodness, isn't this a pretty song. It may not be a "pretty" theme, but it just grooves along and takes you on a slightly woozy walk at night.

I love how Ray's vocals are right up front. Not being hidden by the music. yes, I heard a crack or two in Ray's voice which doesn't bother me. And obviously it didn't bother Ray. I know Ray is fond of mistakes in the recording process. Maybe Norman is feeling dehydrated after a big night of drinking. So much love for Ray hitting the high notes on the "signnnn".

this starts off side 2 nicely. So far I love this album.

19. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

This makes me very happy :)

20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

That's good to hear. But I AM a little surprised that you don't love it more. I know you LOVED Preservation 2 and made no secret of that. But I definitely am not seeing gushing from you for Soap Opera. Which of course is fine...all I'm saying is that I'm a little surprised the enthusiasm level isn't a little higher.

22. DISKOJOE

23. DISKOJOE

Avid Wondergirl, off topic, but how was your snow crop this past weekend? I got plenty of snow, but the way the winds were blowing, half of my back yard was actually clear of snow. It took me 3 hours to snowblow my driveway & walk out yesterday.

24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I didn't know about that! Probably as it seems to have been a USA-only release.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

This comp actually has two unique mixes: “UK Jive” and “Now And Then” have been remixed on this release.