The Kinks - Arthur deluxe boxset - October 25, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by donl, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

What were you guys expecting? Not every album has 5-6 CDs worth of outtakes associated with it.

Tommyboy, TimeWarper, btltez and 4 others like this.
  3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Standalone 2LP set...

[​IMG]

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I love Ray, but I don't like when he insists on fobbing off new material on a box set that theoretically should only focus on recordings done circa 1969 or so. Regardless of what you think of the song, The Dop Wop Choir does not belong here.

5. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Same here. But I need a stereo version as well :D

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Speaking for myself, I'm disappointed that the mono and stereo vinyl LPs were not included like they were for the VGPS set. If they're going to include 7" singles then they should go ahead and include the 12" LPs.

The inclusion of the "Great Lost Dave Davies" album is also questionable when Hidden Treasures is still widely available and can be had cheap.

7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't know, two of them are the same songs as the "2019 mixes".

It's not as dazzling as the VGPS set, but I expected that, knowing there was less material. In any case, I'm very happy they included the Dave album in its own right, and another collection of demos. I hope Ray has finally overcome his reticence to release this type of material.

Also, the price is very reasonable, considering it's only one CD less than VGPS. Of course, this is mostly due yo the albums not being included in vinyl, but that's the right call. If someone wants the vinyl, they can buy it separately.

Great news, Kinks' fellow fans! :goodie:

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Ray Davies will be talking about this release on BBC 6 Music today, while playing the brand new track ’The Future’. It's on at 2:30pm or so UK time. That's 9:30am NY time, 6:30am LA time.

Listen live here: Radio 6 Music - Listen Live - BBC Sounds

9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Would be nice if true, but then I wonder why they specifically refer to two new remixes by Ray...

FJFP and tug_of_war like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

All those Kinks store links say "not found".
    It looks like a nicely put together package.
    It is a very good album.
    I would probably only have been interested in this if it had had a Quad or 5.1 mix/remix. I am happy with the copy of the album I have, and rarely if ever listen to demos or outtakes to be honest.
    I'm glad they have made it available for those that love this stuff though

tug_of_war and All Down The Line like this.
  11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I don't mind so much if Ray really considers this new material to be a continuation of or expansion on the Arthur project. I kind of liked the 'ongoing 50 year project' concept of the VGPS box, despite reservations I expressed here. I think it eventually won round a lot of other fans on this thread who were initially sceptical about latter days tracks being included. Those 2010 live tracks on the VGPS are indeed truly magical and worthwhile, despite looking like filler on paper.

What I am a bit worried by is what is clearly a 2019 era Ray solo track backed by doo wop singers being unequivocally billed as 'The Kinks' on their official channel: seems a bit misleading to say the least. Unless there's an inaudible Dave Davies contribution on this track somewhere.

12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

So what's 'The Future'? A song written during that era, recorded recently?

tug_of_war and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I understand what you say, but I still think it is stretching things just to pad out the box.

I too loved seeing the tour when Ray did the VGPS tracks circa 2010. But I did not need them included in a KINKS box set. If Ray loved them too, he should have released them as a standalone product or in some other Ray-only compilation. That's just my opinion.

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That's looking the go for me......
    ...unless Iam a Michael Lindsay-Hogg

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

looks interesting

Crimson Witch likes this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I found it and ordered.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Then why issue super deluxe boxes for such albums when there's barely interesting and surviving material for it? 2011 Deluxe is perfectly fine.
    This new track Future have absolutely nothing to do with 1969 album or era, nothing! Dave material available elsewhere on cheap CD.

Ray again give us EXCERPTS of his demos when he could probably can fill half a CD with complete songs. Yet we got some doo woop modern crap. Just imagine Syd era Pink Floyd box set where they devotes space to Nick Mason's band live covers from recent tours. Or Revolver deluxe with disc devoted to McCartney live covers from 2010 of Revolver songs.

We live in world where there's no deluxe editions of any Byrds album from classic era (1965-67), no SDE or even deluxe editions of Buffalo Springfield albums, no SDE for Revolver or Rubber Soul. No deluxe edition of A Saucerful Of Secrets either. Yet all those albums have tons of surviving outtakes and multi's for almost each album for remix. Just totally baffling.

:thumbsdow

19. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

3. Home Demos Medley, 1969: Arthur / Victoria / Some Mother's Son / Drivin' /
    Brainwashed / Mr. Churchill Says (TV Premix) (Mono)

Urrggghhh!!! Just like the VG box, the ONE essential element on these boxes are being reduced to 30 sec. snippets.

I'm sorry, but why are these presented that way?? Are they holding out for somekind of large payday for these demos??

Infuriating to say the least.

20. hallucalation

Ray thinks that Future track are more important than home demos from 1969 for 1969 album.

yardbuzzard and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Ray is on BBC Radio 6 music now talking about the 50th anniversary release of Arthur and working with his brother.

FJFP and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

He shows that he's not a relic from the past cashing on old glory, but still is able to deliver new material he is willing to share with us.
    And be honest, how often would you play a full CD with Ray Davies demo's? Once? Will you shut it off halfway, or skip through the tracks?

Shaddam IV and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. hallucalation

He is exactly cashing on old glory. Otherwise he would issue it on new Kinks album or some sort of separate solo project. But people are forced to buy it as part of 1969 package.
    Are you willing to pay for half-assed McCartney new tunes on Disc 3 of Revolver deluxe, for example? They would made space for that by removing his own or Lennon demos from 1966.

Ray Davies 1969 demos for 1969 LP should be essential part of the package. Otherwise why pay for that if we already have 2011 deluxe? To have another useless single edit of Lincoln Country in collection?

25. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It’s half and half. Because he could just issue an already existing demo recording with zero work by comparison.

ajsmith and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.