The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Oh ok. It’s still listed on KindaKinks.net which is where I learned about it.

I guess that’s why they’re not on the 2004 set.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I'm not holding out for much on this if Union Square music are only spending £1k on the design of the packaging....

[​IMG]

I suppose it could be a different release but I doubt it.

I already have the 3CD set and can't see what more they could add to that (maybe Till Death Us Do Part). I was looking forward to a well designed package to make the anniversary edition something special. I guess I should wait to see what it looks like but my expectations aren't too high.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

You freak.

5. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

My 12 yr old son loves this album though he has no idea who or what it is.
    Every time I play it I find him humming along and tapping along, then singing melodies after it's finished without even realising he's doing it.

I've sunk this deep into his subconscious :)

6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Godammit! Wish I’d known about that in time!

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Is this the BBC show (can't recall the name) that The Small Faces did Ogden on?

It's the show that the Bonzos did and their appearance was recently rediscovered.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I need to get on the case.

9. rediffusion

£1k for a job like that? You would barely make minimum wage.

10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i was under the impression that americana 2 was recorded at the same time as 1

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Julie Felix show appearance:

12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Surely they'll use the original artwork but just jazz it up a bit by changing the colours etc. Probably a day's work for a grand.

13. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I really like the Muswell legacy release.

Rekkerds and pobbard like this.
  14. rediffusion

It's that sort of approach that makes these reissues pointless. If you're going to celebrate the 50th anniversary make it special, don't just "jazz it up a bit"

longdist01 likes this.
  15. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Booklets, mastering and extra tracks yes but I actually want the original artwork.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

It largely was. Gary Louris of The Jayhawks said they recorded 30 songs during the Americana sessions.

Hep Alien and malco49 like this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I know, but;

1) I’m a wannabe graphic designer on the ground floor of trying to get a career going. Believe me, I’ve seen bigger jobs advertised for less reward in this gig economy.
    2) I’m a huge Kinks fan. If this gig was what folk here suspect it was, I’d have done it for free in this case. (I know that makes me part of the problem, but it’s The Kinks!).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Shaddam IV likes this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

No, the existing colour Kinks clip (as posted above by longdist01) is from 'Once More With Felix', which was a BBC2 variety music show presented by folk singer Julie Felix. The Kinks made their guest appearance in January 1969.

The show that the Small Faces and Bonzos made famed colour appearances on was 'Colour Me Pop':Colour Me Pop - Wikipedia which was a half hour show usually devoted to just one artist. It was initially presented by Michael Dean but latterly had no presenter.

The Small Faces edition is one of the few complete Colour Me Pop shows that still survive. The BBC always held 2 songs from the Bonzo Dog Band edition, Urban Spaceman and Canyons. A third (Mr Apollo) in poor quality floated about the bootleg world for years but was returned to the BBC in 2016. Also in 2016, the Archive tv society Kaleidoscope found and restored a 6 minute film insert from the Bonzos CMP edition of band introductions set to 'Rhinocratic Oaths' and '11 Mustachioed Daughters' from the archive of CMP producer Steve Turner. Also found in Turner's archive was a b/w telerecording of the whole Bonzos show, however it was water damaged and unplayable. A kickstarter fund was set up to finance it's restoration (which I advertised here) that was fulfilled; however restoration (despite an announcement previously that it was thought it was ready to be shown) is still ongoing at present. Sorry for the info dump here but I do some amateur research into Colour Me Pop and I was tangentially involved in the recent Bonzos recovery.

The Kinks did appear on their own half hour Colour Me Pop show in July 1968, but the visuals are lost. An off air audio survives and is on the Kinks at the BBC box. An excerpt can be heard here:

19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Great story. Interesting that Ray Davies composed part of this album with his young daughters in mind, so the fact that children would love this album is not surprising.

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Kinks twitter just posted this..

[​IMG]

21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

When it says “Kinks Remastered”, I’m wonderIng if they might be referring to the possible hi-res releases Andrew teased about on Twitter a few months back?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. rediffusion

No disrespect to you but a release like this shouldn't be using 'wannabe graphic designers'

longdist01 and ajsmith like this.
  23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Apparently they're going to be putting actual samples of Muswell Hill grass and earth in the boxset.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  25. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident