The Kinks - Arthur deluxe boxset - October 25, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by donl, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Bah, more of my beer money hijacked and spoken for.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll fill more than two or three cds beyond stereo/mono/alt-outtakes/...live show(?), but I very much look forward to finding out.

I'm speculating hopefully into the wind here, but perhaps the warm reception to the VGPS SDE might have persuaded Ray to open up his demos vault...

2. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I'm thinking a 5.1 of any album from the Pye era is unlikely, sadly, as much as I'd love to hear one.

So I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) if they're doing an Arthur 50th, then a Lola one will be a given. I'm not sure I have enough saliva to last until 2020 in anticipation of that one.

Elliottmarx and btltez like this.
  3. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

"Open the pod bay demo vault doors, Ray..." :agree: :D

Elliottmarx and Surferghost like this.
  4. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I am a big Kinks fan but am not too keen on Arthur.

qm1ceveb and Zack like this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Interesting to see what transpires, I rate Arthur even higher than VGPS.

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

:eek: Oh man, it's my favorite, one of my favorite albums of all time.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I read this thread title as “King Arthur at 50.” Made no sense to me...

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Perhaps changing it to Kinks 'Arthur' at 50 would work better?

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  9. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I love Arthur. If there was poll (please God no) for the greatest emotive backing vocals on an album then Arthur would win no contest. For me the backing vocals holds it all together.
    But Village Green will always be the greater album for me because it doesn't have the the aptly titled "Nothing To Say"

Zack likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

Ray has plenty (of depth) to say on Arthur eg: Some Mothers Son, Shangri-la etc.
    I see an evolving maturity.

Rekkerds and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Happy 50th Arthur Morgan

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  12. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

I've heard that Shel Talmy has a vault in California where he has tapes of a lot of his recordings. Pretty much all of his Easybeats recordings of the time still exist I believe, from mixes to mulitracks. If this is the case, he likely has a fair bit from his time with the Kinks. We have seen session material before with the 'Anthology 1964-1971' set, even then chances of remixes of the Pye material is small because of the fact many were done on 2 or 4 tracks and the fact that the number of people who would buy say a remix of 'Kinda Kinks' is kinda (no pun intended) small.

tages and croquetlawns like this.
  13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I had asked exact the same question Alec Palao who was going through all Shel tapes. He said that due to contract with Pye he never owned any Kinks masters.

Also remix of pre-1966 stuff is just impossible because most (or all) songs were recorded direct to mono. No multi's

14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I don't get it. "Nothing to Say" is commentary about relationships between aging parents and their grown children in a postwar working class milieu in the UK. Arthur was supposed to be the soundtrack to a TV drama of course. Not sure if you were trying to be funny, and being from Oldham Lancashire while I'm from the shores of Chesapeake Bay you may know something I don't, but I think "Nothing to Say" has plenty to say.

15. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Takes all sorts.

16. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

Six months on from the mammoth VGPS boxset, and disc four of the remixes still hasn't left my 'Now Playing' pile. The sonic clarity of those stereo remixes was stunning. However, I think of all their 1960s output, "Arthur" has the best stereo mix, so I'm not sure if they will remix it. I know it's spaced out, but that somehow adds to the magic of it because you can really focus in on certain parts of the recording with each listen. The depth and quality to every track on the LP is amazing.

I very much see VGPS and Arthur as Part One and Part Two, with VGPS setting out the typical British values but Arthur delivering the crushing reality. I can't pick one over the other, they're both brilliant for totally opposite reasons. VGPS is the low-fi intimate but sedate album about British life and Arthur is a really sharp, fully fleshed out and bold album about British life. If anyone every questions why the Kinks are so revered, give them these two albums to see the incredible depth and diversity of their back catalogue.

17. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Sorry I meant it has nothing to say musically. It is not a good song and for me lets the album down.
    Back in Oldham we call it "filler."

18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Arthur' was the first Kinks recordings on 8 track. Hence if the multi's are available a 5.1 mix is possible. Could be amazing.

It's a great sounding record as/is.

19. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

VGPS50 had some pretty cool stuff with the demos, 70s takes, and "recent" show. It showed a great progression from original concept, to album release, to continued tinkering. I'd love to see something similar with Arthur, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the vaults were pretty dry for Arthur.

Who knows! I do like Arthur more than VGPS right now, so we'll see what happens.

20. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Same here. Still listening to that box. Disc 4 was the BBC stuff though wasn't it? Disc 5 had the alt stereo mixes. AmIwrong? Either way I agree with all you say

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

In 1970 I bought the 45 of "Victoria" and discovered "Mr Churchill Says" on the B Side.
    I wore that 45 out!

22. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

73-minute version of "Australia."

23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I always loved the piano intro and learned how to play it.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  24. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

Sure, wait until you see the interest rate.

btltez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.