The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

When I saw The Kinks in 81 they went into a long musical introduction of Stop Your Sobbing, just when the vocals would come in, they launched into ...... "David Watts"

markelis, Wondergirl, Ex-Fed and 7 others like this.
  2. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I'm glad you reported this because I have a good live recording of a show around this time where Stop Your Sobbing was aborted soon after the start. I've always thought it was a flaw in the original tape recording, but you've solved that particular puzzle for me.

3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I’m not with the general consensus about Stop Your Sobbing. The Pretenders version is of course fantastic and it is undoubtedly the historical one, the one that builds bridges between two very distinct rock eras, even going as far as making an astute commentary about what the punk and power pop scene were all about, and about the Kinks legacy. But I absolutely adore the original 1964 take, this tentative sound that was being invented, in a primitive, unadorned, youthful way. The Kinks have always been part-power part-charm, and this song’s wonderfully charming. Unfortunately, I don’t think the live take has that same quality. Again, the drums are weird, they find themselves almost in the way of the song developing its whole pop potential (disagreement here with @pyrrhicvictory). Not a big fan of the synth/organ either. But, again, my lukewarmness has a lot to do with my passion for the song in its original form. I can think of dozens artists I like from all eras that could’ve done splendid covers of this, Hollies, Byrds, Stones, Badfinger, Big Star, Nerves, Modern Lovers*, Teenage Fanclub, Fountains of Wayne, Bangles, Costello, Sneetches, Lemonheads, Elliott Smith, Eels, Wilco, I could go on forever, this song has that elemental quality and I can almost “hear” (and enjoy!) all these imaginary versions in my head right now (I'm not saying any of them would beat Chrissie, though).

* Note : Jonathan Richman did do it on an excellent 2002 Kinks tribute CD

4. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Also, may I say how relieved I am to be on this thread after detouring yesterday into a thread involving They Who Shall Not Be Named - some of whose fans make me think of how religions may originally have started.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    markelis, Wondergirl, Ex-Fed and 6 others like this.
  5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I'm with you on this. The innocence of the original version is a marvel. Fun fact: that original version of Stop Your Sobbing was used beautifully in the Queen's Gambit series on Netflix - I nearly fell of my chair in shock.

6. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I've always been uneasy with this oft told tale in Kinks lore, and how it has become a mere anecdote rather than something bigger. Spitting in ones face and a punch is pretty serious stuff. It's amazing Chrissie just shrugged it off. I suppose that's the difference between 1980's and the 2020's. If Dave did this today it would be international news and he'd be cancelled quicker than Will Smith can say "Aw, hell no!"

markelis, Wondergirl, Steve62 and 8 others like this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Sidebar: I just discovered this band late last year and the lead singer’s voice reminds me of Chrissie Hynde. And she’s from Ohio, too.

Heartless Bastards ‘A Beautiful Life’:

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

According to Rogan's book Dave was doing a lot of spitting in people's faces at this time. Just ask John Gosling - Ray preferred punching him in the face though.

9. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

I really like the live version of Stop your sobbing. Both the original studio version and the on on here are good. It's just a great song.

markelis, Steve62, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  10. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

On my way home from food shopping this morning, I heard "Tired of Waiting" on the AM oldies station that I listen to in my car. Just like back in 1965. Too bad food prices aren't like 1965.

Anyway the next trio of songs from One From The Road are interesting choices. First comes "Misfits", a nice counterpart to the previous songs, altered song and all. Next comes "Prince of the Punks", which is an interesting choice for this album since 1. It was only a B Side and 2. Its lyrics probably went over the head of 99.9% of the audience, who probably most likely weren't into 1977 British Punk. It's a nice live version though. Finally comes "Stop Your Sobbing", the first song on the album that references a cover of a Kinks song, by the Pretenders. It's a good version, probably not a good as the Pretenders', but enjoyable nonetheless, especially w/the "He Kissed Me" coda. Props to Avid Fortleo for mentioning Jonathan Richman's cover, which appeared on the This Is Where I Belong Ray tribute album which came out on Rykodisc, a label started and headquartered here in the Witch City.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I am amazed Chrissie would ever befriend him after that infantile thuggery!
    N.b. I bet Ray clobbered him for that one!!!

12. All Down The Line

You make a valid point and i witnessed the detours final stages before combustion & i hope our headmaster is ok!

Ex-Fed, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  13. All Down The Line

It could well result in another stroke as well for his trouble!

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  14. All Down The Line

Dave or John?

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

John. He's not going to pick on someone his own size!

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It should have been closed day one as a vs thread

Wondergirl, Ex-Fed, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  17. All Down The Line

He's hit David before.

18. All Down The Line

?

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Heartless Bastards have some good albums. My wife put me on to them.
    I think they were the first band I saw live in the US

20. mark winstanley

Yea, no safe spaces for me :)

21. mark winstanley

Corrected... the "one" went walkabout

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Percentage of income spent on food in 1965 was much higher than now! (Just happen to be reading a book that points this out.)

I hope so. (Though why they’d tolerate this when The Kinks had already been banned in the past, much to their career detriment. Though, who is “they”? I don’t know. Is anyone in control?)

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thoughts on setlist flow: I think I would have suggested ‘Misfits’ and then ‘Sleepwalker’. The latter starts out with a strum and then builds up to a crescendo. From there, go into ‘Prince of the Punks’.

Or if that isn’t acceptable; ‘Misfits,’ and then ‘Stop Your Sobbing’. Then ‘…Punks’.

24. mark winstanley

The million dollar question

All Down The Line, DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.
  25. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Shorter version of Misfits works well in the concert context.
    No surprise Stop Your Sobbing was added back into the setlist at this time which was a smart decision. Apparently not performed since 1964 though!
    Both Misfits and Stop Your Sobbing here have two keyboards going at the same time, electric piano and synthesizer.

Prince Of The Punks is the surprise here. At this point it was a two year old B-side and even then only three confirmed performances in 1980. Nothing before or after.