The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I think she says "Is that him?" in a surprised/admiring tone.

Incidentally, the name Jack is often used for these oddball or exceptional characters.

My Name Is Jack, Happy Jack and Jumpin' Jack Flash come to mind, but you may be able to find others.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

We can have a day to discuss the label swap if everyone wants to.

The label swap doesn't mean that much to me really.

Personally I think the concept/theme album phase had run its course.
    Essentially from 68-75 the band recorded ten albums that were themed to some degree or another, so unless particularly inspired to do something specific, it was time to move along.
    As many have stated, the Schoolboys theme is pretty thin, and tying it to Flash so loosely kind of suggests even Ray was at a loose end, as to where to go next.

As for the band's sound and style... I see a pretty smooth arc, dipping their toes in various pools along the way.
    I personally don't see the big disconnect that some do with the next album.

As I say though, we can certainly set a day aside to discuss it if everyone wants to.....

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    markelis, Smiler, Fischman and 4 others like this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My view is that everyone can provide observations during our usual album-overview-day. But I don’t care. I’m just getting my toes wet now.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Jack The Idiot Dance"

"Hey, who's that groovy looking dude dancing with all the chicks?" :)

I prefer the second half that begins at the 1:30 mark when he goes into his straight ahead Jerry Lee Lewis impersonation. This isn't the first time Ray has referenced the song "High School Confidential". I'm starting to think he might have loved Jerry Lee Lewis!

The start is a bit silly, and I can hear how that might grate on some nerves, but it is saved when "You ought to see that idiot bop". I can't imagine any fan of rock n roll not enjoying this new dance craze. This song may seem like a simple throwaway, but I find it to be quite clever and amusing. Many other bands were either already partaking or about to join in on the 50s rock n roll revival. The Kinks do it as well as any of them. There are parts of this song where I can hear Flamin' Groovies, Stray Cats, The Cramps, and even Alex Chilton. I guess there is also some Sha Na Na in there, but The Kinks manage to make these "novelty" songs sound like a more genuine blast from the past.

I figured this might be one of the least liked songs on the album, but I am pleasantly surprised that it's also getting many of you to "wriggle your backside".

5. mark winstanley

It may actually be a good exercise for us to try the discussion of the changes .....

Folks can air their grievances, or thoughts or whatever, we may get some info for context to help others who are completely unmoved/unphased by the change....
    and most importantly, after we have gone through the first few, it could be a good exercise for folks who were bothered in some way by the change to go back and see if a deep dive altered their view in some way or another...

My only fear with the idea, is that it will create an unnecessary disconnect, and instead of a smooth flow through the albums with fresh ears, it is possible it could just cause contention that will harden the resolve against the move, rather than soften the heart towards the move

With that in mind...

This is what it would look like

With the discussion day

Thurs - Education
    Friday - The First Time We Fell In Love
    Saturday - I'm In Disgrace

Monday - Headmaster
    Tuesday - The Hard Way
    Wednesday - The Last Assembly
    Thursday - No More Looking Back and Finale
    Friday - Greatest Hits/ Celluloid Heroes
    Saturday - The move From RCA to Arista

Monday - Sleepwalker

Without The Discussion Day

Thurs - Education
    Friday - The First Time We Fell In Love
    Saturday - I'm In Disgrace

Monday - Headmaster
    Tuesday - The Hard Way
    Wednesday - The Last Assembly
    Thursday - No More Looking Back and Finale
    Friday - Greatest Hits/ Celluloid Heroes
    Saturday - Sleepwalker

and this is the only way I know how to do this .......

6. mark winstanley

If you Want to have a discussion day for the RCA to Arista change

like this post

7. mark winstanley

If you Don't Want to have a discussion day for the RCA to Arista change

like this post

8. palisantrancho

Since it falls on a Saturday why not just do the usual? If people feel the need to discuss the change at greater length, then Sunday could be a deeper discussion day?

I have no vote though. I am fine with either way!

9. mark winstanley

That works for me. I just try to keep it open so we head where most want to

10. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

That's a good point and something I wasn't considering when I made my suggestion. Actually, the kind of discussions I envision would probably work better as an entirely separate Steve Hoffman forum thread.

My initial thought when I proposed it was that such commentary would unfairly clutter the discussion day of what rightfully belonged to the Sleepwalker LP overview.

But maybe I'm over anticipating things and I'm one of the few who feels like RCA to Arista is much, much more than a label change. I see it as a reinvention of band purpose and philosophy that filters down into the grooves of the vinyl. They became a different band. Not quite Jefferson Airplane to Starship, but different in a way that is recognizable nonetheless. I might be one of the few who sees it this way. I dunno.

