The Kinks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

All you lovers of The Kinks unite! Just a thread where we can talk about this great band.

2. Dr-Sardonicus

Dr-Sardonicus Forum Resident

Recently heard the Lola album for the first time. What a record, Get Back in the Line is a perfect track.

3. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

"Waterloo Sunset" is one of the best tracks ever released as a single.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

As I wrote a coupla weeks ago (in a thread that got whacked after about an hour):

Ray Davies is the Brian Wilson of England. The same way Brian created and explored his own musical world of beach parties, drag races, and endless summers, Ray took us on a journey through a storybook England of tea shops and village greens. But his nostalgia sometimes turns on him ("People Take Pictures Of Each Other", "Mr Churchill Says"). Was the world really the way he wants to remember it? Ray isn't even sure himself.

As pointed out by other writers, Ray has proletarian sympathies but fears the drab dreariness of a worker's paradise, and longs for the dear old British Empire. The ironies abound.

Another aspect of Ray's "otherness" is his frequent sympathy for the middle-aged "square", a segment of society usually ridiculed by popular music. Arthur is essentially dedicated to this idea.

Of course, as with Brian Wilson, no one would care much about these ironies if they weren't encased in beautiful melodies

The Village Green Preservation Society is my favorite album. I guess that's the same as some Englishman who's never been west of Bristol having a country album as his favorite. Is it a true portrait of England? I've never been there so I can't say (I've never been to Brian Wilson's Southern California either). But I know it's a fascinating exercise in world building -- and in some cases, world-destroying.

There is no one else in popular music quite like Ray Davies.

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My all time favorite album:

[​IMG]

A live performance of the "little known album track", on BBC TV in 1973. The addition of a horn section gives it an Edwardian brass band quality, as opposed to the genteel folk of the original.

6. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Phobia on vinyl for RSD this coming Saturday. Can't wait!!!!!

ted321, Matthew Tate, bvb1123 and 5 others like this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just got into The Kinks last year.
    Moved beyond just a few hits.

Darryl

bvb1123 likes this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Great band, one of my all time favourites! Preservation Act 1 & 2 are highly under rated!

9. As I've said in other threads, the Kinks are very much hit-and-miss for me. For every song I love, there's one I skip over.

But I think that I shall never hear a more beautiful pop song than "Waterloo Sunset", or catchier than "Victoria".

mikedifr0923, phantomime and bvb1123 like this.
  10. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

After having thoroughly explored their golden run up to 1971, I've been working my way through their 70s and 80s stuff.

I've really come to appreciate 'Schoolboys in Disgrace' -- it's now one of my fave Kinks albums.

And 'Low Budget' is also growing on me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

One of the greatest ever. Saw them lots if times from 1972 on. My first show was Carnegie hall that was used for the live portion of everybody's in show biz. I saw them do preservation two nights in a row in 74. They opened the show with a set of their regular material followed by preservation. Great stuff.

12. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

So many stunning songs. I've taken my time getting into each album (most recent unbelievably was Muswell Hillbillies) but my love of them swells with each new track I take to my heart.

Matthew Tate, bvb1123 and usrlocal like this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

When I purged most of my "rock" albums years ago, I hung on to Face to Face through Arthur, and of course Kink Kronikles. That was a great run. Ray Davies was the Cole Porter or Noel Coward of his time, and no one else in rock/pop music had both the melodic and lyrical skills that Ray had.

14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Great post! The Kinks hit me like no other band for many of the reasons you cited here. Greatest concurrent run of singles and albums from 65-72 ever.

Dave Hoos, bvb1123 and peachyg72 like this.
  15. bvb1123

So far Something Else By is my favorite but that could change. Really like Face To Face and VGPS too. The late 70s - early 80s albums are great. I've never gotten into a band this quickly and enjoyed it this much as an adult. Just an awesome band.

16. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

My second favorite band after The Beatles. Absolutely brilliant, especially from ‘64-‘71.

Matthew Tate and bvb1123 like this.
  17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Well said. Also, Ray was the only genius in The Kinks. Sure, Dave wrote some good songs, but he had not even close his brother's talent. I think it was the same thing in the Beach Boys with Brian Wilson (yes, I believe Mike Love is light years from Wilson's talent). Lennon and McCartney had each other, Jagger and Richards too. But Ray Davies and Brian Wilson have little to envy those, they were just alone.

Today's Kinks listen for me has been the live part in "Everybody's in showbiz". Great stage moment by Ray.

Tord and bvb1123 like this.
  18. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Mike Love isn't the guy I would be looking at in trying to make this point.

Edit: In fairness though you are right - Brian was the total auteur behind the Beach Boys in their initial run through Smile (and had a pretty big hand on and off through Sunflower.) Ray even considered quitting the touring band in 66 or 67 (I don't remember if he actually did miss any shows) saying something like "It is the Brian Wilson life for me" at the time and saying he was just going to focus on the records. And of course he was also dealing with his own issues and breakdowns at the time ... the pressure must have been immense on both artists.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  19. A well respected man

I think by the time Dennis Wilson blossomed as songwriter, Brian Wilson was already submerged in his "dark times".

john lennonist and bvb1123 like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

21. Arnold Grove

22. A well respected man

I love this song, I don't understand how they didn't record a proper studio version for release.

23. bvb1123

Didn't they have a kid together or Something?

Adam9 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Yes, a daughter Natalie. But Ray had zero to do with her upbringing. Not sure if father and daughter had or have any contact.
    Ray's skills in music are at the top level. His parenting skills are less than par, to put it kindly.

25. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

What a coincidence. After not paying any attention to The Kinks since the 80's and 90's I've recently been listening to them again.
    Listened to everything up to Lola and will be moving on to the rest.
    I love their early sound and releases but I guess to me they really take off with Face to Face.

I really enjoy all of the odd rarities that are sprinkled around.
    Their some great stuff on The Great Lost Kinks Album and Kink Kronikles.

And as a further coincidence I've spent all afternoon listening and working on a recording of their last concert ever 1996-06-15.
    Sounds great.

I was able to see The Kinks 2 or 3 times. Once in the early 80's and then in the 90's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.