The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And I thank you not, the late man! (As I clicked on the video. :D )

2. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Some burdens need to be shared. I'm sorry.:D

3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Glamour
    I don't hate Dave's music...it just doesn't grab me immediately. In fairness, first impressions can sometimes change dramatically once you get in Dave's head space (someone here said something similar I believe).
    And as others have said, you can clearly this is a better production over the previous album...by miles.

Reveal Yourself
    This one speaks more to me. I'm hearing new wave for sure. Goes on a bit too long. There's something to this song and maybe needed more work to tighten it up.
    "For life is nothing but a movie show" - sounds a little familiar.

World of Our Own
    I kinda like this track. Has a good feel to it. Dave is not assaulting us with guitars which is really quite nice for a change. And his voice is sounding good as well.

4. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today in Kinks history:

On May 5, 1967, ‘Waterloo Sunset’, one of The Kinks most iconic and enduring classics was born. Considered one of the defining songs of the 60s, it was once called "the most beautiful song in the English language" by critic Robert Christgau. ‘Waterloo Sunset’ has inspired countless covers, rumours about the identity of Terry and Julie, and "sha la la" singalongs. In honour of the single’s 55th anniversary, a limited 6 track, 12” single on lemon yellow vinyl featuring the original artwork from the French 1967 release will be available June 18th.

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Body
    Too much of a musical collage without enough coherence. Interesting parts; less interesting whole.

Too Serious
    Competent rockabilly/new wave fusion.
    Fun for a while, but not really up to repeated listenings.

Telepathy
    Even more 80s than the last. The kind of music I mocked at the time, but I'm finding it rather entertaining now.

6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I regret to inform you all that I STILL cannot tolerate GLAMOUR at least. Pure tuneless sodden metaly clamour and I can not find a way into it, still. I KIND of think no one on this list would let a single side finish if we didn't have some interest in the whole Dave Davies thing, but I will not question the interesteds sincerity in earnest.

7. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I gets you. ;)

8. The late man

Well, you're kind of questionning it nonetheless... And it's a legitimate question, that I often ask myself, if only momentarily. Would I listen to Sean Lennon's work if his name was not Lennon ? Yes, definitely, Dead Meat at least is a great album, and there's great musicianship in his psychedelic projects. Would I give a record like Egypt Station a chance if there wasn't "Paul McCartney" stamped on it ? Well, probably not. Would I care for such and such song, if it hadn't been written by a friend or an acquaintance (I had this one in mind this morning) ? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but generally I know the answer at the bottom of my heart. Would I care for Dave Davies's records if he was not Ray's brother ? I don't know, really. I think nowadays my interest would be raised by many songs on AFL1-3603, because there really is something unique about them, and unusual chord changes tend to attract my ear. Fewer songs on Glamour would do the same, but some like Reveal Yourself probably would.

But then, I think it's vain to expect the context not to matter. And much like the nurture and culture thing, it's probably impossible to unravel. If those records were brought to my attention as the work of an unknown 1980s lost band, I might draw interest from the simple fact of listening to an obscure and forgotten act, and that would tinge my listening experience in a favourable way. If it was sold to me as some contemporary hitmaker's lost masterpiece, maybe I would feel less inclined to like it, but also maybe not. A different cover art also would draw my ear in a different direction. Still, there is something unusual in Dave's songwriting style that appeals to me. There is also a dimension that scare me, in the way an unpredictable, agile yet untrained mind can scare a well-ordered bourgeois brain like mine. I don't think any context would take these aspects away from his recordings. What might happen is I would not allocate so much of that rare commodity that is my working dad and husband's time to these songs if it was not for the context of this thread. But then, there is no such thing as a free market of listening experiences. We and music don't exist in a vacuum of circumstances, do we ?

Edit: I should add that I would certainly not give the 80s and 90s Kinks a chance if they were not the Kinks ! And the fact that part of me really wants to like what I hear will affect my judgement. I don't mind, with age I made my peace with my biases.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Body

This time around I clearly hear the Devil sound unlike a couple of days ago.
    The opening riff is a good one though the lead lines following are like chalk on a blackboard.
    There is a riff running throughout that sounds like the first part of the lick from GTPWTW!
    Not going to think about these lyrics.

10. All Down The Line

Too Serious

Excellent rocking guitar intro and some nice lines that compliment the vocals.
    Some ordinary and repetitive rhymes here plus we get the word 'body' again and the word 'ooh' several times, one of Dave's favourite asides.
    There's some Salvation at the end of the Road with Dave's incisive outro solo!

11. All Down The Line

Telepathy

Before i listen the lyrics read a bit scarily and now upon hearing them i find they sound like they're sung by a Spivvy salesman.
    Again the guitar riff is quite good though the ascending vocal note in the title phrase does not endear itself to me and i'd prefer he return to his Partyline!

12. All Down The Line

Was the joke on him?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Brilliant explanation! Thanks for articulating so well considerations that, for most people I think, would be beyond explanation.

DISKOJOE, Zeki, donstemple and 3 others like this.
  14. All Down The Line

Did-yer-idoo!

15. All Down The Line

Be back by a quarter to five!