Anyway, the proposal where the break falls on the weekend makes sense. It would be nice to start Sleepwalker proper fresh after a weekend break. That's my vote.

11. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Jack the Idiot Dunce
    I want to hate this song, but I just can't. It's so stupid. :laugh:

The very start of it reminds me of "Rush Hour Blues". So right away you know this is a full-0n musical song.

And immediately you know that this is also a full-on 50s take. Before this thread I never ever used the word pastiche...and I just looked up the word to be sure I am correct in saying this emphatically: of course this is pastiche. This is 50s style rock 100%. (and I'm feeling a sprinkling of what the Ramones would do in the near future).

The absolute best bits are the two middle eights(am I right in calling them that?). this part especially:
    And you don't need brains
    To have educated muscles and booooones.

With the handclaps and great Ray singing. It's worth getting through the first third of it to get to this part.

I understand what this song is here for, but there is some discomfort to read the lyrics. I'm not offended, but it makes me feel a little weird, y'know?

and what is said at the very end? "that 'im?"

12. mark winstanley

It's all good mate.
    As I say, I can see pros and cons both ways... and I just want to roll the way the main body wants to, because this is for all of us.

All Down The Line and Fortuleo like this.
  13. Wondergirl

That's a piece of trivia I didn't know about! Good ol' WCVB. Almost got a job there once.

14. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I've always thought it was Ray (as Jack) saying "is that it?" in a nerdy/geeky voice?

15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I agree the evolution isn't really tied to a label change.

It was time for the concept albums to come to an end. Anything else happening at the time is likely coincidental.

Moreover, aside from the 50s throwback stuff, musically the group is already well underway in the move to arena rock at this point.

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Not exactly true, Clive Davis did suggest to Ray that he might think about writing some hits... and no more concept albums, if you please.

17. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

OK, I voted for having a day on the RCA to Arista change, but on second thoughts, this could very well take place over the weekend together with a discussion on Sleepwalker launched on Saturday. That would make sense, I believe. When discussing the way we encountered the album, how we feel about it and what memories are tied to it, we will automatically drift towards the topic of the "gap" or lack thereof that we are perceiving at that point in the Kinks discography. And we would have two days for it.

18. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Jack the Idiot Dunce

I sorta wish one of the last lines would have been Jack the Idiot Dance, because that is what this track becomes about. I think I'm in the camp of not liking this one too much. Maybe because I wasn't around in the 70s to live through the 50s throwback era, that is why. I do like Grease, and enjoy an episode of Happy Days, but I don't love them. As far as Kinks 50s pastiches are, I wasn't super crazy about the 50s "rock rockin' rockn' roll" section of One of the Survivors (but I did love the REST of that song!). This song seems fully 50s pastiche, and it's just too much for me. Although I do LOVE its use in Ordinary People. This seems too on-point. And while I do appreciate the demon-Mike Love vocal take, and I do love the Beach Boys, those 1961/1962 car songs are perhaps my least favorite Beach Boys era. So that does me no favors here.

All that said, it is a fun rocker. The bridge is around 1:30 is my favorite part because that sounds more like the Kinks being the Kinks.

19. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I have always had fond memories of watchingWelcome Back Kotter as a kid. Recently, I played an episode for my fiancé since I was talking about the show and she had never seen it. Sadly, in my estimation it has not aged well.

20. palisantrancho

It was never a great show, but it can still be pretty entertaining. Mr. Kotter always kind of annoyed me. Great opening song though! At least in my opinion!

21. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

The Beach Boys were not a big part of my youth as I grew up in an Anglo home and their records were not in my home when I grew up. In later years, Mike Love didn't help! I find them interesting but the behemoth I decided to forgo. I actually own Pacific Ocean Blue on a recommendation from a friend.

22. Wondergirl

I do NOT get the love for the Beach Boys.

23. Wondergirl

Well, up her nose with a rubber hose.
    :D

24. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Much like the Kinks, The Beach Boys output from 1965 - 1972 is unrivaled in my book. A few songs have rightly ended up on the “Greatest 500 songs of all time” lists, but the less popular stuff from 67-72 is criminally underrated. There are many songs of that period that would surprise you as released by “the Beach Boys”. This thread has made me realize there is more in common between these two bands than I had realized.

25. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Jack The Idiot Dunce

This is the kind of music these guys cut their teeth on and they play it with aplomb. The album is off to a nice start. There's a loosesness here not seen in a while. Ray just sounds like he's having fun and so does the band.