The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Kris-AOTY

Kris-AOTY Guard the Spark

As far as I Go To Sleep, I have to confess I never realized that wasn’t a Pretenders original. I knew about Stop Your Sobbing but didn’t realize she covered Davies twice (well, apart from their relationship).

Hearing the Cher version really puts the Pretenders take in perspective. Cher sings like a proto-Chrissie there. Makes me wonder if I’d have liked Cher more if she’d been more of a rocker chick than she was. Or if Chrissie Hynde would have been bigger if she’d experimented more with wigs and auto tune.

2. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Do you have an address where I can send you some complimentary sweets? They’re from a box I found in the attic labeled Kavorkian Industries.

Martyj likes this.
  3. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

It’s a tough nut to crack, for sure. I always heard it as “arm” but “own” was probably the intent, and maybe that is what he is singing. I don't know. What’s the chance that it was written as “own” but in the course of multiple takes Ray—in a playful mood—did one where he said “arm” as a joke and they keep it in because, otherwise, it was the most overall satisfactory vocal? And, for what it’s worth, his “arm sweat” is his “own sweat,” so it works regardless.

Anyway, this doesn’t come close to Ray’s most indecipherable phrase. Wait ‘till we get to Village Green’s “Johnny Thunder.” I’m saving my energy for that debate.

pablo fanques, zipp, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  4. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I'll concede: that is a good James Bond title.

And by 2022, just as every band will be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame because they've run out of inductees, every phrase will have been used as a title for a James Bond film.

5. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

That would never apply to a British gentleman as it is normally associated with workers during a coconut harvest.

6. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Ray makes it to ballroom dancing.

zipp, donstemple and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I Go To Sleep
    What a magnificent song. When I heard the Pretenders version on release, I already knew the song from my childhood but I couldn’t remember who had sung it. I’d read that it was one of Ray’s songs so I presumed that The Kinks had put it out in the 60s. This was of course pre-internet days so it took me a long while to figure out that prior to Chrissie, it must have been The Applejack’s version that I’d known as a kid. I don’t think I’d heard Cher’s version. A pity that all we have from The Kinks is Ray’s demo (beautiful as it is).

Tell Me So I’ll Know
    Another dreamy beauty.

8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I already said everything I have to say about this tune in a previous post (click HERE).
    :kilroy: The most interesting thing here, is the fact that it's very similar in meter, tempo and overall feel to "This Strange Effect," and yet, unlike that song, it somehow didn't manage to garner any cover versions. The main difference between the two is that it's in the key of E♭m, while "This Strange Effect" is in Dm, although Dave Berry took it up to Em.

Once again, we have a tune where the harmonic minor scale + the overall feel conjures up images of go-go dancers in genie pants doing Egyptian arm and neck movements. It definitely would've been a much better choice for the "Kwyet Kinks" EP than "Don't You Fret," which would've been better off buried somewhere on side two of the next album.

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"I Go To Sleep" is a very pleasant track. The simple arrangement is nice and the sound quality gives it a somewhat haunting vibe. If this were on a Kinks record, I would prefer it like this and not some full band version. Perhaps it's me but I don't feel Ray is nailing these bridges yet. Things get a bit wordy and they always seem to just trail off.

I think "Tell Me So I'll Know" has more of the supposed eastern vibe than "See My Friends" did. I enjoy this, but it's not really a Kinks song. It sounds like it's custom made for another artist. I couldn't see this fitting on any of the albums in this state. I want to mention something that I keep forgetting to mention. Many songs so far have included the word "things" and I believe in every case except maybe one, both Ray and Dave sing "thins." "So Long" is one example and this is another. They never say the g. "Ain't no point in talkin' 'bout the thins we used to do." Interesting.

The MEZ, pablo fanques, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My two cents in this scintillating debate:
    I’ve never heard anything bit “own sweat” and never had any doubt that’s what he says. As noted, it parallels “own back yard” earlier in the verse.

Beyond that, it would be odd for him to specify arm sweat. What makes more sense... for him to think his own sweat smells better than anyone else’s, or for him to think the sweat coming from his arms smells better than the sweat coming from other parts of his body? The former underscores his egotism, the latter just seems bizarre.

11. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I Go to Sleep is a beautiful demo. And what an unusual piano part. It's almost avant garde, with its minimalist clusters of pulsing notes. Such a vulnerable, quirky lullaby. I agree that on the demo, the bridge breaks the mood a bit. Cher's version handles that part better.

This Strange Effect has a great lyric hook, and the hook is the title. "Tell Me Now" is a better, catchier melody with a lesser lyric hook.

My old bandmate/bandleader Steve Wynn covered "This Strange Effect" in the 90's, on the album prior to the one I toured. I apologize if we haven't gotten to that one yet... I've lost track a little, and it keeps coming up in conversation.

12. Steve E.

When i hear "arm sweat" i think "underarm" or "armpit." Which is indeed a smelly place.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Because we definitely need to get to the heart of this important issue, I always thought the reference to was to arm (pit) sweat, which is generally considered where by and large BO originates. On the other hand . . .

Purple Jim, FJFP and mark winstanley like this.
  14. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"I Go To Sleep"

Out of all the versions I have heard, I still believe The Kinks simple demo is the most effective. The sparse arrangement with the piano and Ray's vocal is perfect. It doesn't even sound like a demo to me. I guess they could have added a few minor touches, but this would have fit beautifully as it is on the next album. It would have been an excellent album closer. I love this song.

"Tell Me Now So I'll Know"

The Kinks perform in Harum Scarum! Elvis could have used Ray's help on some of his movie soundtracks. Was this a song that was never released? It does sound like a song that probably was intended for someone else. I really like the Holly Golightly version that was posted. It fits her style really well. This is another good song that should have been released in some way. Perhaps on an upcoming B-side? It's amazing how much quality material got tossed to the side. His songwriting was developing so quickly that he probably never thought twice about digging up any of these unused tunes for future releases.

15. Steve E.

She's the daughter of a well respected man.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

All I hear is a piano. I’m in the car now (parked) and just listened again. No drums. No bass. Just piano. We’re talking about the I Go To Sleep demo, right? Or am I confused?

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. Steve E.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Well at least he didn't sing, butt crack sweat lol

Steve E. and Buddybud like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

135 by my count. (And, no, I’m not counting anything else!)

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If that was his intention, he probably would have used the phrase "his armpits smell the best." I've never heard anyone use the term "arm sweat" before. I guess ultimately for me though the deciding factor is that it sounds like "own" and always has to me.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

All I know is I’m keeping out of the Great Sweat Kontroversy. My wife already thinks I’m nuts for placing my ear next to the car speakers and muttering about (not hearing) drums.

(The things I do in the interest of The Thread).

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The quote is referring to the 7 song demo session that took place that day. ‘I Go To Sleep’ is definitely just Ray and a piano, but there are additional instruments on some of the other demos.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Phew! Got it.

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

When I first heard "Sweet Little Rock'n'Roller" I thought to myself, "Is that where Ray got the title?"

Steve E. and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, sorry mate. All these demos appear to have been recorded on the same day. I presumed some having full instrumentation meant the band was there...

CheshireCat and Zeki like this.