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Body, Too Serious, Telepathy
    I don't know whether I've had an epiphany or am pithed from just one glass of wine but I really enjoyed listening to all three of these songs. I'll check back after I cook dinner to see if Dave's spell has worn off. :winkgrin:

17. All Down The Line

Very sorry to hear of your dialysis need as i am 53 and it seems this is prevalent in our family and may await me sooner than I would wish but not at my current age.
    I can only hope to have an ounce of your dignity, drive and lack of self pity should I arrive at this juncture.

18. All Down The Line

You certainly should be, @mark winstanley where is that cane of yours?

DISKOJOE, Steve62, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

What are the other 5 tracks?

20. All Down The Line

Someone covered 80's Dave???

21. The late man

If I remember my Herodotus right, the ancient Persians used to make decisions in 2 stages: if they were drunk when taking the decision, they re-examined it sober; and if sober, they re-examined it when drunk.

3 songs are awaiting for your Persian verdict.

DISKOJOE, Steve62, donstemple and 3 others like this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

7th Channel

stereo mix (3:29), recorded Mar-Apr, 1981 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Bide my time,
    Everything will be in line,
    Mystic rhyme,
    Nine and three and five are mine,
    Memories,
    Past, future, now,
    Show me,
    Just where man's destiny will lie.

Human race,
    Outa space,
    Travellers.

Make a race,
    And mutate,
    Warriors.

Unify,
    Open eye,
    Clarity.

Human race,
    Outa space,
    Travellers.

Magnetize all your actions powerfully,
    Energize everything you touch and see,
    Change minds,
    Rebuild the world,
    Unlock
    The healing power in you heart.

Human race,
    Outa space,
    Travellers.

Human race,
    Lost in space,
    Warriors.

Make a race,
    And mutate,
    Warriors.

Unify,
    Open eye,
    Clarity.

Magnetize,
    Energize,
    Travellers.

Human race,
    Outa space,
    Warriors.

Unify,
    Open eye,
    Clarity.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: DABE Music Limited, London, 1981

We open with some tension building, and then we move into a guitar riff that is very similar to the central part of Black Sabbath's Megalomania, which is very interesting.
    Also interestingly the vocals start off sounding a little like Ozzy.

Then we get an interesting breakdown that pulls back into an unusual melodic structure with the vocal following it.

Then it breaks into a sort of bright, poppy sounding section.

It is again, a sort of odd song.

These are some goofy lyrics, and if I had heard, or paid attention to them back in the day, I would have feared Dave was on his way into some form of institution.

I don't dislike this track but it is all over the shop musically. I assume he was trying to do something a bit different, and aside from the, sort of, Sabbath rip, he manages to make something different.

23. mark winstanley

Eastern Eyes.

stereo mix (5:26), recorded Mar-Apr, 1981 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Eastern eyes they cry,
    Western eyes they cannot see,
    Memory is gone,
    I'm alone, and I am free,
    In my mind I see
    All my spiritual history,
    Egypt calls me back,
    But I must change the past in me.

Chorus: Oh, could it be a love
    everlasting for you and me,
    Peace let there be,
    I know now I love you,
    Oh, let it be,
    Please leave us be,
    We are seeds of heaven, eternally.

Eastern eyes they smile,
    Over all our western trials,
    All we see will fade,
    All that's real will be again.

Chorus: Oh, could it be a love
    everlasting for you and me,
    Peace let there be,
    I know now I love you,
    Oh, let it be,
    Please leave us be,
    We are seeds of heaven, eternally.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: DABE Music Limited, London, 1981

This is a pretty good closer.

Again Dave's lyrics move into a somewhat unusual zone, that leans towards a little goofy.

There are parts of this one that remind me of Muse... but only parts.

We have a straight four beat I believe, but the phrasing is kind of playing against the beat, and it gives the feel of trudging across the tundra.

We start off with a bit of an atmosphere setting style, and then we drop into that jagged groove. It sort of staggers forward with tired legs, and Dave sings the nicely drawn out melody over it.

The chorus moves into a different dreamy kind of feel and it is the melodic structure here that makes me think of Muse.

We have lots of synth fleshing out the backing, and adding some texture.

The change back to the verse comes off a little awkward.

Another verse and chorus, and then we have a spacey kind of synth melody/lead break. That sort of builds up and then drops into some synth chords for a fade out.

Again, a fairly interesting song

24. mark winstanley

Glamour.

I don't dislike this album, but I do much prefer the first solo album.

This album has a unity of sound and style, but I'm not sure that I love that style. There is nothing specifically wrong with it, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

World Of Our Own is probably my favourite track.

I'm not sure I have much to say about this one. It is a little unusual, Dave's lyrics are starting to get way out there.
    It sounds uniform and works as an album, but I'm just not sure how much I like the album.
    It could well be that being so new to me it hasn't clicked yet, but I have given it a few listens, and for now, the main thing I could say is it is interesting.

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Lyrically, the oblique ruminations of '7th Channel' seems like the equivalent of the bit in Dave's autobiography about 3/4 of the way through where he takes a complete left turn into spiritual mysticism for a couple of chapters. I was reading that book at age 16 just trying to get some hard info on my favourite band, and suddenly I was plunged uncomprehendingly adrift into an arcane text that was more like something you'd find behind the beaded curtain of a new age health shop. Throw me a line here Dave!

I will definitely pick Glamour up if I ever see it the wild on vinyl now, but I still don't think I'm ready for it. 'Telepathy' was about the only track that had immediate appeal for me. I'm still glad there's room for stuff like this in the larger Kinks ouvre though.