The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I played the new stereo LP today and it’s really good. Makes you forget it’s 50 years old.

savemenow and btltez like this.
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes!! :pineapple:

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Oh God, is there a thread on it yet?

4. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Poor Ray...he seems frail.

5. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

yeah. made me sad. he does not seem ok.

6. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

Thought he looked fairly frail in the Channel 4 interview in the summer but he didn't look or sound too clever there.

7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i saw that interview as well. i just know the announcer was trying to goad ray into getting political.he did seem slightly frail.
    he is what 74? and had been shot in the leg. he sounds good on the last album. just don't get your hopes up for any big kinks re union. dave aint exactly the picture of heath either these days.

FJFP likes this.
  8. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

I've not heard his last couple of albums. Worth seeking out?

You're right. I had hoped up for some sort of Kinks reunion in the past but had written it off once Dave had his stroke. Based on recent footage and interviews the ship may have sailed, and maybe that's for the better.
    I think people do tend to forget that Ray's generation are well into their pensioner years rather than the image we may have of them in their pomp.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Both Americana albums are excellent and well worth checking out.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

regarding the last two ray davies albums i think they are rather strong showings. the jayhawks ( the backing band) act as a great foil for ray. the songs are strong and ray sounds in good voice to me. it all depends on how big a fan you are i guess. i love the kinks up to and through the RCA years. can't get into their music after that.oddly enough i quite like all the last four or five ray davis solo records including of course the two americana records.

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Just found the digital special edition (or whatever it's called) on the Australia-based Zdigital website (Australian equivalent of 7digital I believe). It seems to be in a coherent, logical order now, unlike the digital version that was first released.

Perhaps everyone knew about this already. I didn't.

...a VGPS would fit into a similar category for me - one of my favourite albums but never a very satisfying audio experience...

...but this has been discussed at length here already so I'll pipe down.

Grunge Master, pobbard and Dave Hoos like this.
  13. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Missing `autograph photo`received today by signed for special delivery, I thought it was a court summons! A 8"x10" colour photo with err, autographs underneath on glossy quality paper.

So if you haven`t contacted BMG I suggest you do so because the are fulfilling their promise.

Sorry not worked out the photo thingy and haven`t got the time to fiddle with apps or whatever, I`ve promised Mrs richierichie that I would get the carpet shampoo machine out and shampoo the lounge carpet to the accompaniment of VGPS PLAYED AT FULL BLAST!!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My missing photo arrived today too - much larger than I was expecting - I was expecting something around postcard size - it's almost A4!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Who do you email for the photo?

dormouse and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. JP Christian

it's actually 10" x 8"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. JP Christian

lightbulb and aoxomoxoa like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A system of German Industrial Standarts used to define the size of paper sheets.

20. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

mine arrived today too

21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

is it only UK who can get the photo?

22. Did you just get a new box of crayons? :tiphat:

23. stiofan

stiofan Forum Resident

From the Hoffman Forum 13 August 2028:

In this interview with Ray Davies with Radio Times magazine, it states:

"He’s also hoping to inaugurate next year’s 60th anniversary of his most acclaimed album, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968)". It's understood that the new boxset will include OOPS versions of previously released tracks, as well as the fabled 10 x 8 photo that was unaccountably omitted from the 2018 boxset. In a move that left many Kinks fans puzzled at the time, Sir Ray omitted the photo from the 2018 boxset just before it was released, although a few sets with the photo were reportedly sent to fans in Scandinavia and New Zealand. This so-called "Six photo set" has become the holy grail of Kinks Kompletists."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  24. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

No.

btltez likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No, a new iPhone! :biglaugh:

btltez likes this.